Kawamori interview 1998

Renato

I don't know about that...in Animerica Magazine, they used to have a column written by the manager of Manga no Mori, the big comic chain store in Japan. He generally tried to be fair an impartial, but he said (at the beginning of Macross 7's run) that everyone seemed to be confused by it. There were too many questions (Who is the enemy? Why does the main character, a civilian no less, have the latest type Valkyrie? What happened to the other old characters?), and he said it seemed like disconnected pieces of a story floating around.

More anecdotally, three of my Japanese friends like Macross. One of them says Macross 7 is his favorite (because of the music; he doesn't think the story is all that great). One of them said he didn't like it at all (although he likes the music). The third one hadn't seen it, so I let her borrow my DVDs. I think she got about seven or eight episodes in before she said, "Don't I have to watch this? I'm really getting tired of this 'Ore no uta o kiké' stuff." I told her it got better, but she still never finished it.

So it seems to me that perhaps the music is more popular than the show is. :unsure:

or maybe aside from the music, the perceived popularity of M7 was because it was the first true TV series that followed the original SDFM, hence it had a fanbase that was still very enthusiastic about the franchise. whether or not they still remained enthusiastic after M7... well, judging by your post, looks like it could be mixed.

or maybe aside from the music, the perceived popularity of M7 was because it was the first true TV series that followed the original SDFM, hence it had a fanbase that was still very enthusiastic about the franchise. whether or not they still remained enthusiastic after M7... well, judging by your post, looks like it could be mixed.

Err... I read somewhere that one of the main reasons for M7 success in Japan was the fact that during that time (the 90s) there were lots of Fire Bomber type bands in the entertainment scene there... Those were the popular things back then. Right now is more about pop divas and stuff I believe, ergo the success of Sheryl and Ranka... :rolleyes:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Err... I read somewhere that one of the main reasons for M7 success in Japan was the fact that during that time (the 90s) there were lots of Fire Bomber type bands in the entertainment scene there... Those were the popular things back then. Right now is more about pop divas and stuff I believe, ergo the success of Sheryl and Ranka... :rolleyes:

Bon Jovi = band boom in japan

ergo

Bon Jovi = Macross 7!!

Bomba!!! :lol:

"Popularity in Japan" has always been difficult to define. Society is extremely segregated. Good luck finding someone who has seen Macross 7. I have lived in Japan for several years and found maybe only a handful of people who have seen it (and I mean like five or six), most people think Basara is annoying, only one person said "oh, I remember this show" when I sang a Fire Bomber song at karaoke.

I read somewhere that even Ichiro Itano did not want to work on M7 because once he saw faces on the valks he said, "the hell with this".

On the other hand, if I were to point out CD sales, it's another story: I remember that many M7 albums were in the top 10 anime charts for a couple of years, even well after the show ended. Galaxy Network Chart vol.2 and a load of drama albums were released in 1996, when there was no new M7 anime. Then 1997 came and Dynamite 7 came out.

Plus the show itself ran for an entire year.

I don't know how to gauge popularity in Japan. Supposedly the Beatles were popular, but you wouldn't know it. Supposedly Evangelion and GiTS are popular, but you'd be hard-pressed to meet anyone who has seen them. It's just a society of subcultures. There is hardly any mainstream left. A lot of young people do not even have a TV.

I was talking about Ted Hughes's "The Iron Man" with a university student and I said "Do not confuse it with the Marvel character IronMan, though!" And she didn't know what I was talking about. "You know... red and gold... they made a huge movie recently..?" "No. Don't know."

The only thing I can say with certainty is that Ghibli films are popular.

Edited by Renato

I don't know how to gauge popularity in Japan. Supposedly the Beatles were popular, but you wouldn't know it. Supposedly Evangelion and GiTS are popular, but you'd be hard-pressed to meet anyone who has seen them. It's just a society of subcultures. There is hardly any mainstream left. A lot of young people do not even have a TV.

very very interesting point. people outside japan can only guess at what is "popular" in japan. likewise, i think there's a tendency for outsiders to see a huge group of fans gathering for a particular show (for example, melancholy of haruhi suzumiya), and conclude that most of japan is in on it as well. From a marketing perspective, the idea that japan is made up of countless subcultures, and that a product should be happy enough to capture at least one of these subcultures, is very fascinating to me.

