Macross Ace Frontier (PSP)

Renato

Guys, after completing the SDFM missions, there’s a few extra missions where you get to play as either a Regult, Glaug or Zentradi soldier. On one of these missions, a daylight land mission, there are 4 containers scattered over the landscape. Are you supposed to pick them up and take them somewhere, or destroy them?

I’ve been destroying them, as the enemy (some Destroids and VF-1As) don’t appear until you destroy the containers and also there is no green ‘drop off’ area marked on the map as is usual with container missions.

Thing is, no matter how quick I destroy the containers and how quick I destroy the enemy, the best grade I can get on this mission is 'D’.

What am I doing wrong and what should I be doing different?

Graham

Been a while; can't remember what made this stage special. I *think* you're supposed to destroy them.

Have you tried doing nothing but melee attacks to kill things? Perhaps the melee bonus points are what's needed to push it over the top.

Ok, I've moved on to S ranking all the freeplay versions of the regular missions, and still no Minmay. Next up is to try attaining all cad titles (not missing very many at this point), and if that doesn't work, the dreaded go through "each" story mission with "each" unit... Think I'll save that option for last.

BTW, Looking at my player card, it would seem I have all icons except for one, right inbetween the blonde operator & the first destroid. I assume it's Misa, but since I have her unlocked as an operator, it's curious that she's not unlocked via icon yet...

OK, encountered a bug for the first time today. On the SDFM missions, I've found that when a mission is just starting and the operater gives her little speach and then you reply, the games freezes when you are replying and then the PSP auto shuts down. If you press start to skip the speech between you and the operator to go straight into the mission, the bug doesn't happen.

Anyone encountered this?

It's never happened before.

I seem to recall there was mention of a bug when using Misa and I am using Misa as my operator. Is this the Misa bug?

Hope my PSP doesn't have a problem.

Graham

Is your character in very friendly terms with Misa? If so, then yep, it is the dreaded Misa bug.

The PSP freezes, crashes and shuts down making an ugly sound...

Just avoid using Misa...

That bug sucks... Especially to Misa fans... Like me...

Edited by CrazyMartian

Is your character in very friendly terms with Misa? If so, then yep, it is the dreaded Misa bug.

The PSP freezes, crashes and shuts down making an ugly sound...

Just avoid using Misa...

That bug sucks... Especially to Misa fans... Like me...

Nearly maxed out with Misa, only 1 small heart to gn.

Hmmm... I have Misa with all big hearts, and from the little ones, only the second row is not illuminated.

I can't use her. Everytime I use my main character, when she is going to say something as the mission starts, the game crashes.

Maybe you are not using your main character and keep playing as the heroes from each series?

Either that, or you're one lucky guy with a bug free version of the game.

Oh, I was forgetting. The only mission I have left with A rank is "On your marks", the one you must A to get Luca. Any clues to getting S or SS?

I'm really frustrated to think correctly, to be honest. Can you help?

Edited by CrazyMartian

Ok, I've moved on to S ranking all the freeplay versions of the regular missions, and still no Minmay. Next up is to try attaining all cad titles (not missing very many at this point), and if that doesn't work, the dreaded go through "each" story mission with "each" unit... Think I'll save that option for last.

BTW, Looking at my player card, it would seem I have all icons except for one, right inbetween the blonde operator & the first destroid. I assume it's Misa, but since I have her unlocked as an operator, it's curious that she's not unlocked via icon yet...

I think one of the card title requirements is to SS rank everything. :wacko:

Speaking of which, have you managed to S rank the freeplay specific team missions? If so, any hints? With the exception of the Kakizaki mission (and, I think, a few of the missions involving the really large characters), I don't think I've S ranked anything else and been lucky to get anywhere between A and C.

As for that missing portrait, I've got it too. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Misa.

As for that missing portrait, I've got it too. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Misa.

I checked, and I have the portrait. It is Misa.

I have every portrait, except for Geperwhateveryouwritehisname.

First goes Itsuki (The male operator), then Yuu, next Claire (the blondie), Misa and then comes the Tomahawk.

Edited by CrazyMartian

Hmmm... I have Misa with all big hearts, and from the little ones, only the second row is not illuminated.

