Front Mission: Evolved

FM was already "3D". This wasn't a perspective change, it was a total game genre change.

A game with 3D graphics limited to a 2D grid for a playing field is still a 2D game. I never said it was just a perspective change, I was just using Metroid as an example. You want another one? How about turning an RTS into an MMORPG? Seemed to work well for Blizzard. ^_^ All I'm saying is that just because a game doesn't exist in the same genre as it's predecessors, doesn't mean it is going to suck. If that's not the game for you, then that's cool, but that doesn't make everyone elses opinions automatically wrong either. ;):)

I fail because I support creative ways of extending a license as opposed to making a next-gen turn-based game? lol....

I'd kind of have to agree here. Turn-based SRPG is what FM is about. When they tried to venture out of the box with Gun Hazard it blew chunks. This is like taking a Mario Cart game, and making it turn-based racing. You're completely chaning the formula that makes the game great in the first place.

Not surprised. Square/Enix has been trying to break into the American market for some-time with the Front Mission series and have largely failed to do so with FM3 and 4, leading to the cancellation of FM5’s localization for the US. I’m guessing they figure that by changing the game into a third-person shooter they’ll stand a better chance of appealing to "American gamers".

I’m not happy about it, I'm still pissed off that they canceled FM5’s release in fact… but I’m not surprised.

Here's hoping it plays more like the original Mechwarriors (before MS got their hands on it and ruined it) and less like AC.

Ah, remembering....... Metal Warriors, the pilot can pop in and out of the mecha. It would be cool if FM like that with Metal Gear Solid game play elements. I like the mechas move more like Mechwarrior 3. Didn't MS worked on that, thought it turned out great.

Ah, remembering....... Metal Warriors, the pilot can pop in and out of the mecha. It would be cool if FM like that with Metal Gear Solid game play elements. I like the mechas move more like Mechwarrior 3. Didn't MS worked on that, thought it turned out great.

Didn't you hear, MGS is now a hack and slash game.

• 1 year later...

Blow me down, this game doesn't suck as much as I thought it would. It's great to see updated designs of past wanzers, but overall, the graphics doesn't seem too far off from what a PS2 can do. Detail seems to be lacking in the character designs and inner workings. For instance, the cockpit interface for the wanzers seems to be ripped from cheap 80's sci-fi. It plays faster than the Armored Cores and the controls are tight and responsive. I've only been through the first act, but so far I've been having fun with it. I'm hoping this lasts through the whole game...

The thing I enjoyed most playing FM games is the strategic element implemented. Like weapons loadout, weight management, salvage management and financial management which affects how ur mechs perform in every battle.

And most of the times, a FPS games does not really translate the micromanagement element well enough. With exception to the likes of mechwarrior series, IMHO, often this mechs FPS game just turn out like a regular shoot-em-up.

Just my 2 cents.

There is an entire section for your Wanzer's loadout, and you earn skill points as you progress.

While I'd like to see FM stay true to its roots, can't say I'm upset about it becoming a third person shooter. But whenever Square ventures out of the RPG world they achieve disastrous results.

Square Enix can make some very impressive non-RPG games.

Einhander

Bushido Blade

Tobal #1

There is an entire section for your Wanzer's loadout, and you earn skill points as you progress.

Square Enix can make some very impressive non-RPG games.

Einhander

Bushido Blade

Tobal #1

Ehrgiez: God Bless the Ring (c'mon, where else do you get to play as Vincent Valentine as a Turk before Hojo screwed him over? Hell, you can even play as Sephiroth)

I don't know about the new game, though. I have to try it before I make a comment.

About the First-Person arcade mecha arcade games, Battletech came out with a simulator system (the sytem we had here was in Memorial City Mall before the remodel) where you actually were in a Battlemech cockpit battleing it out with your friends. When my brother played it, he always chose the Mad Cat Prime loadout. Oh, and when you played them, you and the "Eject" switch were very good friends.

My buddy got Front Mission Evolved on PS3. I tried it, but I am absolutely awful at shooters without a mouse + keyboard. I'm so bad, I bought Resistance 2 and returned it a week later because I could never get the aiming down.

So I'm going to see how he likes it, then buy it through Steam.

BTW, I am so glad I bought Mass Effect 2 on Steam instead of a console, I would have walked away from one hell of a game by simply being no good at aiming with a controller.

