Macross 2036 Daedalus II

RedWolf

I've found the first two floating around the internet. The last one can be found in Macross World - in one of the Homeworld 2 mod threads. I believe the creator of the 3D model is the MW member Lestat.

I've also found this one:

post-3910-1236788857_thumb.jpg

Aye, Morpheus, it is indeed from a video game. It appears in both Macross 2036 and Macross Eternal Love Song games for the PC Engine. Actually, in Eternal Love Song, the ship is actually the Prometheus I, but it's still the same design.

In fact, the second picture in RedWolf's post is from Eternal Love Song.

And to me, it looks VERY similar to the Albion from Gundam 0083...but without the outboard finnial/wing structures. Assuming that this design idea wasn't "Harmony Golded" from Gundam, it seems to be a fusion of the TV and DYRL ARMD designs with the "dual-bow" of the Daedalus on the front.

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

And to me, it looks VERY similar to the Albion from Gundam 0083...but without the outboard finnial/wing structures. Assuming that this design idea wasn't "Harmony Golded" from Gundam, it seems to be a fusion of the TV and DYRL ARMD designs with the "dual-bow" of the Daedalus on the front.

Also, the bridge section is the same.

Did Kawamori design the Daedalus II?

If so, it would makes sense since Kawamori was involved in the styling of the Albion in Gundam 0083.

If so, it would makes sense since Kawamori was involved in the styling of the Albion in Gundam 0083.

Did he help design the Albion? :blink: Wow...ya learn something new everyday. If that's the case, then I stand corrected. The ARMD and Daedalus influenced the Albion, not the other way around...

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Did he help design the Albion? :blink: Wow...ya learn something new everyday. If that's the case, then I stand corrected. The ARMD and Daedalus influenced the Albion, not the other way around...

Interestingly Kawamori says he "styled" the Albion rather than "design" it. Presumably I think because the base design is the original White Base from First Gundam.

I don't think that Kawamori had any involvement with either of the PC Engine Macross games, though I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I don't think that Kawamori had any involvement with either of the PC Engine Macross games, though I could be wrong.

Not every kewl looking ship in Macross was made by Shoji, u know? AFAIK Kawamori's specialty are valkyries. In the original SDF Macross Kazutaka Miyatake designed the original SLV-111 Daedalus (as well as most Zentradi and UN Spacy ships, some Zentradi mecha, the UN Spacy Destroids and the SDF-1).

Btw, Kawamori designed a valkyrie specifically for a Japanese Pc game... Maybe Miyatake did the same for Macross 2036...

Poor Miyatake... many people don't give him the credit he deserves. No wonder he's been called "The silent backbone of Studio Nue"...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

He didn't. The mechanical designs for the PC Engine games were done by Koichi Ohata, Kazumi Fujita, Junichi Akutsu, and Jun Okuda, who did the mechanical designs for Macross II.

AFAIK Kawamori's specialty are valkyries. In the original SDF Macross Kazutaka Miyatake designed the original SLV-111 Daedalus (as well as most Zentradi and UN Spacy ships, some Zentradi mecha, the UN Spacy Destroids and the SDF-1).

Btw, Kawamori designed a valkyrie specifically for a Japanese Pc game... Maybe Miyatake did the same for Macross 2036...

Nope. Miyatake wasn't involved. The only notable returning staff members from the original series and DYRL were Haruhiko Mikimoto (character design) and Sukehiro Tomita (story).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

He didn't. The mechanical designs for the PC Engine games were done by Koichi Ohata and the other Macross II mechanical designers.

Kouichi Ohata's specialty are non-canon valkyries. I suppose the Daedalus II was created by either Junichi Akutsu or Jun Okuda then... from the original Daedalus design by Kazutaka Miyatake. B))

Kouichi Ohata's specialty are non-canon valkyries. I suppose the Daedalus II was created by either Junichi Akutsu or Jun Okuda then... from the original Daedalus design by Kazutaka Miyatake. B))

You forgot Kazumi Fujita on your list there... but exactly who did the starship designs is something of a mystery, as all of the designers specialized in humanoid mecha in their later careers. A lot of the Gundam themes and technology that snuck into Macross II are likely the work of Koichi Ohata, who had worked on Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack several years earlier.

