CG VF-4

mighty gorgon

Hi, I'm new to MW forums. I've started doing a CG VF-4 (fighter only), as it seems the easiest Valk. I just finished the overall shape, and before going deeper in the detailing I wanted some comments. I am not completely convinced yet. I haven't found many references (After "mining" MW by and large), and most of them have some contradictions. I've used the Musayisa drawings, the only set that I've found complete for the 3 views, and in a decent resolution. I've also found that references in wing span do not match the length, so I used the length to scale the model.

Atteched are the first renders (3 views) and a couple of perspective view. Please, any comment and especially references are greatly welcome!

Sorry folks, I've been on holidays last week. Just came back and started working on the bird again.

Thnx all for the encouragment.

Lightning 06 said:  i hate to be a stickler about this, but the VF-4 has 4 engines, not just 2. there's 2 engines on top of the other two in your render

You're right. I added them at an early stage of the mesh but, as you can see in the attached image, they did not look too good so I scrapped them. These engines will be back as soon as I get a decent tail boom.

Vinnie said: What's more impressive is that you're doing it with Lightwave. I could not figure out that program for the life of me. If you want some perspective shots of my 3D VF-4 to help out with detail, let me know. 

Ha! ha! yes... Lightwave is intimidating at first. I tried it a couple of times without any success (I could not go much farther that a pen), until I got an excellent tutorial on WW2 planes and then LW started looking great. Check a couple of models at my homepage: http://www.geocities.com/mighty_gorgon2003/lw.htm

And Vinnie, yes, I would like to see some perspective shot, especially of the tail boom. I am now working with and I cannot get the correct shape... I'll appreciate ANY help.

Regds & thnx

Gorgon (not Gordon)

post-5-1069087280_thumb.jpg

No joke, the tail boom and the nosecone were the items that took me the longest.

Here's a couple shots of my WIP action with focus on the tailboom to let you see the design route I took. For me the best reference was the rear angle shot of the Battroid mode in the SKDW.

VF4_18Nov03_01.jpg

VF4_18Nov03_02.jpg

VF4_18Nov03_03.jpg

VF4_18Nov03_04.jpg

And a couple of a the WIP Battroid mode.

VF4_18Nov03_05.jpg

VF4_18Nov03_06.jpg

VF4_18Nov03_07.jpg

I kind of took from everything and used the official Nue top and side schematic shots for general proportions (the front one was worthless except to add perspective). It's not there yet, but I'm workin'.