Official MacrossWorld Con 2009 Information Thread

Awesome pics!!!!!!!!

MWCon09Day2266-1.jpg

LOL! CUTE!

Sorry i moved the pictures around in my album so here's the new linked picture for your comment.

I finished posting all the pics i took from the con with my camera! Linky is here again:

MacrossWorld Convention 2009 Day 1 Photos

MacrossWorld Convention 2009 Day 2 Photos

I'll post some notable ones here on the thread, but you can check out close to 400 pictures in those 2 albums

Thanks EVERYONE!!!!

I am soooooooooo glad that I drove a total (round trip) of 13 hours to go to this. It was such a blast! It was great to meet everyone and to see all the cool toys and and the contests and the art and the Kereoke, everything. It was fantastic. I am already looking forward to next year and I really hope that we can do it at UCLA again too. It was perfect.

Day 1 notable Pics:

MaidenJapan putting together his 24" Optimus Prime before the con

MWCon09Day1003.jpg

All of the prizes donated from our sponsors and contributors

MWCon09Day1008.jpg

Macross Flyers and coasters donated by Otaku2.com and MW member Save! Each pre-reg attendee received a coaster and 2 flyers of their choice

MWCon09Day1009.jpg

Sample picture of our pre-registration badges, Everyone got a 3" by 4" badge with plastic holder and string lanyard

MWcon09BadgePicture.jpg

Set up of our stage where we hosted Macross Screenings, Artist Panels, Karaoke Contests, and general announcments

MWCon09Day1011.jpg

we had 2 TV's set up, 1 for all day Macross videos and the other for Video games. We had RockBand 2 and Super Smash Bros Brawl on the 2nd TV

MWCon09Day1013.jpg

Our MW Con 09 welcome sign made by NMB4M

MWCon09Day1014.jpg

Former Robotech comic artist Tim Eldred speaks

MWCon09Day1015.jpg

Daisuke transforms his 24" Optimus Prime for everyone!

MWCon09Day1023.jpg

Check out how popular he is

MWCon09Day1028.jpg

We actually had Ranka and Alto cosplayers join us on Saturday!

MWCon09Day1042.jpg

baby plush next to my big custom VF-1J plushie. the baby VF-1S plush was my inspiration for making the big one... hehe

MWCon09Day1097.jpg

Daisuke's prototype Beta for display along with his original drawings

MWCon09Day1105.jpg

Miriya's hangar diorama made by Ron5864

MWCon09Day1108.jpg

Edited by KiriK

Macross Live Art drawing contest in action! contestants had 20 minutes to draw their favorite Macross Mecha or Character along with a background. Daisuke and Tom Bateman even participated!

MWCon09Day1139.jpg

Check out some of the awesome drawings! I'll scan each one later and post it then

MWCon09Day1219.jpg

This is a PaperCraft Madox made by Daisuke which is 100% made of Paper! and scratch built too

MWCon09Day1169.jpg

We had some great Karaoke singers. the girl on the right had an awesome Sheryl anime singing voice!

MWCon09Day1214.jpg

NMB4M shares his cake with a kid. =]

MWCon09Day1227.jpg

Basara joins us for MW Con 09!

MWCon09Day1241.jpg

MWCon09Day1245.jpg

Ken Cho gets crazy singing Dynamite for our Macross Karaoke contest. Ken Cho wins life!

MWCon09Day1242.jpg

And here's the winner of our MW Con Karaoke Contest Lloyd! He had a great rendition of Ranka's birthday song for Alto. AND he knew all the choreography from start to finish. You have to see the video to appreciate it.. haha

MWCon09Day1258.jpg

All our Macross Karaoke Contestants!

MWCon09Day1294.jpg

And the winner Lloyd on the right and Tomo on the left who got 2nd place

MWCon09Day1295.jpg

Notable Day 2 pics

We had all our Customs brought in today with some other great displays! Here's Ron5864's ridiculous Macross Frontier Ranka's Rescue Diorama

MWCon09Day2007.jpg

Tommy Yune hosts a panel about his artwork and working in photoshop

MWCon09Day2017.jpg

Some of the Macross Artwork submitted for the FanArt Contest. Congrats to Polidread for his Itano Circus valk girl that won 1st place!

MWCon09Day2014.jpg

Jasonc's very cool Minmay doll in her Red Chinese Dress which i hear is a production sample and one of the only ones in existence!

