The making of a 1/72 Tacticar Pod Graug--the musical!

captain america

Hi everyone.

This will be the official "how I take a bunch of blocks and build a Graug in less than 45 days" thread. I figured that a whole new thread was appropriate, since this is pure scratchbuilding. The first photo-update will probably be uploaded tonight, or early tomorrow morning. There isn't much done yet at this stage, simply by virtue of the fact that there are sooo many components to make and some of them are quite large and time-consuming... Plus I have to run out for supplies. <_<

Stay tuned!

Hi folks.

49017648.jpg

73132845.jpg

As promised, here is the first update of the building process for the Graug. The first couple of photos should be relatively common, showing just the raw building blocks that will be transformed into a model, and the original artwork from which all my plots are based on.

The soda can is to give you an idea of just how big this thing is going to be... And even at that, my Quamzin figure will fit very tightly indeed.

96495065.jpg

The third photo is of some of the plots that will serve as templates for parts.

44862354.jpg

Pic 4 shows the beginnings of the process, with a plotted part cut out and used as a template directly onto the modelling board

98147188.jpg

Pic 5: the part is carefully cut from the slab on a bandsaw. Due to the thickness of the material and the tightness of certain radii, it will take many passes to get the part relatively chiseled.

19638375.jpg

Pic 6: the same part is then put through the mill to get rid of the excess that the band saw couldn't. This step allows for greater precision, but due to the curvatures, I will still resort to a bench grinder to get the shape just right.

12959013.jpg

Pic 7: you may not be able to tell, but this will become the main cockpit tub.

69593809.jpg

Pic 8: using the same process described in 3-6, several parts have begun to take shape. The circular component at lower right wil become the "ball" of the Graug's foot. More on this later...

29088945.jpg

Pic 9: same as above, but with more leg showing. Those drumsticks are just massive!

15025987.jpg

Pic 10: the "ball" of the foot is carefully turned on the lathe to transform it from a jagged shape to something quite circular.

14857333.jpg

Pic 11: the same piece is then taken back to the bandsaw to make the cut-outs for the foot pads...

75293551.jpg

Pic 12: ...And then over to the milling machine to surgically machine the flats...

40403875.jpg

Pic 13: ...And back to the lathe again to obtain the necessary curvature. This multi-step process is fairly common-place, even for what will likely seem like benign looking pieces when they are completed. In next week's update, you'll get to see that infamous foot "ball" in all its glory... Along with other things. Stay tuned ;)

Hi folks.

As you can likely tell, I haven't been on the forums much lately, since I've had my nose to the grindstone all week. It seems to have paid off though, as I have made a tremendous amount of progress since last week, to wit I bring you this week's "how-to" episode, entitled The Graug That Would Be A Prince.

The first pic will take us back to the last part of last week's tutorial, whereby I was machining the ball for the foot. Here is that same part sporting a bit of corrective putty, its shape now almost perfectly set.

The second and third photo are of the crude beginnings of the cockpit module. Slabs of modelling board were heated, curved and combined with some CA glue and some putty, and will have required a tremendous amount of grinding, shaping and sanding to acheive the necessary compound curvature (which we will see later.

post-632-1244237770_thumb.jpg

post-632-1244237784_thumb.jpg

post-632-1244237808_thumb.jpg

Pics 4 and 5 deal with the main engines atop the cockpit pod: the overall shape is acheived on a lathe, and then milled flat where I want it to mate with the pod. I've elected to hollow all these parts out in order to save precious weight, which is critical if the finished model is to stand upright under its own might.

Pictures 6 and 7 cover the arms, which also are being turned on the lathe; a rather cobbled-looking set of stove-pipe-like appendages. I'm still debating whether to cast the arms as one segment or separately; strength being my operative concern.

post-632-1244237871_thumb.jpg

post-632-1244237881_thumb.jpg

post-632-1244237894_thumb.jpg

post-632-1244237910_thumb.jpg

Pics 8 and 9 cover the creation of the main cannon, which, to be honest, had me rather worried initially. Modelling board is quite brittle and long, spindly shapes are just devilish to machine. I was able to get around that by machining the barrel to one constant diameter initially, and then feeding it incrementally as the knife carved angled "steps" centimetre by centimetre, and then I manually sanded and polished it as the lathe was turning. The resulting barrel surpassed even my expectations!

Pics 10 and 11 show most of the parts temporarily fitted in their current state. You really have to see it with your own eyes to appreciate how truly huge the Graug will be when complete. In fact, I will take a pic later of my sculpt next to the Matchbox toy, which itself is rather large, but still dwarfed by my sculpt.

That just about covers this week's update. Stay tuned for next week's episode: Graug With The Wind!

post-632-1244237974_thumb.jpg

post-632-1244237984_thumb.jpg

post-632-1244237997_thumb.jpg

post-632-1244238010_thumb.jpg