Official MacrossWorld Con 2009 Information Thread

Wow, fantastic displays!!! That kareoke contest looked like it was heaps fun!

Looking forward to the videos! :D

I see NMB4M's VF-1D now has a 2 seater rail at the back now! Does it work properly yet or?? Brilliant! :D

LOVE THE CAKE!!! Well done! What flavour?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I gotta say I'm a huge fan of Maiden Japan. he transformation sequence (which quickly got crowded BTW... we should have projected it) is pretty incredible. I like it more than the MPC transformation... and if anyone knew me, they know how much I love the MPC Prime... which I consider the best toy ever made. And I'm not a Transformers fan, it just has all the right elements that a toy should have.

Anyway, the arms fold to the back and the grill remains the grill unlike in the MPC where there's 2 is very cool. It's funny that its impossible to have it transform just like the cartoon without making it look like the G1 toy. The size of it gave me an idea of how big the 1/2000 Macross would be, except the Macross is almost 1/3 the main gun, so this thing was even bigger if you measure both head to toe. DROOL!

I gotta say I'm a huge fan of Maiden Japan. he transformation sequence (which quickly got crowded BTW... we should have projected it) is pretty incredible. I like it more than the MPC transformation... and if anyone knew me, they know how much I love the MPC Prime... which I consider the best toy ever made. And I'm not a Transformers fan, it just has all the right elements that a toy should have.

Anyway, the arms fold to the back and the grill remains the grill unlike in the MPC where there's 2 is very cool. It's funny that its impossible to have it transform just like the cartoon without making it look like the G1 toy. The size of it gave me an idea of how big the 1/2000 Macross would be, except the Macross is almost 1/3 the main gun, so this thing was even bigger if you measure both head to toe. DROOL!

Looks like everyone was in awe and forgot to take pics and video! :blink:

Looks like everyone was in awe and forgot to take pics and video! :blink:

as I said above I have a video, but I and from the posts, it's seems like everyone was beat from the con and knocked out pretty quick and now we're ramping up for an even bigger day. Sunday has always been the main day for the con.

But I have it in glorious HD... I have a new camera and I still have to figure out how to offload video. It aint click and drag, tell you that much.

as I said above I have a video, but I and from the posts, it's seems like everyone was beat from the con and knocked out pretty quick and now we're ramping up for an even bigger day. Sunday has always been the main day for the con.

But I have it in glorious HD... I have a new camera and I still have to figure out how to offload video. It aint click and drag, tell you that much.

Ahh...didn't see the earlier post, so cool deal. Looking forward to seeing all the festivities in all their HD glory.

Ahh...didn't see the earlier post, so cool deal. Looking forward to seeing all the festivities in all their HD glory.

As am I. I was very disappointed to not make it to this years Con. I guess I'll just have to make 2010 the one to go to. It looks like everyone was having a good time.

I want to say thank you to KiriK, EXO, and all staffs for bringing out this event. This was my first attending of MWCon, and I had a very good time. It was nice to meet many MW members and see cool displays. I'm so happy that lots of people loved my Optimus, and got an opportunity to transform it front of everyone. I wanted to attend 2nd day to see custom model contest, but unfortunatelly I could not go. I have to get stuffs ready for San Diego Comic Con.

Anyway I'm already planning for next year's MWCon with another BIG custom project, and it is Macross related this time.

I hope to see you again.

post-6518-1248039059_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039131_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039182_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039223_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039304_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039366_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039415_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039499_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039530_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039556_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039609_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039659_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039681_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039758_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039795_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1248039834_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone that attended, everyone that brought stuff, cake, it was so much fun. Second day started off slow but man... people started showing up late and it was a blast until the end.

Thanks to our sponsors! Overdrive, Hobbylink Japan, ToyHell, Los and his LAFToys stands, Bigbadtoystore, Tokyo Hunter and our very own Save and Otaku2!!!

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to upload videos until next week... I'm so dead tired today and I have 2 days to prepare for SDCC... Lots of big things going on there also (non Macross related! I'll be sure to do an update thread just as I do every year.)

I'll let Kirik post the results of all the contests and raffles. What a major success the con was... specially for a 2 day con.

Thanks to Kirik for organizing, sorry I couldnt help as much this year.

Thanks to the folks at the Japanese Animation Club at UCLA!!! These guys were incredible hosts and awesome people! Their attendees rocked too. They made it so much fun.

