Macross Ultimate Frontier for the Sony PSP.

UN Spacy

Man....I might finally break down and get a PSP now. You guys think it'll play on the PSPgo when that comes out?

Man I bought a Sega Saturn just to play the Macross DRYL game....then a Dreamcast just to play the Macross M3 game and yes I only have one game for each system.

Sigh.....well the Dreamcast did come with Sonic, but that doesn't count.

Macross....has cost me a lot of money....

LOL

My PS one was bought to play all games. Ahh those were the days all you needed was a chip and a decent multi scan T.V.

My Japanese Ceramic White PS2 was bought just to play Macross Playstation games which I bought for it while in Tokyo. In fact the only other game its ever had inside it was ACE and even that has a VF1 in it :)

My PSP was bought in Japan too and I only own one english game for it. My MAF UMD used to live in it but now I have the rip on the memory stick in it all the time, not that I play much else any how.

Most likely the firmware will need an update Sony are unlikely to miss the chance of an update before the release date. Oh well the likes of dark Alex will sort it for everyone in the Modified firmware world. My guess will be it will be available in UMD and download for the PSPgo.

Sony memsticks are comming down in price but will never be as cheap as SD or Compact flash due to everyone having to pay Sony a royalty for each one sold/made. Capacity hikes will force a general price drop over time, so this will be good news all round.

Man....I might finally break down and get a PSP now. You guys think it'll play on the PSPgo when that comes out?

Man I bought a Sega Saturn just to play the Macross DRYL game....then a Dreamcast just to play the Macross M3 game and yes I only have one game for each system.

Me too! I bought a PSP 2000 last year just to play Mac Ace Frontier and it is pretty much the only thing I have been playing since Christmas. I actually got Metal Gear Portable Ops at the same time, but I have not played that for more than one or two hours, heh.

I really did my homework and caught up on as much as I could about homebrew and emulators, etc, before I bought it, but I still got stuck with that dreaded TA-88v3 motherboard. Still, I had no complaints, because Mac Ace Frontier really was worth it and more.

And just last week I discovered something called ChickHEN... Well, needless to say I now think the PSP is an awesome machine of unparalleled potential. I have all those excellent SNES classics like Mario All-Stars, Axelay (which runs a bit slow, unfortunately), Super Aleste, Zelda, etc....

Plus I'm watching my way through Ulysses 31. I never sat down to watch it properly until now..

Heh, I'm the same. Pretty much all my game systems, with the exception of the Sega MegaDrive have been bought to play Macross Games, let's see: -

1. Bought my Nintendo Super Famicom to play Scrambled Valkyrie.
  2. Bought My Sony Playstation to play VFX. Luckily, VF-X2, DYRL & MPGE were also released.
  3. Bought my Sega Saturn to play M3.
  4. Bought a Nintendo Gameboy to play the M7 game (what a waste of money).
  5. Bought my Sony PS2 to play the Macross Game.
  6. Bought my Sony PSP to play MAF.

Graham

Graham, did you not also bought the BanDai Wonderswan just for the Macross game? :p

I know I bought the PS2 just for the Macros game but luckily found some other good games to make the costly console worthwhile.

I think games will still be made for the normal PSP for some time even after the PSP Go is released, just like they still release new PS2 games!

As for info on the Sony memory sticks (all formats), there is news that Sony have formally abandon this format for its Sony Ericsson mobile phones, so likely all other Sony peripherals will follow suit. This is good news as most other mass storage device formats are cheaper than Sony's own!

Graham, did you not also bought the BanDai Wonderswan just for the Macross game? :p

I know I bought the PS2 just for the Macros game but luckily found some other good games to make the costly console worthwhile.

I remember buying the wonderswan Macross game, but I really can't remember if I actually bought a Wonderswan for it, as I don't remember ever actually playing the game.

Oh, I also have loads of other games for my consoles, but the Macross games were what got me to buy them first of all.

Besides Macross, the games I play the most are the Ace Combat Series. I also used to be heavily into Armored Core on The Playstation, but for some reason never got into it on the PS2.

Graham

I think games will still be made for the normal PSP for some time even after the PSP Go is released, just like they still release new PS2 games!

As for info on the Sony memory sticks (all formats), there is news that Sony have formally abandon this format for its Sony Ericsson mobile phones, so likely all other Sony peripherals will follow suit. This is good news as most other mass storage device formats are cheaper than Sony's own!

The PSPGo is not meant to phase out the regular PSP. It's just that they're now offering games in two formats now.

What? Sony Ericsons use the same memory stick pro duos as the PSP? Don't they have micro/mini versions of the pro duo for that purpose?

