Dealing with U.S. Customs

MacrossMan

Not sure if this is the right place to post so mods please move it if necessary.

So here's my deal. I've have an item that has been stuck in U.S. Customs since March 9th. These MF's are holding on to my stuff and the post office isn't being much help in providing any information as to how to contact them. I've been told to contact the shipper to have them request a research from the originating post office. How butt-backwards is that??? The SOB's in customs have the item in their possesion. The sender's job was done when the item made it into the states and it seems U.S. Customs should have all the information! :angry:

Man I swear anyone in Customs would rather walk through hell with gasoline drawers on than face me right now! :angry:

Anyone here ever had to deal with Customs? If so what was the process? How long do they hold your stuff? Do you ever get your stuff? Is there way to contact them directly? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Found this on the CBP website and it has been useless thus far. The message says if you're trying to track a package to call the post office (go figure). Option two sends you to a voice recorder.

Name: International Mail Facility

Phone: (650) 742-9310

Operational Hours: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM(Pacific)

Weekdays (Monday-Friday)

Can you write what item is in your package?

Since toys and hobby collectibles like models are not charged with customs in the USA, the only reason they could have had to justify holding your package is one of the following:

1. The item in the package (as defined on the customs form filled in by the sender) is on their list of taxable import goods.

2. The customs form is NOT filled out properly and customs wants you to tell them what's in the box, then open it in front of you to see if you're lying, then determine whether or not it's a taxable good.

3. The item in the package is marked as a collectible good/toy, but customs doesn't believe the declaration and wants you to prove it.

Frankly, I've never heard of US customs ever giving anybody flack for an import figure, model or toy - so something is clearly wrong in your case.

In Europe and most other countries with VAT taxes, the customs office is a "been there done that" kind of thing.

Americans have been free of it for a long time...

Here's a tip though:

1) Don't get angry at the fact that it's one big mess - that's how it is. The faster you stop being angry about it, the faster you'll see your stuff.

2) Don't act like they owe you something - you are their slave. Want your stuff? Crawl on all fours until you get it.

3) Don't think too much - at least not until getting your stuff. Just smile and follow orders.

In my country, my company uses a Customs Agent so I don't have to deal with them personally.

EDIT:

PS:

Don't bother trying to call them. Get the address and drive there. Be prepared to spend a couple days going back and forth until you figure it out and have to pay them to get your stuff.

Good luck.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

All I can say is this: Have patience. I know you're eager to get your stuff, but come on, its only been there since the 9th. I'm sure there's a ton of reasons as to why its still there. More than likely there's a backlog.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the wait.

Seriously.

Sorry, but that's nothing.

Two of my last orders were held at customs for over a MONTH each and I had to pay close to 100 euros for each shipment [around USD 120] to get them.

And I paid for express shipping in order to get the items on time for an occasion.

Since you're in the US, if the items are indeed toys\collectibles, you won't have to pay a dollar for them.

Actually, the post office is right. The first thing you should do is contact the shipper/seller. They are responsible for the shipment and if you believe something is holding up customs clearance, contact the shipper and have them find out the reason for the delay. Their responsibilty does not end when it arrives in country. They are responsible until it arrives at your door. They are certainly responsible for customs clearance i think.

Keep in mind, it's likely that certain packages clear through customs quicker than other packages. What items you purchased, where you purchased from, the value of the items, the shipment method, etc can all probably affect clearance time.

You should contact US Customs only if you find out that the items has been wrongly confiscated by them. Don't jump the gun and assume it has been. First contact the seller and find out the story.

Edited by Vifam7

Yeah usually if the shipper send all the necessary info and does the forms properly it shouldn't take no more than a day or two to clear customs. For the past couple of months I have been getting tons of things from Hong Kong and Japan and never really had a hold up at customs....yet. (knocks on wood)

Frankly, I've never heard of US customs ever giving anybody flack for an import figure, model or toy - so something is clearly wrong in your case.

Here's a tip though:

2) Don't act like they owe you something - you are their slave. Want your stuff? Crawl on all fours until you get it.

Don't bother trying to call them. Get the address and drive there. Be prepared to spend a couple days going back and forth until you figure it out and have to pay them to get your stuff.

Good luck.

Pete

Not that they owe me anything, but it seems reasonable for them to try to contact the sender or recipient if there is indeed a problem, which I don't think they have. Otherwise the seller would have contacted by now.

I would go to them, but I am in Arkansas and they are in San Francisco.

All I can say is this: Have patience. I know you're eager to get your stuff, but come on, its only been there since the 9th. I'm sure there's a ton of reasons as to why its still there. More than likely there's a backlog.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the wait.