See you next year!

Everyone that always say that they regret not coming should start planning now because I have a feeling it's gonna be even bigger next year.

Alright...I'll load up more photos for Day 2 in an hour or so. I want to get some dinner first.

But I do want to thank EXO, Kirik and other Macrossworld staff for setting this up as well as Tim from UCLA Anime Club. This was definitely more epic than last year.

Now I must eat....

Alright...I'll load up more photos for Day 2 in an hour or so. I want to get some dinner first.

But I do want to thank EXO, Kirik and other Macrossworld staff for setting this up as well as Tim from UCLA Anime Club. This was definitely more epic than last year.

Now I must eat....

...panting like a dog in heat for pics :ph34r:

Awesome pics, and good times seeing the old and new people. It was different not seeing some of the regulars around, but for all that showed up, you all helped make it a very special 2 days. Special thanks to the UCLA crew for letting Macrossworld set up and for making it a very organized and fun event. Also, thanks Tommy for the great presentation on Photoshop. Lots of great stuff in there to learn and use. Thanks Bee for the organization and for getting it all together with sponsors, and for cool raffles, thanks NMB4M for the awesome SDF-1 cake, and for all the great karaoke, games, and everything that I didn't get to put a face or name to. Awesome work. We will have some pics up soon.

Alright...Day 2 of MacrossCon09 photos:

post-7534-1248063856_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1248063868_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1248063879_thumb.jpeg

Tommy Yune speaking about the Robotech Shadow Chronicle artwork.

post-7534-1248063894_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1248063907_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1248063920_thumb.jpeg

VF-1 Transformation competition.

post-7534-1248063932_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1248063955_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1248063972_thumb.jpeg

VF-1 Transformation Deathmatch between Miriya (in green) and Mitch for the VF-25 100 Series.

Miriya won but Mitch was excited about the second place prize as well.

post-7534-1248063994_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1248064005_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1248064021_thumb.jpeg

No one was fatally wounded in this year's Transformation competition.

Misa Hayes attended as well.

post-7534-1248064034_thumb.jpeg

More vocal performances.

post-7534-1248064043_thumb.jpeg

The End...(Sign by NightmareB4Macross)

post-7534-1248064067_thumb.jpeg

Again, thanks to the staff of MW putting this together. I'll be attending again next year.

Deculture! :lol:

Official day 2 Recap!

Whew!... I'm so tired and exhausted. Anyone wanna take over for planning MW Con? hahaha....I'm glad everyone had a good time. i don't think i heard too many complaints this year except maybe that i hardly stuck to the original program schedule that i posted. But we did do most everything that i said we would, right?

I wasn't sure how Sunday could top Saturday, but it started off great with a TON of new customs and Macross displays being set up. I think our exhibition displays were better today than they were yesterday! Thanks to everyone who brought out something to share with the attendees: xstoys, Jasonc, Major tom, Maiden Japan, miriya, Mitch, Denversar, Ron5864, NightmareB4Macross, Peter, Egan Loo.... did i forget anyone? that was all from memory, but thanks again for bringing stuff to share

So after everything was set up, we started off the day with a Street Fighter 4 tournament. Big thank you to Ricky for bringing his MAME arcade system on Saturday and PS3 with joysticks today. He ran the whole tournament with a record number of participants at 16. Danny Vo was the winner of the tournament! Thank you to BigBadToyStore for sponsoring this event.

We had some great opportunity drawings throughout the day so thank you to everyone who donated and purchased a ticket. All funds raised will go towards hosting future MW Cons.

Tommy Yune did a panel about his artwork in photoshop which was great look at a professional in the industry sharing how anime is created. Thank you Tommy for sharing your work and for bringing a sample of the Toynami 1/100 Stealth and MPC Rand

We also had our MW Fanart submission contest so thank you to everyone who submitted an entry! We had Grapetang, Polidread, Akt_m, Temjin, and anime52K8. Thanks for submitting great work! I'll post the entries you submitted in another thread. The winner selected by Tommy Yune for best Fanart is Polidread for his valk girl! Honorable mention goes to Akt_m for his amazing 3d work and CG work.