Can you give me an idea of something media-related in japan that is truly mainstream, other than ghibli films? a particular manga or show or movie, perhaps?

Can you give me an idea of something media-related in japan that is truly mainstream, other than ghibli films? a particular manga or show or movie, perhaps?

Yeah, celebrities and idols like SMAP and Wada Akiko, etc.

A good example of your point is Beat Takeshi. In the West he is known as an award-winning filmmaker, but in Japan nobody has really seen his movies, they all know him dressing up as a clown on TV. And yes, he is still doing that on regular prime time most weekdays. I have no idea how he manages to find time to make any movies.

A good example of your point is Beat Takeshi. In the West he is known as an award-winning filmmaker, but in Japan nobody has really seen his movies, they all know him dressing up as a clown on TV. And yes, he is still doing that on regular prime time most weekdays. I have no idea how he manages to find time to make any movies.

Thanks. at least no surprise there with the pop idols. :)

I was talking about Ted Hughes's "The Iron Man" with a university student and I said "Do not confuse it with the Marvel character IronMan, though!" And she didn't know what I was talking about. "You know... red and gold... they made a huge movie recently..?" "No. Don't know."

Heh. Reminds me of about twelve years ago, when I was really getting into the band Kome Kome Club. I had heard that the singer had directoed a movie ("Kappa"), and I asked a bunch of my friends about it. No one had seen it, but everyone had heard that it was good. When I rented it, I even asked the video store clerks, "Is it good?"

"Mmm...I heard it was good," one of them said, "but I didn't see it." The other one nodded and said, "Me too."

To this day, the only people I know who have seen it are myself, my girlfriend at the time (who I watched it with), and one of my other friends who's a total Kome Kome Club nut.

(Oh, and it turns out it wasn't very good. Beautifully filmed, though.)

Another thing to keep in mind is when M7 came on, that was almost 14 years ago. Those people who watched it then are now in their late 20s now. Even kids who would have watched it back then are now college kids. It's like asking us "Do you remember EXO Squad or Star Trek:TNG?" I watched a few clips on Youtube and the thought "Oh yeah, I remember that" pops into my head. Heck, I'm starting to forget most of the minor details of RDM's BSG now and that show ended months ago. So I'm not surprised that people have forgotten M7. In another year or 2, people will start to forget about Macross Frontier (TV).

"Popularity in Japan" has always been difficult to define. Society is extremely segregated. Good luck finding someone who has seen Macross 7. I have lived in Japan for several years and found maybe only a handful of people who have seen it (and I mean like five or six), most people think Basara is annoying, only one person said "oh, I remember this show" when I sang a Fire Bomber song at karaoke.

I read somewhere that even Ichiro Itano did not want to work on M7 because once he saw faces on the valks he said, "the hell with this".

On the other hand, if I were to point out CD sales, it's another story: I remember that many M7 albums were in the top 10 anime charts for a couple of years, even well after the show ended. Galaxy Network Chart vol.2 and a load of drama albums were released in 1996, when there was no new M7 anime. Then 1997 came and Dynamite 7 came out.

Plus the show itself ran for an entire year.

Very interesting. I guess this social development is occuring worldwide (to a certain extent) with the spread of broadband internet and digital television. Mass media getting replaced by personalized media, with that change society gets segregated by interests and the collective memory disappears. Maybe the medium film is a bit more resilient to this change due to the limited number of productions?

You have friends who didn't like it, I have a number of Japanese friend in their late 20's who watched it as teenagers, loved it, and have told me that in their social circles it was quite popular at the time, and is still a memorable subject of nostalgia (along with G Gundam and other crazy-ass early 90's anime). But anecdotal evidence is all but worthless. If three encore LaserDiscs, and a 4 part OVA sequel aren't proof of populatiry, nothing is. I'd love to see the viewership numbers compared to the original, I'd reckon M7 consistently outperformed it.

• 2 months later...

I personnaly don't like the idea of none of the series/oav's are in the same "universe" or "reality".

This concept can be innovative, well-thought or anything, it breaks something to me .... I am very disappointed ....

I loved Macross, the first tv show (jut watched the whole series last week, never watched it before) and for me it's the "real" thing ... I wanted to continue watching it as a sequel but this stuff confuse me ...

So far I've only watched the 5 first episodes of Macross 7, and despite the Exsedol problem, I like it. But contrarily to many people, these songs annoy me, I don't like them, ... worst when Basara sing, it looks fake to me, the face and the lips doesn't fit the song. Anyway...

Thanks for this article, I now have the answers, ....

I personnaly don't like the idea of none of the series/oav's are in the same "universe" or "reality".

This concept can be innovative, well-thought or anything, it breaks something to me .... I am very disappointed ....

I loved Macross, the first tv show (jut watched the whole series last week, never watched it before) and for me it's the "real" thing ... I wanted to continue watching it as a sequel but this stuff confuse me ...

So far I've only watched the 5 first episodes of Macross 7, and despite the Exsedol problem, I like it. But contrarily to many people, these songs annoy me, I don't like them, ... worst when Basara sing, it looks fake to me, the face and the lips doesn't fit the song. Anyway...

Thanks for this article, I now have the answers, ....

Well, if that doesn't work for you, you can always go the Macross Chronicle route: The TV series is real. Do You Remember Love is a movie. Exsedol looks the way he does in Macross 7 because he reconfigured his body sometime in the 2020s.

Well, if that doesn't work for you, you can always go the Macross Chronicle route: The TV series is real. Do You Remember Love is a movie. Exsedol looks the way he does in Macross 7 because he reconfigured his body sometime in the 2020s.

Or he can just face the truth: Kawamori just "excluded" everything he probably didn't like at the sequels.

I was going to add "Waratte ii to omou" and "Sazae san".

Nevertheless, one has to keep in mind that the great cultural denominator, aka TV and movies, so prevalent in North American countries, has neither made as great a penetration into society, nor is as equally distributed. In short, most people are too busy to watch much, if any TV* and you'll be hard pressed to find a movie theatre in a major city.

But it's great to be able to go to a different city, or even different part of a major city, and find different things (usually, but not limited to specialty dishes and souvenirs).

*most of the time, TV plays in the background, complete with text updates of what was just said or happened, for those just tuning in or watching with the volume off.

Well, it may be a smart answer to avoid future inconsistency issues, but it'a a lazy answer to me.

One of the fun factors of sequels is the continuity. You want to know what goes on in the same universe. You want to know what happened before. Linking up of events.

However, Kawamori doesn't want to spend time and brainjuice to come up with a complete, intact storyline. So in future, if we see anything contradictive, it's just "different interpretation".

It's not anything ingenius, just laziness. :huh:

Well, it may be a smart answer to avoid future inconsistency issues, but it'a a lazy answer to me.

One of the fun factors of sequels is the continuity. You want to know what goes on in the same universe. You want to know what happened before. Linking up of events.

However, Kawamori doesn't want to spend time and brainjuice to come up with a complete, intact storyline. So in future, if we see anything contradictive, it's just "different interpretation".

It's not anything ingenius, just laziness. :huh:

That's a bit harsh. As far as I know, there haven't been any major timeline/continuity inconsistencies. the only reason the issue of continuity was raised (yet again) was the difference of appearance of Exedole. Other than the designs, i think the macross universe has done relatively well when it comes to continuity. So basically, we do know what's going on in the same universe. sure there may be differences in design, doesn't make the events less true, though. :) Also, I actually found Kawamori's "different media interpretations" concept of the macross universe quite interesting.

Edited by dreamweaver13

That's a bit harsh. As far as I know, there haven't been any major timeline/continuity inconsistencies. the only reason the issue of continuity was raised (yet again) was the difference of appearance of Exedole. Other than the designs, i think the macross universe has done relatively well when it comes to continuity. So basically, we do know what's going on in the same universe. doesn't make the events less true, though. :) Also, I actually found Kawamori's "different media interpretations" concept of the macross universe quite interesting.

