So the question now is, is the hero Raiden? You know how Kojima is, I am not sold on this thunder and lightning jazz. Until he says its not Snake (old school Snake, pre-MGS 1, 2, 4?), I am assuming its still going to be Snake.

Edited by Duke Togo

Frankly Snake's story is over as far as I'm concerned, and it seems like Kojima has said the same. There really isn't much need to have any pre-MGS post MG games. If this really is just a strait up MGS5 it sounds like Konami just wants to print some more money. I love MGS, but the best stories have an end and they ended things on a perfect note.

I wish they'd revisit something else for their next big game.

i know its a long shot but is there anyone on the boards that has a copy of that Famitsu mag with the Metal Gear teaser in it that they would be willing to part with?

if not, is it possible for one of the Mwers in Japan to pick one up for me?

Isn't out until the 30th.

"MGS 5 @ E3, starring Jack the Ripper (prequel of Raiden)", exploring the 'child warfare' aspect of his background can be kind of cool. Some new ground to cover that is not being repeated in the Snake's storyline. With both the MGS franchise & Raiden being fleshed out so well, I don't think Konami will give it up so easily. Snake's story has wrapped up pretty nicely. But there are a lot of room for building up Raiden's past, and possibly future too. Or if Kojima really wants to fool the fans, do a 180 and advertised the next Metal Gear game is MGR, Metal Gear Raiden, then turn out you only play as Raiden in the first 1/4 of the game, and the rest with Solid Snake again. :lol:

Don't really want the franchise to end, as long as a quality game comes out every few years. Switching to Raiden or someone else is fine.

Edited by mpchi

Frankly Snake's story is over as far as I'm concerned, and it seems like Kojima has said the same. There really isn't much need to have any pre-MGS post MG games. If this really is just a strait up MGS5 it sounds like Konami just wants to print some more money. I love MGS, but the best stories have an end and they ended things on a perfect note.

I wish they'd revisit something else for their next big game.

My thoughts exactly. ^_^

Almost any scenario would be acceptable.

-Metal Gear/Metal Gear 2 remake

-MGS 1,2,3 upgrade with MGS4 engine.

-MGS5 Starring Raiden

-MGS5 Starring someone else

-MGS5 somehow starring a fixed Solid Snake (maybe Big Boss had super nano's that defeated all that repaired Snake's DNA why not! Or Sonny did it!!)

-New re-entry of Snatcher into the MGS mythos, all new tactical espionague action, mixed with crime scene investigation & dating sim. AWESOME! :)

As for those who don't want more, Metal Gear is a surprisingly not pimped out franchise considering its age. And really, the MGS4 engine is too perfect not to use again.

Well, we know its a MGS game because its on the cover of the coming Famitsu, and we know its atleast coming out for the PS3. There are really only two options here, its a prequel or a sequel (they wouldn't call it "5" if it was a remake, plus the Famitsu story has it as "new"). A prequel means Solid Snake or Big Boss, a sequel could mean anything. Raiden would mean Cyborg Ninja, and I don't really see how that fits into the kind gameplay Kojima has been pushing with MGS (though a Tenchu-style Kojima game would be quite interesting).

PSM3 is reporting that Kojima will also be announcing a game (besides MGS5, and not MGS related) for the PS3 at E3.

Really, they might as well just say ZOE3, why ask about interest, and then do nothing!

While MGS5 may be a given, I don't think that "use of the game engine again" is really a valid reason for it. The engine is fantastic and Konami can and likely will use it (or some variation) for any number of next gen titles.

I'll still likely get whatever this new MG title is, they just need to keep the quality up, especially if Kojima is heading up other projects and stepping back from MG.

I just want another Big Boss prequel. I believe Kojima once said that he'd be willing to do more stories about Big Boss, and there's a 25-year gap from Portable Ops' story to the old MG games.

I'd prefer this as well, but I think he's wanted to move to Raiden Since MGS2 came out, and wasn't expecting the backlash that it caused. Now that Snake is done, what is to stop him?

Well you can really only work with prequels in Raiden's case, which potentially limits how many games you can get out of him. I like the happy ending, I'm fully human again and have a family thing they did for him at the end of MGS4.

Still between Big Boss and Raiden you could probably get to about MGS8 if you really wanted to.

Kojima's next game... Lord of Shadow?

Saturday 23-May-2009 10:17 AM Hideo Kojima involved in Konami action game?

post-1088-1243256176_thumb.jpg

Kojima Productions has been busily teasing away its next game this month, but after revelations in the world of magazines its next title could have already been accidentally revealed.

The latest issue of PSW - which went on sale this week - features a teaser for its next issue with the headline, "Hideo Kojima's Next Game". It continues: "Konami has been busy hinting at what the Metal Gear Solid 4 developer will do next. Well we know. And all will be revealed next issue!"

