Macross Mecha Manual Updated

Any plans to do the RX-78GP-01 "Zephyranthes" (standard and Full Vernian), RGM-79N GM Custom, RGM-79Q GM Quel, and RX-178 Gundam MK II (both color schemes) at some point in the future?

No plans. The "More Mecha" section is just a sampler page that mainly celebrates good anime mechanical design. I may add more profiles in the future, but the section is not going to grow to any great size. The one priority I have for "More Mecha" is to somehow obtain high resolution scans of black and white artwork from other anime properties like Akira or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Edited by Mr March

No plans. The "More Mecha" section is just a sampler page that mainly celebrates good anime mechanical design. I may add more profiles in the future, but the section is not going to grow to any great size. The one priority I have for "More Mecha" is to somehow obtain high resolution scans of black and white artwork from other anime properties like Akira or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Okay, thanks for the quick answer.

can you add the transformation lineart to the Zeta Gundam.

It's in the Entertainment Bible.

Perhaps, but I'd prefer not to add it. The More Mecha section is just supposed to be simple, sample profiles for the most part. There are already more than enough Gundam websites and I don't want to get into duplicating most of whats already out there.

I love the new high-res pictures for the mecha. Thanks for the update!

I must also request a ventral view of the RVF-25. I actually am curious to know if it is capable of a standard take-off in fighter form from the Quarter's flight deck. I assume the RVF-171 has no issues with its ventral antenna, since it is launched from the Guantanamo-class ships offset from the actual flight deck. I don't know how the Uraga-class carriers typically launch their fighter complements, but it looks like it's a standard take-off in fighter form, just like the Quarter.

You never actually see Luca's RVF in fighter form anywhere in the hangar or on the flight deck. I've seen a couple of places in the series where his RVF is stored in the hangar in battroid form.

frothymug

The other pictures of the RVF-25 don't offer any insight for that point. But it stands to reason the ventral radar fin simply folds back to permit landing. The Hasegawa model schematics support this theory, for what that is worth. I've attached a picture below.

Also it's important to note that I avoid posting exhaustive pictures of the Macross Frontier mecha precisely because the show is new and Big West should be allowed to make as much money off their productions and merchandising as the market allows (to ensure more Macross in the future). Part of that is to limit online pictures to those that Big West themselves have already released into public domain. If they post a picture of the VF-25 Battroid on their website or in a magazine, there seems little problem with a fansite doing likewise. But posting ALL the RVF-25 images from the Macross Chronicle defeats part of the reason to buy those books and hence that becomes problematic. The M3 is mostly an archive anyway, something you look back upon in retrospect. Once productions end, merchandising has slowed and Frontier has left popular consciousness (which will happen eventually in a few years), more images can be posted so that new generations of fans can appreciate the artwork and become the artists of the future that build upon the successful ideas of the past.

VF5SS

In that case, I'll add the diagram.

post-114-127516217515_thumb.jpg

It'd have to land awfully flat to not scrape the fin... (most real planes with big fins on the underside tend to fold them sideways when landing--that gives more clearance---but with a fin THAT long, it'd poke out as far to the sides as the wings do--not to mention asymmetry problems)

Do you by any chance have access to a pretty much straight forward line art of a VF-1 in battroid mode? I want to compare the VF-1 battroid to toys being released but the only line art I could find was at an angle looking down at the battroid and it's essentially in an impossible to obtain pose.

Actually, there is straight forward line art of the VF-1 in battroid mode.

http://www.animelab.com/anime.manga/pics/Macross/220/20/macross.battloid.jpg

Caveat, this line art was not drawn by Shoji Kawamori. However, it is officially recognized by Big West and was drawn by a fellow member of Studio Nue, Kiyomi Tanaka.

Whoever scanned it in mistakenly credited it to "Seibi" Tanaka. Though it's a honest mistake since 精美 can be translated as Kiyomi or Seibi.

Actually, there is straight forward line art of the VF-1 in battroid mode.

http://www.animelab.com/anime.manga/pics/Macross/220/20/macross.battloid.jpg

Caveat, this line art was not drawn by Shoji Kawamori. However, it is officially recognized by Big West and was drawn by a fellow member of Studio Nue, Kiyomi Tanaka.

Whoever scanned it in mistakenly credited it to "Seibi" Tanaka. Though it's a honest mistake since 精美 can be translated as Kiyomi or Seibi.

I wish I could get ahold of a schemetic like that for the Tomahawk Destroid... Is there, by some chance, something like that out there?

Thanks TLW, still not exactly what I'm looking for because of all the schematics and such. I think I'll continue using that slightly off angle line art... it's good enough for people to get the big picture.

