1:48 Hasegawa YF-19

tetsujin

• 3 weeks later...
Prototype of the 1/48 kit at Shizuoka...

So it has moveable wings and exhaust...

It comes with rivet holes and a lot of fantasy pannel lines. Moe~~~ ^_^ . Wanna skip this one too?

BTW the 1/72 kit also has movable nozzles.

Edited by TSP

HLJ's review of Hasegawa's new releases from the Shizuoka Hobby Show. Notice the comment about the 1/48 YF-19. "Launching Hasegawa's new 1/48 Macross series will be this YF-19!" Not sure if Scott from HLJ got some insider information but the word "series" typically implies more than 1. I'm guessing that Hasegawa will eventually scale up all of their 1/72 Macross stuff to 1/48. Probably more of a way to thumb their noses at Bandai with the side benefit of raking in the cash.

http://www.hlj.com/shs09hsghigh.html

HLJ's review of Hasegawa's new releases from the Shizuoka Hobby Show. Notice the comment about the 1/48 YF-19. "Launching Hasegawa's new 1/48 Macross series will be this YF-19!" Not sure if Scott from HLJ got some insider information but the word "series" typically implies more than 1. I'm guessing that Hasegawa will eventually scale up all of their 1/72 Macross stuff to 1/48. Probably more of a way to thumb their noses at Bandai with the side benefit of raking in the cash.

more pics from the same show ^_^

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10088438

Next up, 1/48 YF-21? :p

I want!

Just wondering, and i haven't read the whole thread so if this has been said then sorry, but will the wings be able to swing on this model like the VF-0/1's? cause that would be great to have it with the wings back like when it was being flogged through the city but Isamu in macross plus.

I want!

Just wondering, and i haven't read the whole thread so if this has been said then sorry, but will the wings be able to swing on this model like the VF-0/1's? cause that would be great to have it with the wings back like when it was being flogged through the city but Isamu in macross plus.

think so, there is a pix

I totally agree. Hasegawa isn't going to just stop at the YF-19. They'll put this one out to test the waters, if it's a success, expect to see everything else scaled up including the VF-1.....people will buy it. I know I will. I remember when I first heard about the 1/48 scale Tanmen VF-1S and how expensive it was......$600 USD for an original? Then Yamato's 1/48 came out, almost as much detail but for way cheaper.

Just hope Bandai, Hasegawa and Yamato get into a bigger pissing contest and scale up to 1/32 eventually.

Edited by peter

I totally agree. Hasegawa isn't going to just stop at the YF-19. They'll put this one out to test the waters, if it's a success, expect to see everything else scaled up including the VF-1.....people will buy it. I know I will. I remember when I first heard about the 1/48 scale Tanmen VF-1S and how expensive it was......$600 USD for an original? Then Yamato's 1/48 came out, almost as much detail but for way cheaper.

Just hope Bandai, Hasegawa and Yamato get into a bigger pissing contest and scale up to 1/32 eventually.

Bigger is better, you want something that you can walk around it and go "wow". ideal size would be like the size of the table top. :lol:

Bigger is better, you want something that you can walk around it and go "wow". ideal size would be like the size of the table top. :lol:

Yeah... just remember the bigger it is, the more detail you have to put into it to make it decent! Generally, with each doubling of scale, you need to put four times as much detailing to make the Wow factor come back. All the flat surfaces become bigger and more bare... becareful what you wish for :unsure:

I hope they don't attempt to scale up the Battroid kits, that would suck. Big hollow pieces of plastic. I'll pick non-VF-1 versions of valks, but no VF-1's, I think yamatos look nice enough. Too bad hasegawa won't make the misc. Mecha....like 1/48 regult, 1/48 Glaug, 1/48 Destroids, or the mother of all kits, a 1/48 monster.

Yup and one of them drops the bomb as say to hell with it lets go 1/24.

I'd like a 1/48 Batroid providing they put all the extra details into it. More detail than the Yamie or it wouldnt be worth it, removable pannels internal detail etc, even the little repair hands seen on Roys in Booby trap.

Yeah... just remember the bigger it is, the more detail you have to put into it to make it decent! Generally, with each doubling of scale, you need to put four times as much detailing to make the Wow factor come back. All the flat surfaces become bigger and more bare... becareful what you wish for :unsure:

Call it a sculpture, you might get away with no details. :lol:

I want!

It is most likely it will be a highly detailed kit with various optional panels and internal details, which is a trademark of larger scale aircraft kits. I'd suspect that moving wings will be the minimum we could expect. B))

I would be happy with a 1/60 monster kit. That might be more doable than a 1/60 resin or toy monster.

I want the Yammie 1/100 scale VB-6 to go with my VF-100 series Messiahs... <_<

Edited by Zinjo

• 2 weeks later...

Knowing that Hasegawa has the original Macross and DYRL license, what they should really come out with is a 1/48 Regult!