(Kazumi Fujita had also worked on Gundam prior to working on Macross II... he did designs for Zeta Gundam, A New Translation, and Gundam ZZ)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

You forgot Kazumi Fujita on your list there... but exactly who did the starship designs is something of a mystery, as all of the designers specialized in humanoid mecha in their later careers. A lot of the Gundam themes and technology that snuck into Macross II are likely the work of Koichi Ohata, who had worked on Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack several years earlier.

(Kazumi Fujita had also worked on Gundam prior to working on Macross II... he did designs for Zeta Gundam, A New Translation, and Gundam ZZ)

Err... AFAIK, Shoji Kawamori and Mikimoto were Gundam fans. The original design of the SDF-1 was a modified big White Base that turned into a gigantic Gundam... The first VF-1 prototypes made by Kawamori were called "Breast" fighters and had lots of Gundam in them...

post-7862-1239819963_thumb.png

post-7862-1239819994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Err... AFAIK, Shoji Kawamori and Mikimoto were Gundam fans. The original design of the SDF-1 was a modified big White Base that turned into a gigantic Gundam... The first VF-1 prototypes made by Kawamori were called "Breast" fighters and had lots of Gundam in them...

Yes, I'm aware of that... but it's not what I was talking about.

The PC Engine games and Macross II: Lovers Again OVA draw on a few themes and technologies from the Gundam franchise that previous Macross titles hadn't. The small-scale fleet battles are just the most obvious thematic device borrowed from Gundam. On the technological side, near the end of Macross: Eternal Love Song the VF-4ST is equipped with a beam rifle of similar size and appearance to the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam's hyper mega launcher from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, and funnels similar to those seen in Char's Counterattack (though not psycommu-controlled). The gunpods of the 2nd Generation VFs (VF-2SS, VF-2JA, VA-1SS, VF-XX) are almost exclusively beam rifles, and the VF-2SS takes it one step farther by also using bits. There's also the fact that the Mardook Empire's Gigamesh is a mobile suit, and Feff's even goes so far as to sport a "commander horn" and a coat of bright red paint.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

and a coat of bright red paint.

Like this one? ^_^

Btw... I wonder if there are any art books with the Daedalus II design in them... Will the Macross Chronicle include information about this ship? I saw the VF-2SS in it...

post-7862-1239819881_thumb.gif

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Like this one? ^_^

Close, but the Gigamesh is actually a proper mobile suit, not a powered armor.

Btw... I wonder if there are any art books with the Daedalus II design in them... Will the Macross Chronicle include information about this ship? I saw the VF-2SS in it...

I doubt the Daedalus II-class space carrier will be featured in Macross Chronicle. The writers of the Chronicle don't seem to be paying any attention to mecha from the games, let alone the alternate universe ones. After translating the SNN Valkyrie mecha sheet a while back, it occurred to me that they're only referencing two sources for all of their Macross II information... Entertainment Bible #51, and This is Animation Special #5. The motherlode of information about the mecha of Macross II (B-Club Magazine) isn't being referenced. If it was, they would've known the SNN Valkyrie's designation (VC-079), its manufacturer (Tachikahoff Corp.), its predecessor (VC-051), and its year of introduction (2079), among other things. At that point, it's highly unlikely even the PC Engine mecha which appeared in EB51 (the VF-1 Kai) will get mecha sheets.

It doesn't look like they're going to go beyond the mecha that appear in the animation, even for the main continuity. I was hoping the next mecha sheet would be the VF-2SS, and lucky me... it's the featured mecha for issue 21... I'd love for them to clear up the contradictions about the weapons the mecha uses, but since the last three Macross II mecha sheets can only be called "half-assed", I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: For some odd reason, Chronicle's website is calling it the YF-2SS... what's up with that? Typo?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

It's not that they were fans of gundam so much as they were trying to capitalize on the success of gundam by ripping of their look.

