VF-XX Zentran

dara made

It has seenat Macross II. very shortly. 2 or 3 secs max.

This is a shame really, considering how awesome the VF-XX looks. The Metal Siren design is quite great too.

Too bad, Macross II wasn't popular enough to warrant out some other OVAs to flesh out the MII's universe, and of course, to give the MII's Valks more screentime. B))

Those are the only two images of the VF-XX in all the published works I'm aware of. Although Seito might have found more.

Personally I am no fan of the Metal Siren. It looks like a lego project gone bad... <_<

The VF-2SS however is pretty cool, considering its mostly a hybrid between the VF-1 & VF-4...

dara made,

Information about the VF-XX is pretty scarce, and so is its art. The VF-XX Zentradi Valkyrie appears for only a few seconds in either episode 5 or 6 of Macross II: Lovers Again, and only two pieces of lineart seem to exist for the mecha... the battroid and fighter modes you posted. The only information available about it apart from that is that it's a technology demonstrator-turned-Zentradi variable fighter that was developed after the December 2054 capture of a factory satellite, introduced "in the 2060s", and was the predecessor to the VF-2 series.

Entertainment Bible 51 has color and black & white art for it, B-Club Magazine #79 has color art for it, and This is Animation Special #5: Macross II has black & white art for it. It also appears in Palladium's Macross II: Sourcebook One, though none of the information Palladium has for it is canon.

One noteworthy mention is that there is a coloring error in either B-Club Magazine #79 or Entertainment Bible 51, wherein the finlike protrusions in front of the mecha's shoulders and above the cockpit in battroid mode are colored differently. In B-Club they're white, and in Entertainment Bible 51 they're the same shade of green as the other green accents around the "collar" and on the shoulders. The art you posted is somebody's poorly done photoshopping of the B-Club colors, turning the green to blue.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

That's my poorly photoshoping. I used that valkyrie for one of my sci-fi stories. :)

Actually they are another good valkyries at the Macross II:Lovers Again. I don't like its story, it is a near copy of orginal SDFM but its concepts and musics are very good. And I think Major Nexx is great pilot. Unfortunately that poor story puts Hibiki and Sylvia (The most irritating characters ever showed up at Macross series) at the center of the story and erase all other great characters at that show. Also that poorly VF-2SS and Metal Siren did the same thing for other mechas at that series. Like these below...

post-6588-1237962534_thumb.jpg

post-6588-1237962561_thumb.jpg

Edited by dara made

Mac II's destroids look cool: I like how the designers revamped them

Actually, I like almost all Mac II's mecha designs, especially the VF-2SS; even the Marduk zentrans have good-looking mechas, though they look weird sometimes (pods without legs... arf...) but this weirdness fits them well IMO

That's my poorly photoshoping. I used that valkyrie for one of my sci-fi stories. :)

Actually they are another good valkyries at the Macross II:Lovers Again. I don't like its story, it is a near copy of orginal SDFM but its concepts and musics are very good. And I think Major Nexx is great pilot. Unfortunately that poor story puts Hibiki and Sylvia (The most irritating characters ever showed up at Macross series) at the center of the story and erase all other great characters at that show. Also that poorly VF-2SS and Metal Siren did the same thing for other mechas at that series. Like these below...

it is a near copy of orginal SDFM

Hmm, I see little evidence of that... Premise entirely different, mecha entirely different, heroes entirely different, etc... The only similarity is that humanity is yet again being attacked by giants...

Moving on to measuring the show on it's own merits (outside the cliche'd dismissal), the writers left far too many story threads dangling by the end. Ingues was far too 2 dimensional a villan, with no real motivation outside of "control". The love triangles were poorly developed and a lack of background information as to why the Earth seemed to be under martial law for so long. There was no mention in the show as to why they seemed to have abandoned the emigration project, however according Seito published information explains that.

I agree the that destroid updated did look cool and the AGA-1JF is a cool use of a dedicated GERWALK unit, however it was poorly armed IMO.

One day, I'd really love for everyone to be able to spell "Seto" correctly.

Yes, Macross II is a sequel to DYRL, and it's fairly typical for a Japanese-made sequel in that it sticks fairly close to the original work. I don't hold that against it. They had a formula that worked well, and they stuck with it. Too many sci-fi franchises have been ruined by their creators trying to fix what isn't broken (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc), which almost invariably leads to a product that's almost offensively unlike the original. (This is actually my only complaint with Macross Plus, I crucify Macross 7 for other reasons) Macross II had some absolutely stunning mechanical designs, many of which did not get the attention they deserved, and the VF-XX Zentradi Valkyrie is one of them.

