Yamato 1/60 VF-11B Thunderbolt - Thread 2

azrael

So nice! How do you get the extraction so clean? I always have stuff to clean up with the brush.... I sometimes think it's because my background has shade on it...but technically this shouldn't be a problem...should it??

Pete

A while back I created a Photoshop tutorial for Lego creations, but the same techniques apply. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grandadmiral/...57617438864913/

Enjoy!

Holy crap the VF-11B is top shelf. Compare to my vf-1 v.2's I can see why this bird costs more. About the same size but when I hold them both I definitely feel a difference in design and quality. The only thing that bugs me slightly is that on one of my fast pack the cover to the screw is missing and on one of the canards on the fuselage, the tip is slightly off; very minuscule though. Other than that it's a perfect bird.

As I did in the -19 threads, I'd like to cry for a VF-X Ravens color scheme for this one. Unwittingly, my personalized VF-11 has the same carrier/location code ("AA") as the VF-11 in the VF-X2 opening movie.

p1010072q.jpg

Squadron identification (cough, cough David Hingtgen)? ^_^

p1010007d.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

The VFX-2 scheme mixes elements of several. But the "thick horizontal yellow rudder stripes with yellow tops" and "yellow with black borders" forward fuselage stripe pegs it as VF-142's design, the Ghostriders. (whose callsign is NOT Ghostrider, and thus NOT who Maverick and Goose flew for)

Also, AA identifies the wing, not the squadron. A wing will usually have multiple squadrons assigned to it at a time. And squadrons will change what wing they belong to every once in a while. In the Navy at least, almost any squadron can be assigned to almost any wing at any time. You can even have a reserve squadron "bump" a frontline Marines or Navy squadron from a wing.

post-16-1262408183_thumb.jpg

The VFX-2 scheme mixes elements of several. But the "thick horizontal yellow rudder stripes with yellow tops" and "yellow with black borders" forward fuselage stripe pegs it as VF-142's design, the Ghostriders. (whose callsign is NOT Ghostrider, and thus NOT who Maverick and Goose flew for)

Also, AA identifies the wing, not the squadron. A wing will usually have multiple squadrons assigned to it at a time. And squadrons will change what wing they belong to every once in a while. In the Navy at least, almost any squadron can be assigned to almost any wing at any time. You can even have a reserve squadron "bump" a frontline Marines or Navy squadron from a wing.

I thought the AA would help in narrowing down what this VF-11 was inspired by. I need to check to see if I have VF-142 decals lying around. :lol: The more I mess with it, the more the 1/60 scale VF-11 is becoming one of my favorites. I want to buy more of these, although I'm not sure on the VF-11C. :blink:

I find the toy fantastic but the lower heatshield takes a lot of time to lock into place. I have small fingers yet I am still experiencing problems, any tip on making it less painful? Also the paint for the nub on the lower heatshield is starting to come off. Anyone experiencing this as well? Also when I do get the lower and top heatshield to lock, it looks okay but the right side protudes a little more than the left. Have to look hard but it bothers me knowing it's like that. Sigh

I find the toy fantastic but the lower heatshield takes a lot of time to lock into place. I have small fingers yet I am still experiencing problems, any tip on making it less painful? Also the paint for the nub on the lower heatshield is starting to come off. Anyone experiencing this as well? Also when I do get the lower and top heatshield to lock, it looks okay but the right side protudes a little more than the left. Have to look hard but it bothers me knowing it's like that. Sigh

I very gently use a pair of tweezers to pull the lower shield until it locks. It seems to work very well.

This is the type of picture that makes me want to start a collection all over again.. :(

It's not impossible if you practice moderation. ;)

That photo is my entire collection. I've limited myself to just my favorites, and no repaints, with the exception of the VE-1, since it has a lot of different goodies than the VF-1J.

I might pick up a VF-1A cannon fodder eventually to display with no FAST packs if I have the spare cash and find a good deal. I wish I could get one from HLJ, but I already got the VF-11B from that sale, so I have to hold off for a while.

I imagine they expect sales of a pink VF-11 would be low. As for Milia's---it's probably even less well-known than her -17, but I'd love to have one. If they can make Milia's -22, surely they have the license needed for her -11. (still, I'd take a VFX-2 one above all else)

Quick note, I can confirm that that extra "click" you hear when you pull the tails out farther is them jumping outside their normal track.

If you pull out the feet, and look at the rear of the tail, you can see there's a tab on the bottom edge of the tail, and a wedge of plastic it bumps up against on the outer leg panel. Pulling on the tail enough will let that tab jump over the angled plastic track piece, and wedge the tail tightly between the two sides of it's track.

Now, this doesn't look like it's stressing the tail once it slips past, but I don't know what kind of stress this puts on that tab, or the internal structure of the leg. Once the tab is past the stop the tail seems to be kept from rotating out any more, but I don't want to take the leg apart to look at why this happens.

Really, the leg internals look like they might be built to do this on purpose.. from the rear, you can see there is a small gap that looks like it will let the upper portion of the tail mount flex, and allow the tail to squeeze between the tracks.

This might be a question for Yamato actually. One of my tails does this fairly easily, and it makes the tail stay put nicely, but the other is tighter, and I'm afraid what might happen if these tabs get broken off. Their only purpose seems to be to keep the tails from rotating out further, but I'd like to be sure before I start leaving the tails in this position for extended periods.

Actually, the biggest evidence I see against this being the intended tail position... when you do it, the paint line at the tip of the tail isn't level anymore. It's tilted up, as if the back of the tails is too high. All the line art I remember seeing has this line drawn parallel to the aircraft's flight path.

Edited by Chronocidal

Quick note, I can confirm that that extra "click" you hear when you pull the tails out farther is them jumping outside their normal track.

