Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

Related question: what's the difference between M3/4, and B22/23? Seem to be the same part in the same color.

M3/4 are dedicated parts for VF-25G, these are a bit bigger to fit better with the head unit in Fighter mode.

B22/23 are unnused parts of VF-25S molds, reused on Mikhail´s kit.

This thread is worthless without pics, we want pics of yours paint jobs !! :D

Well, while we wait a new Ghost update here is my unfinished VF-25F "made for fun".

I have two kits and will get a third one, plan to do paint jobs on two of them, but this one is made to play with it :p , so have panel lines and stickers only :) :

p1000618z.jpg

Edited by SVF-Gerwalk

I'm surprised the intakes are molded in blue with no alternative---Bandai included "duplicate" copies of several parts in that kit, so as to make the scheme nigh-perfect without painting. (notably the crotch parts---there's blue versions on the main sprue shared by all kits, but white versions are on the VF-25G-specific sprue)

You'd think that since Bandai did go through the effort to duplicate several parts in white on an extra sprue for color accuracy, they'd have done ALL the major parts that needed that done, not just "most".

Worthless without pictures? here goes my collection (not much to see, just a pile of boxes), only the first VF-25F is assembled...no idea when I will be able to start building the rest of the Skull Squad and there is the Armored VF-25S around the corner!

Bandai did bother to give us a white "crotch" for the G, but didn't do so for the S and the RVF...they all have a crotch the same color as the upper fuselage (darker grey and darker green).

I am also quite troubled by the blue intake parts, but since I have a plain and a Super F, I think I can cannibalize that part.

I am also puzzled if the piece around the landing gear is supposed to be white or blue...it came white in the kit, it shows white in some lineart I have, but there is a dedicated blue sticker. Didn't re-watch the show to come to a conclusion.

post-9400-1238935115_thumb.jpg

This thread is worthless without pics, we want pics of yours paint jobs !! :D

Well, while we wait a new Ghost update here is my unfinished VF-25F "made for fun".

I have two kits and will get a third one, plan to do paint jobs on two of them, but this one is made to play with it :p , so have panel lines and stickers only :) :

nice one dude :)

the assembled model kit already looks awesome enough with just stickers and panel lines

Can someone post a pic of that Sticker/Decal for the G's landing gear?

Never mind, found in on page one. For all intents and purposes, having that part colored differently from the surrounding area seem to differ from the remaining VF-25's. I, personnaly, will leave it white. But as someone has already stated, it seems to actually be blue in at least one episode (14) of the anime. That was either an animation glitch or we haven't really been paying attention. Since existing lineart seems to backup the white part, i'll go with it.

Still, i'll rewatch the series... again... as i said before, it's all for "the cause".

Edited by westfall

right now i have my vf-25g and super parts on its way to me! simply cant wait

its gonna be my 4th vf-25 model kit and i hope i can assemble it quickly

once you get the hang of it,

assembling the vf-25 is not as hard as it was the first time.

when i built my luca (my 3rd valk) i only needed to glance at the instructions again a few times :)

when building the model kit,

i highly recommend painting the pilot and tiniting the cockpit to ur liking :)

it really brings up ur model to a whole new level

here's some pics of mine

Picture005-4.jpg

Picture001-6.jpg

Picture002-6.jpg

PS:a 1/72 vf-25 with a 1/60 vf-1 (forgive the flash photography, i too wish i had an SLR :p)

Picture025.jpg

Picture001-7.jpg

Edited by honkhet

here's some pics of mine

Picture005-4.jpg

Picture001-6.jpg

Picture002-6.jpg

PS:a 1/72 vf-25 with a 1/60 vf-1 (forgive the flash photography, i too wish i had an SLR :p)

Picture025.jpg

Picture001-7.jpg

I should be getting my already built 1/72 Alto in another week or so, but the cockpit and pilot aren't panted. (Nothing is)

Could you tell me what color I need to paint the interior and what colors I need to paint the pilot with? (And where)

I'd REALLY appreciate it.

-Kyp

Bandai Hobby poster of VF-25S ArmoredMessiah kit, with price, release date, box dimensions and contents:

post-10806-1239006219_thumb.jpg

Viewing pictures, the box may content a VF-25S, an armor for VF-25s and a S.M.S. Action Base.

Can someone translate the left column??

Viewing pictures, the box may content a VF-25S, an armor for VF-25s and a S.M.S. Action Base.

Can someone translate the left column??

