Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Hey, Jarrod, when you paint these, do you paint them before or after being assembled. Any time I've tried to paint a transforming model before being assembled, it ends up changing the sizes of critical holes and destorying it's ability to transform.

Can I get away with just doing a coat of Red Primer on the pieces unassembled with the VF-27 and still have a chance that everything is going to fit together?

Well, I totally assemble the kit first, then disasseble it into smaller sub assemblies for painting. Any parts I feel may present a problem with paint, I just don't paint. For example, the smaller hinges in the shoulder assembly, a few joints in the waist area, and I paint the elbows and knees already assembed. That said I've had no problems with any of my 5 VF-25's or the VF-27 after painting.

Hey Jarrod or anyone else who's worked on the VF-27 kit, did you guys notice that the panel lines (apart from the wings) seem a lot more shallow than the VF-25 kits? I'm having a harder time getting a wash to fill in the lines. Of course it could just be that the paint I'm using managed to partially fill in the lines (the high gloss doesn't help)... I can't actually remember what the bare plastic was like. :wacko:

Hey Jarrod or anyone else who's worked on the VF-27 kit, did you guys notice that the panel lines (apart from the wings) seem a lot more shallow than the VF-25 kits? I'm having a harder time getting a wash to fill in the lines. Of course it could just be that the paint I'm using managed to partially fill in the lines (the high gloss doesn't help)... I can't actually remember what the bare plastic was like. :wacko:

I thought the same thing. Figured I must have sprayed the paint on thicker than I thought. Maybe they were really shallow to begin with.

Just an FYI the shoulder markings on the VF-27 are done with one big U-shaped decal that doesn't fit. I found out the hard way and now the right shoulder looks kinda screwed up. I got it to go on better on the left shoulder with enough fidgeting, but the decal is simply too small for the shoulder.

More corner cutting from Bandai!

Yeah, I recommend simply trimming the white parts of the decal and applying them separately and just painting the maroon stripe in. Sadly I don't have the proper paint available to fix it right now; something to do later I guess.

The front "toe" decals that cover the black stripes are too widely spaced. I simply cut them in half and applied them separately.

The purple stripe and green sensor on the thighs are a single large decal. Hard to tell if they're spaced perfectly because of the irregular surface, but cutting them apart would probably make it tons easier to apply.

I wish Bandai would actually include properly sized decals for their own models.

Not that I am dying to buy it, but why can't I see any VF-27 model kit in the shops in Hong Kong?

Gosh, all save the first VF-25F are still completely mint in box!!!! (and I have almost all the normal releases)

Maybe there's too many people like myself and the shops decided "screw them, we won't import sth. that does not sell like hot Gundams".

Edited by regult

Not that I am dying to buy it, but why can't I see any VF-27 model kit in the shops in Hong Kong?

Gosh, all save the first VF-25F are still completely mint in box!!!! (and I have almost all the normal releases)

Maybe there's too many people like myself and the shops decided "screw them, we won't import sth. that does not sell like hot Gundams".

I've seen it in the model shop on Wanchai Road, the one next to the Charter House hotel. They had several.

Graham

Saw it in Mong Kok yesterday selling 3xx

No one's posted these yet?

4304717305_57b26deb71.jpg

4304717359_ab1ab4d261.jpg

4305459966_d828c702cb.jpg

Saw the actual box and on the side, there is a drawing of the character piloting the VF, that would be Grace O'Connor of course, wearing the flightsuit, but unfortunately, she's got no hopes and dreams nor nightmares and despairs.

My non-canon VF-27. :mellow:

After the herculean effort of the Armored VF-25S, I decided to take it easy and just lazily stick this one together. Finished in one month instead of four. Took a lot of shortcuts and cut a lot of corners. The pics with the flash more accurately show how the red appears in person. I figured dark red is more intimidating than bright lavender...

Model doesn't have enough range of motion to replicate the super dynamic poses seen in the anime. :angry:

post-5703-1265784300_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784307_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784313_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784320_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784328_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784335_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784407_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784414_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784423_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784428_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784435_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1265784441_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lolicon

Oh, I really like that red! What color is it?

It's Tamiya mica red. I didn't even know it was metallic till after I tested it; I thought it was just dark red. Got lucky. ^_^

Hey I have you to thank for this, for pointing out the glaring inaccuracies on the face and showing that a gloss finish actually looks nice on Brera's unit, seeing as how I'm having a severe shortage of semi-gloss coat atm.

It's Tamiya mica red. I didn't even know it was metallic till after I tested it; I thought it was just dark red. Got lucky. ^_^

Hey I have you to thank for this, for pointing out the glaring inaccuracies on the face and showing that a gloss finish actually looks nice on Brera's unit, seeing as how I'm having a severe shortage of semi-gloss coat atm.

Excellent work!

What kind of shortcuts did you take?

I'm always looking for shortcuts when building models. :)

I noticed you painted the head accurately. And dammit, I want to paint mine that red now! I'm such a sucker for metallics and that looks REALLY good on the 27. Oh well....

Excellent work!

What kind of shortcuts did you take?

I'm always looking for shortcuts when building models. :)

Off the top of my head...

Most of the light pink parts are unpainted. :unsure:

The face consists of one big clear green piece that you have to paint across the middle. I lack that psychotic level of skill, so I just painted the foil sticker instead. It's sealed in so no worries about it peeling off.

The jaw area has no real guidelines with which to follow; you just kinda have to follow the curvature when painting. I tried masking it but brush painting gets under the tape anyway. So I just gently scraped off excess using a toothpick till I got the look I wanted. Yay acrylics!

Similar principle was used on the crystals at the ends of the rifle barrel. Filling in panel recesses is a great way to cover up painting mistakes! :lol:

Scope lens was painted using a Gundam marker.

The temples are trimmed decals, though I wish I had just painted it because they were damaged during assembly. :angry:

Hi I have a question I just finished building an ozma vf-25s and when transforming it to battroid mode, I broke the tab that holds the hip into place ( see picture ) and now the body keeps on falling backwards in battroid, is there any fix to this or do I need to buy a new kit? thank you!

1003370r.th.jpg

Edited by schnellsie

You're out of luck. Nothing can really replace that part so you might consider permanently making it into fighter / gerwalk :(

These models aren't really meant to be transformed a whole lot as the joints will get way too loose and the thing is very, very fragile

Hi I have a question I just finished building an ozma vf-25s and when transforming it to battroid mode, I broke the tab that holds the hip into place ( see picture ) and now the body keeps on falling backwards in battroid, is there any fix to this or do I need to buy a new kit? thank you!

1003370r.th.jpg

Saw the actual box and on the side, there is a drawing of the character piloting the VF, that would be Grace O'Connor of course, wearing the flightsuit, but unfortunately, she's got no hopes and dreams nor nightmares and despairs.

We have new evidence in this most important matter:

post-1187-1265910215_thumb.jpg