Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

I really hate the green on the Luca so I'm planning to paint it differently but atm I have no idea what scheme to go with. I'm trying to keep it different to the rest of the other kits as much as possible and already have a black and gold planned for another vf so any ideas would rock.

Vifam and SVF-Gerwalk, you are truly life saviors. Thank you so much.

As for Ozmas color guide, will these do?

post-9322-1240849645_thumb.jpg

I. Light Gray = White (60%) + Neutral Gray (40%) + Clear Blue (small amt.)

II. Ozma's Flight Suit = Black (100%)

III. Dark Gray = Neutral Gray (80%) + White (20%) + Clear Blue (small amt.)

IV. Frame Blue Gray = Neutral Gray (95%) + Midnight Blue (5%)

V. Yellow = Yellow (70%) + Dark Earth (30%)

VI. Dark Blue = Indigo Blue (60%) + Tire Black (40%)

post-9322-1240849823_thumb.jpg

I. Cream Yellow = White (60%) + Cream Yellow (40%)

II. Gun Pod Brown Gray = Red Brown (80%) + Neutral Gray (15%) + Tire Black (5%)

III. Gun Pod Purple = Violet (85%) + Purple (10%) + Dark Blue (5%)

IV. Antenna Blue Gray = Midnight Blue (90%) + Indigo Blue (10%)

V. Gray for Cockpit and Knife = Neutral Gray (100%)

VI. Gun Pod Red = Shine Red (60%) + Orange (40%) + White (small amt.)

post-9322-1240849900_thumb.jpg

I. Cockpit Blue Gray = RLM Gray 75 (90%) + Violet (10%)

II. Knife Light Gray = Gull Gray (100%)

III. Canopy, Ozma's Visor Clear Purple = Clear Blue (25%) + Clear Red (20%) + Clear (55%)

IV. Ozma White = White (95%) + Neutral Gray (5%)

V. Knife, Ozma Gray = Dark Gray (100%)

VI. Ozma Brown Yellow = Yellow (80%) + Light Brown (20%)

post-9322-1240850048_thumb.jpg

I. Ozma's Helmet = RLM 75 Gray (100%)

II. Ozma SMS Mark Red = Shine Red (100%)

III. Ozma SMS Mark Yellow = Yellow (100%)

Hope this helps.

And Areaseven joins the ranks of life saviors in this site. :lol:

Thanks to all of you.

P.S: Not wanting to abuse your good will (but doin' it, anyway :rolleyes: ) can any of you guys post translations for the remaining kits (Michel, Luca and SPs)?

Well - as usual I'm late to the party - but I AM drinking:

331k1e1.jpg

Work in Progress :)

Very impressive. Almost scary. Thank goodness I've built a couple MG Gundam kits and some other Bandai stuff before hand...otherwise it would be overwhelming - but this - this is fun :)

Pete

btw, I remember that someone is looking for pics of Ranka packs for Michel, I have this :

d0af.th.jpg

Wow, that Ranka-pac really looks gosu! I'd love one... Is this commercially available? Or is this a good one-off?