That's what I pick up from the illustration and the text...The armored S cannot stand by itself without the action base so they decided it's a must...good thinking. Also, the armor seems to be detachable just like the Super pack, which means some parts need to be changed, so it's not a completely new kit...good! (will we ever get a stand-alone all-purpose armor? hmm...only the S and the F used it in the show??)

once you get the hang of it,

assembling the vf-25 is not as hard as it was the first time.

when i built my luca (my 3rd valk) i only needed to glance at the instructions again a few times :)

It's been months since the VF-25F (first and only) assembly...the rest are all piled up next to my computer desk...hope I "get the hang of it" and finish the Skull team in a go instead of huge hiatuses between each build. Should be moving sometime this year so I guess it will be long since I start the assembly line!

I just re-watched episodes with close ups of the G, and that blue valk does have blue underside of the cockpit as the instructions indicate, which brings the question "why did Bandai bother to do a separate white crotch but not a white intake and a blue underside?"...I think I will steer away from that foil sticker, and since I am not planning on painting the model, I will leave it anime-inaccurate :wacko: ... someday

here's some pics of mine

Picture001-6.jpg

Picture002-6.jpg

I agree with you, the tinted canopy makes a world of difference.

And a gray pilot inside the cockpit just spoils whatever amount of work you put into this bird.

Also, kudos on your pilots, they look awesome.

How did you manage to paint such tiny details?

I painted Alto 2 nights ago but compared to yours... I wanna cry. :(

post-9322-1239013300_thumb.jpg post-9322-1239013357_thumb.jpg

May i suggest you paint that small area inside the cockpit (where the main canopy piece is fitted)in the same colors of the cockpit piece? Such a fine piece of work as those two pilots deserves it.

Hi guys,

I've been lurking on the MW forums for a couple of years now, but I never posted anything because I didn't feel I had anything worthwhile to contribute but thanks to you nutcases I'm trying to build a VF-25F myself. :rolleyes:

I originally started this kit as a quick project I could finish in a weekend or three (which is why Alto looks kinda jacked; I wasn't too concerned about accuracy). Now it's turned into this obsession where I'm trying to make it as anime accurate as I can with my limited modeling skills. Anyway, thought I'd share what progress I've made so far. Went through like a dozen formulations of transparent green paint before I finally got the shade I wanted. :wacko: Don't even get me started on canopy tinting screwups...

post-5703-1239027715_thumb.jpgpost-5703-1239027729_thumb.jpgpost-5703-1239027751_thumb.jpgpost-5703-1239027778_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1239027793_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

I've been lurking on the MW forums for a couple of years now, but I never posted anything because I didn't feel I had anything worthwhile to contribute but thanks to you nutcases I'm trying to build a VF-25F myself. :rolleyes:

I originally started this kit as a quick project I could finish in a weekend or three (which is why Alto looks kinda jacked; I wasn't too concerned about accuracy). Now it's turned into this obsession where I'm trying to make it as anime accurate as I can with my limited modeling skills. Anyway, thought I'd share what progress I've made so far. Went through like a dozen formulations of transparent green paint before I finally got the shade I wanted. :wacko: Don't even get me started on canopy tinting screwups...

Well, on the bright side, the colour on the visor and the canopy looks just right! In about 5 seconds David Hingten will be in to ask you about how you tinted your canopy B))

Well, on the bright side, the colour on the visor and the canopy looks just right! In about 5 seconds David Hingten will be in to ask you about how you tinted your canopy B))

I was gonna ask that but i guess i'll wait till David Hingtgen does. :lol:

Nice work there Lolicon... and welcome to the madness!!!! :wacko:

Edited by westfall

Thanks for the welome guys. :lol:

For the canopy I tried various mixes of clear blue and red paint and had terrible results. The best and simplest method was actually listed in the previous thread. I added a small amount of Tamiya purple acrylic and heavily diluted it in Future. I just dipped the entire canopy in and then used a paper towel to soak up the excess. I didn't measure the exact amounts, but the mixture is pretty thin, like 95/5 of Future to purple, or maybe even more diluted than that. Opaque purple water is what it looked like.

If you screw up, or it's not the right tint, you can just rinse it off in water before the Future dries.

For the visor I just kept adding Tamiya clear to Tamiya clear green until it was light enough. David is right; Tamiya clear green by itself is way too dark. I've attached a pic of an early mix. Straight Tamiya green is even darker; it's practically black when attached to the rest of the head.

