Macross music thread v2.0

UN Spacy

Still sad Basara never popped up in Frontier... And as cool as the Planet Dance duet is, I'd love to see May'n do Holy Lonely Light or Light the Light.

Hey, he might pop up in the Frontier movie. :p

Wait a minunte, Planet Dance Duet? Where's this one?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

May'n and Megumi are joining Kanno's compilation concert this July 7, 2009. It's very notable since she doesn't do this often, and if I'm not mistaken, she hasn't done a concert of this scale in Japan ever. I'm most excited about the fact that they are bringing along the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra. If you guys aren't familiar with them, they are the Polish orchestra that was used in recording the OSTs to Escaflowne, Aquarion, Macross Frontier, and many others.

Other artists scheduled to perform are:

Maaya Sakamoto, Origa (Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Turn-A Gundam), Scott Matthew (Ghost in the Shell: SAC), and Mai Yamane (Cowboy Bebop).

Can you imagine May'n performing "Welcome to Fanclub's Night" with a real orchestra? That'd be nice, I think!

Shameless plug:

http://gabrielarobin.com/1643/yoko-kanno-i...irmation-almost

If they don't release a dvd I'll kill someone :lol:

Does anyone know if there is a CD which has the version of DYRL from the M7 ep "Fleet of Strongest Women"? It's a pretty cool version with a nice arrangement, but it's different from the one on Mylene Jenius sings Lynn Minmay.

It's never been released, unfortunately.

It's too bad, because I like Chie Kajiura (Mylene's singing voice) better than I like Tomo Sakurai...but they got Tomo to do the Mylene Sings Minmay album....and then they got Chie to sing it (and "My Boyfriend's a Pilot") in the show itself.

And I still want Chie's version of Light the Light, dammit!

It's too bad, because I like Chie Kajiura (Mylene's singing voice) better than I like Tomo Sakurai...but they got Tomo to do the Mylene Sings Minmay album....and then they got Chie to sing it (and "My Boyfriend's a Pilot") in the show itself.

I was kinda psyched that there were so many Mac7 albums as I really got into the series' tunes. Then I found out that half of them were done by the voice actors and not the singers. Blech. It's just not the same.

As for the DYRL...

I are very sad.

On the bright side ACOUSTIC FIRE 2009 in May is gonna be a Mylene tribute, so that'll be a DVD to grab. I LOVE Kajiura's voice a lot, even though it doesn't always seem to fit Mylene.

Also who did the singing for Emilia?

I was kinda psyched that there were so many Mac7 albums as I really got into the series' tunes. Then I found out that half of them were done by the voice actors and not the singers. Blech. It's just not the same.

As for the DYRL...

I are very sad.

On the bright side ACOUSTIC FIRE 2009 in May is gonna be a Mylene tribute, so that'll be a DVD to grab. I LOVE Kajiura's voice a lot, even though it doesn't always seem to fit Mylene.

Yeah...Kajiura has a really sexy voice, I think. Which is great for listening purposes, but doesn't exactly fit Mylene's character type...

Her solo albums are quite good, too, although they occasionally sound like someone slipped Mylene some Zolan 'shrooms or something.

Also who did the singing for Emilia?

That's a REAL good question. A bunch of us tried to figure it out a while back...we came to the conclusion that it was probably Emilia's voice actress, but we're by no means sure.

I think one of the biggest missed opportunities in Frontier was that there were no returning cast members, even any real relations of note (ok, Mao, but was anyone itching to hear her story?). It could have been cool to see if any of the Jenius girls still had a music career, (I figure Mylene would have long ago gone solo as Basara fly's the Galaxy like Cain in Kung-Fu). Mac 7 did a great job in showing that Fire Bomber won't the only cats around MacF really didn't.

Not only i like more Chie Kajiura voice, i also think Tomo Sakurai sucks. I downloaded once the a show both voice actors did (and deleted right after seeing it), her attempt to cheer everybody with "hey, hey, hey" had the oposite effect on me, it was very annoying because it lasted for 2 songs. I don't remember well but i think they had a custom bass there, if she at least played all the songs with it then it wouldn't have been so bad.

-edit-

Edited by akt_m

Mac 7 did a great job in showing that Fire Bomber won't the only cats around MacF really didn't.

Ditto. I was pretty miffed that there wasn't ANY mention of the Galaxy Network or other idol singers. :mellow:

Not only i like more Chie Kajiura voice, i also think Tomo Sakurai sucks. I downloaded once the a show both voice actors did (and deleted right after seeing it), her attempt to cheer everybody with "hey, hey, hey" had the oposite effect on me, it was very annoying because it lasted for 2 songs. I don't remember well but i think they had a custom bass there, if she at least played all the songs with it then it wouldn't have been so bad.

-edit-

Hmmm. I think Tomo Sakurai's got a good voice, both for singing and voice acting. She just doesn't sound much like Chie Kajiura when she sings.

Likewise, I'm sure Aya Endo can sing...she just wouldn't sound like Sheryl if she did.

But yeah, that Live Video of the voice actors singing Planet Dance is pretty atrocious. Or as I said five years ago:

That live performance was terrible. I'm not sure what was worst...the guitar riffs being taken over by a cheesy synth, the pelvic thrusts during the guitar solo, or Tomo Sakurai looking about as sexy as warm taffy.

Now if they had had Basara and Mylene's singing VAs doing the show, with a REAL band, that would've been a lot more fun...

It' was 2059 in Macross Frontier, in Macross 7, it was 2045... if Basara was 21 then, the events of Macross Frontier would make him 35 :)

And what does age have to do with anything? The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and The Who ring a bell?

Likewise, I'm sure Aya Endo can sing...she just wouldn't sound like Sheryl if she did.

Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8L3uC13Maw

• 11 months later...