Creative Funding For New Toys

MacrossMan

What are you saying here Jr? You have $8k in your account??!

Ah, no. I'm hoping to get a job (looks good so far) that pays $8000 a year at part-time.

Ah, just-above-minimum-wage... It's amazing for a minor.

Anyway, for the independents out there:

1: Eat cheaply; do not go out every day. I'm not saying eat a ramen diet, just don't eat McDonalds a lot. Taco Bell, however, is an exception, because it's dirt-cheap. (I'm not saying that just because I'm getting a job at TB.)

2: Prioritize. Some things are more important than others. Electric, for example. Pay the bills you have to first, then the ones you want most. Secondhand, non-necessary bills are bad. For example, if you have a home security device, and it hasn't been tripped once yet, stop paying for that service.

3: Put away a fixed amount of money (like, $20 US) in a savings account every paycheck. This is not only useful for that new Yamato or whatever, but if something bad happens, and you need the funds, you've got that cushion.

4: Take overtime. In the US, I know, most places are legally supposed to pay extra for overtime. Further, more hours means more money, anyway. If there's overtime available, take it.

5: Don't get too stressed out. Moving from the stuff above, if you get to frazzled trying to keep all this up, stop. Just stop screwing your health over like that. Overly stressing yourself, mentally or physically, will cause bad things only, and you know it. If you're sick of the same, cheap food, over and over, eat somewhere nice. If you're shot from too much work, take a day or two off.

My advice to the wise, from an immature man, only yet coming upon his right to claim such things.

When you're married, that is part of your daily duty as a hubby. I have never been married before, but I sure love bachelor's life. Which gives me more cash-flow at the end of the month.

Happy 35th you old fart you! Haha.... me kidding brah.

Ha! Appreciate the birthday wishes Q-dawg. Old fart, it's all good bro-ham as I noticed a gray hair in my eyebrow just last week. Thought I had a piece of lint on my face. I'm normally bald, but now notice the hair near my temples graying when it grows out. Not very noticeable, but it's definitely beginning to change. Gray chest hairs too. Old fart suits me well!

Duty. I dread that word, but it's the truth. I have to admit that some days I miss being a bachelor. You appreciate the things you take for granted as a single guy. Marriage aint so bad though. Can't say I would do it again, but it's what you make it. It's just the days that it aint so good that you see singles guys and you yearn for their lifestyle.

All in all, the good has outweighed the bad as far as being in a marriage. The effects it has on my ability to collect Macross stuff has actually been very minimal.

I know this sounds bad, but it's almost like another woman dropped a baby off at our house and said it was mine and my wife's only response was: This baby is going to need milk.

I've been going to the store for milk since January 2008.

Duty. I dread that word, but it's the truth. I have to admit that some days I miss being a bachelor. You appreciate the things you take for granted as a single guy. Marriage aint so bad though. Can't say I would do it again, but it's what you make it. It's just the days that it aint so good that you see singles guys and you yearn for their lifestyle.
I'm 32 and you gave me the reason to remain a bachelor for another 32 yrs!

I build and sell custom lightsabers.

youtube channel

My macross collecting has slowed down a lot. I recently purchased a VF-1d, and the VF-11. My next purchase will be the VF-25S Armored Messiah Valkyrie - Ozma Custom. That will be it for a while, unless the VF-0D 1/60 comes out.

DAMN YOU!!! For the shameless plug! I'm not even into the whole Star Wars thing, but I would certainly like to have one of these just for the heck of it; if they're affordable! Please send me a PM with a price on what something like this would cost. Thanks!

I could move back to Chicago and work for a close knit FAMILY that works in the sanitation buisness, but I would have to buy some jogging suits and dust off the old Zubaz pants.

Maybe not, I would probably end up with a nickname like "Joey Robots". :lol:

For those of you planning to stay away from women you might as well sell your seed.
I'd rather have them work for it!

You can also stand on the side of a road with sign begging for money.
I'd rather do that than to kiss or suck up to women!

I'm surprised this thread is still going! I'm blessed to have found the right woman and it took some waiting and looking! She knew what she was getting into BEFORE she married me so she knew what to expect (and visa versa). I still ask her, "so like why do you need 20 purses to carry the same old stuff around in? I only have ONE wallet?" Then she comes back with, "so why do you need another model ((or if she hits below the belt, another Macross model)). That usually ends the conversation right there!

