Total Recall remake...why?

Wimmer Penning Total Recall Remake

Source: Variety

June 3, 2009

Columbia Pictures has set Kurt Wimmer to write Total Recall, the remake of the 1990 film that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, reports Variety.

Wimmer has been working with the studio on Salt and co-wrote the upcoming Law Abiding Citizen. Wimmer's credits include The Thomas Crown Affair, Equilibrium and Ultraviolet.

Total Recall was resurrected for remake earlier this year by the studio and producer Neal Moritz and his Original Films. The film will be a contemporized adaptation of the sci-fi saga based on the Philip K. Dick story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56003

not only has Hollywood raped my childhood, now they are raping my teenage years lol

hmm a more contemporary version? what is the male lead gonna be some whiny emo dude or a UFC wannabe meatball?

Edited by bandit29

Why? Really good question, next thing they'll be remaking 2/3 year old movies :ph34r:

This is what's starting to get to me. Remakes don't bother me so much. Hollywood's been doing that since it started. Look how many Dracula adaptations there have been, for example. It's just that the films being remade aren't all that old, and many (IMHO) don't qualify as enough of a classic to warrant a remake in the first place. Giving a 30+ year old property like Star Trek a face-lift is one thing... but 19?

And Total Recall? I'd say that Arnie was responsible for more of that film's business than the film itself. It's an entertaining action flick and Arnie vehicle (Michael Ironsides and Sharon Stone don't hurt either), but as sci-fi it's only mildly engaging as it shies away from the real mind-bender that the original Phillip K. Dick story followed. Classic? Hardly.

But what do we expect? Hollywood is nothing if not formulaic. With the success of reboots like Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek, they've convinced themselves there's built-in audience for every vaguely popular property from the past 30 years. It's like the 80s-90s are being viewed as some "golden era" of hot properties begging to be mined for remake material.

*sigh* :rolleyes:

I'm waiting on a Blade Runner remake next. :3

As long as it's not all dark and brooding like the first one, also all the characters should be teens, with Hannah Montanna in the lead, it could be a musical!

I guess theres tons in books and stuff. The original Total Recall movie was based on a story, it wasn`t original.

Yeah, I like how they point out that this IS actually a remake of the movie itself, and not another adaptation of the story from which the movie was derived.

Edited by the white drew carey

As long as it's not all dark and brooding like the first one, also all the characters should be teens, with Hannah Montanna in the lead, it could be a musical!

Zac Efron: (singing) All these moments will be lost in time...

Chorus: (singing) Lost in time!

Everybody: (singing) ... like teeeaaarrrrs in the raaaaiiiiinnnnnnn!

;)

A remake of an Arnie movie? :mellow:

Jeeezzzzeeeee........ What next? :rolleyes:

A remake of Chuck Norris action flicks? :ph34r: Delta Force: The Remake, anyone? :lol:

Actually, now that you mention it, I'm really surprised they haven't already done a Delta Force or Missing in Action remake. I mean, Stallone did another Rambo movie all these years later, why not Norris?

Honestly, though, I wouldn't mind if someone did remakes of bad movies and actually made them good. I really think Total Recall could stand for a remake as I never liked the last one.

How long until we get a remake of Gone with the Wind ?

This time Bret could be a brooding late twenties fairly sucessfull type living in modern day New York, a stock broker maybe and there would be no hints of white supremacy as this is not politically correct. They could some how wangle a hellicopter chase in and some type of northen Korrean type antagonist, thus snaring the action movie types. Make it a musical and you'll have all the Hi School musical types in the bag too.

• 2 years later...

why a remake? because as long as YOU, the retard that PAID to watch the PREVIOUS remade movie, will encourage them to make more... that insulting enough or do i need to hit you with a mallet? (I'm sorry, since I also am a retard, by definition, so pass the popcorn, will you?)

now with that out of the way, its not like we have much choice in the matter what Hollywood (or anyplace else that makes movies) does? Obviously not every remake is fail (example: JJ-Trek or Fresh-Prince Karate Kid)...

Edited by TehPW

QUOTE (wolfx @ Jun 3 2009, 06:29 PM)

I'm waiting on a Blade Runner remake next. :3

Be honest here. This is just the first step in your scheme to convince Hollywood to do a Macross 7 movie.

Be honest here. This is just the first step in your scheme to convince Hollywood to do a Macross 7 movie.

I've nearly got the new SPG 3D surround sound system ready for it. "SPEAKER POD GAMMA:- ORE NO UTA WO KIIKE!!"

why a remake? because as long as YOU, the retard that PAID to watch the PREVIOUS remade movie, will encourage them to make more... that insulting enough or do i need to hit you with a mallet? (I'm sorry, since I also am a retard, by definition, so pass the popcorn, will you?)

now with that out of the way, its not like we have much choice in the matter what Hollywood (or anyplace else that makes movies) does? Obviously not every remake is fail (example: JJ-Trek or Fresh-Prince Karate Kid)...

I hope that was sarcasm about the Karate Kid remake. Did anybody even bother watching the remake?

Graham

Urghh........CG fest with slow mo Matrix style jumping. Looks like a PC game cut scene. Pass. Will stick with the original Arnie version thank you very much.

Graham

Urghh........CG fest with slow mo Matrix style jumping. Looks like a PC game cut scene. Pass. Will stick with the original Arnie version thank you very much.

Huh. I was thinking all like "the Fifth Element" while watching that. Other than the circular lighted thing, nothing looks very interesting.

Was that the same music as the BGM in the first "Prometheus" trailer?

What's the point of all these remakes? A MW member indicated Bay's homepage in that Turtle's discussion. And his (Bay's) attitude was aggravating. If a movie "passes out of the current generation of movie goers mind", it's fair game for a remake or something. What ever happened to creativity? Coming up with new ideas, even if it's fundamentally a copy of something that's gone before?