Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

I wish Bandai would've released fixed mode fighter and battroid kits of their Frontier line. Cheaper to produce and easier to build. What could be better? No one who wants to preserve their work is really going to transform them.

I wish Bandai would've released fixed mode fighter and battroid kits of their Frontier line. Cheaper to produce and easier to build. What could be better? No one who wants to preserve their work is really going to transform them.

Agreed, I just finished my VF-25F today, overall its ok. unless I missed a step or something, its very hard to keep it stable in Fighter mode, the front landing gear doors keep popping off and theres no where for the legs to lock in place. So for now Alto's VF is in Battroid where its looks really good. Sucks though cause I like Fighter mode much better. (Because my old Bandai VF-2SS+SAP kit is as stable as can be!!! )

I wish Bandai would go the Hasegawa route, I built a VF-0S Battroid kit and a VF-22 Moonshooters kit a few weeks ago. Easy to build & full of detail, can't go wrong. B))

Oh, and for the record the Hasegawa's VF-1D kit is a beauty!!!

Edited by 505thAirborne

Well, the VF-25's legs are missing a key mounting point to keep them stable in fighter, so they don't stay up (same as the DX really, but the model is at least capable of getting the legs higher.. there is room for them).

What I did was add some extra tabs to the legs and wing glove pieces, and now fighter holds together like a rock. :) I think there are pictures a few pages back in this thread, but I can repost them if you want to see where I did it.

Edited by Chronocidal

Hey Chronocidal , that sounds like a great idea for the keeping the legs solid. I thought about using tiny magnets possibly, but little tabs sounds easier!

If you could post the pics that would be great, Thank you! B))

I think I asked for the same thing and got the pictures a few pages back in this discussion, I remember it was a -25G with the exact same tabs by default on the -27 model and DX.

Status report, after a probably not-so-careful transformation of my (only) completed VF-25F, I snapped off one of the arms clean from the hinge, my camera is out of batteries so cannot share the mishap with illustrations. It's the super tight hinge that allows the six-dotted shoulder to swing 180 degrees allowing the arms to be stowed under the fuselage in fighter mode. I can see some kind of a twist stress marks where the plastic broke off.

I transformed it to check the parts that needed retouch, redecoration (lots of decals were damaged and some hinges loose), and keep it permanently in either battroid or fighter mode...now I guess it will have to be fighter...but meanwhile it's a pile of sad plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed my 1/72 VF-27 gamma Brera custom model kit. Was really looking forward to getting it done. Well I was pretty impressed until I tried to transform it. Feels really flimsy. Really don't see the point in having it transform if it was so fragile (just my opinion anyways ^_^ ). I followed the instructions closely for both the build and transformation. Managed to scrape off some of the water slide decals and made some stress marks on some of the tabs after trying to transform it from plane to gerwalk to battroid for the first time.

Well yea its a model and its not meant to be played with. But its really detailed and looks friggin awesome as a display piece. Keeping it in jet mode at the moment.

Guess that getting the model kit as a cheaper alternative to the DX didn't work out as well as I thought. Oh well, DX here I come!!!

*prays that Bandai makes a better VF-25 in future* :rolleyes:

Just completed my 1/72 VF-27 gamma Brera custom model kit.

Guess that getting the model kit as a cheaper alternative to the DX didn't work out as well as I thought. Oh well, DX here I come!!!

Except for the fact the paint comes off the DX VF-27 so easily during transformation.

Can always have the DX in fighter and the model in Battroid.

Except for the fact the paint comes off the DX VF-27 so easily during transformation.

Can always have the DX in fighter and the model in Battroid.

Well at least the DX transforms more reliably :rolleyes:

Gonna put on all the other decals soon and give it another coat of semi gloss ^_^