Now that I have children, it just gives me more excuses to buy Macross stuff (my son is as big a robot fan as I am). How does this relate to the thread on funding for new toys? I have no clue! But just so you know, there are spouses who support your "habbit." You just gotta look (and in my case, pray!) - MT

For those of you planning to stay away from women you might as well sell your seed.

I covered that in this post.

Are you:

Caucasian

6 feet tall

20-26

Blue or green-eyed

Mild complexion

Medium build

Blond or brown-haird

Dimples

If all of the above are true, You can prospectively make $14000 US a year by selling your sperm.

:lol:

Having a wife who supports my hobby partially is very nice. My "expendable" income used to be in real estate, and hopefully, that'll come back sometime later this year or sometime next year. Till then, I am selling stuff I definitely can do without to get things I can probably do without, but want more than the others :unsure: Other than those, I rely on getting my pay grade increases to help support my habbit. Someone, stop the insanity!!!

How about large scale recycling for money (glass, plastic, and aluminum bottles)? You get to help the environment while you're at it.

Unless you live in California and get CRV, it's not nearly as easy as it sounds. If you're getting scrap value, your looking at about 5 cents USD per pound of PET plastic for anything under 20 TONS. cans are slightly better at about 17 cents per lb as whole cans under 20 tons.

bottles are actually the worst, clear container glass (best price) is about $10 per TON (about half a cent per lb or 1 penny for every 2 bottles).

the point is unless you live in one of the dozen or so states where you get 5/10 cents per container of every kind you're going to need to run a BIG operation to make any kind of money off recycling.

(I live in CA so I do a bit better; about $3.00 per lb for cans. With just the combined consumption of 4 people I can get about 100lbs in 8~9 months.)

Unless you live in California and get CRV, it's not nearly as easy as it sounds. If you're getting scrap value, your looking at about 5 cents USD per pound of PET plastic for anything under 20 TONS. cans are slightly better at about 17 cents per lb as whole cans under 20 tons.

Yup, I take advantage of that all the time in California. Help from family and friends really make it worthwhile, but I usually never spend it. ^_^

I normally I can do do about $4-500 a year to supplement toy purchasing, but now every penny I scrap together form now until December is going to a new camera. the sad thing one of the main things I want to do with the camera is take pictures of toys, but because all my free money is going to the camera I can't afford to by toys to take pictures of... cruel, cruel irony :(

I'm also diligently whoring myself out to every franchise of the evil empire (i.e. fast food) in the bay area.

bottles are actually the worst, clear container glass (best price) is about $10 per TON (about half a cent per lb or 1 penny for every 2 bottles).

the point is unless you live in one of the dozen or so states where you get 5/10 cents per container of every kind you're going to need to run a BIG operation to make any kind of money off recycling.

(I live in CA so I do a bit better; about $3.00 per lb for cans. With just the combined consumption of 4 people I can get about 100lbs in 8~9 months.)

OH GAWD! Don't bring up recycling cans, people.

We collected cans for 2 years, picking them off the streets, even, and had 200 pounds of cans.

$52.46 US.

NOT worth it. AT ALL.

Instead, do something worthwhile. Like...

Hell, I'm out. I can't think of anything.

OH GAWD! Don't bring up recycling cans, people.

We collected cans for 2 years, picking them off the streets, even, and had 200 pounds of cans.

$52.46 US.

NOT worth it. AT ALL.

at least you're doing something for the environment. ^_^

at least you're doing something for the environment. ^_^

Yeah, but the city has a service where I just drop my stuff in a bin, leave it by the curb Modnay morning, and it's done for me. No tedious collection of cans.

Sounds like Agent GHQ is Zendradi :)

Pete

A man and a woman? It must be PROTOCULTURE!!!

Some people mentioned not to buy a house, but rather to rent. I was just wandering why is that, i figured buying a house puts money in your own pocket instead of the lanlord. So why are people suggesting to rent instead, how does it put more money in my pockt?

No no no...this is not the way to go. Here - lemme suggest:

1. Don't own a home. Rent. Change homes constantly and be free of mortgages and all that crap and take advantage of mobility and falling prices. If you end up homeless for a month while looking for a new place - move back in with mom for a while :)

2. Stay away from BAD women

3. Be in a relationship with a GOOD woman (hint: one who a) thinks you'll be happy to get Yamato Groxier X for Christmas and gets you the Takara Beast Wars Megatron/Primal two-pack MISB for your birthday and Takara reissue God Ginrai MISB just because she loves you, b) says things like "I think you're intelligent and ambitious enough to EASILY afford taking me on vacations, buying me clothes, taking me out to fancy restaurants AND having a huge collection.. now get to work!" instead of ONLY brow-beating you for having toys, c) basically is someone who loves you as you are and you can trust

4. Avoid takeouts and ONLY go eat out and restaurants that serve the best food in town and ALWAYS buy LOTS of bottles of wine to dampen the consciousness of what it is your spending money on. Naturally - take the girlfriend on such outings and get her pleny drunk :)

5. "Bring lunch to work" ? How about: NEVER HAVE TO EVER EVER EVER GET UP AND "GO" TO WORK - EVER. EEEEEEEEVVVEEER:) In other words: be self-employed, make your own schedule - skip lunch and take the woman to dinner :)

What else?

