^That is cool, but give me a Dropship instead.

The Aoshima releases from a few years ago are the last time I've seen a legit attempt to bring high end toy/replica to the market. There were (4) of them, one with a Colonial Marine, one with an Alien Queen, a "Screen Color" version (my personal favorite) and then a limited "Black" version - here are the couple I could find Google quickly;

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-aliens-dropship-01-aos09066

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-alien-dropship-screen-color-aos09091

The movie Aliens still, after all these years, has some of the best designs in science fiction.

-b.

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

For that money I'd get a real gun, again! LOL. Still, their items are very nice looking. Especially the Blade Runner pistols which makes me want to buy a revolver someday.

I hear you. I looked at those pulse rifles and asked myself am I crazy enough to get a replica pulse rifle for the same money as a real rifle? I'm not. I wish I was though!:D

2 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

^That is cool, but give me a Dropship instead.

The Aoshima releases from a few years ago are the last time I've seen a legit attempt to bring high end toy/replica to the market. There were (4) of them, one with a Colonial Marine, one with an Alien Queen, a "Screen Color" version (my personal favorite) and then a limited "Black" version - here are the couple I could find Google quickly;

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-aliens-dropship-01-aos09066

The movie Aliens still, after all these years, has some of the best designs in science fiction.

-b.

I had the Aoshima one back when they got released. I sold it when I sold my entire collection off in 2009-2010ish to help fund a business. That is the one piece I REALLY regret selling. Oh yeah, I regret selling the Airwolf I had too.:(

30 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I had the Aoshima one back when they got released. I sold it when I sold my entire collection off in 2009-2010ish to help fund a business. That is the one piece I REALLY regret selling. Oh yeah, I regret selling the Airwolf I had too.:(

Wasn't funding a business but I sold all of my Aoshima Dropships too, except for the screen color variant. And I regret it as well.

Sorry to all for the OT - but @sqidd how'd you like that Airwolf? I never had one but was always curious what others thought about it.

-b.

1 hour ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Wasn't funding a business but I sold all of my Aoshima Dropships too, except for the screen color variant. And I regret it as well.

Sorry to all for the OT - but @sqidd how'd you like that Airwolf? I never had one but was always curious what others thought about it.

-b.

I was a HUGE Airwolf fan (and helicopters in general) when I was a kid so my impressions are going to maybe be a little rosy.

I thought the Airwolf was fantastic. I never thought it lacked in anything aside from size. I could have been a wee bit bigger. That's a small complaint though. I have had my eye out for another Drop Ship and Black Airwolf at the right price since I got back into collecting. I'm still waiting.:D

Edited by sqidd

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I was a HUGE Airwolf fan (and helicopters in general) when I was a kid so my impressions are going to maybe be a little rosy.

I thought the Airwolf was fantastic. I never thought it lacked in anything aside from size. I could have been a wee bit bigger. That's a small complaint though. I have had my eye out for another Drop Ship and Black Airwolf at the right price since I got back into collecting. I'm still waiting.:D

Cool, thanks, as long as the release was solid then I'm good with that.

If I see either of those for sale (outside of eBay) I'll shoot you a PM.

-b.

I only have one

3 hours ago, tekering said:

That's the aforementioned "Screen Color" release (with figures from Galoob's Action Fleet line).

That mix works quite well!  I have only one set of the Aoshima Dropship/APC combo-I regret not buying more.

14 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

-b.

I can't believe it was 15 years ago, but I did a mini review of of that Airwolf.

5 hours ago, tekering said:

1336799555_flightconfiguration.jpg.559fb1c9bc90a8c146a2d7d056aa941a.jpg

That's the aforementioned "Screen Color" release (with figures from Galoob's Action Fleet line).

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I can't remember how big this is. Will it fit in a Detolf? I think it will.

15 hours ago, tekering said:

1336799555_flightconfiguration.jpg.559fb1c9bc90a8c146a2d7d056aa941a.jpg

Nice pics! Are you 100% positive about that being the screen color version? They look more like either 01 or 02 with that are military green.

The screen color version was a dark grey aaaallllllmoooostttt black in color. With the Blister Direct variant being black/black.

12 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I only have one

That mix works quite well!  I have only one set of the Aoshima Dropship/APC combo-I regret not buying more.

I can't believe it was 15 years ago, but I did a mini review of of that Airwolf.

I regret not keeping more lol. I sold a "regular" 01 or 02 and the Blister Direct version. I'm 99.9% sure I still have a MISB Screen Color variant in my basement somewhere. I'll try to dig it out later today or tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I can't remember how big this is. Will it fit in a Detolf? I think it will.