MWCon09Day2021.jpg

Denversaur's custom VF-1 Angel Bird Custom

MWCon09Day2031.jpg

Mechatek's Destroidi Phalanx custom

MWCon09Day2030.jpg

xstoys brings only a very small portion of his impressive collection to share this year. Original Yamato Macross Helmet and Shoulder Armor

MWCon09Day2041.jpg

xstoys collection, those are 1/48 resin kits of the VF-19 and VF-22

MWCon09Day2042.jpg

original LV purple minmay guard scheme Thunder Hammer!

MWCon09Day2044.jpg

We had 3 thunder hammers in the house this year!!! here's EXO's original TH, i brought mine but it was just plain... haha

MWCon09Day2049.jpg

Major Tom brought his REALLY cool patlabor figure. It's amazingly awesome with all the gimmicks it has

MWCon09Day2036.jpg

Tommy Yune brought the new SDCC exclusive VF-1S steath valk for display. Haha, i showed him Yamato's 25th Anniversary VF-1S valk which he saw for the first time at the con he said... haha

MWCon09Day2053.jpg

Edited by KiriK

I had no clue if anyone was gonna bring stuff for display, so i ended bringing most of my personal collection of stock Macross toys to display at the con. I love displaying my toys so i brought a bunch of acrylic clear bases to set up my display. I think i did a decent job displaying my stuff... no?

MWCon09Day2056.jpg

MWCon09Day2057.jpg

MWCon09Day2061.jpg

All my toys!

MWCon09Day2059.jpg

MWCon09Day2062.jpg

And i have a TON of pictures from our 1/55 Bandai VF-1 Transformation contest. We had 8 contestants that were seeded in a tournament bracket, head to head. the 1st round, i had them change from Fighter to Battroid with fixed arm poses. We timed each contestant and added 3 seconds for every error on their valk after they placed it on the table. It was really exciting! Can't wait to see the photos. I had a good time being the judge.. hehe

Orguss vs NMB4M

MWCon09Day2064.jpg

MWCon09Day2067.jpg

Check out how much detail i put into judging each valk!

MWCon09Day2072.jpg

Tim from JAC vs Mitch from MW. Tim transformed a 1/55 for the 1st time that day... haha... guess who won?

MWCon09Day2080.jpg

xstoys vs Jasonc. Game time!!!

MWCon09Day2099.jpg

Oh!!! that head antennae wasn't pointed straight up!! +3 seconds for you sucka!!

MWCon09Day2123.jpg

Round 2, i had contestants transform from Battroid to Gerwalk with REALLY funky fixed posed arms

Miriya vs NMB4M

MWCon09Day2144.jpg

MWCon09Day2152.jpg

haha... man that judge was pretty anal wasn't he?? haha

MWCon09Day2161.jpg

Mitch vs xstoys... what a showdown!

MWCon09Day2166.jpg

MWCon09Day2169.jpg

and for our final championship round, i had the contestants go from Battroid back to fighter mode in a test of speed an accuracy!

Miriya vs Mitch for the championship!

MWCon09Day2215.jpg

did he get it just right?

MWCon09Day2223.jpg

And the winner with a blazing time of 28.8 seconds is Miriya!!! Haha... he had been practicing all week for this and it paid off.

MWCon09Day2224.jpg

1st place price was a VF100's VF-25 Ozma valk donated by HobbyLinkJapan. Congrats Miriya

MWCon09Day2240.jpg

Check out our Misa cosplayer!

MWCon09Day2247.jpg

And she's good at serving cake too! haha... i like how NMB4M volunteered her to cut it for everyone

MWCon09Day2252.jpg

Here's a picture of our Customs contest winners! Ron for his diorama won 1st, NMB4M won 2nd for his cake, and Miriya won 3rd for his EvaValk

MWCon09Day2250.jpg

Ron wins 1st place in the customs contest!!!

MWCon09Day2268.jpg

And boy was that cake good!! This picture is especially for you Save!! I tried to save you a piece, but thems hogs ate it all.. haha

MWCon09Day2297.jpg

That's all my commentary for my pics!!! Hope you guys had a good time and enjoyed yourself. Now to take a vacation from coordinating the con and time to pass the torch! Any volunteers? =]

Of course thank you Kirik, UCLA, >EXO< and all the organizers of the event. It was actually much more fun than I thought it would be.

Next year will be the 10th con right? I hope that we get some more travelers coming from all over the world for that one! The more the merrier!

That was the most fun thing for me all weekend. I think I still have a rush from all that transforming! There was a lot of talent there. Thanks everyone. ANd of course, Thank you HLJ!

I really wanted to participate this year too, but judging was also pretty fun! Next year if you're around, let's have an exhibition match! I want to challenge the reigning champion, haha

I really wanted to participate this year too, but judging was also pretty fun! Next year if you're around, let's have an exhibition match! I want to challenge the reigning champion, haha

Awesome!!! I am excited about that.

