Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.5

azrael

If somebody was wondering if the crotch lock could be ordered from HLJ and replaced, here's the reply:

Thank you for your business with HobbyLink Japan.

Bandai has contacted us about your parts order.

Unfortunately, waist lock parts from your parts order is not available.

They have no schedule to re-produce it in the near future.

We are sorry we cannot help you get it.

:(

Seems Bandai is getting a lot of attention with their VF-25, and also a lot of bitchin' concern...well that's another durability myth blown to pieces! (*Yamato says "welcome to the club")

(EDIT: I should refrain from using harsh vocabulary)

Edited by regult

I dont think that Bandai's current record even puts them close to Yamato yet. So let's not over exaggerate.

What does annoy me is that they'd cheapen out on the screw quality of all things. You'd think it'd be kind of an important piece to a $120-150 toy. And the screw is a microscopic fraction of that measured in the pennies.

Unfortunately, it's also one of the things that you wouldn't even think about being a problem, instead being one of those "oh, and grab a bin of the 3x4mm's would you?" type pieces that you'd expect to be fine and may work just fine on prototypes up until it gets jammed into a piece of steel in production. Fortunately it's the screw that's breaking and not the actual shoulder components.

A modified hip lock would be rather nice though as it's really the only frowning point I have on the DXs. I may pick apart my alto this weekend and look into modifications since it's an easily accessed and removed piece.

A modified hip lock would be rather nice though as it's really the only frowning point I have on the DXs. I may pick apart my alto this weekend and look into modifications since it's an easily accessed and removed piece.

Same here. I 'fixed' it with nail polish but now that's wearing down and the prospect of having to put more on every month or so is a bummer. Let us know if you figure anything out when you take it apart. I've had mine apart a couple of times now but my non-mechanically-inclined brain couldn't come up with a solution.

Ok so I just got my first VF-25G last night and the crotch/hip lock tab will not hold.

Now if I understand right I just use fingernail polish one the tab and NOT the slot right?

Ok so I just got my first VF-25G last night and the crotch/hip lock tab will not hold.

Now if I understand right I just use fingernail polish one the tab and NOT the slot right?

I put clear nail polish on just the T-shaped tab, all sides, but some people have applied it to the slot instead.

If you try it make sure to start with just one coat and let it dry completely before pegging the pieces together.

If the hold still isn't satisfactory try another coat.

Granted, not a huge pile up of broken DX VF-25's yet, but that's the essence of complaining...we all want something that does not break out of the box, and being in the upper levels of valk pricing, that expectations grows high too. I don't want to get into Bandai vs. Yamato really, but I have to say there is also a lot of complaining about the V 2.0 1/60 VF-1 and mines are ok, and I haven't heard of a pile of broken shoulders as was the case with the VF-0

I put clear nail polish on just the T-shaped tab, all sides, but some people have applied it to the slot instead.

If you try it make sure to start with just one coat and let it dry completely before pegging the pieces together.

Thanks for the tip! I have the same problem. I was pondering using some pliers to pinch the clips inside the slot closer together so it latchs onto the T-shaped tab better... but i'm worried i'd just break off the clips... guess i'll have to see how well the nail polish thing holds for me

The crotch peg on mine clicks and holds pretty good. But ever since I got the Fast Pack, the extra weight start to wear it out more and disengaged more frequently. So I add some thin layer of super glue to the T-shape peg (think its safer on the peg, than the slot, in case the glue mess up the tiny hook on the slot and doesn't catch as well later). It helps, but gets wear off pretty easy after a few attachments.

I find using the display stand for battroid mode helps to ease the wear a lot as it support the wieght dramatically, as long as you hip ball joint is tight enough to not have the legs dangle around. Which you can also fix by add some food/plastic wrap around the balljoint to add more friction.

I think the crotch peg problem has gotten to the point now where Bandai really needs to address it and fix the mechanism on future runs. If it were simply a round peg that folded out and fit into a round hole I think it would be better.

I think the crotch peg problem has gotten to the point now where Bandai really needs to address it and fix the mechanism on future runs. If it were simply a round peg that folded out and fit into a round hole I think it would be better.

Or make the peg and slot much bigger and deeper. Like how those fold out pegs connecting the feet or legs of SOC Voltes, Ideon, or something similar. Its too tiney and prone to wear as is, just like the tiny hooks on the Fast Pack hip armor. Way too small and shallow...

I just got my RVF-25 DX in today and its the most sturdy built valk I have ever owned... It seems like the newer molds are getting better every month.

My VF-25G has loose fitting and floppy armor parts while the RVF I have seems more well built and is able to hold the armor pieces in place even with some movement. The joint's on my RVF-25 are also a lot tighter than ne of the other dx valks I have.

So far I haven't had a problem with the locking peg disengaging when transforming the toy... Everything fits pretty snug.

Just picked up the new hobby mags (June issues of Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby). Not much new news about the DXs.

No new pics of the Macross Quarter or Ex-Gear and no announcements of any new DX. I was hoping for news of a DX VF-171 or VF-27. :(

There are some quite large and clear photos of the Armored Ozma, but they still show the clear unpainted armor, so nothing really new there.

