Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Yes, spare parts unused in SuperMessiahs can be reused for other VF-25s all the time, but the Alto's white is VERY white, while the Michel's G is off white. I use a bare plastic, clear coat only approach on these transformable kits.

On the toy forum there was a 1/60DX toy painted to look like a cannon fodder, guess with a kit set and good modeling skills the kit is only perfect for the task.

So slowly building up my VF-25G, and I'm coming across some issues here. The shoulder parts seem to restrict the wings from coming down, and they seem to have some rather large gapping. I'm also noticing the back panel is rather saggy...anyone else having some rather odd issues with the Micheal type? I'm almost afraid to finish it.

OK, so I just got copies of the Armored VF-25F and VF-25S deculture decal sets.

Does anyone know if there are any other sheets released, or soon to be released?

I already have the Sheryl and Ranka sheets that were released a while back.

I seem to remember a bunch of new deculture designs being shown at some hobby show a little while ago, but I don't know if those are actually being released, or were just for show.

I'm guessing the VF-25F and VF-25G deculture designs seen earlier in this thread are the next due out? I'm still not sure if those are meant as standalone decal sheets, or will be packed with kits.

I just want to make sure I don't miss any sheets.

By the way, for people who want to get the Armored VF-25F and Armored VF-25S sheets, I can highly recommend the ebay seller 'Ministry of Toys'.

The seller is based in Malaysia, and the price per sheet was a bit steep ($20 each), so I was a bit nervous about purchasing at first. But I couldn't find the sheets anywhere else, so I went ahead and purchased. Shipping was only $5 for both sheets combined, and they actually arrived pretty fast (just about a week I guess?). Communication with the ebay seller was good too.

So if you want those sheets and can't find them elsewhere, the ebay seller is a safe way to go.

Edited by KOG Water Dragon

I'm 95% done with the VF-25G....fighter mode is just shot in my opinion, so dissapointed how that cam eout. But the battroid looks awesome, very stiff and strong joints. Dying to put a super pack on him someday.

Also, yeah the white doesn't look bad if you use Alto's hip bits in replacement over the ones that come with Micheals kit that are the wrong color. You're not gonna really know the difference in shade cause it looks good.

You just wont be able to use those parts again on Alto if you decal with Micheal colors like I did.

the way, for people who want to get the Armored VF-25F and Armored VF-25S sheets, I can highly recommend the ebay seller 'Ministry of Toys'.

The seller is based in Malaysia, and the price per sheet was a bit steep ($20 each), so I was a bit nervous about purchasing at first. But I couldn't find the sheets anywhere else, so I went ahead and purchased. Shipping was only $5 for both sheets combined, and they actually arrived pretty fast (just about a week I guess?). Communication with the ebay seller was good too.

So if you want those sheets and can't find them elsewhere, the ebay seller is a safe way to go.

They only sell Ranka and Sheryl decal sheets now. Not either of the Armor sheets or even the standard F/S ones.

I'm still waiting on my Luca kit. He's probably the only kit that'll be kept in fighter mode as really that's all we really ever see Luca flying as. I can only think of Episode I believe 13 where he actually used battroid just to get his ass handed to him in a doggie bag.

Well I took the plunge and got a Luca with ghosts, a Super Ozma, and a Super Alto kit to give a try. I am unhappy with my Michael Dx toy so decided to try the models.

Am I right in the fact that there are no super michaels or Lucas atm?

If they look good, for as cheap as they are compared to the toys, I may have to buy multiples of each fighter to display in various modes/super pack/armor packs. And a few to use those nifty custom decals on.

I am in the process of sorting through this post, but is there any word on a model for the VF-27 or The Quadellunn Rau of the pixie team?

Or macross quarter, Battle frontier?

Thanks.

Am I right in the fact that there are no super michaels or Lucas atm?

Correct, no super pack add on kits like Alto and Ozma

If they look good, for as cheap as they are compared to the toys, I may have to buy multiples of each fighter to display in various modes/super pack/armor packs. And a few to use those nifty custom decals on.

While the model kits are better proportioned than the DX line, that's about it. The model kits have gap issues in transformation and lack any real fine detail in my opinion. They use a lot of stickers and need a good amount of paint applications to make them anime accurate.

I am in the process of sorting through this post, but is there any word on a model for the VF-27 or The Quadellunn Rau of the pixie team?

Or macross quarter, Battle frontier?

VF-27 is in the works, I also think there's a Quadelluun Rau Klan type on the way, along with a Red Vajra.

There's nothing on the Quarter or Frontier...so my guess is do not hold you breath.