I can't use her. Everytime I use my main character, when she is going to say something as the mission starts, the game crashes.

Maybe you are not using your main character and keep playing as the heroes from each series?

Either that, or you're one lucky guy with a bug free version of the game.

Oh, I was forgetting. The only mission I have left with A rank is "On your marks", the one you must A to get Luca. Any clues to getting S or SS?

I'm really frustrated to think correctly, to be honest. Can you help?

Not as hard as it looks, the trick is to 1: only use melee attacks in battroid, and 2: don't kill the Large Vajra unless there's nothing else on screen. This is one of those missions where waves of small vajra will continue to spawn (not infinately thankfully) as long as the large vajra are there. The tricky part is being careful of what you're locked on to. If you find yourself locked onto the large vajra, just hold down on the crosspad while hitting the target button to switch to a weaker target. That should get you an SS.

As for me, I've only got 2 regular campaign missions that I can't gold SS.

-Hold Up

-The Vermillion

If anyone know's the trick to those, I'd appreciate it.

I think one of the card title requirements is to SS rank everything. :wacko:

Speaking of which, have you managed to S rank the freeplay specific team missions? If so, any hints? With the exception of the Kakizaki mission (and, I think, a few of the missions involving the really large characters), I don't think I've S ranked anything else and been lucky to get anywhere between A and C.

I know, and unfortunately, I'm still having trouble with a good number of those single pilot missions too. I've got them all regular S'd, but the gold SS seems to illude me. I've had some luck with using the Macross + Misa skill, and having 3 backups use Glabil. The upside to that combo, is that all the Glabil's have barrier shields, & spiritia beams. The Spiritia beam if it connects will stop a target in its tracks, making it an easy target & stopping it from attacking you while affected. The downside to using any backup is that if they tke damage it lowers your score.

As for the Macross, its got a quicker recovery time from its Macrsos Cannon special than Battle Frontier, and if you use the Misa skill before the cannon, it'll do a ton of damage, and if you're lucky kill the target if you were able to hit it with enough missiles first.

A good trick with Bodolza, is to use all Gigil's mecha as your backups, since you can only damage him in the face, and they'll freeze him almost all of the time. if only all of levels were that easy.

Edited by Keith

Not as hard as it looks, the trick is to 1: only use melee attacks in battroid, and 2: don't kill the Large Vajra unless there's nothing else on screen. This is one of those missions where waves of small vajra will continue to spawn (not infinately thankfully) as long as the large vajra are there. The tricky part is being careful of what you're locked on to. If you find yourself locked onto the large vajra, just hold down on the crosspad while hitting the target button to switch to a weaker target. That should get you an SS.

As for me, I've only got 2 regular campaign missions that I can't gold SS.

-Hold Up

-The Vermillion

If anyone know's the trick to those, I'd appreciate it.

Hey, it worked! Thanks, now I don't have the limiter anymore.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, those missions you list are just S ranked in my file. I don't know how to obtain SS. Sorry.

To save me having to dig through the MAF threads, can somebody please remind me what is the criteria for the following: -

1) Unlocking the stat limiters? Is it completing all missions, or completing all missions with ‘S’ grade?

2)Unlocking the VF-0S and SV-51, Nora, Ivanov and Cannon Fodder.

Thanks,

Graham

I know, and unfortunately, I'm still having trouble with a good number of those single pilot missions too. I've got them all regular S'd, but the gold SS seems to illude me.
If it's anything like Gundam lowering your completion time is the most important factor between getting an S or an SS.

To save me having to dig through the MAF threads, can somebody please remind me what is the criteria for the following: -

1) Unlocking the stat limiters? Is it completing all missions, or completing all missions with ‘S’ grade?

2)Unlocking the VF-0S and SV-51, Nora, Ivanov and Cannon Fodder.

Thanks,

Graham

After going through all regular campaigns, EXTRA missions should be unlocked. Getting high ranks on ZERO I and II will unlock all Macross Zero craft.

If it's anything like Gundam lowering your completion time is the most important factor between getting an S or an SS.

Unfortunately, the goals are a lot more random in Ace Frontier than they were in the Gundam games. Something I hope they tighten up in the next game.

