Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

I was just coming to this thread to ask---could someone compare those figs to the one in Brera's? I've never seen a good pic of the ones in the Brera kit.

They look like generic SMS pilots with rounded helmets. Ranka looks like she's been hitting the gym a lot.

The DX pilot figures look 100x better.

post-5703-1261941605_thumb.jpg

sorry for the shameless self promotion, but I posted a translated vf-27 manual a few days ago. Just incase anybody will find it useful during their build.

I most certainly will. Thanks for your efforts! Some good reading there on a lot of different kits, too.

my other VF25 completed models~

RVF25:

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/ba2784/article?mid=2366

-Snipped RVF image-

VF25G:

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/ba2784/article?mid=2579

-Snipped VF-25G image-

Wow! That is an awesome build. For anyone who hasn't checked out the blog, there's a lot of very nice pics of this 25G over there. Foot thrusters!

Very nicely done. Any tips on painting those micro missles?

Edited by mickyg

Some pics of my straight build!

Will add decals, panel lining, later :-)

The fighter mode holds together incredibly well! The new tabs are really effective.

The battroid mode is a little flimsy, but still allows some nice poses.

The gerwalk mode... had to fiddle a little to find out a way to make the model stand on its own in gerwalk.

Some pieces keep fallin off (nose gear doors, nose cone for example :-P and the head antenna needs some glueing!)

post-2300-1262490307_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490315_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490322_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490330_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490337_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490346_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490357_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490367_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490376_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490386_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490394_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490417_thumb.jpg

post-2300-1262490426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skypoet

Oooops.... I hope I didn't kill the thread :p

Any news of the VF171 1/72 model?

My VF-27y (gamma) arrived today! First impressions are good but that cockpit choice has been bugging me. I don't understand why there are two. And translating the build that's been linked to by Regult, it's no clearer. The box pics show what I think is a painted transparent green cockpit, as the green is way too transparenty (yeah, I just invented a new word ;)). So they've included a decal for the front, but I don't see one for the back of the cockpit. If you use the body coloured (non-transparent) one, it's not an issue, except that the green doesn't look as cool and bright. What to do?

EDIT:

Why is it my posts always require editing to make sense? I swear when I write them, they make perfect sense to me but when I submit them, it's another matter... :wacko:

To translate: In order to use the green cockpit, which gives you cooler looking (IMO) greens, you've got to paint it. You can't use the decal, because the green is already printed. So I guess that means the one on the box was painted. No decal. So I've answered my own question!

I still want to know why they give you the choice though. The Japanese build article mentions something about energy converting armour, so I wonder if that's something mentioned in the movie (or demonstrated).

Edited by mickyg

I assume that the model has a hard time standing on its own legs in Gerwalk mode WITH KNEES FLEXED FORWARD so you decided to leave them straight for the photo shooting?

Yes, that's partly the reason why I left the legs straight! The model stands better in gerwalk mode with its legs straight! :-)

But the gerwalk mode is also more flexible when the legs are positioned the way they are in the pictures: you can give them more spread, hence, the gerwalk mode has more stability this way. And, visually speaking, I lie it better that way :-)

Oh, and one "thumbs up": the VF25 was unable to stand on one leg, the VF27 is able to do so. Because the VF-27 has two "rear toes". Hey, I'm inventing new words too :-)

So, any news of the VF171?

I really like the VF27, issues are really minor and can certainly be fixed with minimal tools and supplies...

So I can't wait for the VF-171!

Edited by Skypoet

You could cut out the green part from the cockpit decal and use it on the transparent canopy.

Dalong has his review of the 27 up:

http://www.dalong.net/review/etc/mf10/mf10_p.htm

Here's good photo of the crew:

http://www.dalong.net/review/etc/mf10/p/mf10_126.jpg

Thanks for the links! :-)

They make me feel like applying the decals, definitely!... :-)

Finished my VF-27 the other day, fully painted and decaled. The main color is fully painted, the lavender is half paint, half decals, and the darker maroon is decals with small painted details and touchups. I gave this one a gloss coat, just seemed more appropriate somehow.

There's three different metallics used, the dark, purple tinted grey used for the main mechanics, the blue gunmetal used for the feet, thrusters and gun, and finally the lighter gunmetal used for the gun and thruster rings.

I used the clear green canopy, painted the rear half, and used decals for the rest, with the green parts cut out.

Oh, and just like Alto's VF-25, Bandai got the head coloring off in the booklet and paint guide. I've painted mine like the animation model, with more lavender on the chin, and with the tops of "vents" on the sides of the head painted in the main body color.

Anyway, on with the pics:

DSC02446-1.jpg

DSC02447-1.jpg

DSC02448-1.jpg

DSC02449.jpg

DSC02450.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

DSC02453.jpg

DSC02454.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

More:

EDIT Forgot to mention! The first 4 pics show the Battroid with the transformation-friendly smaller chest panel, and without the add-on neck piece. The rest of the pics show the larger panel and neck piece added

DSC02458-1.jpg

DSC02459-1.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02461.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02463-1.jpg

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02466-1.jpg

DSC02467.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

Edited by Jarrod

Looks fantastic Jarrod! A real inspiration to get mine done (just gotta finish my 25G first!).

You've answered my question about the canopy - I love the clear green poking through and can't imagine doing it any other way. Any tips? It looks like it'll be pretty tedious. Also, your colour matching looks great - did you follow the recommended guide on the box?

Looks fantastic Jarrod! A real inspiration to get mine done (just gotta finish my 25G first!).