This year's 1/55 Bandai chunky monkey contest was one for the books! We had a full load of contestants that competed head to head in a tournament bracket. Contestants had to transform their 1/55 from Fighter mode, to Battroid and accurately into a fixed pose. Each contestant was timed and the for each error, 3 seconds were added to the overall time. It was a heated battle and the judge was really anal about errors but it was a fair contest. Congrats to Miriya for winning a Vf-100 series VF-25 Ozma donated by HobbyLinkJapan!!! 2nd place went to Mitch who received a bootleg 1/55 for his efforts so he can practice and come back next year.

Our customs contest entries were also great this year! Thank you NightmareB4Macross, Ron5864, Miriya, Orguss, Denversaur, Mitch, and Mechatek for bringing your customs! the contest was decided by 3 judges who ranked their top 5 customs and also a Fan Vote score that everyone who attended could vote for their favorite custom. Points were assigned based on their rank by the judges and by the most popular fan vote custom. Here were the results!

1st place: Ron5864's Macross Frontier Diorama set of a VF-25 and Ranka's rescue scene!

2nd place: NightmareB4Macross' incredible and 100% edible SDF-1 cake!

3rd place: Miriya's smashup custom of a Evagelion Rei in and a Valk thingy-ma-bobber!

Thank you to HobbyLinkJapan for donating a 1/60 v2 VF-1J Canon Fodder as 1st place prize, BigBadToystore gift certificate as 2nd place prize, and LAFToys Flexi-display stand for 3rd place prize.

The day ended with another round of opportunity drawings where our grand prize of a yamato 1/60 Fan Racer model kit was up for grabs! The big winner of the fan racer was Bobby aka sneakers who deserved it since he helped me out so much all weekend with registration and packing up supplies. Thanks bobby!

Oh yea! and we ate NB4M's delicious SDF-1 Cake! Thanks to our cosplayer Misa who dressed up and served us cake!

I had a ton of help from the Japanese Anime Club at UCLA. Thank you to Phillip, Abraham, Tim, and Jessica who were my main volunteers from the club. Big thanks to Abraham for running all the technical stuff and organizing the karaoke!

And thanks to all the volunteers that came to help over the weekend: Ricky, Mindy, Exo, Sneakers, and some folks who just came early or stayed late to help out Phil and Peter. Oh, and that guy Bigkid24 claims he sent some emails to help with this year's con so thanks to him too even though he's out of the country... haha.. bastid

That's MW Con 2009 in a nutshell!! thanks again to all our sponsors and all the attendees. Our sponsors were:

www.over-drive-inc.com

www.HobbyLinkJapan.com

www.Otaku2.com

www.BigBadToystore.com

http://tokyohunter.blogspot.com

Unfortunately, Toyhell was a no show this year, even though we advertised them as a sponsor.

See you next year! (haha... and hopefully i'll just be a regular attendee!! )

Edited by KiriK

Fantastic effort Kirik thankyou for the great review it means alot to me and others who can't be there and really wish we were! :D

That Eva / valk gerwalk is amazing!!!

Love NMB4M's work on the 2 seater rails, please keep working hard on it! :)

That F-14 model looks wicked.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Here's more pics:

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

These were just some of the main ones I got. Hope to see more pics from others. Sorry I couldn't remember who's all these great customes and toys were. So many toys and displays were mingled together, and I'm tired.

Edited by Jasonc

Can someone kind please explain what this custom is for us??

MWCon09Day1103.jpg

I can tell it's the Toynami Beta of course.

It is not a custom, it is an original first test shot from the factory along with my original prototype sculptures and pencil drafts. My name is Daisuke and those are all of my works at Toynami. I brought those pieces to show people how that toy is made. Unlike Bandai, Takara, or Yamato where they design most of their toys in CAD designs on computer then digitally output them on some special machine. We at Toynami was not capable of that technology at the time. I sculped every pieces by hand, using styrene sheets and bondo putties as such, and that's what you see in those gray pieces in picture. After I finished all sculpting I molded each pieces in silicone, then casted them in resin and put together for pant sample. Then we made a set of castings and was sent to Aoshima Company in Japan which helped us engineering for making the injection mold. And that yellow piece is the first test shot from the injection mold produced in factory in China.

Did that answer your question? B))

wow, seriously? You're the one who scultped the Beta?

That's so cool!

I'd love to get one but the shoulder ratchets in my alpha exploded and I can't get support at toynami to answer my emails about getting replacement. :(