Strike a Pose! Ver. 3.0

A vintage Takatoku piece I picked up thanks to YahooJP (Y1000 in a water-damaged box). This is a classic Chogokin-style figure about 5" tall - probably 1/12000 scale. Colorful metallic paint and decals, soft details, rather like the old pocket-size or 2-in-1 Shogun Warrior toys. And much like those older chogokin, its got heavy slabs of diecast to give it some nice heft. In this case, its legs are diecast:

TTSDF1chogokin.jpg

Background was an old NASA black and white I jazzed up in Photoshop and added stars to.

got beaten to the punch on this... here's my much simpler version, not as elaborate as the other one, but here it is anyway... didn't dare cannibalize one of my VFs... a TF is easier (and cheaper) to cannibalize...

3352539651_c8b1442cc2.jpg3352539683_8ede693931.jpg

3352539547_82c9856d14.jpg3353364402_93e5530608.jpg

3352539611_ec86abc542.jpg3353364468_2b384986d4.jpg

It's so cool!! It happens that there was this same idea on TD yesterday!!

You said you aren't good at modelling, you liar.

Looks like classics bumblebee to me.

and we have a winner... :lol:

It's so cool!! It happens that there was this same idea on TD yesterday!!

You said you aren't good at modelling, you liar.

yeah, i saw that right before i took those pics, but i had the idea and everything ready weeks before. that's why i was so antsy to get my 1D... even tried that and the detachable arm thing with my 1S...

... my shaky hands make me bad at applying stickers and panel-lining... but i might try that pro-modellers wash one of these days... ^_^

@NB4M - that custom kit is genius... :)

Edited by m0n5t3r

and we have a winner... :lol:

yeah, i saw that right before i took those pics, but i had the idea and everything ready weeks before. that's why i was so antsy to get my 1D... even tried that and the detachable arm thing with my 1S...

... my shaky hands make me bad at applying stickers and panel-lining... but i might try that pro-modellers wash one of these days... ^_^

May I ask what you used for the sprue that holds the two seats up?

1/48 is soooooo BOSS. ^_^

Love the 1/48s too!

In my mind SIZE is a huge factor when it comes to a toy's appeal. Since I don't play with my toys and would rather have shelf presence, the toy's sculpt and size are most important to me. Throw in paint & coloring as the third criteria and that rounds out the toy's aesthetics.

Outside of Macross, for example, I love Marmit's Daigokin line. Huge, shiny, heavy, lusty gokin love. With no features and articulation. But when I walk into my toy room, these guys scream "COOL" off the shelf. Ditto with the Jumbo Grade Gundams. Yep, vintage Jumbo Machinders and modern Fewture's Gigabyte Super Robot figures are aweome too, even more so because of their super funky attitudes. And recently, I've been wondering how great the Popy GA series diecast super robots from the 1970's would be amazing if they were all Chokinzoku-sized, or even modern SOC sized, instead of just the measly 4-inches or so.

It's the reason I was so "meh" about the beautiful Wave WHAM SDF-1's, and watch everyone bitch about the size of the upcoming 1/2000 version from Yamato with unabated anticipation.

Point is, the biggest incarnations of a toy will always have my vote, even if it is less tricked out in other categories that are, frankly, less important to me. It goes back to tapping into my inner kid; when I first was exposed to these anime titles as a kid, the overriding sense was always "Whoaaaa, biiiiiig, coooool." That robot is taller than my house! That ship has a city in its stomach!

Big toys capture that that "oooh ahhh" spirit. The kind where you hold it and grin like a big dumb kid, and your girlfriend, at best rolls her eyes and smiles and reminds herself of your other, many redeeming qualities. :)

I like the middle pic best. The last pic is funny - looks like he's sniffing to check for BO :)

And teh UN Army decals are nifty too. I take it that this fellow is therefore primarily configured to function in Battroid mode? :)

Pete