I. Light Gray = White (60%) + Neutral Gray (40%) + Clear Blue (small amt.)

II. Ozma's Flight Suit = Black (100%)

III. Dark Gray = Neutral Gray (80%) + White (20%) + Clear Blue (small amt.)

IV. Frame Blue Gray = Neutral Gray (95%) + Midnight Blue (5%)

V. Yellow = Yellow (70%) + Dark Earth (30%)

VI. Dark Blue = Indigo Blue (60%) + Tire Black (40%)

I. Cream Yellow = White (60%) + Cream Yellow (40%)

II. Gun Pod Brown Gray = Red Brown (80%) + Neutral Gray (15%) + Tire Black (5%)

III. Gun Pod Purple = Violet (85%) + Purple (10%) + Dark Blue (5%)

IV. Antenna Blue Gray = Midnight Blue (90%) + Indigo Blue (10%)

V. Gray for Cockpit and Knife = Neutral Gray (100%)

VI. Gun Pod Red = Shine Red (60%) + Orange (40%) + White (small amt.)

I. Cockpit Blue Gray = RLM Gray 75 (90%) + Violet (10%)

II. Knife Light Gray = Gull Gray (100%)

III. Canopy, Ozma's Visor Clear Purple = Clear Blue (25%) + Clear Red (20%) + Clear (55%)

IV. Ozma White = White (95%) + Neutral Gray (5%)

V. Knife, Ozma Gray = Dark Gray (100%)

VI. Ozma Brown Yellow = Yellow (80%) + Light Brown (20%)

I. Ozma's Helmet = RLM 75 Gray (100%)

II. Ozma SMS Mark Red = Shine Red (100%)

III. Ozma SMS Mark Yellow = Yellow (100%)

Hope this helps.

YES!!!

THANK YOU, areaseven!! B))

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Wow, that Ranka-pac really looks gosu! I'd love one... Is this commercially available? Or is this a good one-off?

I believe that was a one off custom. The wings aren't made to accept sound booster add-ons, so it would be a little difficult to mount them.

make sure you cleanly cut out all the parts to get the best fit and best results

Thanks for the cheeriness guys :) As someone in the GundPla thread noted, my model building methodology can be termed as "ghetto" :) I am doing my best here - but I'm lazy and stingy. Anyways - today, I used a permanent black marker to "paint" the cock-pit hatch so it wouldn't be all clear plastic.... doesn't look too bad IMO. It's my first time "painting" or using a marker on a model...

1tspyr.jpg

I'm planning on building two VF-25S models. One of them will be a "regular" Ozma; the other I'm planning on doing with Sheryl Nome decals :) Counter-intuitive? Perhaps? But ultimately I have a feeling that, just like Roy demonstrated what "hug" meant in DYRL by grabbing Minmey, that Ozma would most likely grab Sheryl :) Ranka is his little sister and he wants to protect her, but deep in his heart, he's a Sheryl fan :)

Pete

Thanks for the cheeriness guys :) As someone in the GundPla thread noted, my model building methodology can be termed as "ghetto" :) I am doing my best here - but I'm lazy and stingy. Anyways - today, I used a permanent black marker to "paint" the cock-pit hatch so it wouldn't be all clear plastic.... doesn't look too bad IMO. It's my first time "painting" or using a marker on a model...

1tspyr.jpg

I'm planning on building two VF-25S models. One of them will be a "regular" Ozma; the other I'm planning on doing with Sheryl Nome decals :) Counter-intuitive? Perhaps? But ultimately I have a feeling that, just like Roy demonstrated what "hug" meant in DYRL by grabbing Minmey, that Ozma would most likely grab Sheryl :) Ranka is his little sister and he wants to protect her, but deep in his heart, he's a Sheryl fan :)

Pete

As a model builder i'm like you. But with these model i've been trying a bit harder than with my previous Gundams ( i only have 3 of those, 2 were built a long time ago and, more recently, a 1/144 Gundam Exia.in this one i put a little extra effort like pannel lines coloring some details, etc.) I use mostly gundam markers for the details. I actually painted the cockpit for this one (VF-25F) and it looks good. You should do that to, believe me, even a less detailed paint job will do wonders. Keep up the fight.

Edited by westfall

A small update.

I sanded the VF's nose, after gluing the two parts. This causes a partial loss of the panel line that runs all round the nose but it still looks better than before. I connected the nose to the cockpit section. All thats left here is the canopy, wich i will leave to the very end of the build, and applying the stickers and some mild weathering.

post-9322-1240944300_thumb.jpg post-9322-1240944445_thumb.jpg post-9322-1240944643_thumb.jpg

The missing panel line:

post-9322-1240944787_thumb.jpg

a closer view:

post-9322-1240944892_thumb.jpg

Now i have turned my attention to the arms and legs. I built the inner mechanism without applying the outer parts. I'll apply some dry-brushed gunmetal and some weathering before fitting those, to dirty them. I think it will add a touch of realism. I intend to do this same procedure to the rest of the kit and for the remaining VF-25's. This is still a work in progress, so the pics are only of the still clean sub-assemblies and some outer parts. (I present only pics from the right side parts, since it would be a bit redundant to do it for the left).

post-9322-1240945797_thumb.jpg post-9322-1240946183_thumb.jpg

I've said it before and i'll say it again, this thing is one beautiful and intricate masterpiece of enginering. You only truly apreciate how complex these ladies are once you start assembling all these little parts just to make other parts that will connect with... well you see where i'm going. Kudos, once more, to Bandai and especially to Mr. Kawamori and his staff for creating such an amazing design.

