Wonderfest 2009

I've seen discussions in the past about Wonderfest, I'm shying away from the big cons this year and thoughts I'd check this one out. Anyone else going this year?

I don't really know what to expect, this seems to be a much more focussed con than the ones I have gone to over the past few decades, like Dragon Con, which is awesome but it is just total chaos.

Anyone got any tidbits of advice to share?

My vacation is blocked off and my room is booked, I just received my 2 of my Bandai Frontier kits in the mail this week too :) Hooray!

I'm going again this year. If you love scifi, anime, or monster modeling this is the place to go. Give yourself a spending budget and stick to it. It gets really hard at times to resist the pull of "I want that model!" Also, put your "on screen name" on your name badge. People will recognize you then.

Are you going to bring any models to WF?

I'm going again this year. If you love scifi, anime, or monster modeling this is the place to go. Give yourself a spending budget and stick to it. It gets really hard at times to resist the pull of "I want that model!" Also, put your "on screen name" on your name badge. People will recognize you then.

Are you going to bring any models to WF?

I intend to read up on the display / contest end of things, I have never been to the con, most of the ones i have been to in recent yeas have had no real model contests so i don't have any idead what the process or competitions look like. I was really just planning to be a spectator this year and scope it out. I have finished a couple Moscato kits this year though so I might change my mind.

And it's in Loisville kentucky may 16 and 17, here's a link to their site :)

http://www.wonderfest.com/flyer.html

Edited by Ghadrack

• 3 weeks later...

Plan your purchases. Get the handbook and see what convention limited stuff you'd wanna get and line up for them. And get in line early to enter Big Sight. I lined up over night (crazy, hot, smelly experience) and it wasn't pretty....if you're not as fanatical, try to get onto the 1st train in the morning. If you don't care about those limited ed stuff either, just screw it and come in the afternoon. At least there won't be a queue entering the venue.

Wonfes is huge, when i went all 3 halls were open. The industry hall, the garage kit hall, and the seller's hall. You might find some bargains at the seller's hall. The garage kits hall is huge and will take half a day to look through if you like garage kits. The industry hall is where the big players like Kotobukiya, Yamato, Bandai etc will setup their booths showcasing latest products or selling convention exclusives. The queues to get exclusives can be pretty long though so be prepared to do alot of queueing up if you want to get multiple items. Its not nearly as chaotic as Comifest (which i swear i will never attend) so I think you'll be fine if you're just a casual visitor.

EDIT: Now i feel stupid.....this is an american con, not the Japanese one. =.=;;

Edited by wolfx

There's a big possibility that I'll be attending considering that its after the animecon here in chicago. So might drive down there and figure out where i should be staying if its worth the stay. Most conventions that i've attended made me only want to stay for a day and Louisville isn't that far, just a few hours of driving. Not sure yet, but whats going to be there exactly? I'm confused now that wolfx posted something, but i think he was referring to the JPNese one and not the U.S. version. Anyone attended this one before last year that can share some insights and some pictures perhaps?

Not sure yet, but whats going to be there exactly? I'm confused now that wolfx posted something, but i think he was referring to the JPNese one and not the U.S. version. Anyone attended this one before last year that can share some insights and some pictures perhaps?

I don't want to speak out of turn because i've never been before, this will be my first time, but everything I've read leads me to believe that this is a con aimed at a little older and more specific crowd than your general sci-fi comic book conventions. It's supposed to be Science Fiction Model focussed, less about actors and more about model prop builders and behind the scenes people. It's going to be a enw experience, I'm looking forward to it.

I think Klywell and HWR MkII have been there before and can speak to their expereinces with with what it's like.

Ghadrack is right about WF. This is my 3rd time going and I have enjoy the other two. They also have "how to forums" on casting, painting, general model making. Everything that you might what to learn.

I have met both Valkyrie and HWR MKII at WF and a few others from Starshipmodeler. I still have not met Klywell.

It's worth mentioning that Gundamhead's 1/72 VF-1 launch arm and Cobywan's 1/72 Lancer II resin kits will finally be available once again, making their return debut at Wonderfest.

HWR MKII's Metal Gear Rex resin kit should also be making its debut there at well. Look for em at the Starship Modeler table.

• 2 weeks later...