I now have SS on all campaign missions, here's the quick & dirty on the last 2 I had trouble with.

-Hold Up

Use a fully levelled up Macross. Luckily this mission will start you off in Storm Attacker, so no worries abuut losing precious time during transformation. First thing, hit down + lock on to switch your target to the containers, fire missiles until you've destroyed all containers. When "Dangerous Enemy Has Appeared" pops up, immediately charge into the middle of all the action, and do an SP melee attack. The Daedelus attack should take out all onscreen targets, leaving you with well over 9 minutes left, and a crazy grapple/combo bonus for the SS.

-The Vermillion

This one really had me stumped, I tried so many damn things to get the SS on this mission, then I remembered something I had told my brother. Nora's SV-51 has the single most lethal weapon in the game. Make sure you start off with a pilot that has the Misa attack boosting skill, then when youstart the mission, immediately switch your secondary to Nora's machine gun. Obviously you want to have the fighter fully levelled up, but look on to whichever target you see first, unload on him, use the regular gunpod while you're waiting for the machien gun to reload, then repeat. As soon as you have 1 full SP guage, use the Misa skill, and continue shooting the SV-51's sweet hot machine gun led into Hikaru, Max, & Kakizaki. Insane combo bonus for the SS. Also make sure you keep moving, and if one of your enemy's using their SP, just switch targets & start unloading on someone else, don't waste time firing at an invincible target.

I also beat both missions with no wingman, so that may be a requirement too.

And bam, the Skull Leader title is finally mine! Now I just need to figure out why I haven't gotten the beat all missions with music title, I don't recall, but maybe I accidentally grappled a mission or two with Basara, I may have to go through all of them again from scratch. Regardless, only 14 titles to go!!

Edited by Keith

I also beat both missions with no wingman, so that may be a requirement too.

I'm pretty positive your Wingmate's health effects your score. Not to mention they can accidentally kill targets that you don't want to kill too fast because they are spawn triggers.

Gratz BTW

Thanks, I just wonder if I'll be able to finish off the other titles by the time Ultimate ships.

And Graham, just in case no one has told you, to get full enjoyment out of the extra missions, you have to enter in a few passwords.

EHIAR

LAMGV

IGYSU

KSALE

The passwords can be entered in on the settings tab.

I'd like to know this too...

And while we're running this mini support group, can I bring up the dreaded topic of the containers again?

I still don't understand how you do these levels. I cannot get more than a B on the container missions. As soon as enemies show up, you can no longer lock on to the containers, so I thought the trick was to do them immediately, but it seems the enemies are always "triggered" when you are about to pick up the second or third box. Do you just have to ignore the mission directive and kill everyone?

Also the Protect the Cats Eye mission... Can't get above a D. Yeah... I'm crap. I do have S or SS or A for all the other missions, though!! :unsure::ph34r:

The trick to container missions is to hold down on the crosspad while hitting the target button. That will lock you onto the weakest target (in this case containers).

Up: Stronger/boss character

Left/Right: Equal to, or slightly less than (say you're locked onto a captiol ship, and want to switch to a nearby Glaug).

Down: Weaker target, such as contianers, or gun turrets on a capitol ship.

This comes in handy when you have to find a boss character & take him out quick for the SS, or to stick to containers to get them out of the way quick.

As for the Catseye mission, melee. You want to use a reasonably levelled mecha, but you should be able to melee all onscreen enemies whle protecting the cateye, and finishing everything off before the time limit is up. Don't be afraid to SP dash inbetween large groops.

How does one get the VF-27 again?

I think I have all the mecha accept Battle 25, the VF-27 and Roy's VF-1S without FAST Packs.

We really need a pinned FAQ.

Graham

The VF-27 & Battle Frontier will be a true test of your metal. To get them, you have to get no lower than an A rank on the Frontier EX mission "Sad Sniper."