Seriously.

Been patiently waiting since July, but since the item has been shipped my patience and anticipation has turned to frustration with them. The seller has done stellar at doing their part. It is Customs who is flucking up the flow now.

Sorry, but that's nothing.

Two of my last orders were held at customs for over a MONTH each and I had to pay close to 100 euros for each shipment [around USD 120] to get them.

And I paid for express shipping in order to get the items on time for an occasion.

Since you're in the US, if the items are indeed toys\collectibles, you won't have to pay a dollar for them.

I hope this not the case for me.

Actually, the post office is right. The first thing you should do is contact the shipper/seller. They are responsible for the shipment and if you believe something is holding up customs clearance, contact the shipper and have them find out the reason for the delay. Their responsibilty does not end when it arrives in country. They are responsible until it arrives at your door. They are certainly responsible for customs clearance i think.

Keep in mind, it's likely that certain packages clear through customs quicker than other packages. What items you purchased, where you purchased from, the value of the items, the shipment method, etc can all probably affect clearance time.

You should contact US Customs only if you find out that the items has been wrongly confiscated by them. Don't jump the gun and assume it has been. First contact the seller and find out the story.

I understand what everyone is saying about being patient and that they are pretty much in control, but understand my frustration comes from the fact that my package was part of a group buy. Everybody's was package was sent at the same time from the same sender. Everyone's package has been received and accounted for except for mine. They have it and it is possible that there could be some technicality, but at least keep the interested parties in the loop instead of just holding on to the damn thing! :angry:

Not that they owe me anything, but it seems reasonable for them to try to contact the sender or recipient if there is indeed a problem, which I don't think they have. Otherwise the seller would have contacted by now.

I would go to them, but I am in Arkansas and they are in San Francisco.

Don't go to them. There's no point.

Been patiently waiting since July, but since the item has been shipped my patience and anticipation has turned to frustration with them. The seller has done stellar at doing their part. It is Customs who is flucking up the flow now.

If that's the case, how come you've been waiting since July? It shouldn't take 8 months to ship something.

I hope this not the case for me.

I understand what everyone is saying about being patient and that they are pretty much in control, but understand my frustration comes from the fact that my package was part of a group buy. Everybody's was package was sent at the same time from the same sender. Everyone's package has been received and accounted for except for mine. They have it and it is possible that there could be some technicality, but at least keep the interested parties in the loop instead of just holding on to the damn thing! :angry:

My best advice: This is the San Francisco airport freight department. They get a lot of stuff in from around the world every day. Your box is one of those things. It was likely offloaded separate from the rest by some fluke, and is now in a backlog pile, having been scanned into the databases but not checked. Give it a few more days. If you don't get it in 2 weeks, THEN start complaining.

I know when I got my Yamatos last christmas, they got here FAST. I don't know how, but it was like click accept and the doorbell rang.

So, yeah, just give it a few. ^_^

I don't know if I read everything right, but he never mentioned his item is a toy, might be something else that might be suspicious to customs, only way to get it is to personally solve the problem, if you're in Arkansas how did your item end up in San Francisco?

If that's the case, how come you've been waiting since July? It shouldn't take 8 months to ship something.

My best advice: This is the San Francisco airport freight department. They get a lot of stuff in from around the world every day. Your box is one of those things. It was likely offloaded separate from the rest by some fluke, and is now in a backlog pile, having been scanned into the databases but not checked. Give it a few more days. If you don't get it in 2 weeks, THEN start complaining.

I know when I got my Yamatos last christmas, they got here FAST. I don't know how, but it was like click accept and the doorbell rang.

So, yeah, just give it a few. ^_^

For starters we found out back this summer the 1/48 TV Max would be released in February 09; that wait was expected, but the wait from Customs was not. That is why I have been waiting since then. Now that the item has been shipped, I have been in "receiving/anticipation" mode to get my hands on it.

I too, as others have stated, have received things seas over sears from Asia fairly quick; sometimes faster that stateside re-sellers. Again, my frustrations come from the fact that all of us in the group buy were tracking our packages at the same time until one buyer said "Mine still shows inboud to customs, but the post man just delivered it to my door so check your mailboxes." Other group buy members mentioned the same thing so I figured there might be a one day delay since I had this item sent to my work address.

I didn't get bothered until this morning when the tracking info still showed the same info from last week.

With all due respect, I am looking for people who have dealt with Customs' problems and how they dealt with them and not those who have an opinion on how I should deal with the situation. I guess I should have specified that in the post, because reading some of these posts have not been helpful in getting my shiggity.