VF-1-Gnu-6.jpg

Edited by jenius

Hi Mr. March, I was checking your Macross Zero section and saw that you don't have a lineart for VF-0D in battroid mode

Hope these help... Various cg images of Shin's VF-0D in battroid mode and linearts.

post-3814-127643699605_thumb.jpg

post-3814-127643728473_thumb.jpg

post-3814-127643730275_thumb.jpg

post-3814-127643733472_thumb.jpg

post-3814-127643735946_thumb.jpg

Edited by charger69

TheLoneWolf

Yeah, not sure the status of that line art. I have a much better high resolution version of that picture if anyone wants it, but again, I don't think it's proportions are meant to be accurate (especially since it's supposed to be a cross-sectional).

frothymug

I've not seen any information on the attack satellites in Macross Plus. It probably exists, but is likely in a less comprehensive book/model/pamphlet somewhere. So far the Macross Chronicle hasn't had any pictures, though there may be some untranslated information on them.

charger69

I appreciate the help, but what I really need is high resolution pictures of the line art. As always, I work in very larger formats (typically individual scanned art pieces are 3,000 pixels or larger) so I need source pictures that big to include on the M3 (which I then scale down for posting online). I probably won't be adding the CGI models of Macross Zero for a while, at least until the Macross Chronicle has long since passed out of publication.

I've already used those images, which are still quite small. To give you an example of the size of the line art I need, that VF-0A Angel on that page is about the smallest size I've ever worked with to build a colored picture (and it's about 2,000 pixels wide). The reason I work in such larger sizes is complicated, but the short of it is I need the art to retain it's anti-aliasing when scanned/cleaned (which can only really work in high resolution) and to ensure the Macross Mecha Manual will be able to feature the same high quality artwork as monitor resolutions increase in the decades to come. At any rate, thanks again for the consideration.

Mr. March, I gotta say I love, love, love, your site and appreciate all the work you do on it. It's a great resource! </buttsmooch>

Quick question for you or anyone else that may know this: are there any pics of Macross Plus or 7 era military transports? Something akin the the modern day Osprey, Chinook, Blackhawk or even a C-130 or C-17?

I'm running a Macross table top game and couldn't find this info elsewhere. Thanks in advance!

Quick question for you or anyone else that may know this: are there any pics of Macross Plus or 7 era military transports? Something akin the the modern day Osprey, Chinook, Blackhawk or even a C-130 or C-17?

Let me check my Macross Chronicle binders... if there is, and we haven't covered it, odds are we will at some point in the near future. Macross 7 isn't my area of expertise, but I don't recall seeing anything like an infantry transport helo/tiltrotor. I'll check Chronicle when I get back from dinner and shoot you a PM.

That's what I call a good foresight!!

It's a necessity. The M3 took a lot of work to build. It would be shame were the site to be outdated in five years :)

Mr. March, I gotta say I love, love, love, your site and appreciate all the work you do on it. It's a great resource! </buttsmooch>

I'm running a Macross table top game and couldn't find this info elsewhere. Thanks in advance!

Thank you very much. It always makes me very happy to hear how much the site is beloved by the fans, sexual favors notwithstanding ;):lol:

To avoid reviewing the Macross 7 series, I was quite thorough documenting the appearances of vehicles throughout the series. According to my notes nothing as such has appeared in the anime. There are smaller scale vehicle carrying craft from the M7 era in the M7 series and the Macross Chronicle, but I've not seen any large military transports or other craft that would fit your descriptions. There was a passenger helicopter that appeared in M7, but that's about it. Sorry I couldn't help, but best of luck with your game.

Let me check my Macross Chronicle binders... if there is, and we haven't covered it, odds are we will at some point in the near future. Macross 7 isn't my area of expertise, but I don't recall seeing anything like an infantry transport helo/tiltrotor. I'll check Chronicle when I get back from dinner and shoot you a PM.

It's a necessity. The M3 took a lot of work to build. It would be shame were the site to be outdated in five years :)

Thank you very much. It always makes me very happy to hear how much the site is beloved by the fans, sexual favors notwithstanding ;):lol:

To avoid reviewing the Macross 7 series, I was quite thorough documenting the appearances of vehicles throughout the series. According to my notes nothing as such has appeared in the anime. There are smaller scale vehicle carrying craft from the M7 era in the M7 series and the Macross Chronicle, but I've not seen any large military transports or other craft that would fit your descriptions. There was a passenger helicopter that appeared in M7, but that's about it. Sorry I couldn't help, but best of luck with your game.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

