Bandai 1/48 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread

azrael

Okie Dokie, I'll start! DROOOOOOL!!! I'm down for one variable or not. Problem is should I buy this one or wait for the inevitable VF-25S, or the VF-25 w/ super pack?

Chris

Okie Dokie, I'll start! DROOOOOOL!!! I'm down for one variable or not. Problem is should I buy this one or wait for the inevitable VF-25S, or the VF-25 w/ super pack?

Chris

Wait Chris !!

ahhhhhhhh a must have model here :rolleyes:

Is it confirmed somewhere that it is a 3 modes variable kit ???

kind of sad that my only 2 1/72 are not done and here comes the 1/48 version ^_^

Edited by Ghostkiller

Someday, when I'm older and I have to sell off all my toys, I imagine setting up a little work bench and taking on modeling as a hobby. It's news like this that has me convinced that that is the road I will eventually go.

Allright my first post!

Good to see another Macross fighter in 1/48 my scale of choice....wish they'd do Destroids too....

I actually hope this kit doesn't transform. I'd rather Bandai do what Hasegawa does and make a very detailed and "accurate" fighter and battroid as separate kits and dump all the transforming parts. The kits'll be cheaper and most of us just leave the models in one configuration anyways.

If it doesn't transform I will pass. From the pick unless they perfected the seems where parts move and separate it doesn't look like it transforms. It looks great, but I am not big on non transforming Macross models.

The fact that its a 1/48 makes my day, but the question, unless i missed something. Does this bad boy transform. Either way i'll get one, but if its variable, all the better!!! Just think of the custom 1/48 squadron you could make with these!! B))

Allright my first post!

Good to see another Macross fighter in 1/48 my scale of choice....wish they'd do Destroids too....

I actually hope this kit doesn't transform. I'd rather Bandai do what Hasegawa does and make a very detailed and "accurate" fighter and battroid as separate kits and dump all the transforming parts. The kits'll be cheaper and most of us just leave the models in one configuration anyways.

Welcome to the board aquilon! I'm also a fighter mode guy and while I'd love this to be variable, I wouldn't mind it if it is just a straight fighter kit, it would probably help keep the cost down! :)

Chris

I wouldn't mind it if it is just a straight fighter kit, it would probably help keep the cost down! :)

Chris

Given Bandai's predictable marketing nature, it wouldn't be a static display model, but likely a PG grade, as some of us have surmised.My guess is that the photo is of a quick stereolithography mock-up that they put out to gauge public reception.

Probably so, anyone remember if this was the case with the 1/72 kit? Either way I'm happy and getting one! :D If it is indeed variable I hope they don't just scale up the 1/72 kit and add some improvements like a way to lock the legs and wings in fighter mode, fix the wing root guns (since they don't sit well in fighter mode, and have a way to mount the gun in fighter mode without need the stand peice.

Chris

Welcome to the board aquilon! I'm also a fighter mode guy and while I'd love this to be variable, I wouldn't mind it if it is just a straight fighter kit, it would probably help keep the cost down! :)

Chris

Thank you for the greeting Dobber! Been a lurker on this forum for a couple of months after I found it by accident - definitely enjoying going through the threads.....now I have this hankerin' to dig up that old Arii 1/72 VF-1A Armored Battroid I built as a kid and re-build it....

Given Bandai's predictable marketing nature, it wouldn't be a static display model, but likely a PG grade, as some of us have surmised.My guess is that the photo is of a quick stereolithography mock-up that they put out to gauge public reception.

I won't be so quick to call it a PG unit since it's still a prototype. And Bandai does make large, non-PG models like this one: http://dalong.net/review/seed/le1/le1_p.htm

post-467-1242350809_thumb.jpg

Yeah it is huge, compared to a 1/72

Let's assume it can transform, what can they improve over the 1/72? For me:

As other mentioned, more latch to lock stuff in place.

Opening canopy. That should be expected at this scale.

Eliminate those 3D decal (Example: 1, 2).

Posable hands and fingers.

post-467-1242350809_thumb.jpg

Yeah it is huge, compared to a 1/72

Those are not "decals" but "stickers", water slide decals conform much better than the stickers.

Making it non-transformable, then it would only be a huge fighter only model from Bandai? much unlikely...but who knows? no other mode shown. Notice how the VF-27 mockup shown beside it had at least 2 out of 3 modes made, this 1/48 is fighter only and there is no other data available.

Locking machanisms or magnets would be a MUST to a 1/48 transformable, bigger and heavier model, otherwise the mammoth would be just one big floppy mess!