STILL :angry:

I don't know if I read everything right, but he never mentioned his item is a toy, might be something else that might be suspicious to customs, only way to get it is to personally solve the problem, if you're in Arkansas how did your item end up in San Francisco?

I've received serveral items from over seas, Asia, and they always come into the same international port of San Francisco, CA before they are processed. This is just plain crazy.

They say patience is virture. It looks like a delivery attempt was made today. My employer will pick it up in the morning and I should have it then. Just couldn't understand why everyone else had theirs and I didn't when they all came from the same shipper and what not. Anywho, I appreciate the replies.

Label/Receipt Number: Cxxx xxxx xxxx G

We attempted to deliver your item at 4:34 PM on March 16, 2009 in LITTLE ROCK, AR 72203 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

• 1 month later...

Unbelievable! Over-Drive sent me an email informing me that things were slowly being re-stocked after Golden Week on Monday and that my 1/60's would ship out the next day EMS.

The item shipped from Japan on Tuesday, was in Chicago on Wednesday, and it was in my office today! Hell, I wasn't expecting the package until next week some time at the earliest!

That, my friend, is service at its best! How is it that some things can get mailed quicker from overseas and not get caught in customs and others do? Besides that, I've had stuff shipped within the states not make it to me this quick.

I will be using Over-Drive for all my future purchases. I just tracked this item and it still shows that is at the mail unit.

Label/Receipt Number: EJ00 5253 298J P

Associated Label/Receipt:

Detailed Results:

Arrival at Unit, May 14, 2009, 9:26 am, LITTLE ROCK, AR 72202

Processed, May 14, 2009, 8:30 am, LITTLE ROCK, AR 72231

Inbound Out of Customs, May 13, 2009, 10:35 am

Inbound Into Customs

Inbound International Arrival, May 13, 2009, 10:25 am, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Foreign International Dispatch, May 13, 2009, 6:41 am, TOKYO INT, JAPAN

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Foreign Acceptance, May 12, 2009, 6:31 pm, JAPAN

How is it that some things can get mailed quicker from overseas and not get caught in customs and others do? Besides that, I've had stuff shipped within the states not make it to me this quick.

It depends on Customs and the US postal service in the area and when they get the mail from the airplane. Customs is usually fairly quick about processing parcels. Once you see the "Inbound of of Customs", that usually means it's cleared Customs. After that, you are at the mercy of the US Postal service.

I have a similar problem with customs. When I order from firms like Overdrive or Hobby Link Japan and I purchase a small or cheap item (like for example a Hasegawa kit) it goes with Small Pack and everything is fine. If I order anything with a Track and Trace method (like a Yamato) things go wrong, very wrong.

EMS can easily take between 2 and 4 weeks to arive. Took me a little research to find the cause. Usually items are shipped from Japan and then arive 1 or 2 days later at the hell hole known as Amsterdam. Then the misery starts. It seems the EMS-network has TNT as it's Dutch partner and items have to go through customs at Amsterdam Airport.

To elaborate: in my country the shipping companies have their own customs service. That means that the government has delegated the responsebilities of handeling the customs clearing process to them. TNT's handeling of shipments is slow, very slow and they seem to make no distinction between express mail or anything. Worse is they charge an extra 16 euro for this crappy service.

SAL small pack takes usually 4 to 7 days to arrive after it is send. Why? SAL tends to go through Frankfurt airport. (yes, German efficiency...). Seems they only take samples to check from the mail there and even when checked by customs the delay is minimal (Ok, VAT is added then but I don't mind as long as it arrives in a decent time).

Unfortunatly the Japanese internet sellers want a track and trace method for more expensive items, I can't blame them with the risk of loss during transit they are running, but it gets annoying having to pay up to 3 to 4 times (easily 50 USD) or more on extra shipping costs for an express service that is way slower then the cheaper method. The EMS site tells me to take complaints to the national representative, in this case TNT, who off course has no incentive what-so-ever to clean up their mess.

/rant mode off.

Packages from some companies are always checked, while other are not. I've now received really big packages from the middleman service I use for Yahoo Auctions Japan several times, shipped by EMS, and never had to pay a thing.

Almost all HLJ packages are looked at by customs though. What really irritates me is that recently the import-tax free value was raised to 150 Euro, yet TNT still charges their stupid additional charges if they checked your registered mail/EMS package from Japan, even when the value is below 150 Euro...

It's because in Europe you have to pay import taxes plus VAT. Therefore, EMS or not, it's going to sit in customs for a long time anyways.