If it fits, it might be a tight fit, the antennae at the tip of the nose is kind of long and super fragile so you want to make sure there's enough clearance. 

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Very cool.  Is there dust on top of the Dropship?

44 minutes ago, sqidd said:

If I remember correctly it was dusty looking new. It was down right dirty in the movie. Even before they dropped.

LOL - they definitely had a bit of weathering to them. 

-b.

*Edit, here's the HLJ link to the Screen Color version;

Edited by Kanedas Bike
added HLJ link

1 hour ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Are you 100% positive about that being the screen color version?

Absolutely not.  It was fourteen years ago!  :lol:

Hell, I couldn't even have told you what company manufactured it... but Aoshima sounds right.  :p

02.jpg.c7ee4a692e61ae09445a134174051b21.jpg

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Is there dust on top of the Dropship?

14 years' worth, I guess.  ;)

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Absolutely not.  It was fourteen years ago!  :lol:

Hell, I couldn't even have told you what company manufactured it... but Aoshima sounds right.  :p

*snip*

14 years' worth, I guess.  ;)

LOL - good to know that I'm not the only one going crazy trying to remember this, that or the other.

And damn fourteen years...really hits home how long I've been collecting and how old I am. :shok:

-b.

wow, you guys made me reminisce.

i posted this photo April 2010 in this forum. geez, where did that decade go?

hot_drop.jpg

i think i have the black stored somewhere, but the one shown above is the weathering version. not sure if that's a 5th version or one of the 4 earlier mentioned. i also vaguely recall it might not be Aoshima but another company that starts with a "T", which if memory serves, predates Aoshima, at least with regard to producing a diecast dropship.

camo_crew.jpg

the Airwolf was really cool. about the only additional thing i wish it had was a gimmick that ejected sunbursts (not sure if that was the in-show term for flares)

If someone has one of these drop ships out can you check to see if it will fit in a Detolf for me? I would like to get another one. But It will have to be in a Detolf if I do. It won't work in my main cabs at all. Detolfs are my catch all for small categories.

I'm looking at what is out there. From what you guys have said and what I'm seeing there are a couple different releases. What do you think of this list I'm half guessing at?:

01 - This is what I would call weathered. From the little bad information I have I think this is what is referred to as "screen color". Pic below.

02 - This looks like the 01 not weathered or not weathered and a little more tan? Pic below.

03 - Black Edition. Pic below.

s-l1600.jpg.77181c9374114f8dec24897f231b515d.jpg

310396197_s-l1600(1).jpg.d2aaf28010b79d38405aaf29c5afdb3e.jpg

s-l500.jpg.e60cda15e0a6318608b063705ea230ca.jpg

Edited by sqidd

As far as I'm aware, none of the Aoshima versions were weathered (that would have been great if they were). These are the versions that I know where made and readily available at the time of their release.

Dropships:

01- "Green" regular release with Colonial Marine figure. Has 01 painted on the side.

02- "Green" regular release with Alien figure. Has 02 painted on the side.

02-"Screen Color" release. Has 02 painted on the side. I don't recall if it included a figure.

03-"Black" version sold under the Blister Direct brand name (made by and exactly the same as those under the Aoshima brand name) that includes a Colonial Marine and Alien figure.

APCs:

Green color

Screen color

All of these were available at HLJ and the links can be found via Google. Here's the Black Version and the regular (green) APC;

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-alien-drop-ship-3-black-version-bld09093

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-aliens-apc-w-alien-warrior-figure-aos09069

@sqidd I really do remember the Dropships being pretty big, from tip to tip I would err on the side of them not fitting in a detolf. And if they do, it likely be at an angle which would put that antennae dangerously close to either side of the door. And the antennae is fragile, on an otherwise solid piece of metal.

Which reminds me, the swing out arms with missile pods could get loose from their own weight. 

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Aoshima releases but I'd really love for someone to put an updated version out. Maybe in 2021 for the 35 year anniversary of Aliens.

-b.

3 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

As far as I'm aware, none of the Aoshima versions were weathered (that would have been great if they were). These are the versions that I know where made and readily available at the time of their release.

Dropships:

01- "Green" regular release with Colonial Marine figure. Has 01 painted on the side.

02- "Green" regular release with Alien figure. Has 02 painted on the side.

02-"Screen Color" release. Has 02 painted on the side. I don't recall if it included a figure.