A large plane, roughly two and a half to three VF-11 lengths shows up in the background on the tarmac of New Edwards in Macross Plus Movie Edition. I've uploaded a screencap and you can see it and a pair of smaller craft next to three even-smaller VF-11s in the upper-left parking area. On an unrelated note, check out the VF-17s and VF-17Ts on the right and the Starwing near the bottom, next to an AWACS craft.

vlcsnap2010042921h06m51.th.png

Edited by Talos

A large plane, roughly two and a half to three VF-11 lengths shows up in the background on the tarmac of New Edwards in Macross Plus Movie Edition. I've uploaded a screencap and you can see it and a pair of smaller craft next to three even-smaller VF-11s in the upper-left parking area. On an unrelated note, check out the VF-17s and VF-17Ts on the right and the Starwing near the bottom, next to an AWACS craft.

vlcsnap2010042921h06m51.th.png

Unfortunately, the Chronicle only covers the Zentradi-piloted bomber (seen in your pic) and the orange target drones that launch the dummy missiles at the YF-21.

There was a passenger helicopter that appeared in M7, but that's about it. Sorry I couldn't help, but best of luck with your game.

Actually... there are a few things that could potentially fit that description that we haven't covered yet... there's that ducted-fan type helicopter-looking thing, and the utility cargo ship the Varauta troops were going to use to transport the civilians they captured out of the fleet... but other than that, there's nothing remotely like a troop transport plane.

A large plane, roughly two and a half to three VF-11 lengths shows up in the background on the tarmac of New Edwards in Macross Plus Movie Edition.

But, as I said on MSN, given the variety of aircraft sitting around at New Edwards, it could just as easily be a vintage plane like a "Mom's Kitchen" or a "Tunny", which may even still be in service in 2040. The thing immediately adjacent to the SB-10 Starwing is clearly a EC-33B Disk Sensor unit...

Unfortunately, the Chronicle only covers the Zentradi-piloted bomber (seen in your pic) and the orange target drones that launch the dummy missiles at the YF-21.

Didn't the idea that it was piloted by Zentradi turn out to be a translation error? If memory serves, the description is meant to be read "8-engine all-wing anti-giant(s) bomber".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

But, as I said on MSN, given the variety of aircraft sitting around at New Edwards, it could just as easily be a vintage plane like a "Mom's Kitchen" or a "Tunny", which may even still be in service in 2040. The thing immediately adjacent to the SB-10 Starwing is clearly a EC-33B Disk Sensor unit...

I seem to remember agreeing with you completely and pointing out how feasible it was. :p

Heck, we have almost 60 year old KC-135s still in service. They just delivered a C-130E to the base here straight from Ramstein AFB that dates back to thee Vietnam era.

As far as that EC-33B, some of the shapes looked a little wrong to me, since I initially said that was a Disk Sensor too.

Yesterady I was reading the VF-1D techincal data and I saw that the D can be equiped with the GBP, is this correct? or, due to toys design it is restricted only for A,J and S?

Yesterady I was reading the VF-1D techincal data and I saw that the D can be equiped with the GBP, is this correct? or, due to toys design it is restricted only for A,J and S?

Possibly. The VF-1D is the same basic design as the other VF-1 craft and is a trainer (which would likely include Super and Armor training). But since we always must be wary of using common sense over adherence to the letter of an as yet unidentified canon law, we cannot say for certain that a VF-1D can be equipped with a GBP. As for the toys, I've seen pictures of a GBP equipped VF-1D Yammie, but that doesn't mean anything official :)

Possibly. The VF-1D is the same basic design as the other VF-1 craft and is a trainer (which would likely include Super and Armor training). But since we always must be wary of using common sense over adherence to the letter of an as yet unidentified canon law, we cannot say for certain that a VF-1D can be equipped with a GBP. As for the toys, I've seen pictures of a GBP equipped VF-1D Yammie, but that doesn't mean anything official :)

To expand on Mr March's answer a bit, we can say with some certainty that most of the standard variants of the VF-1 Valkyrie (-A, -J, -S) can use the GBP-1S protect armor packs. Obviously, the -J model is shown using them in the TV series and DYRL, while the video game adaptation of Macross: Do You Remember Love? (PS) shows the VF-1A and VF-1S using them as well.

In the official timeline for what is now the parallel world continuity of Macross II: Lovers Again, the OVA's creators explain why the VF-1J was the only variant shown to equip the GBP-1S. As part of their answer, they state that the packs were initially only compatible with the -J, the other variants were later modified to interface with them as well. So, while it's not strictly applicable to the main timeline, there are some official sources that establish that the VF-1D can use the GBP-1S protect armor.

EDIT: There's also a black VF-1A shown using protect armor in episode 27 of the TV series.

Edited by Seto Kaiba