Chunky GBP painting

Johvic

Hi,

I've always wanted a 1/48 VF1A with urban camo GBP armor but never had the money to buy one. So I've decided to paint my 1/55 GBP armor. I think I started to give on it about 4 months ago, I disassembled the kit and sanded it and put it on storage. Until this morning that I decided to start painting it since it was a sunny day here. Conditions were just right. I started putting primer on the kit then I thought of makng a WIP thread here.

So here's how my day went... by the way, this will be my first try in painting a kit so be easy on me. And I'm using Tamiya TS spray cans only.

I've applied Mr Surfacer on the pre sanded parts

DSCF8279.jpg

then the base coat

DSCF8280.jpg

following the original design of the camou on the 1/48 GBP is dreadful, putting masking tape on is a nightmare. I wonder how difficult it is for 1/100 Gundm kits,

DSCF8281.jpg

I even saw for myself the difference between Tamiya masking tape and an ordinary masking tape. The ordinary tape may allow some paint to go under it, so I can say that the Tamiya tape has paid off well. (no photos taken, sorry)

so here is what I have finished for today.

DSCF8285.jpg

and the back

DSCF8286.jpg

next will be details and panel linings.

til next time! thanks for looking.

At last, little more love for the old school stuff. I always loved the chunky GBP. - MT

Yup

Brave guy doing it to an original.

I never got an original but have several recast ones waiting for paint.

Yup

Brave guy doing it to an original.

I never got an original but have several recast ones waiting for paint.

i was about to say the same thing.....courageuos!!! hehehehe.....1/55 GBP aint easy to come this days!!! nice painting....cant wait to see it finish!!! :lol:

hi guys,

thank yo all who enjoyed viewing my little addiction.

it was raining all week and I couldn't do much for the WIP. Here comes Saturday with the bright sun so I grabbed my rattle cans and painted the orange, dark gray and sealed it with a clear. Here's an update photo.

DSC00083.jpg

next will be panel line washing. :rolleyes:

Weathered looks alot better on a 'real robot' mecha figure, but the weathering shown above isn't really what I'd shoot for... the sooting around the vents looks good, but the rest of the machine should be more chipped and faded rather than looking like it works at a coal factory. Take a look at some of Kurt's work, or even some historical scale models, or anything HWR MkII has posted to the boards.

Weathered looks alot better on a 'real robot' mecha figure, but the weathering shown above isn't really what I'd shoot for... the sooting around the vents looks good, but the rest of the machine should be more chipped and faded rather than looking like it works at a coal factory. Take a look at some of Kurt's work, or even some historical scale models, or anything HWR MkII has posted to the boards.

thanks for the input guys.

I really like it to look like it's being used in a battle, but I still don't have an air compressor so I'm settling for the rattle cans, which, can't spray as fine as an AB. It's nice to see the GBP with some weathering, maybe I'll try the gun metal and silver weathering thingies from Tamiya. Thanks for your inputs guys.