VF-1 Valkyrie paper models

Getter 1

Hello All,

I joined this forum a while back but have never been active :(

I would like to invite all here to visit the card modelling forum in the link below,

http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164968

There you will find a thread of a VF-1 Paper Model I have been working on along with another member there. You will have to join to see the pictures and download the model files.

I hope you all enjoy the models you find there.

Here I give you a peak of a VF-1A Max Type to show you how one of the Fighter mode models appear.

Getter 1

post-1638-1243223892_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243223964_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243224040_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243224114_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243224548_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243224629_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243224727_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243224808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Getter 1

Hello All,

I joined this forum a while back but have never been active :(

I would like to invite all here to visit the card modelling forum in the link below,

http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164968

There you will find a thread of a VF-1 Paper Model I have been working on along with another member there. You will have to join to see the pictures and download the model files.

I hope you all enjoy the models you find there.

Here I give you a peak of a VF-1A Max Type to show you how one of the Fighter mode models appear.

Getter 1

Hey, I have 3 of these little guys (2 Roys and an Angel) on my shelf! Not to mention the upscaled, 1/42 Roy I did.

3370833987_07939cddb7_b.jpg

(Excuse the mess. I had just finished the big one, as well as reassembling Annie (25th 1S), and I was really thirsty for Orangerade)

Pretty nifty, little bastards. Don't think I've ever seen the missiles before, although I know there's a FAST Pack out for it, as well as a GERWALK by the same originator and a Battroid reverse-engineered from it. I've always wanted to make a PT from this...

SchizophrenicMC,

I re-worked the entire kit originaly designed by Shunichi Makino. I added landing gear, a cockpit, I even made the parts for a Battroid mode along with many many many others things :D I made many changes to the Gerwalk kit as well.

One of the other features I made is the Battroid seat riser as seen in the TV show when Hikaru exited the VF-1D and met Minmay.

My partner Janx (he's a member here to) made the Fast paks, and weapons as well as a few of the upgrade parts on the base model. He also made a basic pilot figure for the cockpit. He's currently developing the Battroid armor.

We made all the TV and DYRL color schemes as well as some others in the works. I even did the Robotech Battlecry schemes but I never heard back from Harmony Gold for permission to release the schemes so they are not avaliable ATM. I recently did the Jetfire Transformers scheme but Janx has to do the resizing of the files as I use MS Paint and the BMP files are huge. He re-draws everything in Vector and makes em into PDFs to enhance the grafix and greatly reduce the file sizes.

If you join the card model forum you will be able to Download all the currently avaliable models there.

PetarB,

Thanks for the kind words :D Remember me from Hobbyfanatics on your VF2S Max special thread? I posted pics of a VF2S paper kit I was working on for Janx.

Love how your model turned out ;)

G1

I just noticed that that has 3D FLIR pods (THEY'RE FLIR, DAMMIT!) and a Pilot... Damn, that's intricate.

And, I've never been able to close up the nose, no matter how many times I try. How the hell did you do it?

I altered the nose cone as the old one was too much of a duck bill effect.

Oh I did a FULL set of accutare D parts as well ;)

G1

Hello All,

If you want to see the full evolution of these models development you can visit the link I put up in the 1st post here. I'ld put the pics up here but as long as that thread went on it would take me forever to do it all over agian. You will have to join that forum to see the pics. There are more models avaliable there other than the VF-1. A Zentradi Fighter pod and an SDF-1 for example.

Hope to see some of you folks over there. Hee hee I guess this is an introduction bring gifts. Oooo or is the saying "beware of geeks bearing gifts coming to mind" :p

At 1st I was very skeptical at how well a paper model could look till I got into the hobby further. I do plastic kits to but haven't been too active on them in a while. Now that I'm more settled after my cross country move I'm wanting to do some plastic kits again to.

I wanted to post more pics here but I'm on call for work and got called away for an emergency and now it's getting late.

G1

I love you... 0_0

I suck so much at papercrafting, relative to you that I'd have to upscale that to at least 3 times original size to make that.