There was no mention in the show as to why they seemed to have abandoned the emigration project, however according Seito published information explains that.

Yeah, unfortunately Chronicle's writers seem to be drawing exclusively from This is Animation Special #5 and Entertainment Bible 51, so a lot of the information Kenichi Yatagai and co. gave out about the series is being inadvertently excluded because it was published in B-Club Magazine. So don't expect to see anything about the Million Star incident, the Macross-class emigration ships of the 2050s, or the altered date of the Megaroad-01's liftoff in Chronicle.

What little information is available is being roundly ignored by Chronicle's writers, just like it was ignored by the idiots at Palladium, who we can thank for the mistaken belief that Macross II takes place in 2089.

On that irksome note, Chronicle offered the first hint of a date for Macross II, mentioning the year 2091 in the "People of the Mardook" article. It's in the estimated range based on the B-Club timeline, (2091-2092) but the OSTs give the year as 2092 (100 years after the OVA's debut, 10 years after the last Zentradi invasion, ~82 years after Space War 1). With most of Macross II's mecha designers going on to work on Gundam later, it seems like 2091 might be an in-joke, because it shakes out to the year 0079 under that "New Era" calendar.

(...)

Yeah, unfortunately Chronicle's writers seem to be drawing exclusively from This is Animation Special #5 and Entertainment Bible 51, so a lot of the information Kenichi Yatagai and co. gave out about the series is being inadvertently excluded because it was published in B-Club Magazine. So don't expect to see anything about the Million Star incident, the Macross-class emigration ships of the 2050s, or the altered date of the Megaroad-01's liftoff in Chronicle.

What little information is available is being roundly ignored by Chronicle's writers, just like it was ignored by the idiots at Palladium, who we can thank for the mistaken belief that Macross II takes place in 2089.

On that irksome note, Chronicle offered the first hint of a date for Macross II, mentioning the year 2091 in the "People of the Mardook" article. It's in the estimated range based on the B-Club timeline, (2091-2092) but the OSTs give the year as 2092 (100 years after the OVA's debut, 10 years after the last Zentradi invasion, ~82 years after Space War 1). With most of Macross II's mecha designers going on to work on Gundam later, it seems like 2091 might be an in-joke, because it shakes out to the year 0079 under that "New Era" calendar.

I wouldn't write off the Macross II articles in Macross Chronicle just yet. The lion's share of the information has yet to be published, let alone translated (if it has, sorry, and could you provide links to it.)

I wouldn't write off the Macross II articles in Macross Chronicle just yet. The lion's share of the information has yet to be published, let alone translated (if it has, sorry, and could you provide links to it.)

Unfortunately, it looks like the lion's share of information on Macross II will never see publication in Macross Chronicle, because they're only referencing Entertainment Bible 51 and This is Animation Special #5. They're not referencing the real mother-lode of information, B-Club #79. If they were, they'd have identified the SNN Valkyrie's model number, the design that preceded it, and its manufacturer, among other things. <_<

For the time being, it looks like I'm the only one translating the Macross II stuff, I'll post some links in the translation thread once I've finished, but it's gonna be a while, since my Japanese is not the best, and my free time is rather limited thanks to the economic downturn.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Unfortunately, it looks like the lion's share of information on Macross II will never see publication in Macross Chronicle, because they're only referencing Entertainment Bible 51 and This is Animation Special #5. They're not referencing the real mother-lode of information, B-Club #79. If they were, they'd have identified the SNN Valkyrie's model number, the design that preceded it, and its manufacturer, among other things. <_<

For the time being, it looks like I'm the only one translating the Macross II stuff, I'll post some links in the translation thread once I've finished, but it's gonna be a while, since my Japanese is not the best, and my free time is rather limited thanks to the economic downturn.

If you do, you'll have my gratitude. I'd like to tackle at least a little bit of the MacII stuff from Chronicle, but the character pages tend to have little new information, and the mecha pages give me hives.

And now I'm busy working on SDFM scripts and the SDFM novels...so Chronicle has been low on my list of priorities...

And it's unfortunate they didn't include the information from the B-Club magazine, but it really DOES seem like they're giving Macross II short shrift. No song sheets, no history sheets, no world guide sheets...only minor characters and minor mecha (at least so far).

If you do, you'll have my gratitude. I'd like to tackle at least a little bit of the MacII stuff from Chronicle, but the character pages tend to have little new information, and the mecha pages give me hives.

And it's unfortunate they didn't include the information from the B-Club magazine, but it really DOES seem like they're giving Macross II short shrift. No song sheets, no history sheets, no world guide sheets...only minor characters and minor mecha (at least so far).