Pete

Nah, DHL got their own customs-agency aswell, and they ship in 2 to 4 days from the US or Asia and deal with VAT and import taxes. It's just EMS (because of TNT) being crap.

Edited by Bri

I'm so glad I live in California. nothing ever takes more than a day to get through customs. Anyways since I live in the bay area it takes less than 2 hours on public transit to go and chew out the Customs people in person :D .

Edited by anime52k8

Living in Texas, my only complaint is that it takes forever to land ship it halfway across a continent to get here.

Sometimes, I wish those trucks would run straight through the night. Then, stuff would get to places faster, and it'd be cheaper.

No, they have to stop at every other major city along Route 66. I mean, the route they SHOULD take is about 500 miles shorter than that which they DO take.

Better yet, instead of stopping at SF Intl, stuff to Texas should come straight to D/FW Intl. Then, it's a simple day's wait through their customs and the shipping from UPS Irving to my house, Arlington. (Which is only 20 miles out, but still takes a day..)

I don't know. I was just impressed to see a package make it to me from Japan in three days. The only other time I have seen this happen was when I purchased my LV1 over a year ago. I paid about $50 to have it shipped and at the time I was clueless to what shipping times from overseas was. This go around my shipping was only $68. Seeing that my original reason for creating this post was because of the issue I had with customs I fully expected to have to wait a while. It was a pleasant surprise. This was the first time I have had a package arrive in Chicago instead of San Francisco though.

Living in Texas, my only complaint is that it takes forever to land ship it halfway across a continent to get here.

Sometimes, I wish those trucks would run straight through the night. Then, stuff would get to places faster, and it'd be cheaper.

No, they have to stop at every other major city along Route 66. I mean, the route they SHOULD take is about 500 miles shorter than that which they DO take.

Better yet, instead of stopping at SF Intl, stuff to Texas should come straight to D/FW Intl. Then, it's a simple day's wait through their customs and the shipping from UPS Irving to my house, Arlington. (Which is only 20 miles out, but still takes a day..)

I live in Irving but all my HLJ shipments go to Chicago for customs? and then DFW :mellow:

I live in Irving but all my HLJ shipments go to Chicago for customs? and then DFW :mellow:

Holy! You're from Irving?!

Dear, sweet Jesus, South or North of 183?!

Anyway, all the stuff I've ordered from Asia has ended up in SF for customs. Then, it's always been DRIVEN out to the Fort Worth handling center; FedEx or UPS. From SF. In the long route. Finally, a day after that, it gets here.

I mean, it's not very long; 10 days at most, but it could be much faster. Probably because I'm in Tarrant County and not Dallas, you know.

Holy! You're from Irving?!

Dear, sweet Jesus, South or North of 183?!

Anyway, all the stuff I've ordered from Asia has ended up in SF for customs. Then, it's always been DRIVEN out to the Fort Worth handling center; FedEx or UPS. From SF. In the long route. Finally, a day after that, it gets here.

I mean, it's not very long; 10 days at most, but it could be much faster. Probably because I'm in Tarrant County and not Dallas, you know.

South of 183, just moved here in December, from Chicago originally. When you order stuff do you use SAL or EMS because the EMS is what I have used and I get it about 4 days later. I pick it up at the Irving PO because mail theft is a big problem in my area :angry:

South of 183, just moved here in December, from Chicago originally. When you order stuff do you use SAL or EMS because the EMS is what I have used and I get it about 4 days later. I pick it up at the Irving PO because mail theft is a big problem in my area :angry:

EMS, man. All of my orders are, one, too big for SAL, and 2, too expensive for SAL.

It's probably faster for you, since UPS-shipped shipments come into DFW for Dallas county, but for Tarrant, my stuff always arrives in SF. From there, they drive it town-to-town until it gets to the FW processing plant and it arrives usually the next day.

Unless I luck out and it gets there on Friday. In that case, I get it Tuesday.

Off-topic: Live near Shady Grove? I really don't trust the area south of Irving Blvd. If you ever get a chance, check the Irving Mall, and the Furr's next to it. GAWD, THAT FOOD IS GOOD!

I had another package that was shipped from HLJ on Wednesday that is already inboud out of Customs. I will probably have it on Monday. This package went to Chicago too. I think I will continue to have items delivered to my work address EMS since it seems to be three day turn around and makes it through Customs without any problems.

My adventures with EMS took a surreal turn today. I have called TNT a few times this week for updates but nothing. They pretty much blamed customs.

However today I chatted to a person who works in the mailroom of my uni. Told him about my misery with my latest EMS shipment. He says he could fix it if I get him the track and trace number. Seems there works TNT staff on campus as well as the uni is a major client. He calls on of those guys has a talk and gives em my track and trace number...