The teasing text is accompanied by a silhouette of what appears to be a big burly man. It's since been discovered that the silhouette pays a near-perfect resemblance to the lead character from Konami's 360 and PS3 action game, Lord of Shadow. Whoops.

In case you missed it, Lord of Shadow was announced last year and is being developed by Spain-based Clive Barker's Jericho dev, Mercury Steam. It's described as a "dark fairy tale with lots of combat and puzzle solving. Konami boldly claimed, "this is a title we hope will set a new standard for action-adventure titles."

Considering the big song a dance he's made recently over intentions to work with a Western developer, Kojima's supposed involvement in the game seems plausible.

That said, as Lord of Shadow's isn't strictly a Kojima Productions title, we'd be surprised if it turned out to be the developer's 'big' reveal being teased on the internet this month.

For the full low-down on what Kojima's up to we suppose we're going to have to tick down the hours to E3, Kojima Productions' website countdown or PSW number 122 on June 18.

For the record, LoS takes place during the middle ages, and does not match the images seen on the teaser site. As reported earlier, there are most likely two games being announced at E3, one of them being MGS5.

Why the Raiden hate? I thought MGS2 was the best of the series until 4. I think Raiden is an interesting character, especially after 4. Just because Snake has been tied off doesn't mean there aren't other baddies needing attention. And they could bring back Snake, I mean, it's all about the clones, right?

Why the Raiden hate? I thought MGS2 was the best of the series until 4. I think Raiden is an interesting character, especially after 4. Just because Snake has been tied off doesn't mean there aren't other baddies needing attention. And they could bring back Snake, I mean, it's all about the clones, right?

Because Snake is cool, Raiden is an emo pussy.

I think MGS1 is actually the best in the series.

And I don't really hate Raiden but he's kinda like the running joke for Kojima. He actually admitted that he and his staff went out and surveyed random girls in a mall why they wouldn't want to play a game like MGS. They replied "Because it has an old man for the character and not a hot guy~". Kojima was sad and thus Raiden was born. :lol:

Everyone who played the original MGS wanted to play as the badass again, everyone else who heard about how awesome MGS was wanted to play as the badass. Instead, everyone got Raiden for the remainder of MGS2. We never really got to play as Snake extensively until MGS4. :p

But seriously, I do think Raiden is interesting (ignoring emo-ness). Raiden is kinda like a newer generation "clone" of Snake, raised on modern technology and virtual reality. The Snake of "Now".

I actually prefer Snake keep his well-earned rest. Sure I like to see him make an important cameo every now and then. ;)

Edited by shiroikaze

The opposite seems to be true for MGS 4 though. The amount of emo-ing and sighing Snake goes through was pretty annoying. Well...he's old after all. :lol:

And Raiden was just GAR in MGS4. Srsly.

Oh come on! Raiden flipped out and went all cyber-ninja...how can he be a puss?! Furthermore, you can't say that, because characters, like real life, evolve. How do you know Raiden wouldn't have matured since 2, which given the events of 4, I would think he would have. And, furthermore, Snake was a puss as well, come on a stress level meter, call your shrink? I don't think it's fair to bash Raiden, especially when the main reason for hating him is because you wanted to be Snake in MGS2. If MGS5 is about Raiden, my respect for Kojima will only grow. Snake has run his course, it's time for someone else to step up.

it be either a brand new story or we play him during the time between MGS2 and MGS4.

that's possible. afterall, there's so & so years missing between Big Shell & MGS4. there's still a big chunk of in-between story to tell if they wanted to.

but honestly, i couldn't stand 18 hours of Raiden & i wanted to tune him out every time in MGS4.

i can't see myself going through a new MGS with 18-24 hours full of Raiden.

but who knows, MGS5 could star... JOHNNY ! :ph34r:

yeah. i'd play 18-24 hours of that.

If they want the female demographic, why not Meryl? Established, liked character with little actual screen time so far. (plus, it'd make all the "beauty" face camo work a whole lot better if they include stuff like that in the next game)

Raiden should have died in 4, nobody gets crushed by a giant ship and lives to tell the tale. I say MGS5 will star rebuilt Grey Fox since being crushed doesnt affect cyborg ninjas anymore. Or better yet MGS5 will be about snake in a retirement home with 3 days left to live. He will have drug induced hallucinations and imagine the hospital staff as genome soldiers, once he gets out of the bed shackles comedy will ensue.

If they want the female demographic, why not Meryl? Established, liked character with little actual screen time so far. (plus, it'd make all the "beauty" face camo work a whole lot better if they include stuff like that in the next game)

MGS2 didn't have face camo. :p Next best thing besides a strong, capable Meryl connecting to a female audience? Use a hot guy/actor/singer/model/etc,

Nonsensical MGS2 Comercial featuring Gackt

Even if the comercial doesn't make sense...

Anyway, I giggled on the inside:

Edited by shiroikaze