It's nice to know someone out there will appreciate my hard work. Unlike my work in EB51 and B-Club #79, translating Macross Chronicle really feels like a chore, because it's not really adding anything to the body of knowledge I'd already accumulated by translating EB51, TIAS #5, and B-Club #79. I've already done partial translations of the SNN Valkyrie article, People of SNN article, and Macross Cannon article, but the translation work is currently sharing my attention with other projects... the lineart scans I'm doing for Mr. March, mecha stats I'm pulling together for Mr. March, and my attempt to sort out the contradictory accounts of VF weapons in the Macross II source materials.

Um, that thing has child-bearing hips and women's legs... quasi-breasts (although no YF-19 uniboob) and no wings... what exactly is there to like about that design?

Well, for one, it's an interesting take on the future application of Zentradi technology in the U.N. Spacy. It is, for all intents and purposes, a transformable Queadluun-Rau. It's taking the VF concept to new and interesting places.

It doesn't have to be flashy to be functional or interesting.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Um, that thing has child-bearing hips and women's legs... quasi-breasts (although no YF-19 uniboob) and no wings... what exactly is there to like about that design?

I kind of like the legs :mellow:

I think it's half way to a good looking valk. the feet could be better, the nose and cockpit section heeds to be totally reworked, and the fighter mode could really stand to look less chunky and mesh together better in fighter mode.

It's nice to know someone out there will appreciate my hard work. Unlike my work in EB51 and B-Club #79, translating Macross Chronicle really feels like a chore, because it's not really adding anything to the body of knowledge I'd already accumulated by translating EB51, TIAS #5, and B-Club #79. I've already done partial translations of the SNN Valkyrie article, People of SNN article, and Macross Cannon article, but the translation work is currently sharing my attention with other projects... the lineart scans I'm doing for Mr. March, mecha stats I'm pulling together for Mr. March, and my attempt to sort out the contradictory accounts of VF weapons in the Macross II source materials.

Yeah, while I like working on Chronicle, it's amazing the difference is when I go from that to something with a narrative and dialogue. As soon as I got Macross Ace, I put the Chronicle work aside and banged out scripts for Macross the First and Macross F: Secret Visions in a few weeks. Compare that to the almost two months it took me to complete the VF-25S article (of course, it helped that about 70% of Macross the First dialogue came DIRECTLY from the TV show, and I already had completed subs for that).

Anyway, don't spread yourself too thin...I've had to say "no" (or at least "not yet") to a few projects recently because the secondary material for SDFM is taking up all of my translation time.

Macross Chronicle is definitely "tech speak for the hard core techie". Even the wife (Japanese, native speaker), has, on more than a handful of occasions, mentioned (complained?) that the words used in Chronicle are not standard.

Nevertheless, I've gotten proficient at the majority of the kanji used when it comes to ships (or at least the diction of the author of those articles.) The headache returns when I tackle the other articles.

Anyhow, it is a shame that the publication is ignoring/not presenting a bunch of information on Macross II. Hopefully the translation efforts of yourself and others will pay off, and we'll be able to collate a complete resource somewhere.

Macross Chronicle is definitely "tech speak for the hard core techie". Even the wife (Japanese, native speaker), has, on more than a handful of occasions, mentioned (complained?) that the words used in Chronicle are not standard.

Nevertheless, I've gotten proficient at the majority of the kanji used when it comes to ships (or at least the diction of the author of those articles.) The headache returns when I tackle the other articles.

Yeah, the occasional bouts of odd technical terminology do make the translations kind of a pain. It's not quite so bad in Macross II's artbooks though, though that's mostly because the show's creators pulled a Gundam and only really touched on the basics of each mecha's specs.

Hopefully the translation efforts of yourself and others will pay off, and we'll be able to collate a complete resource somewhere.

Actually... that's exactly what my ongoing project is... collating all the information from the official sources into a single internet resource devoted specifically to the Macross II branch continuity. We started to build a new site design last year, but got derailed a bit by a major translation backlog and some personal crises, so as an interim measure I've been donating my findings to Mr. March for the Macross Mecha Manual.

Well, for one, it's an interesting take on the future application of Zentradi technology in the U.N. Spacy. It is, for all intents and purposes, a transformable Queadluun-Rau. It's taking the VF concept to new and interesting places.

It doesn't have to be flashy to be functional or interesting.