A few minutes later a call back, package is pulled from the que and on send to the uni with the daily shipment. Guy says "you owe me lunch"...

In the afternoon the package was delivered to my office. No VAT, no handeling fee. :blink: Another lesson learned in the ways of the world.

My adventures with EMS took a surreal turn today. I have called TNT a few times this week for updates but nothing. They pretty much blamed customs.

However today I chatted to a person who works in the mailroom of my uni. Told him about my misery with my latest EMS shipment. He says he could fix it if I get him the track and trace number. Seems there works TNT staff on campus as well as the uni is a major client. He calls on of those guys has a talk and gives em my track and trace number...

A few minutes later a call back, package is pulled from the que and on send to the uni with the daily shipment. Guy says "you owe me lunch"...

In the afternoon the package was delivered to my office. No VAT, no handeling fee. :blink: Another lesson learned in the ways of the world.

Good for you Bri! Just goes to show: it aint what you know, but who you know!

With all due respect, I am looking for people who have dealt with Customs' problems and how they dealt with them and not those who have an opinion on how I should deal with the situation. I guess I should have specified that in the post, because reading some of these posts have not been helpful in getting my shiggity.

STILL :angry:

So, I guess everyone's non-helpful advice of being patient was the right thing to do in the end. ;)

So, I guess everyone's non-helpful advice of being patient was the right thing to do in the end. ;)

Not sure where "non-helpful" advice came from, but check this post. EMS is EMS I thought. Seeing how my last two purchases have made it it to me in an exceptional timeframe only further substantiates my frustrations with Customs from the original post.

To rehash what happened, me and 5 other members here did a group buy on the 1/48 TV Max.

All five were shipped EMS on the same day.

Everyone's tracked the same; showed inbound into customs for 2-3 days after making it to the states.

Suddenly everyone's showed up at their door, but tracking still showed inbound into customs for everyone.

For me, tracking showed this for almost a week after the others had received theirs.

I believe that was a valid reason to be concerned and somewhat perturbed by customs. Given the fact of how things panned out, be patient was the last thing I wanted to hear; let alone from those who were not eagerly awaiting the 1/48 TV Max.

In the end I got what I had expected, just not when I expected to receive it.

I guess I should have specified that in the post, because reading some of these posts have not been helpful in getting my shiggity.

I'm just saying that most of the responses were telling you to simply be patient and do nothing, but that wasn't the advice you were looking for. But, they were only trying to be helpful, and I thought they were being helpful. We've all been in your position at one time or another including myself, and I imagine most people that responded were speaking from experience. But, as Macross fans buying stuff from overseas, we can all relate to the fact that you were getting frustrated regardless of the advice to be patient. :)

I've got to the point where I don't even pay attention anymore. I just note that it got shipped and I forget about it. Then I am pleasantly surprised when I get my stuff. Everything I've ever ordered from Japan or Hong Kong has always arrived eventually. Sometimes it's in 3 days, and sometimes it takes 6 weeks.

My point in my last post is that patience is still the best advice any of us can give. That is unless one of you guys out there actually works for the Post Office. :p

I'm just saying that most of the responses were telling you to simply be patient and do nothing, but that wasn't the advice you were looking for. But, they were only trying to be helpful, and I thought they were being helpful. We've all been in your position at one time or another including myself, and I imagine most people that responded were speaking from experience. But, as Macross fans buying stuff from overseas, we can all relate to the fact that you were getting frustrated regardless of the advice to be patient. :)

I've got to the point where I don't even pay attention anymore. I just note that it got shipped and I forget about it. Then I am pleasantly surprised when I get my stuff. Everything I've ever ordered from Japan or Hong Kong has always arrived eventually. Sometimes it's in 3 days, and sometimes it takes 6 weeks.

My point in my last post is that patience is still the best advice any of us can give. That is unless one of you guys out there actually works for the Post Office. :p

Agreed 100%. I'm still learning the process of buying overseas. I've been at this for almost a year and a half now and have accepted the inevitable: EMS doesn't mean shiggity when customs is involved so your best bet is to be patient.

After what happened with the 1/48 TV Max, I fully expected to wait at least two weeks before I got anxious about my latest shipments. I'm just blown away that they were delivered in three days. It's kind of like I expected the worst in having to wait so anything before the expected wait would have been good.

Hindsight being 20/20 most were saying be patient and I certainly see what the guys were saying from their past experiences. I'll pay the advice forward when the next noob gets anxious and asks about their shipments being held up by customs. B))