If you pull out the feet, and look at the rear of the tail, you can see there's a tab on the bottom edge of the tail, and a wedge of plastic it bumps up against on the outer leg panel. Pulling on the tail enough will let that tab jump over the angled plastic track piece, and wedge the tail tightly between the two sides of it's track.

Now, this doesn't look like it's stressing the tail once it slips past, but I don't know what kind of stress this puts on that tab, or the internal structure of the leg. Once the tab is past the stop the tail seems to be kept from rotating out any more, but I don't want to take the leg apart to look at why this happens.

Really, the leg internals look like they might be built to do this on purpose.. from the rear, you can see there is a small gap that looks like it will let the upper portion of the tail mount flex, and allow the tail to squeeze between the tracks.

This might be a question for Yamato actually. One of my tails does this fairly easily, and it makes the tail stay put nicely, but the other is tighter, and I'm afraid what might happen if these tabs get broken off. Their only purpose seems to be to keep the tails from rotating out further, but I'd like to be sure before I start leaving the tails in this position for extended periods.

Actually, the biggest evidence I see against this being the intended tail position... when you do it, the paint line at the tip of the tail isn't level anymore. It's tilted up, as if the back of the tails is too high. All the line art I remember seeing has this line drawn parallel to the aircraft's flight path.

I think it is supposed to angle out farther. To lessen the stress, instead of just pulling until an audible click is heard, I push the fin inwards a bit from the side to alleviate the scraping/tension on the tab. Also, in the manual, the instructions do show that the fins are meant to swivel out, then extend.

Hi I new to this forum and have just bought the VF-11B since the reviews were really good. But I am not sure how to start the transformation as the instructions are in Japanese. There aren't any youtube tutorials as well. I would appreciate some help.

thank you.

Hi I new to this forum and have just bought the VF-11B since the reviews were really good. But I am not sure how to start the transformation as the instructions are in Japanese. There aren't any youtube tutorials as well. I would appreciate some help.

thank you.

I didn't find any videos either when I got mine, but fear not...the VF-11B is very simple to transform. Nothing like the 19 or the 21 which videos are a must have for first timers. Just kinda follow the pictures along, take your time, and don't be too nervous about it! Yamato actually engineered a GREAT toy here. It won't fall apart. Whenever I transform these things I go with the "gentle, but firm" approach, and I have yet to break anything. Have fun with it! It's an awesome piece! B))

p.s. ---read back though this thread for help on figuring out the heat shield clip together part--it helps!

Edited by derex3592

I didn't find any videos either when I got mine, but fear not...the VF-11B is very simple to transform. Nothing like the 19 or the 21 which videos are a must have for first timers. Just kinda follow the pictures along, take your time, and don't be too nervous about it! Yamato actually engineered a GREAT toy here. It won't fall apart. Whenever I transform these things I go with the "gentle, but firm" approach, and I have yet to break anything. Have fun with it! It's an awesome piece! B))

p.s. ---read back though this thread for help on figuring out the heat shield clip together part--it helps!

thanks. The problem is the instructions, they don't quite seem to fit. example, the first part where you need to pull up the tail wing and push up towards the leg, but on the toy itself, i found that you can't pull it up but have to just slide up and retract the tail wing. Abit misleading on the part of the instruction which will lead to a breakage.

would you happen to know any translated instructions in english?

Almost all instructions for all transforming toys tend to "simplify" things. If what's REALLY required is to "pull out slightly to the side to disengage a post, then rotate just a bit to get past the hook on the tab, then you can pull the legs down"---the instructions will really just say/show "pull the leg straight down", and depend/hope on the plastic bending without breaking until the owner figures out EXACTLY what really needs to happen.

The above is true for all toys from all manufacturers. The chest plate/forward fuselage joint on the V2 VF-1 is a great example of this. What they show and what really needs to happen are very different--I'm surprised there's no broken chest plates/tabs on MW AFAIK.

Nice to meet everyone, I just joined today. I've been a huge fan of Macross after seeing Macross Plus for the first time in 1996, but for some reason I had never been interested in buying toys before.

The first time I came across a Yamato Macross toy was when I saw the YF-19 and some VF-1's on display at yellowsubmarine and volks in japan when I was there in 2006. For some reason I didn't buy them, probably because I didn't have that kind of money to spend on toys at the time...

Well, now I just bought a YF-19-00, VE-1, and this VF-11B beauty all just a few minutes ago. My bank account is in ruins... :wacko:

Edited by zeroyon

Almost all instructions for all transforming toys tend to "simplify" things. If what's REALLY required is to "pull out slightly to the side to disengage a post, then rotate just a bit to get past the hook on the tab, then you can pull the legs down"---the instructions will really just say/show "pull the leg straight down", and depend/hope on the plastic bending without breaking until the owner figures out EXACTLY what really needs to happen.

The above is true for all toys from all manufacturers. The chest plate/forward fuselage joint on the V2 VF-1 is a great example of this. What they show and what really needs to happen are very different--I'm surprised there's no broken chest plates/tabs on MW AFAIK.

Looks like its a matter of time b4 i break the Vf-11B, since I have never own a transformable toy before. :(

Looks like its a matter of time b4 i break the Vf-11B, since I have never own a transformable toy before. :(

whew, :lol: I have successfully transformed the VF-11B, it's a really solid piece of work. But i am sure i have a few mistransformation. Will post the pictures soon.

Thanks.

Sheesh! I've searched high and low for a transformation video for this. As easy as I remember it being to transorming it, I followed the instructions of a video. I'm wanting to put this back into fighter mode and was wondering if anyone knows of transformation video. Otherwise he'll spend the rest of his life in battroid.