I loved the transforming contest, the live drawing contest and the custom contests and hope that we continue those next year. Also I know that people got a lot of enjoyment from the video game contests and the karaoke contests.

An idea I just had for a potential (additional) contest is a YAMATO v.2 1/60 posing contest for who can make the coolest pose.

I hope to see you all and a lot more people next year for the 10th anniversary convention.

Thanks all of you for posting pictures.

Buckettron Megahead got some good pics too and I will try to post some of those on this thread when I get a chance.

Edited by miriya

It is not a custom, it is an original first test shot from the factory along with my original prototype sculptures and pencil drafts. My name is Daisuke and those are all of my works at Toynami. I brought those pieces to show people how that toy is made. Unlike Bandai, Takara, or Yamato where they design most of their toys in CAD designs on computer then digitally output them on some special machine. We at Toynami was not capable of that technology at the time. I sculped every pieces by hand, using styrene sheets and bondo putties as such, and that's what you see in those gray pieces in picture. After I finished all sculpting I molded each pieces in silicone, then casted them in resin and put together for pant sample. Then we made a set of castings and was sent to Aoshima Company in Japan which helped us engineering for making the injection mold. And that yellow piece is the first test shot from the injection mold produced in factory in China.

Did that answer your question? B))

Yes mate thank you! and congratulations! :) Nice work!

Awesome!!! I am excited about that.

I loved the transforming contest, the live drawing contest and the custom contests and hope that we continue those next year. Also I know that people got a lot of enjoyment from the video game contests and the karaoke contests.

Well the transforming contest is a returner from last year, and the customs contest is a mainstay of the con dating back I think since the con began. Nice to see the live drawing contest worked out so well. That's one that I was hoping to see in person.

Keep the suggestions coming so we can make next year's even better!

Thanks Kirik for putting the photos with commentaries and hosting the much more intense 09Con. And being an "anal" Transformation judge made the contest much more tense and comical. I thought someone was going to lose a finger transforming the valk at blinding speeds.

Being so tired after the event last night, I forgot to thank the sponsors (like HLJ) and special guests (Tommy Yune, Daisuke and so on) for coming over to speak and participate.

Also, having it at UCLA was a good location with good facilities and atmosphere. Even though parking was a little pricey, I hope we can do it again here.

I will bring some more Macross items from my collection for next year's Con as well.

Also...thanks everyone for voting for my Macross Frontier: Ranka's Rescue diorama. I will enjoy the Yamato cannon fodder 1/60 VF-1J and it will make a return next year as a display piece. ^_^

Have you guys tried a 1/48 transformation tourney? lol i got owned, after there was a false start mind you!!! 1st go i was flying, duh! the dude forgot to press the timer. >_<

next time i might actually practice lol.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Jasonc's very cool Minmay doll in her Red Chinese Dress which i hear is a production sample and one of the only ones in existence!

MWCon09Day2021.jpg

You are correct Sir. That is the actual one that is looked over by BW, once approved all the mass produced ones are based on it. We used Jasonc's Minmay for a review and it was given to me as a thank you and under the condition it is never to be sold and must stay with the owner of the reviewed doll. I know she is in good hands!!

Edited by Save

My thanks to all that helped host this event and that were able to come and share the fun. My weekend was crazy and I almost didn't make it, but I was able to drive up from San Diego and hang out for a few hours on Saturday before driving back to SD. It was definitely worth the drive to meet up with some of the great people from MW in person, seen some very impressive custom works and just hang out with other Macross fans. I was really impressed with those paper-only models because unless you really looked closely they looked just like any of the other models.

For any of you that will be heading down to San Diego for ComicCon, maybe I'll see you there :D

The kits, the toys, the figures, the books & video displays, the cosplayers, the games, the crowds, the smiles on everyone's faces ! thanks everyone for sharing the pictures and event coverage reviews!

It looks like a very pleasant success !

i thought the digital drawing contest was gonna be judged by MacrossWorld regulars

so i didnt expect the old VFZero girl to be of any surprise to them...

and besides, the other submissions are really nice too

Guys&Girls, keep the artworks flowing !

but wow, Tommy Yune ! that made this win more unexpected.

really, thanks! im a fan of his Speed Racer comics a few years back,

so this is really sweet that he picked my stuff !

im glad i had some sort of participation in this year's MWC after all !

Congrats to everyone involved!

Edited by polidread

Trying to post pictures from the con but got this message....

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5120 bytes) in /home/macrossw/public_html/mwf/sources/components_public/gallery/lib/lib_image.php on line 430"