1/48+fp's, 1/60, And 1/72 Picture Gallery Pt 4

well, it's a 2nd hand 5D for less than half the original price after all... :rolleyes:

That 2nd hand 5D (frame only) costs more than my D90 and tamron 28-70mm f/2.8 brand spanking new so he can go cry me a river about he's so jealous over an 80 dollar vf-1. :p

That 2nd hand 5D (frame only) costs more than my D90 and tamron 28-70mm f/2.8 brand spanking new so he can go cry me a river about he's so jealous over an 80 dollar vf-1. :p

:lol::lol::lol:

well.....if you add all the new 1/60 valks that i have to buy......thats gonna cost like $1500+ so yah im really jealous B))

better = helluva lot more expensive = less/no valkyries :rolleyes:

But if you have a better camera you can take better pictures of valks. But If you buy the better camera you can't afford valks to photograph. But if you've got lots of valks you just have to take pictures of them to make people jealous. but you need a camera to take pictures of valks.

But if you have a better camera you can take better pictures of valks. But If you buy the better camera you can't afford valks to photograph. But if you've got lots of valks you just have to take pictures of them to make people jealous. but you need a camera to take pictures of valks.

but between the two.. getting the most number of valkyries is a better option, afterall, this is macrossworld..

i'm not taking it away from dante,vegas, eugimon, monster etc.. these guys have evolved from macross collectors.. to photography aficionados.. it's just natural that they will crave for more power with their gears..

as for me.. i only wanted to showcase my collection decently, at least a point and shoot camera, buffered with the basic knowledge (how to play with different lighting conditions and ur camera's settings) would be good enough if you want people to drool here.. :D

Edited by MaveRick

i'm not taking it away from dante,vegas, eugimon, monster etc.. these guys have evolved from macross collectors.. to photography aficionados.. it's just natural that they will crave for more power with their gears..

as for me.. i only wanted to showcase my collection decently, at least a point and shoot camera, buffered with the basic knowledge (how to play with different lighting conditions and ur camera's settings) would be good enough if you want people to drool here.. :D

lol... don't group me yet w/ those guys... i don't have enough dough to get the kind of gear they're sporting... maybe in a couple of years i'll think about getting a dandy DSLR, when i'm sure i can pay for my kids' schooling... :mellow:

i'm w/ you on this...

wow! you've got 3 x YF-21s and your own personal airstrip!!! new challenger wins!.... but seriously, awesome job on that pic.

thanks. I not sure what was worse, finding convincing looking grass at that scale or installing the miniature lights. :lol:

Edited by anime52k8

A CHALLENGER APPEARS!

YF-21flock.jpg

HOLY FRAKIN COW, you are a genius!!!! :o you used glass ripple effect for the heat exhaust. Pure genius man the winner.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

I really like this picture. I don't really know how to explain it my reaction to it other than, WOW.

My attempt... man am I rusty

_DSC1758blahcopy.jpg

I love my bones ^_^

cool! post some more pics of your collection... where's the Vermilion squad?! :)

WOW! care to share how you did this for us noobs? im not really good in photoshop especially in composite images.

yeah, share the knowledge, man.

...will i need to buy a tablet for this lesson? :unsure::D

Edited by m0n5t3r

@ Vegas

Pretty much a lurker lately ^_^

@ Mon

Will take pictures of them asap, inspired by your action bases pose of the 3 dyrl VF-1S B))

WOW! care to share how you did this for us noobs? im not really good in photoshop especially in composite images.

yeah, share the knowledge, man.

...will i need to buy a tablet for this lesson? :unsure::D

I was wondering if/when someone would ask that. ;)

OK, first I'll say that while I do use a tablet, 90% of what I did can be done just as easily with a mouse and that remaining ten percent just require a little bit more patience and practice when using a mouse. Also I use Photoshop CS3; if you have CS2 or CS4 just about everything should be the same. If you use GIMP or some other software, I've got no experience with them so you'll have to experiment yourself or ask someone else to figure out what the equivalent options are on your software.

Ok, so first off I started with the background. I found this shot of some F-15k's on google:

post-4286-1245453181_thumb.jpg

Since the background has real planes in it, it makes things much easier because I can use them for reference for setting up the lights and stuff when I take pictures of the toy. I took pictures of my YF-21 form angles that match the jets in the pic, and used a craft lamp to match the angle of the sun and the harsh lighting. One of the things most people fail to take into account is does the lighting on the object mach the lighting in the background. having an object in the frame to reference helps, but it really comes down to practice and having an eye for it.

post-4286-1245453488_thumb.jpgpost-4286-1245453499_thumb.jpgpost-4286-1245453876_thumb.jpg

(sorry I don't have many process pics, but I didn't think to make screen shots while I was working, maybe next time)

I used the pen tool to extract the each of the toys. The pen tool is slow but the most precise method of selecting objects. It can be done with a mouse, and you don't need a perfectly uniform background. I'm not going to go into how to use the pen tool in this post as it's a whole long subject in of itself. Someone else posted a good tutorial on it a while ago, but I can't for the life of me find it. If someone else can find it please link to it, otherwise I'll just make one up and post it in the photography/photoshop thread.

Anyways, one trick that really helps make the cut out object blend better is to use the "Refine Edge..." option.

post-4286-1245454740_thumb.jpg

a lot of times when people do these kind of things, they do too good a job of cutting out the object, and it ends up looking like a cut out sitting on the background rather than a part of the final picture. use the refine edge menu to mess with the feather and smoothness of the selection so that the edges aren't too crisp. that will make them blend better with the background.

so I pasted each plane into the picture (each one in it's own layer) then I scaled each one down and rotated them a hair so they line up with their corresponding F-15. For the two in the background, I needed to replicate the heat distortion, add the out of focus blur, and also replicate the image noise. First I did the heat distortion using the glass distort filter, then I used the Gaussian blur to make it look out of focus then finally I applied an add noise filter. Noise is another important thing to keep in mind, an added object will look out of place if it's image quality is different from the background it's added to.

for the plane in the foreground I used levels to make it look a bit washed out and to give it the really blown highlights the original pic had, then I used the polygonal lasso tool to select the underside of the plane so that I could adjust the levels of that part only and make it darker. I used a really high feather (something like 20 pixels) so the selected edge blended in better and so I wouldn't have to be precise while make the selection. then I went in with the burn tool and darkened a few spots by hand (this is where a tablet comes in handy).

then I made a big square selection of the lower half of the plane and used the refine endge option to get a feather of about 40 pixels so that I could apply a light glass distort filter to get the slight heat distortion that's stronger closer to the ground. finally I added a little noise, erased a few spots here and there (again a tablet makes this easier but it can be done with a mouse) merged everything down, and touched a few spots up with the blur tool.

Whole thing (including setting up and taking the pictures) took about 2~2.5 hours.

the new re-arranged set-up w/ the Action Base stands look good... haven't gotten the new cab you were planning to get?

Kaki TV 1A looks good.... 'grats! you finally have your Vermilion Squad... i was actually having second thoughts about getting a Kaki 1A for myself when i got yours... ^_^

now you've inspired me to take a pic of my 1/60 VF-1's as well... :D

Edited by m0n5t3r

Just got a new cabinet yesterday, its a book shelf type with glass sliding doors, 2ft x 1ftx 6ft with four layers. got it for 3k only. looks neat:)

Yah, the TV Kakizaki is a winner, must admit its one of my favorite VF-1 Valk ^_^

Edited by Alain