It doesn't look like they're going to go beyond the mecha that appear in the animation, even for the main continuity. I was hoping the next mecha sheet would be the VF-2SS, and lucky me... it's the featured mecha for issue 21... I'd love for them to clear up the contradictions about the weapons the mecha uses, but since the last three Macross II mecha sheets can only be called "half-assed", I'm not holding my breath.

The bit about the game mecha is untrue...check the "Series Guide" that came with issue one. They DO show an (as yet unused) designation, "Hoka" (i.e. "Other"). They specifically say that it is for mecha and characters from games and other sources.

That said, I think you're right that they probably won't do much with the MacII-related games. Just like they don't seem to be doing much with SDFM drama albums and novels.

(...)

EDIT: For some odd reason, Chronicle's website is calling it the YF-2SS... what's up with that? Typo?

Looks like a typo on the website. The ad for it in the back of #20 has "VF-2SS Valkyrie II".

It's not that they were fans of gundam so much as they were trying to capitalize on the success of gundam by ripping of their look.

When part of the creative staff is known to have published a Gundam fanzine, I think it's safe to assume they WERE Gundam fans.

When part of the creative staff is known to have published a Gundam fanzine, I think it's safe to assume they WERE Gundam fans.

AFAIK, Gunsight One was also the name of a Gundam fan club the Macross staff belonged to... :rolleyes:

I mean... Shoji was like... What? 20 years old? I bet he was a member also... He was/is a Gundam fan. I've heard he also was/is a Space Battleship Yamato fan... ^_^

The name of the fanzine (aka. doujinshi) was called "Gunsight". This fanzine later became a Gundam mook called "Gundam Century". It was one of the first books to explain and discuss the science and 'setup' of the Gundam universe.

Shoji Kawamori, Kenichi Matsuzaki, Haruhiko Mikimoto, and Kazutaka Miyatake (as well as a bunch of other Nue people) were all involved.

Edited by Vifam7

The bit about the game mecha is untrue...check the "Series Guide" that came with issue one. They DO show an (as yet unused) designation, "Hoka" (i.e. "Other"). They specifically say that it is for mecha and characters from games and other sources.

Yeah, but as I've said before, Macross Chronicle's writers are only referencing Entertainment Bible 51 and This is Animation Special #5. Since the PC Engine game mecha don't appear at all in This is Animation Special #5, and Entertainment Bible 51 only covers the VF-1 Kai (VF-1R), it's highly doubtful that any of the PC Engine game mecha will appear... and that unfortunately means we'll probably never see a mechanic sheet for the Daedalus II.

It was also going to be a parody of giant robot shows, not the serious drama it became.

It was also going to be a parody of giant robot shows, not the serious drama it became.

That was Wizu Corporation's wish. The Studio Nue staff (Kawamori et. al.) always went for the Space Opera... Thank God Wizu went bankrupt and Big West ended up working with Nue.

The name of the fanzine (aka. doujinshi) was called "Gunsight". This fanzine later became a Gundam mook called "Gundam Century". It was one of the first books to explain and discuss the science and 'setup' of the Gundam universe.

Shoji Kawamori, Kenichi Matsuzaki, Haruhiko Mikimoto, and Kazutaka Miyatake (as well as a bunch of other Nue people) were all involved.

Also according to the liner notes of the AnimEigo DVD release of the Macross TV series "Gunsight One was the fanzine title of the Gundam fan club that creator Shoji Kawamori, character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto, and writer Hiroshi Oonogi (members number 1, 2, and 3 of said club) founded while they were students at Keio University in Japan...". B))

Btw... I wonder if there exists more official art or even fan art (new or old) of the Daedalus II?

Edited by Kronnang Dunn