Those are not "decals" but "stickers", water slide decals conform much better than the stickers.

Making it non-transformable, then it would only be a huge fighter only model from Bandai? much unlikely...but who knows? no other mode shown. Notice how the VF-27 mockup shown beside it had at least 2 out of 3 modes made, this 1/48 is fighter only and there is no other data available.

Locking machanisms or magnets would be a MUST to a 1/48 transformable, bigger and heavier model, otherwise the mammoth would be just one big floppy mess!

Knowing Bandai, I expect a model I can fully play with when assembled.

Further, I think if it's transformable, at that scale, we can expect to see the articulated fingers and gimmicks that don't even exist in the 1/60 scale.

If this becomes, somehow, their first non-Gundam PG, I want it bad. PGs are so intricate with their little... Intricacies... They have super-tight joints that aren't too tight, but not too loose, and they hold together well, and...

ME WANT!

Retractable landing gear that resembles the VF100's landing gear(looks "just right", not too long like the 1/72 model).

If this becomes, somehow, their first non-Gundam PG, I want it bad. PGs are so intricate with their little... Intricacies... They have super-tight joints that aren't too tight, but not too loose, and they hold together well, and...

ME WANT!

The first PG kit WAS a non-Gundam kit. :phttp://www.hlj.com/product/BAN58680

anyways. if it is a PG grade VF-25, I want it to have it come in full color. no having to make all the stripes and crap with decals. at PG level they should either be able to make the panels out of separate parts for each color or at least ship the parts pre-painted.

I've got a PG GP-01 FB, it looks great but it's still a lot fiddlier and delicate than your average Yamato. the joints hold good for Poly caps and friction joints but it sill lacks ratchet joints and some of the smaller parts you have to worry about.

Or it could just be a large scale model like most of their Gundam ship kits.

Don't worry, they're setting themselves up to be let down later. If it's not a PG-style kit, we can say "we told you". :)

I won't be so quick to call it a PG unit since it's still a prototype. And Bandai does make large, non-PG models like this one: http://dalong.net/review/seed/le1/le1_p.htm

Ah yes, I have that particular model kit. It's like a giant Master Grade with the poseability of a High Grade... with a lighting gimmick. Not the best purchase I ever made, I have to admit.

Azrael might be right unfortunately... They just released the PG edition of Gundam Seed Red Astray so why would they releaes another PG so quickly afterwards? :(

But we can all hope can we!?

I'll be laughing my head off if the Battroid mode looks exactly like the 1/60 Chunkykin counterpart. :lol:

If that were the case, then this is a huge pass for me (in the very least it still would be cheaper!).

Seriously, seeing how Bandai is VASTLY better at making model kits than toys, I expect this 1/48 to look nothing less short of the perfection of that which is its CGI counterpart. If it's so, then I'm glad I passed the DX line! :D

Edited by OmegaD3k

Seriously, seeing how Bandai is VASTLY better at making model kits than toys, I expect this 1/48 to look nothing less short of the perfection of that which is its CGI counterpart. If it's so, then I'm glad I passed the DX line! :D

me too

The first PG kit WAS a non-Gundam kit. :phttp://www.hlj.com/product/BAN58680

anyways. if it is a PG grade VF-25, I want it to have it come in full color. no having to make all the stripes and crap with decals. at PG level they should either be able to make the panels out of separate parts for each color or at least ship the parts pre-painted.

I've got a PG GP-01 FB, it looks great but it's still a lot fiddlier and delicate than your average Yamato. the joints hold good for Poly caps and friction joints but it sill lacks ratchet joints and some of the smaller parts you have to worry about.

I agree with the colored parts for the stripes. That was one of the things that kept me from getting the 1/72. Also the canopy frame (the black part which you usually have to mask and paint) and the actual canopy as 2 separate parts would be nice. Oh and movable control surface parts would be cool.

I'll be laughing my head off if the Battroid mode looks exactly like the 1/60 Chunkykin counterpart. :lol:

If that were the case, then this is a huge pass for me (in the very least it still would be cheaper!).

You took the words right out of my mouth :)

I don't think Bandai has ever released a kit of transformable mecha that doesn't transform. The only thing that might make this kit non-transformable would be if it was being released under the EX kits line. Which would also mean glue, putty, sanding, and paint required. EX kits are usually reserved for obscure or limited popularity stuff though.

Hmmn. Based on how PG Gundam eyes etc are molded, they very well could mold the clear canopy and the black frames together as a single part. Now, the question is if they'll actually make them purple this time around...