03-"Black" version sold under the Blister Direct brand name (made by and exactly the same as those under the Aoshima brand name) that includes a Colonial Marine and Alien figure.

APCs:

Green color

Screen color

All of these were available at HLJ and the links can be found via Google. Here's the Black Version and the regular (green) APC;

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-alien-drop-ship-3-black-version-bld09093

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-aliens-apc-w-alien-warrior-figure-aos09069

@sqidd I really do remember the Dropships being pretty big, from tip to tip I would err on the side of them not fitting in a detolf. And if they do, it likely be at an angle which would put that antennae dangerously close to either side of the door. And the antennae is fragile, on an otherwise solid piece of metal.

Which reminds me, the swing out arms with missile pods could get loose from their own weight. 

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Aoshima releases but I'd really love for someone to put an updated version out. Maybe in 2021 for the 35 year anniversary of Aliens.

-b.

I'm not to confident it will fit in a Detolf either.

Yes, a new release is due I think.:good:

i no longer have a Detolf but i recall it was my first option before ultimately deciding to place it in a BESTA cabinet. i think i did manage to squeeze it in the Detolf, nearly breaking off the antenna in the process. it was only possible to display sideways, which i found boring, and the APC just barely peeking underneath. i tried diagonally, but the tail fins would then clip the Detolf corners, so you would have to move it forward, again not leaving enough room for the APC and the antenna dangerously close to the front door.

here's something a bit smaller that can fit inside a Detolf:

4d7b4006-0a99-446f-ae75-973fb437f603.jpg

this 1/18 APC fits too:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/46757

2380c417-2f1e-4c59-9f0f-fc3197b9b4a9.jpg

unfortunately mine got stuck in the US when the quarantine hit. 

Edited by Major Focker

52 minutes ago, vermillion01 said:

Aoshima fits in a detolf just fine. 

My antenna is long gone but even with it, there is plenty of clearance. 

IMG_20200419_103950_1 (1).jpg

Very nice. Thank you!

Is that the Sideshow ED-209?

Okay, so as promised I dug these up from the basement. Screen Color Drop Ship and APC, with a couple of pics with DX 1/48's for scale. The box for the Drop Ship is over-sized to allow for the the ship to be secured in styrofoam, and I stand corrected about it fitting inside of a Detolf. :)

IMG_1927.jpg.e950a2a802311c01ab020bbba1977bd4.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg.42d705c18435fe72cc86b5fbe520b6ef.jpg

IMG_1930.thumb.jpg.3d5fe86a95be599c0796ddae9dce5e5b.jpg

-b.

I am making My own 1/12th Scale Colonial Marines.

Bodies vary but one here is a Crazt figure op Gothic Serpent Body & Boots with a ML Punisher head.

Printed out screen accurate "ALIENS" USCM Marines Camo and made BDU's.

Armour is from NECA. I stripped down the molded straps and buckles, then threaded cloth straps with working scaled Fastex Buckles.  I also removed the Ab plate and then restrapped that correctly with working fastex buckle belt

Shoulders I made free floating and added female fastex buckles on threaed cloth. Then made a Webbing harness set with the Male fastex buckles to attach to the shoulders.

The Shin armour was last. Dremelled those out then cut in half. Then added cloth strapping with tiny working fastex buckles.

Next I made a belt with a drop down holster for the HK VP70.
Added a cloth sling to the M41a Pulse Rifle.
Lastly made a PDT with wrist strap.

So the armour is now removable but worn more accurately as I have owned a Full set myself.
Plus Had the privilege of Helping Trevor Steedman Armour Up and become Weizbowski Again, back in 2007 at a UK ALIENS event at the National Space Centre. As well as the ALIENS 25th Anniv at the NSC which saw many More of the "MARINES" turn Up.

93118258_205476304239230_8146431325507682304_n.jpg

92890154_205476454239215_2345692205412253696_n.jpg

92941290_205476894239171_900872684575916032_n.jpg

92953578_205476677572526_4253992324448649216_n.jpg

92971697_205476577572536_7640850676188184576_n.jpg

93024170_205476760905851_2392175227707588608_n.jpg

93054785_205476837572510_173654495668994048_n.jpg

93375881_205476627572531_3704903931298578432_n.jpg

@tekering I see you have a Bandai stand under there with the adapter for I don't know what. What valk adapter is that? How secure is it? I'd like to figure out how to get a YetiStand under it. I could probably do it with that Valk adapter (if that's what it is).

Thanks!

tail.jpg