whats a good airbrush to buy

Cessna_Pilot

hey guys not sure if this topic belongs here or not, if its not i hope a mod can move it. Im looking into getting a good airbrush to paint models and to detail them. id like to ask you guys what i should be looking for, since i go to micheals arts store and they have them there for around 150 -200. ive seen others on ebay for cheaper but im not sure what i should be looking to get. any help is appreciated thanks

I've been a professional painter for a few years now, and I can advise you that it depends on how detailed you want your end result to be. From my own personal experience I can say that Badgers are a good all-round brand, Paasche's are cheap but I wouldn't use one for anything other than base coating, and Iwata's are really good but expensive (but a nice one will mean you can produce lines equivalent to a pencil line). Look for something that has a double action trigger which will help control the flow of air. What supplies your air is another matter altogether...

Hope that helps, try going to a really good art store and see if you can talk to an airbrush technician or someone who has experience. Other than that, look around the net.

I agree with what mitch said. I personally started out with a Paasche VL. it wasn't good for much besides coating large areas but it was cheap. If you're just starting out and don't know how serious you're going to be about using an airbrush, get something cheap like that to start. if you find you don't like it, you're not out much, and if you find you do, you can just spend more on a better brush latter.

Now if you already know that your going to be serious about using an airbush and want to get something good right off the bat, go with Iwata. I have an Iwata eclipse HP-CS and it's a wonderful all around brush. it's good for applying base coats and painting large areas, but can do fine detail work well (much better than the Paasche) Too. I got the Eclipse for about $100 new. for even finer detail (i.e. free handing pencil thin lines) you'll want one of there high performance models. an HP-B goes for about $100-150.

what ever you get though, you'll need to get a compressor. you're going to need an oil-free electric compressor with a pressure regulator and moisture trap, also an attached 1 gallon take is preferable. except to pay from $100-150 for a good compressor

you want something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1010-Compres...243&sr=8-31

thanks guys for all the info , i really appreciate it. i have done some searching around for airbrush reviews but i just wanted your guys opinions on them. now with the info you guys gave me ill just narrow it down more. thanks for taking the time in responding.

as for the compressor im not really worried since i got 2 at home and a few more at work the only thing is i might need is a different regulator.

Edited by Cessna_Pilot

• 2 weeks later...

about a year or two ago someone else here on the boards bought their airbrush from a online beauty supply shop for about $25-$30 cheaper than any art supply store cause they get more volume when it comes to selling airbrushes. so you might want to check that route when comparing prices. good luck!

thanks guys i ended up picking up an iwata hp-cs for now, i figure its a well recommended airbrush and a good one to start out i appreciate all your guys advice on this. to bad i didnt see dax's reply before i ordered it though but ill keep it in mind if i get another one

• 3 months later...
thanks guys i ended up picking up an iwata hp-cs for now, i figure its a well recommended airbrush and a good one to start out i appreciate all your guys advice on this. to bad i didnt see dax's reply before i ordered it though but ill keep it in mind if i get another one

You made a very smart choice, my friend. I have two Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrushes. One for solvent based paints like enamels and lacquers. And another one for acrylics. I use them for general coverage, backgrounds, and some weathering/Max technique.

I also have an Iwata Micron CM-C Plus for ultra fine detailing & weathering. I started off with Badgers which are good learning tools. But after I got my necessary training and experience, my analogy with airbrushes is that Badgers are like Toyota's or Honda's and Iwata's are like Ferrari's.