Edited by westfall

DOH!

I noticed (right after topcoating the right leg) that the model is missing some details on the shins just above and below the landing gear doors. Those sections are supposed to be dark grey. They are on the box art and the CG model but, like the "mouth" area, it's incorrectly painted on the sample model in the instruction booklet. I've circled the areas on the attached image. There are no decals for it; it'll have to be painted.

post-5703-1240949669_thumb.jpg

Sigh gotta go back and paint it in, then reseal that part again. :blink:

EDIT: Also wanted to add that the border of the shoulder hexagons appear solid black on the CG model. So I painted them. I like the way it looks, and it also helps hide the imperfections from what I consider to be one of the most awful decals to apply on this kit. :angry:

post-5703-1240950801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

A small update.

I sanded the VF's nose, after gluing the two parts. This causes a partial loss of the panel line that runs all round the nose but it still looks better than before. I connected the nose to the cockpit section. All thats left here is the canopy, wich i will leave to the very end of the build, and applying the stickers and some mild weathering.

post-9322-1240944300_thumb.jpg post-9322-1240944445_thumb.jpg post-9322-1240944643_thumb.jpg

The missing panel line:

post-9322-1240944787_thumb.jpg

a closer view:

post-9322-1240944892_thumb.jpg

Now i have turned my attention to the arms and legs. I built the inner mechanism without applying the outer parts. I'll apply some dry-brushed gunmetal and some weathering before fitting those, to dirty them. I think it will add a touch of realism. I intend to do this same procedure to the rest of the kit and for the remaining VF-25's. This is still a work in progress, so the pics are only of the still clean sub-assemblies and some outer parts. (I present only pics from the right side parts, since it would be a bit redundant to do it for the left).

post-9322-1240945797_thumb.jpg post-9322-1240946183_thumb.jpg

I've said it before and i'll say it again, this thing is one beautiful and intricate masterpiece of enginering. You only truly apreciate how complex these ladies are once you start assembling all these little parts just to make other parts that will connect with... well you see where i'm going. Kudos, once more, to Bandai and especially to Mr. Kawamori and his staff for creating such an amazing design.

You're a better skilled and more patient modeler than I. :lol: I really like the metallic paint and weathering effects. I think I may do that for the rest of the SMS crew... if I can ever finish Alto's... I've learned a bit from it so far and hopefully I can use this experience to make the later ones look better.

Here's my amateurish effort so far. Currently working in the left leg... then after that, just the wings! And backside... and hands... and upper tailfins... :wacko: So many decals are the wrong size/shape. Amazing considering the engineering that went into this model. WTH Bandai??

post-5703-1240952510_thumb.jpg post-5703-1240952561_thumb.jpg post-5703-1240952530_thumb.jpg

Also wanted to note that the underside of the black stripe alongside the canopy is also black. It's painted wrong on the instruction book model (same with the model on the SMS stand package). I've stopped using that thing for reference.

post-5703-1240952640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

Your Luca looks great Honkhet, really clean build.

Thanks also to all you other guys for posting your WIP pictures. There will be lots of things I do differently on my 25G and Luca (when they get here) thanks to you guys. Cheers!

Dag. That's one fine Luca. You even managed to paint the pilot :o ... people amaze me... As to the WIP pics - I love seeing them and reading people's comments because it helps prepare me for what's ahead and gives me ideas to mull over... I guess I need to buy some paint or at least a couple a' markers :)...

Pete

Translation for Super Parts color guide. I'll do Mikhail and Luca later.