Another Century's Episode series for PS2 is great too. Before MAF, I think it had the best Valkyrie combat system (plus it's cool to have Gundams and such as your wingmen).

And of course, am a big Super Robot Wars fan too. Hearing that Macross was in SRW Alpha was what got me into that franchise.

Graham, Gundam Battle Universe, nearly as fun as Ace Frontier!

I'll pass thanks.

I'm really not a fan of the Gundam franchise. Can't stand the design aesthetics of most Mobile Suits and dislike the science and technology, world backgroound, characters.....well, you can say I pretty much dislike everything about Gundam.

Used to like Gundam Sentinel, but I've even gone off that now.

Graham

Another Century's Episode series for PS2 is great too. Before MAF, I think it had the best Valkyrie combat system (plus it's cool to have Gundams and such as your wingmen).

And of course, am a big Super Robot Wars fan too. Hearing that Macross was in SRW Alpha was what got me into that franchise.

Yeah, the ACE series is great. I never have Gundams as my wingmen. Macross all the way!

Graham

Yeah, the ACE series is great. I never have Gundams as my wingmen. Macross all the way!

Graham

Oh, me too. I just like the fact that you have the option of choosing to do. It's a crossover-fan's dream!

I really can't wait until MUF comes out, although I still haven't gotten S rank on Friendly Fire on MAF yet. I suppose I should keep trying...

Oh! ACE! Another game I really like. Since I'm a Macross AND Gundam fan, my favorite combination is VF-1 Hikaru, YF-19 and Wing Zero.

In ACE 2, however, I go for VF-1 (Hikaru), Wing Zero (Heero) and Akito (Aestivalis). Sometimes changing the Wing Zero for the Tallgeese III.

Did they ever port SRW Alpa 1 or 2 to PSP? Seems like an easy decision, and no one apparently wants to part with their PS2 copies.

No, no one has (MX has though, but it has no Macross). However, if you're running custom firmware, you can convert the SWRA PSX discs to run on the PSP. The same translation group that worked on making English patches for the original Super Robot Wars 1 and 3 has released a (mostly untested) beta patch for Gaiden back in Dec (they're also working on Alpha 1, but like Gaiden, they've been working on it for years and Alpha I guess has a bigger script) which works rather well although seems to be a bit buggy when run on a PSP (not so much when using a PC emulator) so applying the patch and then converting the discs yourself to PSP format is a good way to experience some portable (real) SRW action in English.

Edited by sdf2501

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this site has some (scratch that: LOTS) new screenshots and models from the upcoming game (including some of those from Macross II like the VF-2SS):

http://www.gpara.com/comingsoon/psp_macross_ultimate/090724/

The various "packs" look awesome!

I see some screens with up to six wingmen.

And...is that a playable Quarter Pounder I see? :)

Edit: Would love some English translations of some of the blurbs from those who know Japanese better than I, especially of the Heroine System if there are details provided on how that's all supposed to work. From what I can see, in addition to Sheryl and Ranka, there's both flavors of Minmei, Sybil from 7, Myung from Plus, Sara from Zero, and Elma Hollie from Dynamite 7.

Edited by sdf2501

OMG, civillian VT-1C from Dynamite! VF-25G with Sound Boosters!! Dare I say this game may even have the kitchen sink!

I'm looking at the hanger options, and there's a new one listed as "shop" Maybe the fast packs have to be purchsed with points/unlocked for each unit? Maybe we won't have to have a seperate fast pack/non variation for each fighter this time. Can't wait to find out.

Machine translation seems to help a bit. Though I can't quite tell if it says only the VF-2SS & Gilgamesh will appear from Macross II, hopefully that's not the case. It looks like the support character will be involved with the assignment/effectiveness of support skills. Whether they be entirely different support skills than the already exsting pilot/mecha skills I'm not sure. It also says this time around, Sheryl & Ranka will lead the tutorial missions.

Around 40 pilot characters, around 100 mecha, I "really" hope all the stats I'm just about done levelling up carry over, and that we get more series specific operator options, not just Misa.

I've been wondering if you will be able to carry over saved stats from MAF to MUF. Can you carry them over in the Gundam games?

Yes, but conditoinally. As of current, your original pilot character doesn't maintain any stat changes, but your mecha retain all tune points. "however," you can't actually use all those tune points, until you unlock the stat limiter in the new game, and you sitll have to unlock the mecha itself all over again. As for new mecha, you get a certain amount of bonus tune points for each mecha, for each previous gundam game save you have at the start, which is a definate plus. I'm hoping they elaborate on this to include show character stats & love/respect levels.