HAH! My Luca kit came in. My old man tossed the box on my bed. I was kind of bummed cause I didn't hear the door knock and usually the post office makes me sign off. But they know me pretty well I guess so they left it on my door.

Bummed about the decals on the ghosts :( hate that.

Correct, no super pack add on kits like Alto and Ozma

While the model kits are better proportioned than the DX line, that's about it. The model kits have gap issues in transformation and lack any real fine detail in my opinion. They use a lot of stickers and need a good amount of paint applications to make them anime accurate.

VF-27 is in the works, I also think there's a Quadelluun Rau Klan type on the way, along with a Red Vajra.

There's nothing on the Quarter or Frontier...so my guess is do not hold you breath.

Yeah, the models need paint to make them look just right. That's what makes them models, not toys...

As for new releases, what I'd really like to see is a VF-171 series... I'll be sad if Bandai skips those.

There are no Super Michael and Super Luca kits per se, but you can easily buy a Michael or Luca kit, plus a super parts add-on kit, and wind up with the same result, for the same price that a super combo kit WOULD have cost.

Yeah, the models need paint to make them look just right. That's what makes them models, not toys...

As for new releases, what I'd really like to see is a VF-171 series... I'll be sad if Bandai skips those.

There are no Super Michael and Super Luca kits per se, but you can easily buy a Michael or Luca kit, plus a super parts add-on kit, and wind up with the same result, for the same price that a super combo kit WOULD have cost.

I agree I would love a 171

going to see how the Ozma and the Alto work out before I decide on super parting Michael and Luca.

I can really see having several kits of each fighter, one in fighter, one in super fighter, one in batroid... etc. Maybe even one in super Batroid and of course the armored Ozma is a must.

Personally I would rather have a toy that I did not have to make myself ( not real trusting to my abilities :p), but since the toys available have not really impressed me, and are more than 2 times the cost of the kits, if they work out, Ill be able to have more.

Most of the expensive toys (Yamato etc) I pretty much have one of each type and have to choose what to display it in. If theese models work out with minimal pain on my part, I am excited about the possibilities.

a VF-171 and EX style would be pure win for cannon fodder love.

I've got the left and right arms on Luca built and detailed, and his right leg. Joints are very stiff but I'm sure will loosen in time. Almost found the right mixture of pale green he has too for a lil added detail, but it was still just a bit too dark, just a hair. But I used it on the cockpit figure. Looks good now!

If I'm lucky, I'll have him mostly built up by tomorrow night.

The price includes the kit too. At least it damn well better.

Yes, it does include the kit. I still say it's steep for a kit with new decals though. It would probably be easier to just sell the decals but oh well... :unsure:

I hope for that price that the decals are spot colours instead of the crappy screened stuff that Bandai is shovelling out to us as decals (the VF-25 ones is like we printed it ourselves on a colour copier!) ;-(

Well Bandai is fighting Hasegawa's fire with fire... :lol:

VF-25F New Ranka decals

http://www.toynetjapan.com/en/items/view/24627

&

The VF-25G New Klan Decals

http://www.toynetjapan.com/en/items/view/24628

The Armor Pack Deculture decals were meant to be give aways at hobby shops, but are fairly rare since not enough were made for the demand and some shops apparently opted to not give them out to be fair to all their customers who wanted them.

I suspect these two new VF-25 "Itashi" kits are a pilot project for Bandai to gauge the demand. There are still another 4 sets that were displayed at the Hobby show earlier this year that haven't been marketed yet.

I think they learned from the Hobbypro clear VF-25 kits that sometimes limited editions are far more popular than they ever anticipated.

Hasegawa milked their VF-1 molds for years by simply releasing the same kits with new decal sheets (the upcoming Minmay release is just another one of many).

Now they'll have to come up with some new stuff to compete. The 1/48 scale is a great start, but I think a little love for the VF-4 and VF-11 fighters might be in order as well... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

Silly question perhaps, but on ebay its seem sther eis only one version of the SMS display base for the models?

I wanted one that I can disply Luca and his 3 ghosts on, does the Luca kit come with adaptors for the normal base stand?

I just got super osma, super alto and luca kits, and wowee little itsy bitsy parts! I plan on starting with osma, hopefully he won't be impossible :p

Silly question perhaps, but on ebay its seem sther eis only one version of the SMS display base for the models?

I wanted one that I can disply Luca and his 3 ghosts on, does the Luca kit come with adaptors for the normal base stand?

I just got super osma, super alto and luca kits, and wowee little itsy bitsy parts! I plan on starting with osma, hopefully he won't be impossible :p

There are holes on the display base for the Ghosts. And each Ghost has their own display adapter for the display base.