SUPER PARTS COLOR GUIDE

1st ROW

PURPLE GRAY COLOR PART OF MAIN BODY

Violet (80%) +

Purple (10%) +

Dark gray (10%)

LIGHT GRAY COLOR PART OF MAIN BODY , CROTCH

White (90%) +

Gull gray (10%)

GRAY COLOR PART OF FRAME

RLM dark gray 74 (100%)

2nd ROW

GOLD COLOR PART OF VERNIERS

Gold (75%) +

Smoke gray (15%) +

Indy blue (10%)

GRAY COLOR PART OF MISSILE POD - COVER UNDERSIDES

Neutral gray (100%)

WHITE COLOR PART OF MISSILE POD - MISSILES

White (95%) +

Gull gray (5%)

RED COLOR PART OF MISSILE POD - MISSILE TIP

Shine red (60%) +

Orange (35%) +

Light brown (5%)

INDIVIDUAL SPECIFIC COLOR GUIDE

3rd ROW

WHITE COLOR PART OF ALTO VERS. CROTCH

White (100%) +

Neutral gray (small amount) +

Clear blue (small amount)

LIGHT GRAY COLOR PART OF ALTO VERS. CROTCH

White (90%) +

Gull gray (10%)

RED COLOR PART OF ALTO VERS. MISSILE POD COVERS

Shine red (60%)

Orange (40%) +

White (small amount)

4th ROW

LIGHT GRAY COLOR PART OF OZMA VERS. CROTCH

White (60%) +

Neutral gray (40%) +

DARK GRAY COLOR PART OF OZMA VERS. CROTCH

Neutral gray (80%) +

White (20%) +

YELLOW COLOR PART OF OZMA VERS. MISSILE POD COVERS

Yellow (70%) +

Dark earth (30%)

LIGHT GREEN COLOR PART OF LUCA VERS. CROTCH

White (85%) +

Daytona green (15%)

5th ROW

GREEN COLOR PART OF LUCA VERS. CROTCH, CHEST MISSILE POD COVERS

White (60%) +

Daytona green (40%)

DARK GREEN COLOR PART OF SHOULDER MISSILE POD COVERS

Daytona green (80%) +

Green (20%)

WHITE COLOR PART OF MIKHAIL VERS. CROTCH

White (100%) +

BLUE COLOR PART OF MIKHAIL VERS. CROTCH, MISSILE POD COVERS

Indy blue (95%) +

Sky blue (5%) +

FOLD COMMUNICATIONS & GUIDANCE SYSTEM COLOR GUIDE

6th ROW

WHITE COLOR PART OF MAIN BODY

White (100%) +

Gull gray (small amount)

RED COLOR PART OF TIP

Clear red (20%) +

Clear orange (10%) +

Clear (70%)

LIGHT GRAY COLOR PART OF MAIN BODY

IJN Gray (95%) +

RLM light blue 65 (5%)

7th ROW

CREAM YELLOW COLOR PART OF MAIN BODY

White (95%) +

Cream yellow (5%)

GRAY COLOR PART OF MAIN BODY

Neutral gray (100%)

DARK GRAY COLOR PART OF MAIN BODY

RLM dark gray 74 (100%)

Edited by Vifam7

It is insanely time consuming isnt it Pete?

What are you using to cut the parts of off the sprues? It seems that you could probably get just a tad closer and or finish off with a blade? Just a thought.

You're a better skilled and more patient modeler than I. :lol: I really like the metallic paint and weathering effects. I think I may do that for the rest of the SMS crew... if I can ever finish Alto's... I've learned a bit from it so far and hopefully I can use this experience to make the later ones look better.

Here's my amateurish effort so far. Currently working in the left leg... then after that, just the wings! And backside... and hands... and upper tailfins... :wacko: So many decals are the wrong size/shape. Amazing considering the engineering that went into this model. WTH Bandai??

post-5703-1240952510_thumb.jpg post-5703-1240952561_thumb.jpg post-5703-1240952530_thumb.jpg

Also wanted to note that the underside of the black stripe alongside the canopy is also black. It's painted wrong on the instruction book model (same with the model on the SMS stand package). I've stopped using that thing for reference.

post-5703-1240952640_thumb.jpg

How did you get that purple tint?

I am starting to develop this idea:

You DON'T need any tools (paint, brushes, pliers, knifes, airbrush, spray cans, NOTHING).

All you need is a friend to professionally built the whole SMS squadron for you, for free! :wub: