handheld macross video games

mospeadia.com

any info on these rare hanheld lcd games???

price and rarity? :mellow:

thanks much!

This is based on my own personal experinces mind you, but I'll take a stab at it.

The most common handheld game in mmy experience is the Macross II Spaceflight game.

macross_ii_game_front.jpg

The most interesting thing about this game is that the box and instructions are in English and so was intended for the international market. My box also has a Tatsunoko sticker, which we know means that this item was intended for distribution outside of Japan (part of the Tatsunoko/Big West agreement).

macross_ii_game_back.jpg

Though the game is an obvious sequel to the Takatoku Toys Macross II Spaceflight game, the intructions say "Distributed By Income Trading Co." (lower right)

handheld_macb.jpg

My "theory" is that the game was acquired during Takatoku's bankruptcy and resold for profit on the international market. This is supported by the fact that the game console itself uses a "movie" design (the Valk display from DYRL) and we know that TT had DYRL products in development when they folded.

The second most common is the Macross Spaceflight game.

taka_spacefight.jpg

This one actually has Takatoku Toys written on the box. It also features international packaging. Both of these games are fairly easy to find still in their original boxes, though I do think Macross II is more common. MW estimates the value of Macross II at about $40, and I'd say both of these are still around that price range.

I have never seen either of these games in a Japanese box.

The third LCD handheld is the Save The ARMD-1 game. I actually dont have one of these and have never seen one for auction. Maybe because they were only released in Japan as is evident by the Japanese packaging. I would probably put this game at $70 - $80. (I'm probably shooting myself in the foot as someone is going to read this and I'll have to pay that much). It was obviously released during or after DYRL. I wouldn't say its a stretch to say that the game may have been developed by Takatoku Toys and Bandai acquired and released it.

I'm using the pics here on MW, but I will pull the first two games out of storage next time I run across them and get some higher rez pics.

ban_armd1.jpg

• 8 years later...