Besides, it seems like it's pretty much par for the course for anime titles to have different timelines/continuities.

Macross hangs together better than most, including the big dogs like Yamato and Gundam.

Also, we should keep in mind that Kawamori was 25 years younger when he worked onto SDF – and he wasn't the only one onboard too – so it makes sense that his views on this universe changed through time and that things he liked in the past doesn't fit his standards any more: in other words, he doesn't work for us but for himself in the first place...

Personnally, I like such a view on continuity: he doesn't let the past hinder him and go forward, that's what artists are supposed to do IMO

I love all the different interpretations of this interview.

Especially all of the panicked, "OMG HE MUST BNE SMOKING SOMETHING!!!", "this is why I hate Kawamori", "so only <insert random Macross> is real?!" posts.

Considering how many people you have influencing any given Macross production, it's a pretty realistic and down to earth take on things.

I'm disappointed with Kawamori's answer.

Sometimes, I wonder if he is bitter being unable to move on from Macross and being "forced" to make sequels to the original SDF.

What gives you that impression? I've never read anything that indicates he's bitter. Now, Tomino, HE seemed to be bitter about Gundam's success, but Kawamori seems to be quite happy doing the occasional Macross sequel, and it's not like he's ONLY doing Macross.

I'm disappointed with Kawamori's answer.

Sometimes, I wonder if he is bitter being unable to move on from Macross and being "forced" to make sequels to the original SDF.

Unable ? Forced ? While I guess you could somewhat have argued this point in the '90 because of how he was forced to make Macross Plus a Macross story to do it, Kawamori does a LOT of stuff outside of Macross now - so I doubt he is forced to do anything. If he didn't want to do anymore Macross - he has more than enough on his plate to keep working with Macross, and I'm sure Big West could produce more Macross without him.

Nay, he does Macross because he wants too.

-Sergorn

I think I can understand the interview. Artists generally don't like to be constrained by rules set by a previous work because it inhibits originality. The less they have to follow canonity and whatnot the better. I think directors like Kawamori and Tomino learn to work within the constraints or cleverly work around it.

I'm sure Big West could produce more Macross without him.

So far no one has dared to try that after Macross II. :lol:

Nay, he does Macross because he wants too.

However, the Macross he wants to do may not be what fans want to see.

For example, I have been thinking that Macross sequels are not real sequels. No significant original characters or even robots remain. Sure, the universe is the same and is expanded and filled in. (That's why I was disappointed with Kawamori's answer -- we can't even do that?)

But is Macross technology and universe alone sufficient to be a Macross sequel? Think about the two unrelated anime that were meshed together with Macross to form a trilogy... change a bit of dialogue, splice in a couple of scenes to connect them, that works for most part too, doesn't it?

Anyway, this interview was over ten years ago and his stand may have changed. It'll be nice to get an up-to-date interview.

Edited by nhyone

However, the Macross he wants to do may not be what fans want to see.

Of course. But creators and artists rarely see eye to eye with their fans, which is why you often end up with part of a fandom bashing the original creator for doing what he wants instead of pampering the fans :unsure:

Which is a good thing IMO - because when you basically end up creating work only to please fans, you get a license like Gundam which has basically been doing the same thing over and over again for the last 30 years (with a few exception... which did not please fans much but were probably the best quality wise). I think Tomino is a good example for this kind of stuff... I'd say a V-Gundam was a Gundam the fan wanted, while Turn A while the Gundam HE wanted to make - and we all know which one he liked more, and yet which one had the most fans :-P

For example, I have been thinking that Macross sequels are not real sequels. No significant original characters or even robots remain.

