CG VF-4

mighty gorgon

flashback.jpg

Scan from Nanashi's Information Group. 

For reference only.  Please do not post on a personal website.

That enough cockpit detail?  The sketch is by Kawamori.

Ooh that one's a little higher resolution too. How's the cockpit coming on your model Vinnie? Haven't seen much of it lately.

Edited by Nied

So how do the FPs attach? Or are there any? Forgive but I am new on anything after the VF-1.

The VF-4, contrary to the beliefs of many fan and RPG sites, has no FAST Packs. It was designed to integrate the components of a FAST Pack into the airframe. The HMM-1 verniers all over the fueslauge as well as the large sub-boosters just above the FF-2011 main engines indicate that it has all the additional thrust and maneuverability for space built in. It might not have the additional armaments associated with FAST Packs, but between the 12 Long Range Missiles, Large Bore Beam Cannons (Macross M3 intro,) shoulder mounted medium bore beam cannons (DM:VF-X,) possible wing hardpoints and possible gunpod on the starboard leg, it already goes into battle packing enough heat.

Because of the apparent emphasis on space flight, another common myth perpetuated by Fan-sites is that the VF-4 is a Space Fighter and would have horrible performance characteristics in atmosphere. If this were true, such attention wouldn't be paid to the multiple control surfaces for atmospheric flight. It has vertical stabilizers, large stabilization fins: one below the cockpit and one to the side of each engine nacelle, canards, and wings optomized for the vortex effect during supersonic flight.

That enough cockpit detail?  The sketch is by Kawamori.

Ouch! THAT'S cockpit detail!!!

So... next work, redo most of the cockpit and add all the tiny antennas and details to the nose.

You still might want to shrink down that MFD though.

you're right... I used as reference the attached image, but the proportions are different.

Regds & Thnx

Gorgon

post-5-1071800163_thumb.jpg

Did some work in the weekend... Well, you know, the model is at that stage in which every simple addition takes a long time and does not show up very much. So do no expect too much, I just corrected the control panel (MFD) added some antennas and the HOTAS (pilot removed for clarity). I also plan to rebuild thge ejection seat, using an ACES-II as the model.

Regds,

Gorgon.

post-5-1072067458_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Gorgon,

You should check out Doktor Gonzo's ejection seat for the VF-1.

I'm not sure where the VF-4 falls in the official timeline, but I'd suggest using the VF-1's seat as there are numerous references for source material. The DYRL version already accomodates the HOTAS style controls and has the macross feel for continuity. Egress systems that use the ACESII seats are HIGHLY different than what would be needed on a VF-4.

That looks awesome Gorgon. I agree with Aztek that it would be a better idea to model your ejection seat on the one in the DYRL VF-1. It would make it feel a lot more Macross, that and he's right about egress procedures as well.

Gorgon,

You should check out Doktor Gonzo's ejection seat for the VF-1.

I'm not sure where the VF-4 falls in the official timeline, but I'd suggest using the VF-1's seat as there are numerous references for source material. The DYRL version already accomodates the HOTAS style controls and has the macross feel for continuity. Egress systems that use the ACESII seats are HIGHLY different than what would be needed on a VF-4.

I agree with Aztek that it would be a better idea to model your ejection seat on the one in the DYRL VF-1. It would make it feel a lot more Macross, that and he's right about egress procedures as well.

Thanks... I started modelling an ejection seat on the few references of the VF-4 but the results were disappointing, and I *love* nice 3 views of the objects I am modelling... So far I got those of the ACESII only. But, that said, I'll check Doktor Gonzo's model.

Maybe we can see it better IF you can remove the canopy  Nice job so far, really looks awsome .

(don't tell anybody... but that's the trick! A nice glossy canopy and most people will not check the inner cockpit!!!) :D:D

and I *love* nice 3 views of the objects I am modelling... So far I got those of the ACESII only. But, that said, I'll check Doktor Gonzo's model.

In Macross Design Works, there are some good ortho views of the ejection seat. If you need better ones, PM DG and he may render you some ortho shots for refs.

Also, Gorgon, what's your background in aviation? Not alot of people are familiar enough with egress systems to differinciate between different systems, i.e., ACESII.

No background at all :ph34r:, I should say, other than modelling (plastic and now CG) and reading magazines/books etc. Fact is that I would prefer a Martin Baker... say Mk.16, but I did not get any decent drawing. Anyway... don't worry, I'll go back and try to get a "decent" Macross seat.

Regds & thnx,

Gorgon

About the hud level.. I have noticed one thing about a few aircraft, mainly the F/A-18E... If anyone here has flown Janes F/A-18 sim, you'll probably know what I mean. Since the plane doesn't fly perfectly level, the hud is actually below eye level when sitting on the ground. When you start a mission on the ground, your view is pointed down quite a bit, aimed at the center of the hud, and not at the horizon. Planes, especially delta wing designs like the VF-4, tend to fly at high angles of attack naturally. I've built quite a few model kits of various planes, and the hud usually is not centered in the pilot's view. For many planes, it seems that the top edge of the hud is level with the pilot's eyes. Some aircraft it's lower, some it's higher, probably depending on the AOA needed for level flight.

Aside from that, this model is shaping up beautifully. :)

...For many planes, it seems that the top edge of the hud is level with the pilot's eyes.  Some aircraft it's lower, some it's higher, probably depending on the AOA needed for level flight...

I agree. In the case of the BAe in the EF2000, the HUD uses almost all the room between the canopy framing and the control panel.

Apart from that, I did some work on the seat... here is the WIP (in the modeller)

Thnkx!

Gorgon

(p.d.: updated the image of the WIP, two times...)

post-5-1072406359_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Looks beautiful bro. Is the bottom "pad" removable in case some poor valk pilot soils it ???

Ouch! This reminds me of the infamous discussion on the Farleigh Fruitbat relief tube @ rec.models.scale during 1999!!!!!!! (btw, the F.F. was a mythical plane for most RMSers).

Anyway I think that somewere in the VF4 flight manual there should be some warning regarding eating spicy food before enaging in high-g maneuvers... :D:D:D

Regds,

G

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a little late in saying this, but that is some excellent looking stuff there MG. You're reaching desktop background levels here. Any chance we could see your model in the SUndowners color scheme I made? ::edit:: Just realized the thread I posted it on is gone. Here's the latest version (with inner fin detail to boot). PM me if you need a higher resolution version.

post-5-1073720072_thumb.gif

Edited by Nied

0_o the day I see a VF-4 transform from fighter, to gerwalk, to battroid and back to fighter as a movie is the day I will be writing big hollywood movie scripts and trying to get them all to be movies.....wow Macross.......Macross.......Macross.......Macross......Robotech...oops how'd that get there? *tosses it*

I know I'm a little late in saying this, but that is some excellent looking stuff there MG.  You're reaching desktop background levels here.  Any chance we could see your model in the SUndowners color scheme I made?  ::edit:: Just realized the thread I posted it on is gone.  Here's the latest version (with inner fin detail to boot).  PM me if you need a higher resolution version.

Ha! Yes... no problem. I did not touch the model lately because I had to go to the most dreaded part (for me): completing the pannelling and final surfacing (spec & diffuse maps). But doing some "skin" is fun! Tell me, the white/gray of my current model is OK for the Sundowners? If so, I should only modify the tail and some of the stencils layers. The way I have my photoshop file organized, it would be easy to do the sundowners scheme, so... give me a couple of days.

INice work  are you guys planing on doing other valkyries?

Tristan, I enjoyed a lot doing this valk, so I am considering to model the VF-11. But I am seriously commited to finish (really FINISH) the VF-4 first!!! <_<, yes!