The only thing that looks really Q-rau like about that vehicle though is the girly lower half. The transformation appears to be very similar to the VF-1. While it may be written that this is an attempt at a transforming Q-rau the designers did a terrible job of incorporating that thought into the drawing. Obviously a discussion of which is more aesthetically appealing would be a matter of pure subjectivity but I have to say SK did a much better job of realizing the melding of Zent/Human tech in his YF-21.

2091? I really do hope that that's an in-joke, because Macross Ace apparently listed 2090. Not to mention that both of those dates are most likely incorrect, with 2092 being the most accurate (for the reasons you listed above). Sigh. Now, more than ever, I'm looking forward to your B-Club and Entertainment Bible translations. Not only are they going to be comprehensive, they're also probably going to be more accurate that today's official publications.

It's definitely been a big help that's much appreciated, especially since there is so little reliable English information on the Macross II mecha. I wouldn't give up hope for Macross II in the Chronicle just yet. The profile for the VF-2SS Valkyrie II, when it appears in the Chronicle, will be the ultimate test of what sources the Chronicle writers will utilize.

I think the problem with the Macross Chronicle coverage of Macross II (and parts of the rest of the franchise) is the lack of thorough research. Any publication that is released decades after the fact is going to miss information. Sometimes, they even appear to miss sources of which astute fans are aware.

Granted, we can't really blame the Chronicle writers for the state of world building in the Macross franchise. Macross hasn't exactly been painstakingly cataloged and organized over it's 25 year history. The Macross Chronicle seems like the first attempt in 25 years to perform some kind of published encyclopedia of Macross from beginning to end. It also seems very little is actually done with the Macross property unless a production is currently ongoing. And really, all this technical and chronology information is really just window dressing for interested fans. As an interested fan, I agree the lack of information is less than ideal, but I can't honestly be surprised that it's a low priority.

2091? I really do hope that that's an in-joke, because Macross Ace apparently listed 2090. Not to mention that both of those dates are most likely incorrect, with 2092 being the most accurate (for the reasons you listed above). Sigh. Now, more than ever, I'm looking forward to your B-Club and Entertainment Bible translations. Not only are they going to be comprehensive, they're also probably going to be more accurate that today's official publications.

Really, I'm not surprised anymore by the mistakes people make about the date Macross II is set. After all, only those of us with access to the creator interviews in B-Club magazine and Volume 2 of the OST (which didn't come out in the US) had the information necessary to arrive at the correct date... 2092 AD. Remember, it was thanks to you that we finally got ironclad proof that the creators set the show in that year. B-Club 79 and the show's dialogue all indicated that year, but it's nice to have an explicit statement that we were right.

Since I haven't done a thorough translation of that Mardook character sheet yet, I can't be sure that they're talking about the year the Mardook invasion took place. It might be referring to the state of the Mardook the year before the invasion, or it might be an error that'll be corrected later (like the Megaroad-01's size). Despite multiple inquiries, I have yet to find out who exactly came up with 2089 as Macross II's date, but it looks like it was somebody at US Renditions. It's not hard to guess how Macross Ace's writers came up with 2090... they added 80 to the year Space War 1 ended.

I wish my translations of B-Club #79, Entertainment Bible 51, and This is Animation Special #5 could offer a definitive and lasting solution to the nagging questions of Macross II, but while I can easily bury you up to your ears in an excruciatingly detailed and annotated timeline of the events between DYRL and II, I can't do the same where the mecha stats are concerned... yet. B-Club has filled in a LOT of the gaps in TIAS5 and EB51, leaving only one real vague area behind... gunpods and the VF-2SS's big cannon. Some sources call 'em all beam weapons, some sources call 'em all railguns, and some sources don't give any detail at all. <_<

I wish my translations of B-Club #79, Entertainment Bible 51, and This is Animation Special #5 could offer a definitive and lasting solution to the nagging questions of Macross II, but while I can easily bury you up to your ears in an excruciatingly detailed and annotated timeline of the events between DYRL and II, I can't do the same where the mecha stats are concerned... yet.

Bury me in timelines! :D

With all due respect to you and Mr. March, I care more for story backgrounds and production notes than I do for mecha stats. Nevertheless, any translated information you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

And I eagerly await your translation of the Mardook people. It'll be interesting to see if 2091 refers to some other event in Mardook history.

I've no problem with that. Trust me, I am aware that even among fan of Macross, mecha stats are not a fun pass time for everyone. I'm just a very visual person and detail oriented, so statistics and fictional anthropology fascinate me. World building is a great tool to have for storytelling. Just ask Michael Mann :)

I've no problem with that. Trust me, I am aware that even among fan of Macross, mecha stats are not a fun pass time for everyone. I'm just a very visual person and detail oriented, so statistics and fictional anthropology fascinate me. World building is a great tool to have for storytelling. Just ask Michael Mann :)

Well Marchingalongthebeancounterpath, your attention to detail is making the 3M the definitive resource for Macross Mecha to us Western fans.

