Bandai VF100's Official Thread Ver.2

Graham

Well, this morning I accidentally knocked the box which holds the pieces for the 1/100. Scattered them all across the floor of my bedroom. Couldn't even muster the will to pick each and every single piece off the floor so I left it for when I get home tonight.

GAH.

Edited by Alex

I concur as well. While I don't have a strong dislike for the 1/100, I rarely find myself reaching for it...and when I do, my hand invariably sways toward the DX and I play with that instead. I expected as much though, I knew it was a partsformer going into it, and I've always had a dislike of partsformers, so I'm not surprised in the least. I bought it mostly out of curiosity, sort of an experiment to try and cure my partsformingphobia. I think it is a well made piece and looks really fantastic in all modes...but I'll still probably get rid of it and hopefully pass it on to someone who will appreciate it more. Anyone who wants to call dibs can PM me. :D

Edited by eriku

Poor 1/100 ain't getting no love.

Graham

Was talking on another forum (TD actually) that whether Bandai will continue with "everything" in the VF100 series.

It seems that it's not very well received, at least from what I see in the market. The price drops very quickly, and it is still dropping (around US$35 now).

I really want this line to be successful, as the idea of smallish scale, reasonably affordable, transformable Valks from every series is great in concept. However, with this first release, the excecution is rather disappointing

I do hope Bandai sticks with it and makes improvements and doesn't allow the line to die quietly away.

Graham

Was talking on another forum (TD actually) that whether Bandai will continue with "everything" in the VF100 series.

It seems that it's not very well received, at least from what I see in the market. The price drops very quickly, and it is still dropping (around US$35 now).

The number one complaint with the toy is the price. Perhaps the retailers or Bandai is hearing this and are making adjustments.

I don't want this line to stop. It has potential. It just needs some time to mature I think.

I do hope Bandai sticks with it and makes improvements and doesn't allow the line to die quietly away.

I think they will minimalize the amount of parts-swapping needed for transformation, as the VF-25 had too many parts to swap and some of them really shouldn't have been made swappable(or needed to be).

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I just received my 1/100 today and the closest comparison I can make to it is the Toynami 1/100 VF-1. The VF100 trades off partsforming against greater anime accuracy, but it also costs more and comes with less accessories such as a stand--- and it is twice as expensive as a Toynami. I would recommend against buying this 1/100. Compared to the DX, the legs hang lower in fighter mode because they don't lock to the wing gloves, while the gunpod had this weird curve that requires hot water to fix. Since it is about the same cost as the 1/72 model kit, I'd recommend to get that instead--- fixing up a playable model kit is not too hard if you have 3-4 hours and can stick stickers--- I've built 3 1/72s so far and it has been a joy each time.

With all the negativity, it seems that I'm the only one left still excited about the VF100 line. Alto's unit is coming two weeks from now, and I pre-ordered Michael and Ozma's VF25. The price is still a heated debate, but three VF100 VF25 for one DX VF25... I'm willing to forego all the minus point. In fact, Bandai could cash in on a mini toolbox for the various parts.

Still, objectively there are just too many parts. Hopes that Bandai will fix the VF100 concept like they swiftly fix the VF25 DX toy... Hey, Bandai only adds more holes on the DX VF25, but nevertheless, they are acknowledging the fact that there are flaws on the design.

I think they will minimalize the amount of parts-swapping needed for transformation, as the VF-25 had too many parts to swap and some of them really shouldn't have been made swappable(or needed to be).

How about making one with only 3 swappable parts?

Fighter | Gerwalk | Battroid

:lol:

There are 2 reasons why I'll keep supporting this line.

1. The promise of getting all the Valks that were shown on the poster in one scale.

2. The scale. 1:100 is such a handy scale size for collecting.

Btw I solved the sagging lower legs issue in fighter mode by supergluing it into correct form. :o I wasn't going to parts-form it into any other mode again anyways. :p

There are 2 reasons why I'll keep supporting this line.

1. The promise of getting all the Valks that were shown on the poster in one scale.

2. The scale. 1:100 is such a handy scale size for collecting.

Btw I solved the sagging lower legs issue in fighter mode by supergluing it into correct form. :o I wasn't going to parts-form it into any other mode again anyways. :p

Reason #1 is very appealing...

But checking it again, what I am missing is mainly the M7 mechs (assuming VF-27 and VF-171 would be issued, which I am not worried). And I have no love in them anyways.

Close the feet to balance in Gerwalk mode, so it's balancing on the tips of it's toes.

Yea, unfortunately that's about the only way it can balance, which is sad, because the legs actually can bend more than the DX toy due to that additional plug so gerwalk would have been beautiful. Oh well, mine is in fighter mode now, and I don't think I'll be transforming it soon.

Close the feet to balance in Gerwalk mode, so it's balancing on the tips of its toes.

That trick doesn't work on mine. The problem is with the extra leg parts for Gerwalk mode. Even after a couple of coats of clear nail polish, the tabs on those parts are still loose.

Do we know if/when they may release ones with super/strike packs?

Nope--- I think they will only be made if the line performs well, which, if current indications are anything, it won't (although these are really preliminary signs as only the VF-25F has been released-- the VF-25S, VF-25G and VF-19 Kai will be coming soon.)

Nope--- I think they will only be made if the line performs well, which, if current indications are anything, it won't (although these are really preliminary signs as only the VF-25F has been released-- the VF-25S, VF-25G and VF-19 Kai will be coming soon.)

In the "checklist" on the box, the Super and Armored packs are mentioned. If they ever release them, I think we'll get new molds of the VF-25... maybe these parts won't be removeable.

Unlike the DX, I can't see any connecting points in the VF-25F for the Super pack...

Prices are dropping here in HK. Cheapest I've seen the VF-25F go for so far is HK$299 (about US$38.58).

They do seem to be sitting on shelves unloved and unbought.

Graham

I've seen HK$279 (US$35.8) last week, so things are grim for the VF100.

It doesn't mean Bandai should stop this series IMHO; but that they should justify the purchase, price- or quality-wise.

It's still a good idea to have a collection of valkyries across series.

Interesting so far... I was thinking about picking these toys up, and everything I've seen looks good enough for the size, and for a complete line of valks, but the price point is just all wrong.

Yeah, the price is a bit high for me especially given that the VF-25 is not on the top of my must have list. They do look really nice though. I also have to factor in overseas shipping. If they were around $30 USD I would probably get them. For now, there are other things I would rather spend my money on at the moment. I can only hope that they sell well enough for Bandai to eventually release the VF-4 and a few other of my favorites.

I will wait to see how things go later in the year. I still might get some, but I have other things on my priority list at the moment. We're just getting saturated with so much cool stuff this year, and not only Macross stuff. I'm talking Star Wars, Transformers, GI-Joe, Back to the Future, Watchmen, and the list goes on and on... :)