My buddy got Front Mission Evolved on PS3. I tried it, but I am absolutely awful at shooters without a mouse + keyboard. I'm so bad, I bought Resistance 2 and returned it a week later because I could never get the aiming down.

BTW, I am so glad I bought Mass Effect 2 on Steam instead of a console, I would have walked away from one hell of a game by simply being no good at aiming with a controller.

ah...now that u mentioned it, yeah, I suck at the controller too. Guess another negative point for me.... B))

Being a longtime FM fan I'd decided to pick this up despite the genre change against my better judgment. My copy is still in the mail so observations are forthcoming but I can't say my expectations are that high. I've heard the game is supposed to be buggy (well at least the JPN release).

ah...now that u mentioned it, yeah, I suck at the controller too. Guess another negative point for me.... B))

Here's how to use the controller for Combat in Mass Effect 2 (works the same way for the first game), if you want to know.

First, utilize the auto-cover feature (basicly running at an object while holding the "A" button), then you use the left trigger to activate the aiming feature and use the right analog stick to move the reticle. Unsuprisingly the right trigger of the controller is used to fire the weapon. You can still fire from the hip if you want to (perfect for shotguns), but I don't recommend it.

Back on topic.

I have both Front Mission 3 and 4. Even though 3 is very hard on the eyes, the story and customization more than made up for that shortcoming. 4 was a minor disappointment for me having the skills tied to the pilots' specializations, insted of the parts unlocking them during battle.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I pre-ordered this for PC, while i've played the FM series before and really enjoyed them, it's a universe i know very little about since most of the series was in japanese. Even though they changed the gameplay for Evolved, i'm looking forward to it just so i can explore the FM universe further.

The game wasn't as bad as I expected and the campaign is longer than I've seen stated (I haven't bothered trying to collect anything yet). Haven't bothered with online yet and doubt I will. I will say not much strategy to be had in campaign at least, just equip the heaviest weapons and blast away!

My buddy just finished it on PS3, and the last boss fight was pretty epic, he killed it by running up its arm and punching it in the weak point for massive damage.

Think I'll pick it up from Steam in a few days.

Decided to give it a try. I'm not familiar with the mainline Front Mission games, but Evolved seems decent. A little too many cut scenes, maybe, breaking up what might turn into some repetitive combat, but decent.

Two things did sort of grab my attention, though. Is it just me, or does Dylan look a bit like Starkiller from The Force Unleashed? And why do Wanzers make Bayformers sounds?

Well after going through this game once, I can say that it's a great effort, but it seems to fall short on a lot. The on-foot stages seemed like an afterthought, I mean the third FM allowed you to steal any piece of hardware whether it was a tank, heli, or wanzer. If there was a time to re-introduce that element to make FM cooler than before, this game was it! Instead, all there was for being on foot was a generic shooter with 4 enemy models. As for parts, I was hoping to see morre, maybe even a beam weapon or two, and considering where this game lies in the FM timeline, there's bound to be at least one in there. Also, this game was short. I was expecting Act VI to scroll in there, so I was little disappointed in findng that Act V was the finale. Regardless, the wanzers are pretty and so are the backgrounds, and combat was fast and fun. It just could've been so much more.

And why do Wanzers make Bayformers sounds?

That is the one thing that has urked me more than anything about this game. The previous Front Mission games had great sound-design on the wanzers but I guess thanks to Bayformers, the American perception of giant robots has to sound like some living alien machine rather than a man-made industrial vehicle. My $0.02.

That is the one thing that has urked me more than anything about this game. The previous Front Mission games had great sound-design on the wanzers but I guess thanks to Bayformers, the American perception of giant robots has to sound like some living alien machine rather than a man-made industrial vehicle. My $0.02.

It really bugs me too. It made sense in Bayformers... that's more or less their language. There isn't a good reason for Bayformers to do it.

Took me 5+ hours to download this from steam, so far i've played the first few levels. The graphics aren't all that great and there don't seem to be that many option settings to improve them, not surprising considering this is mainly a console game. The mech combat reminds me of Armored Core and the on foot missions is just simple run and gun. I'm enjoying the game so far and I like how they kept the mech designs in the same style as the previous games.

Some have complained about the "bayformers" sound effects, i have to agree, the sounds don't seem to suit or match the mechs in this game. Considering they look more clunky and mechanical, you would expect the sounds of gears etc.