A little note on the canopy: Whenever I wanna make something transparent, I print it out on an overhead projector transparent sheet. It's a bit harder to work with, and sometimes the ink doesn't like to stick, but I get some pretty good results...

Unfortunately, all the models I've ever attempted with transparent parts have ended up going wrong. *Cough* DeLorean, Mach 5, that plane from Sky Crawlers*/cough* However, the parts, themselves, come out nicely.

SMC,

That is the 1st time I ever sucessfully made a transparent canopy. I have tried many time on other models and failed miserably.

On this I made the paper canopy (tabs outside) and filled it with epoxy. When the epoxy cured I soaked tha paper off in a glass of water. I then sanded the ridges out and smoothed the curve of the canopy (the biggest problem with pape ris compound curves). I then sanded it down with finer and finer grit paper and polished it off with newspaper.

Oh forgot to mention before filling the paper canopy I extended the mold with masking tape all round. That left a small step ridge when the paper was removed making it easy when trimming the clear one.

Now I've gotten molds made before and all but here's where I figured out I was messing up. I would always use clear acetate sheet from Evergreen. I would heat it up over candels or a stove eye and just as it began to sag I tried to pull it over the mold. It would always cool too quickly and not give me a full stretch over the mold :( Ok I guess I didn't heat it up enough :p I would wait a tad longer and boom! It melted in the center. I burned up (litteraly) a whole pak of acetate and I tossed the paper Grippen and the mold in disgust :(

What I discovered in this one is I was using the wrong plastic. The acetate was too thin. A buddy of mine suggest plastic from a blister pak like a pak of batteries. That's what I did and what do you know, it heated up well and pulled right over the mold :D

I had ran a pen over that step ridge I mentioned before so I had a visible line that I traced with a pen on the clear part and cut with scissors along the oultine and walla my 1st clear canopy :D :D :D

Paper craft can be a challenge. It took me a long time to get to the level I'm at and there are guys that make me look a rank amatur :p

The trick is choosing the right paper for the parts. The majority of paper I use is 65lbs. cardstock. For bigger heavier structures I use 110lbs. stock. For small delicate parts I use regular printer paper. I also use white construction paper at time for my 1/72 WW1 planes it is perfect.

I use dowels of varrying sizes to make my curves in parts with. In fact I put up a tool list and their uses in that VF-1 Thread on Zealot. It's on page 18 I think.

Here's some pics of a couple WW1 biplanes I did. The 1 plane is a 1/72 Roland C.II I designed (it's avaliable for download at Zealot). This is the final prototype build with a full edtailed engine, cockpit and the guns look better than most plastic kit's of the same scale. The 2nd is a simple kit I purchased that I re-size to 1/144. I added rigging wires to it also.

When I 1st got into papercraft I had no idea how vast it really was. There was a huge lack of Macross kits so I did this project to help bridge the gap. I didn't expect to go as far on the VF-1 project as I did but when I got started I just couldn't stop :p

Hope you give some of the new Valks a try. Print em on 65lbs. cardstock and get a stylis for scoring along with a metal ruller. If you need any hlep figuring the model or techniques out give me a shout and I'll do what I can to help ;)

G1

post-1638-1243280109_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243280141_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243280189_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243280216_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243280333_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243280381_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243280412_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243280449_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243280479_thumb.jpg

SMC,

That is the 1st time I ever sucessfully made a transparent canopy. I have tried many time on other models and failed miserably.

(Acetate Canopy Production)

Paper craft can be a challenge. It took me a long time to get to the level I'm at and there are guys that make me look a rank amatur :p

(Paper)

(Technique)

G1

I know how to make an acetate canopy. It's just too labor-intensive (And Expensive) for me.

Believe me, I know papercraft is challenging. It'd help if I still had all that dexterity from a few years ago, when I was assembling 2cm x 1cm DS Lites. Hot Glue burns suck...

As for paper, I use 65 lb mostly, although I dabble in 110 for certain things. The hardest part of doing this is my father. He strictly limits my printing. (It's my printer... Ass...) He says that paper and ink are expensive. (Paper is cheaper than dirt and he doesn't even buy the ink!) So, I basically have to print on the median card weight. As such, I can never make good small parts. Further, my X-acto broke. It won't hold a blade, anymore, and I can't get a new one. (Again, dad) So, cutting and scoring's a bitch. (Ever try to score something with the back of a pair of safety scissors?) The micro-tweezers I use have disappeared, and the needle-nose jeweler's pliers I use have bent out of shape.

So far, it's been a bad year for my hobbies.

Oooo tool berak down sux. Card is not bad on proce but ink for my printer is :p Doesn't even last that long either :p

Sorry didn't know you already knew the canopy method. The good thinkg is I only had to make 1 modl and I got all the A,J, and S valk modles covered. I still need to make a D canopy and the VT-1s haven't been designed yet but that'll be another canopy :p

You lost some dexterity? That sux and I know all too well bout that myself. In December I broke 2 fingers in a snowblower and it's going to be a long time before I fully recover. I'm lucky I didn't loose the middle finger tip :(

Oh if you have a ball point pen that's outta ink you can use that to score lines with.

G1

Oooo tool berak down sux. Card is not bad on proce but ink for my printer is :p Doesn't even last that long either :p

Sorry didn't know you already knew the canopy method. The good thinkg is I only had to make 1 modl and I got all the A,J, and S valk modles covered. I still need to make a D canopy and the VT-1s haven't been designed yet but that'll be another canopy :p

You lost some dexterity? That sux and I know all too well bout that myself. In December I broke 2 fingers in a snowblower and it's going to be a long time before I fully recover. I'm lucky I didn't loose the middle finger tip :(

Oh if you have a ball point pen that's outta ink you can use that to score lines with.

G1

See, I've tried the ballpoint thing, but it doesn't score well enough.

Also, hot glue burns took a lot of the feeling in my fingertips. When I got the first set, it was about a week before I could type properly.

Yeah the balpoint works but not as good as a stylis :(

The range of motion is fairly good actually. The head is just a snug on the neck tube so it has a full range of motion.

The arms are fully articulated and can move bout as good as the Hasagawa kits do.

The legs are pretty good as well. The feet only move forward and back however. The hips underwent a change since my last Battroid prototype. Janx made a modification that will greatly improve the Grewalk legs as my originaly Gerwalk ones were stationary. His improvement is intended for Battroid as well but I have yet to try it. From what I saw on his Minmay Guard Gerwalk build with the new knees/hips they will have very good posability.

Now keep in mind paper posables are cool but have an inherent weakness of paper fatiuge. I usually reinforce the joint holes with super glue to prolong the joint life but they will get floppy after time if it's posed too much. Also the Super paks added a lot o weight and the arms had a hard time holding up the GU-11 with the forearm armors on.

Here's a shot of the Prototype Battroid in a pose. Note this was before I added a new part to improve the hip's forward motion. Those prats mentioned were never tested before Janx's new parts so these pics won't give a good idea of the leg's current motion.

G1

post-1638-1243307109_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243307213_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243307304_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243307384_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243307551_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243307657_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1243307762_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Hey, I have 3 of these little guys (2 Roys and an Angel) on my shelf! Not to mention the upscaled, 1/42 Roy I did.

3370833987_07939cddb7_b.jpg

(Excuse the mess. I had just finished the big one, as well as reassembling Annie (25th 1S), and I was really thirsty for Orangerade)

Pretty nifty, little bastards. Don't think I've ever seen the missiles before, although I know there's a FAST Pack out for it, as well as a GERWALK by the same originator and a Battroid reverse-engineered from it. I've always wanted to make a PT from this...

Those are AMAZING!!!!

Hello All,

Sorry it's been a while. Not much new but we did vacate the Zealot Forum and are now here,

http://www.papermodelers.com/

There you can find the same Valks (not all are up yet :p ), and a new designer there has done a Lancer II Fighter and an SD VF-1 in Gerwalk. Note you have to make 1 or 2 posts before you can download from the DL section. Also please don't host the models elsewhere without the desgner's permission.

It's not avaliable yet but Janx has developed the Battroid armor for the VF-1. The pix are of the test build I did for him of it. Note it's removable to and the missile hatches open :D The pix of the SD and the Lancer II are white models for testing reasons (ink conservation). The avaliable models are fully textured. Note the SD currently is only avaliable in the VF-1D colors

Enjoy,

G1

post-1638-1250475918_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1250476052_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1250476150_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1250476229_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1250476317_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1250476401_thumb.jpg

post-1638-1250476469_thumb.jpg

Only 1 word to use here: WOW! These are indeed beautiful. I mean, making Valks out of LEGO bricks is impressive. But these cardboard versions are really WOW!

Many Thanks for the website link. I definitely think this is indeed a better hobby to get into, not to mention, much cheaper than getting pricey toys that usually end up with QC issues.

At least in this case, the QC lies in my own hands. :lol:

And I thought Duncan's work was super detailed!!! well actually his work is really detailed but since I like papercraft, my hat is off to you sir.

I see you're in Pittsburgh, PA so I assume you mean Gouf / Duncan? If so I know him well ;)

Glad you like the papercraft. A lot of work went into the upgrades from the original model. There are more in the future to develop but other projects have taken priority ATM.

G1

Only 1 word to use here: WOW! These are indeed beautiful. I mean, making Valks out of LEGO bricks is impressive. But these cardboard versions are really WOW!

Many Thanks for the website link. I definitely think this is indeed a better hobby to get into, not to mention, much cheaper than getting pricey toys that usually end up with QC issues.

At least in this case, the QC lies in my own hands. :lol:

Oh yeah much cheaper by far. Even the commercial and printed paper models are way cheaper. Here's a good example. I have a 1/33 printed book model of the F-14 Tomcat with details that can reival most any plastic kit. It cost just over $18. Now I saw a plastic 1/32 F-14 at Hobby Town selling for $120. The plastic one wasn't even as nice as my paper one.

Have a look round over at papermodelers. You will be amazed at what flat pieces of paper can become ;)

Glad you like the Valks :D Hope to see some builds from you guys ;)

G1

I see you're in Pittsburgh, PA so I assume you mean Gouf / Duncan? If so I know him well ;)

Glad you like the papercraft. A lot of work went into the upgrades from the original model. There are more in the future to develop but other projects have taken priority ATM.

G1

Yep. That Duncan. I was at his house as he was wrapping up your "care package". Along with all the crap Jim was giving you haha.

Yep. That Duncan. I was at his house as he was wrapping up your "care package". Along with all the crap Jim was giving you haha.

Yep I've known Duncan for a decade now :p I'm the friend they don't let out in public :p I escaped from the box!!!

Hmmm I need to visit Pittsburgh again :)

Hee hee that package was like Christmas :D

G1

I have an idea. I'm going to take your template, with your permission, of course, and upscale it from the starting point, around 1/128 scale, if I'm not mistaken, and blow it up to 1/18 scale.

This is going to take maths, cardstock, and plenty of GIMP.

Scale all you want but 1/18th, good gawd!!!! I wanna see that :D Geez think of the uber detail you can cram into that one :p

G1

You guys got to see this. I know this is a Macross forum and this of a Star Wars model but this is a papercraft thread to and I think you all might like to take a gander at it. This is a 2 year scratch build.

http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?th...mp;hilight=mill

Not quite in the same league but fun nonetheless. Google "Paris Metro Ticket Millennium Falcon". I had some online friends in France get me a stack I tickets and I made the millennium falcon and x-wings. No glue required.

Scale all you want but 1/18th, good gawd!!!! I wanna see that :D Geez think of the uber detail you can cram into that one :p

G1

I will try, Captain!

Not quite in the same league but fun nonetheless. Google "Paris Metro Ticket Millennium Falcon". I had some online friends in France get me a stack I tickets and I made the millennium falcon and x-wings. No glue required.

Yeah, I saw those before. Cute little purple origami bastards.

I have an idea. I'm going to take your template, with your permission, of course, and upscale it from the starting point, around 1/128 scale, if I'm not mistaken, and blow it up to 1/18 scale.

This is going to take maths, cardstock, and plenty of GIMP.

good luck with this one... AND THEY'RE NOT FLIR BLISTERS GOD DAMNIT!!!!