It's a valid point. But none of the Macross spin-off really claimed to be a sequel - Kawamori never tried to do an actual "Macross II" and its sequels are more about expanding the universe than the characters of the original (so it's no Zeta Gundam in that)

Altough I would argue that Macross 7 is very much an actual sequel to SDMF in many aspect. Sure none of the main character remains, but Max, Milia and Exedore were significant secondary characters in the original and provide a real tie. Also I feel Macross 7 is very much the continuation of the original thematically and even story-wise by the way the Protodevilins ties with the mysteries about the Protoculture from the original.

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

But is Macross technology and universe alone sufficient to be a Macross sequel? Think about the two unrelated anime that were meshed together with Macross to form a trilogy... change a bit of dialogue, splice in a couple of scenes to connect them, that works for most part too, doesn't it?

No, Robotech does not work. The way Macross does it is probably the best way it is avoids one of the biggest problems with sequels in a long running franchise in where the same small core of people are doing everything important whenever the galaxy is threatened. Admittedly, Frontier and Zero do come uncomfortably close to making this mistake.

NO. Just.... no.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I like it!

None of the productions are an actual historical record of the Macross history...

All are based on it, but not the exact history. In essence the chronology in the Compendium and the history data sheets in the Chronicles are the only records we can rely on.

In Macross Zero, we know that an alien artifact was discovered near an island in French Polynesia (most likely place) and the AUN forces fought with the UN forces to gain control over it. It became activated and and nearly destroyed both sides before taking off into space.

In SDFM, we know that a starship crashed to Earth and was rebuilt into the Macross. The Zentradi were provoked into attacking by a booby trap on the star ship and SW1 happened. We know a pop idol named Minmei was instrumental in ending the war along with many other historical characters. The aftermath of SW1 prompted the emmigration progams into space. That is what happened in the most general sense.

In Mac Plus we know that during the competition for the next advanced variable fighter between Shinsei Industries and General Galaxy, a rogue AI took control of the Macross and the prototype Ghost fighter. A pilot named Isamu Dyson was instrumental in stopping the AI.

In Mac 7, we know that the Macross 7 emigration fleet under the command of Max and Millia Jenius encountered the Protodevlin and singer(s) with what was described as "Anima Spiritia" abilities (possibly Basara Nikkei and Mylene Jenius) were instrumental in neutralizing that threat.

In Mac Frontier we know that the Macross 25 fleet encountered the Vajra race and were attacked. A couple of pop idols were also instrumental in ending the conflict. We also know that the Macross 23 fleet may have gone rogue and separated from the UN Federation.

The historical facts apparently remain, but the details are up to dramatic interpretation, based on the shows.

This may also extend to the official games, as well.

I get the impression that Kawamori has not left his initial position when first posed a question about which were the true events of SW1 after DYRL came out. He responded with "The actual events of SW1 are somewhere between two". In that the exact historical record has not been told in the shows.

It was smart to keep that aspect of the show open ended. This way there is no "RETCON" since none of the shows can be considered canon, only the characters, vehicles and general plot points. B))

Although I too would like to know what kind of "hate" Macross 7 could have introduced...

Edited by Zinjo

I think the key is to remember, everybody sees things differently. It is an art form. People are going to see different things when you see a painting.

Here's a Monet:

Monet-TheStroll.jpg

Not everyone is going to look at it in the exact same way.

Kawamori is treating Macross the same way. He's offering the audience different views on a single piece. He's creating different interpretations for the audience. One version isn't necessarily wrong compared to another. There's also the Arthurian legend. There's a historical basis for the character, but many interpretations of the legend. The Thomas Malory-version tells it one way. The Alfred Tennyson-version tells it another. One version of story says Guld played a game of chicken with the Ghost X-9. Another says he crashed into it. One version may have Michael dying in front of Klan. Another may have him dying farther away with Klan only seeing it from afar. There are certain facts in the story but how those events come to be is subject to interpretation. A good modern example is Band of Brothers. Historically inaccurate at times but it accomplished telling a story within the fabric of historical events.

I absolutely agree, and I think its clever decision by Kawamori (which follows other post modernist pieces) that allows him to avoid having to defend his work from every nitpicker. Macross is what it is to the eye of beholder; don't like something you can just ignore it. Personally I can't stand the fact that the VF-0 can go underwater; guess what, I can ignore it. Instead of getting people wound up about continuity or canon, he can just concentrate on telling stories the way he wants. Thats the way it should be.