Now three or four 1/48 regults and a glass top will do a fine coffee table ^_^

Knowing that Hasegawa has the original Macross and DYRL license, what they should really come out with is a 1/48 Regult!

Now three or four 1/48 regults and a glass top will do a fine coffee table ^_^

We can only hope, we are way over do for any modern type of Regult. Model or toy!!

It'll never happen in a million years; waaaay too big. The last "bad guy" plastic Macross kits were released back in '83 and there are no signs of that trend being broken anytime soon, as even the Vajra prototypes seem to have fizzled-out. Enemy mechs just aren't a safe bet in their minds

Edited by captain america

But if Hasegawa really wants to keep up with the waves of BanDai Macross Frontier items and only hold license on the older stuff, they must do better!

Hasegawa had their thumbs stuck up where the sun never shines for too long. By releasing so called new kits with just another decal sheet is not enough and many of us are not fooled anymore. Moving up the scale ladder is a good move but perhaps too late as the crave now is Macross Frontier items and not really another VF-1 model kit.

But if Hasegawa really wants to keep up with the waves of BanDai Macross Frontier items and only hold license on the older stuff, they must do better!

Hasegawa had their thumbs stuck up where the sun never shines for too long. By releasing so called new kits with just another decal sheet is not enough and many of us are not fooled anymore. Moving up the scale ladder is a good move but perhaps too late as the crave now is Macross Frontier items and not really another VF-1 model kit.

Let's face it, modeling for the most part as we know it is dead. It used to be that you really work to achieve a great look. Then Bandai came along, and came up with ways to make great looking, high detail kits which with a little more effort through washes/markers/minor paint apps look incredible. Not saying that's a bad thing at all, if it makes for a better kit than great. However, I can't count how many times I've heard people say they don't want to build Hasegawa's because their not variable. This is the future of models, toy meets kit with high detail results, and what's not to love about that? It started with the variable 80's kits, and evolved...and I for one am glad it did.

Hasegawa really needs to get into the 21st century. With less and less interest in "real" kit building (I use the term "real" loosely, see the 1/48 MF valk thread that became a Bandai model kit vs. Standard model kit debate) they HAVE to evolve. This means they have 2 choices IMO, one, take a risk and start making kits that compliment toy lines that there are no toys for in the same scale (Regults, Glaugs, etc.), or the safer bet and one I'd like to see, take the Bandai approach to kit design, but keep they're high detail standards. I have no doubt after building the Reactive armored 0S they could do a great kit. Too bad I don't think we'll see it. I pre-ordered the YF-19, I figure for 50 bucks I'll give it a shot, and if I hate it, oh well. If I'm not blown away though, and it's just a 1/72 version scaled up, I won't be buying another.

Hasegawa did venture in to the Bandai realm of mostly-pre-painted-toy/kit-hybrids with their Virtual-On line of kits (with inferior results IMO). But when it comes to aircraft kits, I think that Hasegawa's marketing policy is more about offering Macross content to their reliable scale modeling clients than catering Macross fans who are not-yet-kitbuilders.

Too bad I don't think we'll see it. I pre-ordered the YF-19, I figure for 50 bucks I'll give it a shot, and if I hate it, oh well. If I'm not blown away though, and it's just a 1/72 version scaled up, I won't be buying another.

I couldn't disagree more, at least with the parts of your post I actually understood. ;p Help me out here; what is it about the idea of a scaled-up 1/72 YF-19 that doesn't cause you to salivate like it does me?

I hope they don't attempt to scale up the Battroid kits, that would suck. Big hollow pieces of plastic. I'll pick non-VF-1 versions of valks, but no VF-1's, I think yamatos look nice enough.

Based on everybody's raving over it I tested that theory by buying an Angel Birds VF1 while they were on sale a couple of months ago. It. Is. Horrible.

It was a given that that paint scheme would be; that's why it was on sale. But I was honestly expecting at least model-like detail and a good cockpit, combined with tolerable "compromise" proportions vis-a-vis the toy format. You do get OK proportions but that's it - clumsy cockpit, bad canopy sculpt, bad canopy thickness/appearance, bad landing gear, squared-off surfaces everywhere, poor surface detail...it's good for an actual child's toy, it's not all that good for an expensive adult collectible. You get a much improved basic sculpt over the ooooold toys, but it's not close to anything we could expect from Hasegawa. Just have a good look at a Tanmen some time.

Too bad hasegawa won't make the misc. Mecha....like 1/48 regult, 1/48 Glaug, 1/48 Destroids, or the mother of all kits, a 1/48 monster.

Now you're talking! Give me some bigarse Destroids over any number of Battroids. And I'll never understand the lack of love for the bad guys. A 1/48 Monster would just about fill a 1M3 space, however, and isn't a conceivable project for any company, ever. Dammit.

Edited by Kremmen