Good luck! :)

Only real hints & can give you there are to keep moving, and beware 2 out of 3 of the large Vajra in the 3rd wave. High Manuever Missiles, and SP Melee attack the 2 bastards (there's a 3rd weak one thrown in just to screw with you) as soon as possible, then hang tight with the small Vajra while you recover your SP guage. After that, it's on to Brera, SP dash & melee the bastard until he's toast, fire missiles, do what ever you can. Don't let him run off or you won't score an A, and whatever you don't shoot Alto, or he'll start coming at you too.

As for Roy's VF-1S, don't remember, but it's probably the Pinapple Salad Ex mission. The trick to that one is not using any SP while you fly as Roy, then as soon as you get to the second part, use "Max World" to stop Milia from slaughtering you, dash in as quick as you can and take her out before the special is over, then hang back and missile her backup for the win.

And yes, I've played this game way too much at this piont, can't wait to take it out of my PSP and slide Ultimate in there :)

Edited by Keith

Thanks, I just wonder if I'll be able to finish off the other titles by the time Ultimate ships.

And Graham, just in case no one has told you, to get full enjoyment out of the extra missions, you have to enter in a few passwords.

EHIAR

LAMGV

IGYSU

KSALE

The passwords can be entered in on the settings tab.

Ohoho! Man, one of those missions has the "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" straight from the Superfamicom Macross game that consisted only of a space mission and another inside a Zentradi ship. Hoho, I played that way back when I was a kid. Now I feel old. =P

Thanks Keith, for all the tips. I had actually tried that "switching target type" thing before, but for some reason it didn't work. It worked this time, though! So now I can get the bonus for beating Gigil AND get the bonus for collecting all the containers in the Spiritia Farm mission. I still cannot get higher than a B, though!! Argh. Maybe I'm taking too much time. I'm trying to melee (or "grapple") as much as possible, too.

Graham, do you have the VF-171EX? That's one of the few I don't have. Not sure what you need to get it, though... Maybe complete all missions with S or something?? I got Battle Frontier and the 27 ages ago, but I'm only now attempting the Pine Salada EX mission, and Millia instantly kills me every damn time. I had totally forgotten about Max's special time-freezing power -- thanks for the heads up, I'll try that next time. B))

Thanks Keith, for all the tips. I had actually tried that "switching target type" thing before, but for some reason it didn't work. It worked this time, though!
I don't know the exact reason why but both my PSPs have had problems acknowledging input commands on occasion. It's most notable with the battle games most likely because it's lag related. I've noticed some improvement since I started using custom firmware and read games from the memory stick but it's still there.

Thanks Keith, for all the tips. I had actually tried that "switching target type" thing before, but for some reason it didn't work. It worked this time, though! So now I can get the bonus for beating Gigil AND get the bonus for collecting all the containers in the Spiritia Farm mission. I still cannot get higher than a B, though!! Argh. Maybe I'm taking too much time. I'm trying to melee (or "grapple") as much as possible, too.

The main tricks are to successfully grab and place all the containers, and to melee the grunts in a timely fashion. Also, as soon as you (or your wingman) target Gigil, you HAVE to kill him in like less than 5 seconds or so to get the bonus (you'll know someone's targeted him when he starts talking again saying he's "found you").

So either you try to avoid targeting Gigil for as long as possible killing grunts until you can work your way to his position (and also buy time for your various gauges to build up), or you try to position yourself such that when he appears you can quickly target and dash to him and take him out with a one-hit SP attack kill.

Edited by sdf2501

You have to avoid Gigil until the very end, worse yet, you have to worry about Gamlin taking out Gigil. So basically:

-Don't use a wingman

-Take care of all the containers first

-Melee all grunts

-switch your target immediately if you lock on to Gigil

-When everyone else is gone, take out Gigil before Gamlin does.

Another helpful hint, target switch + L1 will clear your targetting system, which helps for finding the drop location for containers, instead of being stuck locked onto a target accidentally.

On 90 hours now. Completed 96% of the game (I think), with 'S' grade on 91% of missions.

Sad Sniper EX is a bastard. Just started it. Can't even get through it yet. Keep dying & getting an 'E'. Even in fighter mode using boost and evading, I keep getting wiped out by the missiles from the large Vajra. What mode do you guys use for this mission? The sniper riflle seems useless & if you transform to battroid to melee attack, you get hammered by missiles or the large Vajra beam cannon.