I made a scan of my 1/48 Yamato VF-1J sticker sheet and trimmed the display to fit into the VF-25. Stupid Bandai not including an instrument panel decal.

Now I have to finish touching up the white pinstripes on the head. <_<

post-5703-1239039826_thumb.jpg

Lolicon, that white pin stripe you did on the head is just awesome, it looks so clean

something i havent done yet till now (didnt have the guts :p)

welcome to the forums and welcome to the madness

Could you tell me what color I need to paint the interior and what colors I need to paint the pilot with? (And where)

-Kyp

Kyp, the main colors i used were white, black, light blue, red and yellow.

the red and yellow are used for the badges done by a a blob of yellow on top of a slightly bigger blob of red

white is for the back part of the helmet, and the upper chest, upper back and shoulders.

light blue/purple is for the front part of the helmet, and the left & right sides of the pilot's torso.

black is for the mid part of the pilot's front torso.

lastly, add the stripes on the helment according to the pilot's custom color (as shown by westfalls close up pic)

for the interior, i only did paint the 2 (gas?) cylinders and that circle behind the pilot white, thats all i did.

westfall, your pilot actually has much more detail than mine :D

mine is definitely not as awesome as yours, its just the lighting and the camera i used to take my photos, they are not so clear...

it even has "panel lines' on the chest,

something i didnt think of doing

SVF-Gerwalk good job at the very pronounced panel lines. Now, onto the painting :D

Hi guys,

post-5703-1239027715_thumb.jpgpost-5703-1239027729_thumb.jpgpost-5703-1239027751_thumb.jpgpost-5703-1239027778_thumb.jpg

post-5703-1239027793_thumb.jpg

same as my vf-25f head,soon i'll post that if i get a camera.

that work is simply Godly!

man i dont know how in this life i can ever manage to achieve that kind of greatness

i just dont have the skill, nor the patience nor the time

but as it is right now, i'm more than content with the ones i built myself

40000 yen... gosh

Mike is my hero and i cant wait to build his valk :(

Edited by honkhet

Hi guys,

Got 2 questions regarding these 1/72, as I don't have one... yet. :)

1. How are the joints holding up and the durability during transformation?

2. What is the name of the coating spray that prevents the decals and paint from chipping?

Thanx

I'll answer your 2nd question first. The spray that I and I'm sure most people use is called Topcoat which comes in matte and gloss. There are many other sprays which does the same thing but if you're not sure what to get just grab a bottle of Mr Hobby Topcoat. The joints are very durable due to them being ABS plastic but vigorous playing tend to wear them out somewhat but I have not noticed any lose in strength in my Alto which i got during the initial batch and even if the joints become loose you can always give the joint pegs and holes a nice coat of topcoat lawl or thin layer of PVA glue to stiffen the plastic again before you stick them back into one another.

Edited by onderon

i'll try to answer your 1st question

for the model kit, pretty much the durability depends on how well you build your model.

for a non-super vf-25, i'd say its pretty durable and i practically treat it as a toy.

things are diff when it becomes a super vf-25. its practically a "transformable display piece"

its durable enough but dont transform it all the time

but even knowing that, i still transform it all the time though,

so i take the necessary steps to add friction to make the joints tighter,

especially all the joints at the knee & gerwalk atriculation which need to hold up the weight of the armor in fighter mode.

what i do is put a blob of super glue at these areas and keep twitching the joint until the super glue dries (kinda noobish but it does work ^_^)

or u can follow onderon's advice "you can always give the joint pegs and holes a nice coat of topcoat lawl or thin layer of PVA glue to stiffen the plastic again before you stick them back into one another" which i will try too very soon :)

the friction you get from it is just nice

if needed i'll post some new pics of the super valks on a display stand and in robot mode standing without any support :p

Edited by honkhet

guys.. know this is off topic, but where do you get clear canopy for the 1/72 Vf-25F messiah Valkyrie ?

I just screwed up canopy and i am really upset now.. any ideas on how to repair? i dropped my canopy into the thinner and it went frosted, and no matter what i do, it just cannot remove the frost, instead it got worst.. sighs..

Edmund.

guys.. know this is off topic, but where do you get clear canopy for the 1/72 Vf-25F messiah Valkyrie ?

I just screwed up canopy and i am really upset now.. any ideas on how to repair? i dropped my canopy into the thinner and it went frosted, and no matter what i do, it just cannot remove the frost, instead it got worst.. sighs..

You can e-mail HLJ and see if they can break out a canopy for you. Another way to do it is make it yourself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489215