For example, I have been thinking that Macross sequels are not real sequels. No significant original characters or even robots remain. Sure, the universe is the same and is expanded and filled in. (That's why I was disappointed with Kawamori's answer -- we can't even do that?)

Anyway, this interview was over ten years ago and his stand may have changed. It'll be nice to get an up-to-date interview.

Um, first things last; I'm almost certain his views on this have not changed at all given the Macross Frontier episode with the filming of the Macross Zero movie. Its a classic filming of a film interpretation, which is the same as what he was getting at with Macross 7.

Second, Robotech was not a great trilogy. There are massive stylistic differences and there are nothing really linking the three works. Whats the overriding theme? Who are the connecting characters? At least the various iterations of the Macross series have a common theme, though its sometimes to its detriment (Macross Frontier being too much in common with SDF.) I like the technology aspect of macross universe; Its realistic given the level of technological development you would expect. Newer designs replace the older ones, and there is a logical technological progression from VF-1 to the VF-25.

Kawamori is either a genius or from some other dimension. He has the whole Macross History in that floating head of his and just picks an event to be the backdrop of a new series/movie/ova. Just this process alone infinitly assures future macross projects without the usual constraints of any canon continuity. An extremely clever way to not only avoid those constraints, but to also allow other people to continue the Macross lore. This would allow stories to be continued to be told by others should he decide to call it quits and hand over the Macross torch. All he needs to leave behind is the record of historical events.

And since MastaEgg mentioned Macross II, I want to propose a theory of mine: (Anyone that has paid close attention to Macross 7 would appreciate this, hopefully)

Warning: Lot's of sarcasm to follow in this mini fanfic

Macross II: Lover's again is a movie within the fictional universe of Macross. It was created and developed by the ingenious "Honey" Suzuki. After witnessing the popularity growth that Fire Bomber gained following the "Minmay Video" special, Honey envisioned the same fortune to come to his new client, The Jamming Birds. After becoming their manager, Honey consistently pushed for the production of a sequel to "Do You Remember, Love", which would feature only his licensed music, including songs from Wendy Ryder and The Jamming Birds. A studio by the name of AIC picked up the project and to save money, Honey chose himself to be the writer, caster, and producer of the movie. He even casted his own boyfriend as the character Mash. Honey wanted to stick as close as possible to the formula of "Do You Remember, Love", so he scripted the movie almost indentically to the original. But since the movie was not based on actual events, the script had to be turned over to vaious companies and agencies for approval.

First setback: following the ineffectivenes of The Jamming Birds during actual combat, the military equipment manufacturers declined any licensing of their valkyrie designs towards the movie's production. As a workaround, Honey hired other mechanical designer's to come up with mechanical designs specifically for the movie which differed from anything that has actually been used. The VF-2SS is born.

Second setback: the higher ups at AIC feared a political Zentradi backlash if the Zentradi were still portrayed as the antagonists. Honey was forced to rewrite the script, resulting in the creation of the Marduk as the main enemies of the movie.

Last setback: after the sript revision, it was finally forwarded to the U.N. Spacy for approval. The U.N. Spacy refused the allowal of their logo to be used in the movie due to the way that the military was depicted in the movie. Exhausted from the script revision and desperate to find a workaround, Honey hung his head off to the side. With his neck at a 90 degree angle, he found his relief. The U.N. Spacy logo was altered to be horizontally symmetrical.

Production of the movie ensued and it was quickly released capturing Honey's vision of the movie entirely. It featured a flashier Macross ship with added attatchments to the main gun and was also less emotionally draining to the audience. It was also quickly forgotten, due to the release of the series that chronicled the "Sharon Apple Incident". Honey found out the hard way, stories about actual events are always better than baseless fiction. (END)

Macross II is a fiction based movie created by a fictional character within a fictional dramatization of actual events. OR

Macross II is a real move based on nothing real. I dunno, just having fun with this. :lol:

Edited by phunky204