post-278-1243406497_thumb.png

I did a little zoom while looking at the teaser page, and the patch on his hat says "Militaries Sans Frontiers." Interesting.

We covered that like 2 pages back. :)

Going through what's been translated, I don't see any reason to believe that the picture is not of Big Boss. There was some information out very early that supposedly hinted at this character being someone else, but as of this morning, it looks like Kojima is just being vague (keeps calling him "the old man") about his identity. The gist of what I am reading is that it may come down to the character no longer being called Big Boss in that period of time. But, until we hear otherwise, I am referring to him as Big Boss.

The most reasonable explanation is that the story takes place post-Metal Gear but pre-Metal Gear Solid. This would also allow for the Cyborg Ninja to be Gray Fox. But honestly, who the hell knows? This is Kojima we are talking about, LOL.

And yet another translation (via Dir_en_grey on n4g):

HM: xxx of xxx?

KJ: It should be xxx, xxxxxxx.

HM: ahh! I see!!

KJ: xxxxx xxxxx xxx. Well, it's not gonna be "x",

but our efforts is to make "x". Which will be, this baby right

here. I can't say the title yet, but this is the mainstream/what we are

aiming for. It's going to be the orthodox of the "Metal Gear Solid

Saga" up until now.

HM: The year is xxx?

KJ: No, it's xxx. If I say it correctly it should be xxx. Right now I am doing all the game design and directing.

HM: wow!

KJ: I think the game is gonna be sold mainly in Japan, but it's going

to have a world wide release. To me it's "xxxx". I can't call this "x"

(5), but we are putting a lot of work into the story, also it's being

made by the MGS4 staff.

HM: I see, that is great!

KJ: Right

now in Kojima Productions, we are actually re-refining our tech

department and our staffs while making this. Normally this should

really be passed on to somebody else...

KJ: The mark on this old guy's hat is going to become really important.

HM: Speaking of this mark, I see it's not a fox. It's drawn kinda like a world map.

KJ: Because not only the mark, but the game, and the system (could be

translated as either play style OR actual new system/console) will all

become new.

HM: Is it xx-xxxxxxxxxx?

KJ: Yes. We will also do what can be done on xxxxxxx. xxxx is expected so that will be in for what it's worth. Oops,

I've said something I wasn't planning on saying, laughs.

HM: hahahaha! Is that like xxxxxx, xxxxxxx? By the way where will the stage be set for this tiem?

KJ: The place is xxxxxxx. There's a place called xxxxxxxxx, somewhere

within xxxxx. In the xxxxxxxx country, some xxx is doing xxx, during

that, xxxxxx comes to this old guy.

HM: I see.

KJ: Then, this old guy was making something like the base (origin) of xxx, but then, what will happen when you go there.

HM: I see, I think that works.

KJ: xx is the theme. either xxxxx, or should we say because xxx is the

theme, either xxxxxxxxxxxx or not, why does x exist, it's talking about

the story about those parts. Everybody will probably think "Kojima is

lecturing again!". Maybe the theme will be lecturing, laughs.

HM: hahaha!

KJ: So you are doing a really thorough interview.

HM: Yes I am!

KJ: This "R", is xxxxxxxxxx.

That's all we've been able to gather so far. We'll keep updating you on the latest as it is revealed.

Some conjecture from the Providence Video Game Examiner:

"In the Famitsu article, you can see that the character has a red eye. Raiden has blue eyes. Gray Fox, better known as Frank Jaeger, had red eyes and lost one during his fight with Metal Gear Rex in Metal Gear Solid."

Edited by Duke Togo

1up.com did their own translation, which you can read a bit of here.

Sounds like they may be dropping "Solid" from the title. Also, it sounds like they are going to use the MGS4 game engine, but they are changing up the game mechanics.