There are some new photos of the actual painted accessory sets (Galia IV Fold Booster & Speakers and Ghost+weapons set) and they look nice, but that's all.

Graham

Just picked up the new hobby mags (June issues of Hobby Japan and Dengeki Hobby). Not much new news about the DXs.

No new pics of the Macross Quarter or Ex-Gear and no announcements of any new DX. I was hoping for news of a DX VF-171 or VF-27. :(

There are some quite large and clear photos of the Armored Ozma, but they still show the clear unpainted armor, so nothing really new there.

There are some new photos of the actual painted accessory sets (Galia IV Fold Booster & Speakers and Ghost+weapons set) and they look nice, but that's all.

Graham

Any chance you could post a scan of the accessory sets ? I'd love to see them in color.

You know if it's just the screw heads poping off I wonder if they are over tightening the screws sometimes in the factory. If they grade of the screw is low enough that is probably what is happening. The simple fix would probably be to use a higher grade screw but I know this has probably been mentioned here before.

Now if I could just find somewhere selling the VF-25 and a VF-22 at the same time I know what I am going to buy for my birthday.....

Graham

Graham, is there any mention when the Ghost + weapons set are coming out or how much they might cost?

Granted, not a huge pile up of broken DX VF-25's yet, but that's the essence of complaining...we all want something that does not break out of the box, and being in the upper levels of valk pricing, that expectations grows high too. I don't want to get into Bandai vs. Yamato really, but I have to say there is also a lot of complaining about the V 2.0 1/60 VF-1 and mines are ok, and I haven't heard of a pile of broken shoulders as was the case with the VF-0

You mention bitchin' and complaining...and that our expectations are too high. 'm not sure so that this is an accurate description of what SOME of us are doing/saying. I don't know about you but I don't expect anything to be broken out of the box. Not a 4 dollar transformer, not a microwave, and well... not even a 150.00 toy/model. But OK whatever if you want to call us whiners that's up to you.

If you haven't heard of a pile of broken V2 shoulders then you haven't been listening. The first edition Focker they released has an epic failure rate... although not quite as epic as their 50/50 VF-0 toys. The Bandai DX 25 is still a long ways from hitting double digits in failures and when it "breaks' it's a screw that is broken... not a crucial part of molded plastic or something like that. People can't help it if their toys are broken from the get go, or break immediately thereafter, but there is certainly a proclivity toward panic in all toy forums.

Ech... I really wish they didnt have to use over wing clips.

Well, at least they don't clip on to the rear of the wing like back in the 80's with the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie. Bandai is moving forward in toy engineering and development and clipping missles onto the front. ;)

If you haven't heard of a pile of broken V2 shoulders then you haven't been listening. The first edition Focker they released has an epic failure rate... although not quite as epic as their 50/50 VF-0 toys. The Bandai DX 25 is still a long ways from hitting double digits in failures and when it "breaks' it's a screw that is broken... not a crucial part of molded plastic or something like that. People can't help it if their toys are broken from the get go, or break immediately thereafter, but there is certainly a proclivity toward panic in all toy forums.

Is this comment directed towards me? In the event that is.. of course I've heard of the problems with the V2. What does that have to do with what I said? In regards to your comment about panic. Well personally, I ain't panicking. I've bought the 25G and still have the Armored S on pre-order. So all I was saying is that mine broke and was asking the community about what action to take next. Fix it ? (which is obviously easy) or talk with HLJ to possibly get the retooled version I was expecting.

Okay, just found something flame-worthy on the RVF-25:

Install armour & fastpacks in fighter mode. Now try extending the radome. Then try to rotate it.

Yes. :(

It hits the wing boosters and therefore can't rotate properly :angry: :angry: :angry:

Also, either I'm doing something wrong or the RVF is too back-heavy in fighter mode for the stand. Mine keeps slipping off it backwards all the time... :(

I've tried looking at some of my other bandai screws to replace the broken shoulder screw on my Alto but have had no luck. Can someone tell me what size/type of scew that is so I can all around to find a suitable replacement? Thanks.

I've tried looking at some of my other bandai screws to replace the broken shoulder screw on my Alto but have had no luck. Can someone tell me what size/type of scew that is so I can all around to find a suitable replacement? Thanks.

If you have an old Bandai 1/55 VF-17, the screw on the back of its head will fit the 25's shoulder perfectly. That's the screw I've used on my Alto.

Or you can always unscrew the other shoulder and record the dimensions off that one.

Perhaps CD-ROM screws may work? Those little PC screws to connect hardware parts. They seem to be small enough, not 100% sure though.

If you have an old Bandai 1/55 VF-17, the screw on the back of its head will fit the 25's shoulder perfectly. That's the screw I've used on my Alto.

Or you can always unscrew the other shoulder and record the dimensions off that one.

Perhaps CD-ROM screws may work? Those little PC screws to connect hardware parts. They seem to be small enough, not 100% sure though.

You DA MAN Omega! I just happen to have VF-17 and the screw fit perfectly. Thanks Alot!