You've answered my question about the canopy - I love the clear green poking through and can't imagine doing it any other way. Any tips? It looks like it'll be pretty tedious. Also, your colour matching looks great - did you follow the recommended guide on the box?

Yeah, the canopy was a bit tedious. I painted the body color on it first, after masking off the rest first of course. Then I very carefully cut the green bits out of the decals with a very sharp xacto blade. The decals weren't a perfect fit, so there was some paint touchups.

I didn't follow the paint guide at all...I use only Model Master or Tamiya acrylics, both brands which don't really have the same color lineup that Bandai uses (I think their colors are Gunze Sangyo Mr Color?) However for the main body color I did start with actual Mr Color Wine Red that the instructions call for (the hobby shop I shop has a very dwindling supply of Mr color), and mixed it with some MM Napoleonic Purple, a bit of white, and some Kandy Scarlett to get the color I wanted. For the Lavender I started with Napoleonic Purple, added some white, and kept adding small amounts of Gull Grey until it matched the decals perfectly. The darker maroon is the main color with a bit more tamiya Purple and black mixed in.

So, any news of the VF171?

So I can't wait for the VF-171!

I'm getting the impression that Bandai hates the VF-171, or is just not aware it exists, or just doesn't think it would sell.

There has been absolutely no news of a VF-171 model.

Likewise, there has also been a deathly silence regarding a VF-171 in any of the many Macross F toy lines.

Graham

I'm getting the impression that Bandai hates the VF-171, or is just not aware it exists, or just doesn't think it would sell.

There has been absolutely no news of a VF-171 model.

Likewise, there has also been a deathly silence regarding a VF-171 in any of the many Macross F toy lines.

Graham

Thanks Graham! I won't hold my breath! :-)

Too bad though! What if we decided to form a lobby and demonstrate in front of Bandai's headquarters? I'm a French citizen (and soon will be a Canadian citizen as well) and demonstrating is the French National Sport :p

Ok, might be an impossible task, but I'm curious.. has anyone managed to make a super VF-25 with removable armor?

I just got a super Alto, and I'm relieved that all the parts are there for a regular VF-25, but I can't decide whether to build it as a super or not. I'd love to make it so you could remove it, but it looks like the parts won't allow it.

The only real problem looks like the legs, since the super version replaces several of the leg panels from the normal kit. The chest and backplate armor look like add-on pieces, and the boosters obviously just snap over the wings, but the entire leg assembly is different for the super.

Heh.. anyone got a spare pair of VF-25 legs they'd like to sell? :)

Edited by Chronocidal

Ok, might be an impossible task, but I'm curious.. has anyone managed to make a super VF-25 with removable armor?

I just got a super Alto, and I'm relieved that all the parts are there for a regular VF-25, but I can't decide whether to build it as a super or not. I'd love to make it so you could remove it, but it looks like the parts won't allow it.

The only real problem looks like the legs, since the super version replaces several of the leg panels from the normal kit. The chest and backplate armor look like add-on pieces, and the boosters obviously just snap over the wings, but the entire leg assembly is different for the super.

Heh.. anyone got a spare pair of VF-25 legs they'd like to sell? :)

I've got my Alto, Luca, and Michael all set up to have removable Super Armor. It's tedious, but just don't glue any of those parts on (not like they really need it) and you can can pull the parts off and replace them. There's a few key areas of concern tho: First the decals that wrap around the upper thigh/intake area. I very carefully cut them at the seperation joint, and applied a liberal amount of clearcoat at the edges to keep them intact.

Second, the flip up crotch panel. This area requires major dissassembly if you want to swap out all the parts. I however only swap out the flip up panel and top cover, since I glued most of that area together for stability. I ended up cutting little grooves into the internal grey piece to allow the panel to pop out(does that make sense?). Then I had to trim the upper corners of the panel a bit so it would fold into the stock waist parts. It sounds more complicated than it really is:)

Third,and trickiest, the sheild attachement. I drilled two holes into the regular shield, exactly where the pegs are on the sheild peice included with the Super Parts. Then I put pegs into the holes on the Super Parts shield armor, so now the armor part just pegs into the orginal shield. It's not the prettiest solution, with two holes now visible in non-Super mode, bur they're small and forgivable. Or of course, you can just paint the shield piece included in the Super parts, and disassemble the shield and reassemble it for either mode.

Jarrod

Jarrod! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks for sharing, the painted colours looks so well matched together, congratulations on a wonderful paint job. Its going to be tough doing this one, but inspiration like this encourages me to find time for modeling again.

I wasn't a fan of the "Lucifer" 27, but the green unit looks quite nice indeed. Replace that silly long gun with something more a propos, and it'll really give the design a new lease on life.

I'm not going to budge though, I want my 1/48 VF-25. You hear me Bandai!? YOU HEAR ME!!!??? :lol:

Dammit! Where's my VF-171, thats the only one I've really really wanted, but bought the other thinking that Bandai would come out with the 171 so i would have a full line up.

Just typical of manufacturers when it comes to Macross, everyone wants an injection VF-11, do we get one? NO. Everyone wants an injection VF-17, well keep dreaming on that. Or how about some injection variants of the VF-19F or S...nope.

The same is probably going to happen with the VF-171 family too.

One last one. And sorry, no Gerwalk mode..just not a fan. Never even transformed into G mode.

Jarrod

Hey, Jarrod, when you paint these, do you paint them before or after being assembled. Any time I've tried to paint a transforming model before being assembled, it ends up changing the sizes of critical holes and destorying it's ability to transform.

Can I get away with just doing a coat of Red Primer on the pieces unassembled with the VF-27 and still have a chance that everything is going to fit together?