Reading some other bits of the article, Kojima seems concerned the changes to the game (mechanics?) will cause the game to not sell well outside of Japan. Also, it seems as if they are expecting the announcement of this game to have a real impact, as far as what the game is and who is in it. And, of course, Kojima likes that this slow trickle of information is keeping people guessing, and that these characters may not be who (or when?) you think they are.

Edited by Duke Togo

This bit of the interview (translated by IGN) makes you think:

Hamamura: Really!? Because, when the thunder sounded and the screen lit up, "5"...

Kojima: It's X.

[remember, "X" is a censored character]

Hamamura: X!? It's different from 5?

Kojima: No. It is XXX. Oh, I might as well say everything. XXX will appear.

Hamamura: Really!

If its not a "5", its an "S". To me, that means Snake. But, who knows? I still believe its Big Boss.

I think it could also be Solidus.

New Metal Gear 'Saga' could show more background/relationship between him and Raiden.

Pre MGS2 Soldus had 2 eyes, when he lost an eye it was the left one, and after Raiden took him out, he was used for spare parts for Big Boss, until Ocelot barbequed him.

Pre MGS2 Soldus had 2 eyes, when he lost an eye it was the left one, and after Raiden took him out, he was used for spare parts for Big Boss, until Ocelot barbequed him.

I dunno, but for Big Boss, the dude in the picture is wearing his beret backwards. I didn't realize it until this morning, what Kojima was talking about, when he said something about the character in the image was different. Big Boss wears his beret to the other side. I am going to hold short in saying that the image is a reflection, say in a pane of glass (caused when the lightning strikes), because flipping the image (and with it, the eye patch) causes "Militaries Without Borders" to be unreadable.

This thread is a nice read. MGS3 my favorite, though I would prefer a take into the future for the next installment.

MGS4 engine IMO needs to be ticked to have larger maps. After playing MGS4 twice, it's pretty much has less to offer. Wouldn't mind stealth infiltration in cities filled with crowds of civilians and traffic.

I'm still hoping to see Solid survive and become a mentor to Sonny. The idea to play with a female would be a fresh change to the franchise.

It could very well be two games in announcement. MGS4 redone with extras and etc like it happened to the previous installments. (Maybe this version following through the story as Raiden?) and obviously then MGS5. This could also explain the Raiden the Big Boss clone images?

The Teaser site has been updated, the Cyborg Ninja has joined Big Boss. Also, "6" "C" and "0" (or "O") have been added to the mix of numbers and letters.

post-1088-1243566863_thumb.jpg

Maybe its just me, but the Cyborg Ninja looks distinctly female, and not at all like Raiden. I mean, look at its eye.

The Teaser site has been updated, the Cyborg Ninja has joined Big Boss. Also, "6" "C" and "0" (or "O") have been added to the mix of numbers and letters.

post-1088-1243566863_thumb.jpg

Maybe its just me, but the Cyborg Ninja looks distinctly female, and not at all like Raiden. I mean, look at its eye.

Oh dear are you one of those suggesting this might be Sunny? :blink:

He has a barcode on his/her forehead....and the lower jaw is not xray but looks like part of his mechanical lower jaw.

post-278-1243572910_thumb.pngHmm, I forget, how dead was Olga?

Sure she got shot in the head, but given the appearance of the new Ninja's head, I'd say this is a somewhat likely theory.

Edited by Keith

post-278-1243572910_thumb.pngHmm, I forget, how dead was Olga?

Sure she got shot in the head, but given the appearance of the new Ninja's head, I'd say this is a somewhat likely theory.

Grey Fox was dead. He was brought back to life. So why not Olga?

Hell, even Solidus was revived to be really icky...

To me that's still Raiden. Though clearly the new render has more detail and tiny alterations to the designs and makes him look slightly different. And besides, Raiden is a chick. :p

Edited by Omegablue

I agree. I still feel it's more towards a revamped MGS4.

I am not sure how that makes much sense. The game came out only a year ago. I mean, a redone MGS4 with a not so old Solid Snake (now missing an eye) and Gray Fox instead of Raiden?