Well - I think prioritizing helps. Do you you really want or need certain things? You have to focus on what you truly love.

In my case it's:

G1

Beast Wars Neo/II

Gundam

Macross

Soul of Chogokin

Tengenn Toppa Gurren Lagann

I am OPEN to other stuff - but not mindlessly.

And finally:

Always have only ONE pair of clothes. When your pants and shirt and socks get worn out from constantly washing them over the course of two weeks - just go out and buy ANOTHER pair.

This beats having a closet exploding with old clothes that are out of fashion, socks that keep getting lost in the laundry and it helps please women who think that you are always well dressed and your clothes look fresh.

Also leaves lots of closet space for boxes and toys :)

I do have a couple of nice trench coats though - always wanted a trench coat like Boggie and finally found one that was also relatively affordable...

Hm... what else?

Oh yeah - don't be an alcoholic :) I did that before meeting my current girlfriend - spent EVERYTHING on booze (thankfully my boss was an alcoholic too, so this didn't conflict with work)... but it really does kill your liver, your wallet and dries the skin on your face...

Drink moderate amounts of wine (two or three bottles to dinner) instead of drinking Vodka on weekdays starting at 2 pm.

Pete

HAHA A fellow slav who thinks like me. Likes Robots!!!! MUST BE A TWIN

ok so this is how I do it

im 37

I work for a major computer company as a contractor which means Im an LCD

Lowest Common Denominator

Contractors get paid sh it and we really get treated as sub humans but fu ck it ...keeps steaks in the fridge. Im a project coordinator but having worked there all this time im really just a lacky. I get sworn at, threatened with my job on a daily basis and even forced to work weekends and take calls from the PM at 130 in the morning. I used to be a PM on many projects before when I wasnt with the this crazy giant computer company. I had a very senior position and I made about 86k a year. Now its about 50k a year and i get to keep more of it with creative accounting since im an independent contractor. Companies keep pushing you into the hole.

So whats going to happen is this ! They have already fired most of the 10 + year full timers and will I believe bring me on as a full timer after my three year contract is up but at a much lower salary. That will then be the new standard, I dont plan on doing this and hopefully find another rewarding PM job making a lot more than I am now/

But this is how I do it

I have a child and she goes to montesori daycare

I chip in my 2k a month for family and BUY a HOME fund.

I put roughly 600 in mutual funds

the rest goes to food. gas car toys

I have extra cash to play with because I rent.

I rent a home for 1200 a month that includes utilities.

I have a basement apartment which is my man case full of display cases a 46 inch flat panel with my laptop attached and a desktop attached as well. A stocked bar and a 80 gallon African Tank

I have 4 other bedrooms plus a double garage

last year I bought my wife a 2004 Hyundai elantra GT Minty with 150k on it for 4000. She only used it for work and back

I drive a very well taken care of 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT that I modded

Take care of both cars and have paid in full cash

paid the insurance in cash in full for the whole year

Paid the internet and Phone for 2 years in full

Write off my 150 dollar a month Iphone bill

which leaves me with cash to spare. The old line of pride of ownership is a fallacy

Renting or Financing is the cost of living in a modern industrialized city

My living standard is no better or worse than my neighbor across the street that bought his home but is under the delusion that its his. Nope. Its still the banks until the last payment. He just lost his job as a business analyst at a pharmaceutical company and looks very ill as he cant get another job and cant make payments on his home. His wife who didnt work is now working at walmart!

Like Pete said there are advantages to renting and the biggest is mobility which is what you want in bad times. When the city wants revenue they hit the homeowner first cause they know they cant just walk out and leave.

After reading several books on the current market paradigm im in agreement that its a good time to rent in bad times and when you have enough cash and the time is right buy that home. Im planning on buying the uglist shack poo box . why cause I will gain immense pleasure fixing it up slowly as there is no rush since im already living in it . My dad bought a house with only 1000 square feet with a big lot in the middle of the city. Its now 2300 square feet and has many beautiful skylights. Paid off long time ago and when my dad was 42 all 3 house were paid off. He now has been all over the world and even taught english in china a few years ago I have another baby due in June 3rd and Im slowing down a little in my collecting but I will continue until i get bored. In the meantime IM always looking for a way to be my own boss as this is the best thing anyone can do for themselves!

Also I forgot to mention me and my wife Mother and brother in law and my daughter eat out frequently. How do we do this

I eat at a lot of asian restaurants. Vietmiese , Japanese chinese. you get more food for your buck its fresh and many more dishes to choose from and Im not talking about cheap white mans chinese food im talking about the original stuff

and I have a full bar plus I buy my meat at a chinese market which is fresh as chinese will only buy fresh food. Here is an example

I go a large chinese chain grocery store and buy one average sized lobster. It cost me 10-15 bucks at one of the white large super mall where you can BUY EVERYTHING grocery chains it cost 25-35 bucks!

Come on GMAN dont you listen to George Carlin there just words Good words to use for emotion!

Pete

Edited by nugundamII

Personally I bought a house (actually just a flat) too; as I think if I have to pay [so much] every month for rent, I may as well use it to pay for the mortgage.

But then, I suppose the only difference is the down payment. I am unsure about other countries, but in where I live it's typcially 30% of the price of the house. There are a lot of investment options and opportunities for a bulk of money of that size. So it's a decision whether you think you can earn more by investing with the bulk of money (with risks of course), or use it to get a house which is more secure? There's no right or wrong, just different views.

BTW, one more personal thought is that even the price of a house gets hell-low, a house is still a house, and you can live in it. Investment papers and contracts are another story. Yeah, I'll never get rich, but I know I'll always have a shelter.

Some people mentioned not to buy a house, but rather to rent. I was just wandering why is that, i figured buying a house puts money in your own pocket instead of the lanlord. So why are people suggesting to rent instead, how does it put more money in my pockt?

Personally I bought a house (actually just a flat) too; as I think if I have to pay [so much] every month for rent, I may as well use it to pay for the mortgage.

But then, I suppose the only difference is the down payment. I am unsure about other countries, but in where I live it's typcially 30% of the price of the house. There are a lot of investment options and opportunities for a bulk of money of that size. So it's a decision whether you think you can earn more by investing with the bulk of money (with risks of course), or use it to get a house which is more secure? There's no right or wrong, just different views.

BTW, one more personal thought is that even the price of a house gets hell-low, a house is still a house, and you can live in it. Investment papers and contracts are another story. Yeah, I'll never get rich, but I know I'll always have a shelter.

you are right too

my wife wants to put down 10-20% I say put down nothing and keep the cash. 40k in your had is better than 40k to the bankers. Plus that monthly payment with interest tax this tax that goes to the banker. technically he didnt take any risk giving you the money as he simple abra kadabra gave you a debt. You on the other hand took all the risk and are now slave to your home unless you can still manage to enjoy your life on this planet. I will buy a home. I looking at around 2011 but not now.

plus in my town everytime i put an offer i was laughed at because some crazy asian immigrant with money stolen from his own people put in 2ice the amount of my offer. so let them bid themselves into oblivion

Edited by nugundamII

Shiets, I'm paying less than what I was renting. Besides, I don't like the idea of paying someone else's mortgage. And not to mention, the tax advantage as a home owner helps too.

FYI, the person who I bought my home from paid approx. $230K back in '04 when it peeked. I paid far less than a fraction of that.

Edited by Agent-GHQ

Some people mentioned not to buy a house, but rather to rent. I was just wandering why is that, i figured buying a house puts money in your own pocket instead of the landlord. So why are people suggesting to rent instead, how does it put more money in my pocket?

I was wondering the same thing. I’m having a hard time comprehending how paying rent can be a creative way to help pay for toys.

There are many pros and cons to buying vs. leasing (renting) when it comes to purchasing a vehicle. I can see the validity on both sides of the argument as well as the stupidity when the wrong choice is made.

It’s hard to comprehend why anyone would choose to rent/lease a house. I can think of only two reasons. The person has money to burn and it doesn’t matter or is in a position where they are not able to purchase a home for whatever reason.

I have a friend who travels the world as an aircraft mechanic. His contracts take care of room and board when he is traveling. In some cases he receives a per diem for room and board based on the length of the contract and the cost of living for the particular market he is working. Otherwise he is put up in an extended stay hotel. He stopped paying rent for his apartment at home when he realized he was only there for about 4 months out the year. He figured if he was going to be paying for somewhere he isn’t living he may as well be buy a place and that way he doesn’t lose money. If he ever decides to move he can at least get his money back by selling the place.

The wife and I have close to 3000 sq. ft. of all brick new construction completed in December 2006. We have 4 BR’s, 3 full baths, a formal living room with dining area, a huge kitchen with hearth room (my man cave), a partially covered deck with large patio, 3 car garage, two wash rooms and fully fenced in backyard with 6 foot privacy fence. That's not bad for under $2000 a month, which includes taxes and insurance, on a 30 year fixed interest rate mortgage with $0 down. I've attached several pics to put this into perspective.

It would probably cost twice our current mortgage payment to rent a place with the same amenities we have. A family that pays $4000 a month in rent instead of $2000 in a monthly mortgage payment doesn’t make logical sense. Doing so would equate to $48,000.00 out the window in a year’s time, versus $24,000 that goes towards principal, interest, taxes, and insurance; all of which comes back to the family in some form of payment with the exception of insurance.

As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on this one.

post-7126-1242921048_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242921066_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242921104_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242921206_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242921221_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242921236_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242921287_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242921318_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242922265_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242922557_thumb.jpg

post-7126-1242922591_thumb.jpg

Edited by MacrossMan

Shiets, I'm paying less than what I was renting. Besides, I don't like the idea of paying someone else's mortgage. And not to mention, the tax advantage as a home owner helps too.

FYI, the person who I bought my home from paid appeox. $230K back in '04 when it peeked. I paid far less than a fractiono of that.

wow

for 230 I would have bought it in a heart beat!!!!!!

Here a 2000 sq home goes for about 340 which is down 10% which is still 40% overinflated and when I put an offer down the agent laughed and said their was an offer for 380K???? NOT WORTH IT!! TRUST ME

plus then you have about 15-30k in buying closing fees. IN the mortal wise ones ie Carlin, Black KISS MY ASS@!

so.... we have condos here with 500sq feet for 170k plus 500-700 monthly maintenance fees. Then they have been sold like 3 times over by the Tongs, Wongs Changs Lees and it goes on no thanks!

Just waiting for canada to close the borders

I was wondering the same thing. I’m having a hard time comprehending how paying rent can be a creative way to help pay for toys.

There are many pros and cons to buying vs. leasing (renting) when it comes to purchasing a vehicle. I can see the validity on both sides of the argument as well as the stupidity when the wrong choice is made.

It’s hard to comprehend why anyone would choose to rent/lease a house. I can think of only two reasons. The person has money to burn and it doesn’t matter or is in a position where they are not able to purchase a home for whatever reason.

I have a friend who travels the world as an aircraft mechanic. His contracts take care of room and board when he is traveling. In some cases he receives a per diem for room and board based on the length of the contract and the cost of living for the particular market he is working. Otherwise he is put up in an extended stay hotel. He stopped paying rent for his apartment at home when he realized he was only there for about 4 months out the year. He figured if he was going to be paying for somewhere he isn’t living he may as well be buy a place and that way he doesn’t lose money. If he ever decides to move he can at least get his money back by selling the place.

The wife and I have close to 3000 sq. ft. of all brick new construction completed in December 2006. We have 4 BR’s, 3 full baths, a formal living room with dining area, a huge kitchen with hearth room (my man cave), a partially covered deck with large patio, 3 car garage, two wash rooms and fully fenced in backyard with 6 foot privacy fence. That's not bad for under $2000 a month, which includes taxes and insurance, on a 30 year fixed interest rate mortgage with $0 down. I've attached several pics to put this into perspective.

It would probably cost twice our current mortgage payment to rent a place with the same amenities we have. A family that pays $4000 a month in rent instead of $2000 in a monthly mortgage payment doesn’t make logical sense. Doing so would equate to $48,000.00 out the window in a year’s time, versus $24,000 that goes towards principal, interest, taxes, and insurance; all of which comes back to the family in some form of payment with the exception of insurance.

As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on this one.

Fu ck me thats nice

Maybe I should live in the states

Me I like my 50k in the bank

My wife saved up 40k but the houses here are mad!

this is what went for 380k

post-4512-1242929626_thumb.jpg

this is my rental

post-4512-1242929813_thumb.jpg

So it I got a home now I would have a roof over my head and no life and no money

if I rent for now I have a roof over my head and a great life full of vacations

I did own a condo once. Not all that!! got rid of it.

I have been thinking about moving to the states tho

Edited by nugundamII