^ If that's the case, then I guess I've got a lot of work to do... <_<

Just curious, in the old game, was Minmei an unlockable character portrait (and if so, what are the conditions)? I've got a blank spot between Klan Klan (Miclone) and Akimizu Yuu, and wondered if that was Minmei. I haven't S ranked Friendly Fire yet, so that could also be Brera, but I recall seeing a Minmei portrait in one of the screengrabs from the magazines and wondered if it was possible to get it?

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this site has some (scratch that: LOTS) new screenshots and models from the upcoming game (including some of those from Macross II like the VF-2SS):

Looking good, graphic isn't maybe the best but is still acceptable. Now if only gameplay will be nice then I think that I buy this game ^_^

Looks also like you can actually use the Minmay attack al la Macross II, also looks like it will be the Sheryl or Ranka attack too.

I hope that you can play online with multi wing men. What I'd really like though is mission play multiplay with a really hard level setting, somthing where you are seriously out numbered etc.

Actually, Minmay could be used for Freeplay in MAF, although she didn't speak.

Nope, that wasn't a playable character at all, just a portrait for your player card. There's no way to pilot as Minmay in Ace Frontier.

And...is that a playable Quarter Pounder I see? :)

Edit: Would love some English translations of some of the blurbs from those who know Japanese better than I, especially of the Heroine System if there are details provided on how that's all supposed to work. From what I can see, in addition to Sheryl and Ranka, there's both flavors of Minmei, Sybil from 7, Myung from Plus, Sara from Zero, and Elma Hollie from Dynamite 7.

Looks like you can remove the GBP from the 1J during the game!!! COOL!

Well, from what I could read from the gpara site (my Japanese is rusty and was not THAT good from the start), the support character system consists of "equipping" a heroine from a Macross series. Let's say I pick Sheryl (since I like her better than Ranka), my Valkyrie gets an Auto Skill and a Command Skill.

An interesting thing is that we'll get a tutorial from Sheryl and Ranka for play mechanics, with Sheryl's trademark "I don't do this kind of service often, so be thankful for it" line. Well, in-character tutorial sounds fun. I just wonder what would Sheryl say about piloting a Valkyrie, seeing as she started as a n00b and ended as a n00b.

Aside from Pinon Colette, two of the original characters get names (What? Why now?): Kagura Yuuto and Shirakawa Miyuki (Japanese naming order).

Please correct me if I made a mistake... or several...

On a side note, it seems the VF-2SS is just going to be a guest mecha, so I'm guessing we won't get Silvie as a pilot? No Ishtar? Boohoo...

Well, from what I could read from the gpara site (my Japanese is rusty and was not THAT good from the start), the support character system consists of "equipping" a heroine from a Macross series. Let's say I pick Sheryl (since I like her better than Ranka), my Valkyrie gets an Auto Skill and a Command Skill.

An interesting thing is that we'll get a tutorial from Sheryl and Ranka for play mechanics, with Sheryl's trademark "I don't do this kind of service often, so be thankful for it" line. Well, in-character tutorial sounds fun. I just wonder what would Sheryl say about piloting a Valkyrie, seeing as she started as a n00b and ended as a n00b.

Aside from Pinon Colette, two of the original characters get names (What? Why now?): Kagura Yuuto and Shirakawa Miyuki (Japanese naming order).

Please correct me if I made a mistake... or several...

On a side note, it seems the VF-2SS is just going to be a guest mecha, so I'm guessing we won't get Silvie as a pilot? No Ishtar? Boohoo...

We may still get Silvie, the last Gundam game only had the F91, Vigna Ghina, & Raflessa from said show, but also had Seabrook, Cecily, & her father. So at the very least we should get Silvie & Feff.

Guess that means we're goint to have to wait for Macross Extreme Frontier for a full Macross II campaign...

Nope, that wasn't a playable character at all, just a portrait for your player card. There's no way to pilot as Minmay in Ace Frontier.

That's funny, you see, because I'M USING HER RIGHT NOW.

Sorry about the quality, these were taken with a cell phone camera.

0728092244.th.jpg0728092249.th.jpg

Edited by D.D. Ivanov

Strangely enough, I don't have Minmay in my roster. According to your picture, she should be right inbetween Kakizaki & Kamjin, but I've got no spot there.

I wonder though, did you gold SS all the freeplay missions? I've got most of them only silvered, with only 2 silver campain missions to gold SS. Only in network freeplay maybe?

Edited by Keith

That's funny, you see, because I'M USING HER RIGHT NOW.

Sorry about the quality, these were taken with a cell phone camera.

0728092244.th.jpg0728092249.th.jpg

Is that Minmay piloting the SDF1.... coolio