Macross Ace Frontier (PSP)

Renato

Heh, just finished and got SS on the EX mission where you unlock Roy's VF-1S without FPs. Second half of the mission was tough, until I remembered Max's special ability to stop time and used it to take out Milia.

Graham

Bingo, though ishe's still tough f you use it at even the slightest wrong time.

Edited by Keith

Only one last mission left to complete, the Macross Plus Ex mission 'Song of the Devil'. Having trouble defeating the SDF-1. Even Guld's vaunted special ramming attack seems useless. Any advice appreciated. Graham

Second toughest mission in the game. Don't worry about melee, don't bother using the YF-21's special on anything except the Ghost. What I'd reccomend for the Macross half of the mission, is immediately tab + down on the crosspad to lock onto the Macross's missile turrets. switch to Gerwalk, and keep your ass in motion while unloading the gunod. If you survive long enough to take out all the missile turrets, you'll significantly cut down on the fire coming your way. Switch back to fighter, and missile the VF-11's to hell. Once all that's gone, you're pretty safe in lieasurely taking out the rest of the Macross.

Also, keep your PPB up as much as possible, its much weaker, and recharches much slower, since the EX mission YF-21 has base stats, but it could still save your ass.

Edited by Keith

Second toughest mission in the game. Don't worry about melee, don't bother using the YF-21's special on anything except the Ghost. What I'd reccomend for the Macross half of the mission, is immediately tab + down on the crosspad to lock onto the Macross's missile turrets. switch to Gerwalk, and keep your ass in motion while unloading the gunod. If you survive long enough to take out all the missile turrets, you'll significantly cut down on the fire coming your way. Switch back to fighter, and missile the VF-11's to hell. Once all that's gone, you're pretty safe in lieasurely taking out the rest of the Macross.

Also, keep your PPB up as much as possible, its much weaker, and recharches much slower, since the EX mission YF-21 has base stats, but it could still save your ass.

Yeehaa! Just got SS on the first attempt following Keith's advice. I'm now 100% on all eras, all missions and EX missions with S or SS. Unlocked Geperi-what's-her-face. Graham

OK, started the Freeplay VS missions this morning, but I'm not getting any rank showing up after finishing a mission.

Any idea why this is? I'm guessing it's something to do with the settings.

I'm not dying at all, and I'm wiping the floor with the 3 computer enemies even when they are set on the hardest seeting. However, I am using my tuned mechs? Is that why? Do I need to use untuned, stock mecha to get ranking?

Graham

OK, started the Freeplay VS missions this morning, but I'm not getting any rank showing up after finishing a mission.

Any idea why this is? I'm guessing it's something to do with the settings.

I'm not dying at all, and I'm wiping the floor with the 3 computer enemies even when they are set on the hardest seeting. However, I am using my tuned mechs? Is that why? Do I need to use untuned, stock mecha to get ranking?

Graham

Ah, hit right (or left) on the top option, should remove the bottom 3 options, and then switch the one that say "limit" to on, and then ok, that will take you to a set of special "ace" vs stages via freeplay.

Those "VS Ace" missions are nigh-on impossible unless you play with friends connected. And no, I don't know anyone who would ever want to do that.

The Kakizaki mission was funny though. One hit and he's dead, end of mission! :lol:

Actually, not so impossible. Or I should say, not so impossible to S, SS is another matter. For the single Valkyrie/Q-Rau missions, the SV-51 is your friend, I prefer the Nora type. Equip the Misa skill, fly in by yourself (zero backup, unless it's just too hard which some are), and switch your main weapon to the machine gun. Spend most of your time in fighter, shooting off missiles constantly, but when you get enough SP, use the Misa skill, switch to battroid, SP dash right next to your foe, and unleash the blazing death that is the SV-51's machine gun. Repeat as necessary. If you come out with enough HP, you should get an S.

Now for your fights against bitchass foes like Bodolza, stick with the SV-51, but have your 3 other Wingmen in Gigil's mecha. They will use the Spiritia sucker to freeze Bodolza dead in his tracks. Enjoy the free kill fest as you use the Misa skill to increase your killing power, and you should get an SS on him pretty easy. Gepelnitch is a little tricky (stay low) and avoid the beam attack.

Hello,

Been a long time lurker on this thread, but I've come out of hiding seeking help. Save for a couple of EX missions that I just recently unlocked, I've pretty much got a 'B' ranking or above on all of the regular missions, save for the Mac+ era mission "After, in the dark ~ Torch Song", which no matter which era fighter I use, I'm only getting 'C' ranking. And I've pretty much boosted all the fighter stats to max already (and my character and wingman are pretty much maxed out as well.

Thanks!!

Hello,

Been a long time lurker on this thread, but I've come out of hiding seeking help. Save for a couple of EX missions that I just recently unlocked, I've pretty much got a 'B' ranking or above on all of the regular missions, save for the Mac+ era mission "After, in the dark ~ Torch Song", which no matter which era fighter I use, I'm only getting 'C' ranking. And I've pretty much boosted all the fighter stats to max already (and my character and wingman are pretty much maxed out as well.

Thanks!!

Unless Keith answers first, I'll run through that mission tonight and come back with some tips. I've got either S or SS on it.

Graham

Those "VS Ace" missions are nigh-on impossible unless you play with friends connected. And no, I don't know anyone who would ever want to do that.

The Kakizaki mission was funny though. One hit and he's dead, end of mission! :lol:

I've now got SS rank on 8 of the Freeplay missions and A, B or Cs on the rest.

Using Keith's tricks of having 3 Gigile's in Fz-109Fs as your wingmen, to freeze your opponent, so you can hammer them with gunpod or machine gun fire for insane combo bonuses really works well with the bigger enemies.

Still having trouble getting an S rank against the smaller faster enemies on the Freeplay missions though.

Will keep on trying

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I know that I'm extremely late to the party but I've only just picked up a copy of MAF for my PSP.

I remember seeing someone post an image here (of menu's with english translations) many moons ago, and would appreciate if someone could repost them in this thread. I'm currently playing the game from the beginning every time I fire up the PSP because I don't know where the save option is.

Hi all,

I know that I'm extremely late to the party but I've only just picked up a copy of MAF for my PSP.

I remember seeing someone post an image here (of menu's with english translations) many moons ago, and would appreciate if someone could repost them in this thread. I'm currently playing the game from the beginning every time I fire up the PSP because I don't know where the save option is.

Here you go

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/psp/file/948812/54833

• 2 weeks later...
Did you S rank the freeplay missions?

Not really I thought that you only needed to do all the regular missions to unlock it, Graham seems to have done it without the freeplay.

Had a marathon epic day yesterday. Unlocked the stat limiter, the VF-27 & Battle Frontier and got 'S' or 'SS' on all remaing missions except one. Graham

Hmm, now Graham, did you S rank the freeplay missions?

Ha, no, I haven't even touched Freeplay yet. Do you earn tune points in Freeplay? Graham
Edited by Macross1982