Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

That is so NICE!!! pre-order away at Rainbow ten. I've got all my VF-25's from them. I'm really falling behind on them too.got Luca Michel and a new Alto to do still. AND I still need to finish the few things on my Ozma! YIKES!! :D

Chris

Also love how it comes with the reaction missiles too. I don't think the DX has them. These models just rule over the DX :D

Chris

:o

Couldn't get hobbyist to work, but found the pic on Nhee Khiong. Wow. It's amazing. I'll wait, though, let it get cheaper, work on others & my house in the mean time.

Actually, I was just considering keeping some of my VF-1 Reaction missiles in reserve for this kit. Apparently not necessary...

Edited by Kelsain

I just got done putting Ozma together. I'm amazed at how well it all fits together given the load of sprues that are in the box. Granted, their are some large panel gaps, especially around where the cannons are just forward of the wings. Anyone have any ideas on how to make them fit better? I know wm_cheng has gone with the magnets but I'm not sure it is a direction I want to go. I still want to disassemble the pieces so that I can gloss coat/decal/panel line/flat coat the parts. Either way, I will say that these are amazing pieces of work. I love Bandai- they go together amazingly well, like my Star Trek Enterprise collection. Next up is to get the Super Parts for both of them as well as Michel and Luca.

Just as a warning. Only use the decals and spend alot of time on the model if you rarely if ever plan to transform them. Because some will always get damaged. Especially the shoulder decals will likely rip as they will scratch on the backplate. The decals on the shin armor will also scratch against the leg fuselage when you try to open them. Generally you have to be extremely careful when transforming.

Also I have learned from my stickered Alto that they actually don't look worse than the decals. The lack of the clear decal paper sheet looks better on the large stripes. Only the numbers markedly look better as decals.

So does anyone know (or think) that the Armored Pack will fit onto the other VF-25s... With maybe the exception of Luca's?

That is a lot of armor, I wonder if the wings will even hold out straight in fighter mode if the stand connector attaches only to the gunpod.

The Armored Pack just looks totally ridiculous, like they just tried to slap on as many weapons as possible to it... Its barely even like a plane. But that is why it is so awesome and essential to my collection. I gotta get this even if its as much as a DX.

Edited by Cent

Also love how it comes with the reaction missiles too. I don't think the DX has them. These models just rule over the DX :D

Chris

the model kit ownz the DX by far again and again and again.

furthermore its cheaper, and we dont have to put up with nonsense inaccuracies, nonsense QC and nonsense "web-shop exclusives"

:)

Edited by honkhet

Holy moley! Reaction missiles! This armoured pack is realy loaded out! Is the June release date confirmed? I would have liked to get it in May.. oh well.

As to the blue and white part--- I'm pretty sure that if the lineart has it white, there will be parts of the anime where it is white as well :p So do what you like I guess :p

I also noticed that in the prototype pics the battroid is sporting some awesome closed fists. Definitely thrown in to do the full missile burst pose and is more naturally looking than the hands we have now. And would it be too greedy to ask for a fold booster and some speakers for Mihail?

I keep coming back here to look at those pictures.

Am I sick? :(

Yes. Yes, you are. And i think most people in these forums are too, me included.

But it's the good kind of sick. So, it's OK. :lol:

OK, progress report:

Applied the afore-mentioned wash to the treated main parts. I was afraid the panel lines wouldn't be noticeable in the dark green parts but they look great.

Some pics of the process in one of those parts:

Future coated clean part (in bare plastic the wash works but with the Future it holds a lot better)

post-9322-1238841437_thumb.jpg

part with the wash applied ( roughly 20 minutes to dry, according to the manufacturer)

post-9322-1238841743_thumb.jpg

one half with the wash rubbed off and finally the completed part

post-9322-1238842033_thumb.jpg post-9322-1238842322_thumb.jpg

After that i applied some burnt iron to the exausts and after that dried another coat of Future. Snapped the main assembly together and now i'm brassing myself for the most terrifying part of the process... DECALING.

post-9322-1238843277_thumb.jpg post-9322-1238843503_thumb.jpg post-9322-1238843705_thumb.jpg post-9322-1238843854_thumb.jpg

One problem is the pointy ends seem to split a bit, especialy the nose (as can be seen in the last pic). I might have to apply a hint of glue to get them to look right. Any alternative ways to do it would be welcomed as well as any hints you might have on the better way to apply those nasty decals.

Edited by westfall

I keep coming back here to look at those pictures.

Am I sick? :(

Yes you are........because I infected you! :p I'm right there with you. I can't believe how excited I am about this. I didn't think I'd care this much :D

Chris

Guys, Rainbow Rainbow Ten has it for 6400 yen. Their shipping is always fair too. I've gotten all of my 1/72's from them and have had no problem plus they always seem to be cheaper than hlj or elsewhere. I'd recomend them. Plus you don't have to pay upfront, but they do frown on cancelations but they do know that it sometimes happens. You should give them a try if you haven't

Chris

Of course, is a VF-25S Armored Messiah

K granted, if it's the whole packaged deal, but I don't need a second 25S unless I can repaint that one without having paint chips later on....tempting though.

K granted, if it's the whole packaged deal, but I don't need a second 25S unless I can repaint that one without having paint chips later on....tempting though.

Paint it white as a future Alto´s VF-25S :rolleyes:

I´m back to the VF-25G in which I am working... One issue, hip/intake covers are molded in blue:

post-10806-1238893787_thumb.jpg

post-10806-1238894247_thumb.jpg

For anime acurate, we need to paint these parts or use Alto´s hips, if we have a VF-25F SuperMessiah...

Edited by alfye

Paint it white as a future Alto´s VF-25S :rolleyes:

I´m back to the VF-25G in which I am working... One issue, hip/intake covers are molded in blue:

post-10806-1238893787_thumb.jpg

post-10806-1238894247_thumb.jpg

For anime acurate, we need to paint these parts or use Alto´s hips, if we have a VF-25F SuperMessiah...

STIK,this bandai not thinking their fans,they are always want us to waste more money to buy white paints.

do you think they will also release the separate armor like what they did to vf-25f for VF-25S?

Edited by bonizuka

the model kit ownz the DX by far again and again and again.

furthermore its cheaper, and we dont have to put up with nonsense inaccuracies, nonsense QC and nonsense "web-shop exclusives"

:)

I much prefered the original version of the post :lol:

again i can confirm the superiority of the model kit vs dx

haha ok, i've got the confidence to post my orignal post now, this is how it was before edit:

"the model kit ownz the DX by far again and again and again.

the DX is just pure bullshit"

i'm willing to face the music now :D

haha ok, i've got the confidence to post my orignal post now, this is how it was before edit:

"the model kit ownz the DX by far again and again and again.

the DX is just pure bullshit"

i'm willing to face the music now :D

why do ppl continuously bring up the DX chogokin issues ? It is not relevant to this thread at all.

I'm surprised the intakes are molded in blue with no alternative---Bandai included "duplicate" copies of several parts in that kit, so as to make the scheme nigh-perfect without painting. (notably the crotch parts---there's blue versions on the main sprue shared by all kits, but white versions are on the VF-25G-specific sprue)

You'd think that since Bandai did go through the effort to duplicate several parts in white on an extra sprue for color accuracy, they'd have done ALL the major parts that needed that done, not just "most".

Related question: what's the difference between M3/4, and B22/23? Seem to be the same part in the same color.

Because its the closest possible comparison and alternative? It only makes sense to compare it to that.

Comparisons? It seems to me that they are trolling. Sorry, but I was expecting a higher degree of maturity from MW members. Ah well, I'm gonna bail out of this thread before it gets derailed any further...