We do appreciate even the minutia.... :p

Bury me in timelines! :D

With all due respect to you and Mr. March, I care more for story backgrounds and production notes than I do for mecha stats. Nevertheless, any translated information you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Oh rest assured, I will. Right now my notes on the Macross II alternate continuity span something like twenty pages, and I'm not done yet. I'm still adding details from Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song. There are a couple areas where not much detail is available, though only one of those is a major event: the 2054 Zentradi invasion, which led to the capture of another factory satellite, and the development of the VF-XX.

B-Club really is the best of the three main sources for Macross II, because it doesn't just provide the whole universe backstory, it also goes into the minutiae of the mecha stats, stuff that isn't covered in TIAS 5 and EB51.

I'm still adding details from Macross 2036 and Macross: Eternal Love Song.

I might be able to help with this. I have a Japanese PC-Engine magazine that has a 2 or 3 page story on Macross 2036. It might cover some fascinating details, or it could just be telling you that you'll be the coolest kid on the block with this game.

I might be able to help with this. I have a Japanese PC-Engine magazine that has a 2 or 3 page story on Macross 2036. It might cover some fascinating details, or it could just be telling you that you'll be the coolest kid on the block with this game.

Hmmm... if you could scan that and send me a copy, I'll add it to the translation queue and see if it adds anything to our body of information (plz. be sure to indicate what magazine, volume, and issue it came from, for archival purposes). I've knocked together a script of sorts for Macross 2036 already, and I'm about to do the same to Macross: Eternal Love Song.

I've been trying to contact Masaya for a while now to see if they've got any lineart of the VF-4S/SP/ST Siren from Macross: Eternal Love Song. All they printed in the game manual was the Flashback 2012 lineart of the VF-4, which is, oddly enough, labeled "VF-X4". In-game, there're a couple screens where the battroid mode is visible, but the shots aren't exactly the highest quality (sprite graphics and all).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Well Marchingalongthebeancounterpath, your attention to detail is making the 3M the definitive resource for Macross Mecha to us Western fans.

We do appreciate even the minutia.... :p

Well, I've been told the site is good for pictures but not much else :lol:

So there's that at least ;)

Hmmm... if you could scan that and send me a copy, I'll add it to the translation queue and see if it adds anything to our body of information (plz. be sure to indicate what magazine, volume, and issue it came from, for archival purposes). I've knocked together a script of sorts for Macross 2036 already, and I'm about to do the same to Macross: Eternal Love Song.

I've been trying to contact Masaya for a while now to see if they've got any lineart of the VF-4S/SP/ST Siren from Macross: Eternal Love Song. All they printed in the game manual was the Flashback 2012 lineart of the VF-4, which is, oddly enough, labeled "VF-X4". In-game, there're a couple screens where the battroid mode is visible, but the shots aren't exactly the highest quality (sprite graphics and all).

No problem, I'll add it to my own queue of scans that I'm working on.

Good luck getting into contact with Masaya. I'd say there's a good chance that lineart for the VF-4 Siren exists. From what I've seen, the cut-scenes in PC-Engine games were usually penciled, inked, and colored on paper and then redrawn as bitmapped images for use in the games. So there should be, at the very least, artwork for those cut-scenes. Hopefully Masaya still has them and knows where they've been stored at. If you're truly serious, you could ask them if they would be willing to sell or license them to you for use in an article that you're writing on ELS. Money has a way of opening of doors. B))

No problem, I'll add it to my own queue of scans that I'm working on.

Good luck getting into contact with Masaya. I'd say there's a good chance that lineart for the VF-4 Siren exists. From what I've seen, the cut-scenes in PC-Engine games were usually penciled, inked, and colored on paper and then redrawn as bitmapped images for use in the games. So there should be, at the very least, artwork for those cut-scenes. Hopefully Masaya still has them and knows where they've been stored at. If you're truly serious, you could ask them if they would be willing to sell or license them to you for use in an article that you're writing on ELS. Money has a way of opening of doors. B))

I'm hoping so too... FlamingGauntlet did a bunch of art for us as part of a "make your own color scheme" gimmick for the site, and for our mecha stats pages, and one of the most-discussed ones is his attempt to make sense of the various screen captures from Macross: Eternal Love Song and cobble together a VF-4S Siren from them. It actually leaked out onto 4chan a week or so ago, though how it got there is anybody's guess, since it was made specifically for us.