Official MacrossWorld Con 2009 Information Thread

I AM COMING!!!!

I am sorry but you sorry people are going to have to put up with me in person!!!

I guess that I am quite excited.

Kirik, can you renew my previously cancelled registration?

Also Kirik, should I bring my Ron diorama? it is about 18 inches cube. Is there safe space for that in addition to my two customs? the customs are small, each fit on a single mechanical chain base.

And I want to enter the transformation contest.

See you all soon.

peace....

Cool that you can make it again Miriya.

I am kinda wondering also if I bring my diorama on Saturday, can I leave it there over night?

You guys are welcome to bring your displays on Saturday as well, but unfortunately you can't leave your stuff overnight at this location at UCLA. I wouldn't trust leaving my customs anywhere. We should have plenty of space to display everyone's collections so bring whatever you can!!!

Just a notice to all potential attendees. Pre-registration will CLOSE Friday at 12pm Pacific Standard Time!

No more pre-registrations will be taken after that time. You can still attend the con, you just won't get a really cool printed name badge and a free opportunity drawing ticket and free macross goodies.

I'll also need some volunteers to help run the registration table on both days if you are willing. I have some cool items to give out to volunteers so PM me or email me if you are interested in volunteering to help on other day.

thanks!

Good news to all the fan art contest folks! I'm extending the deadline for the Art submission contest until Saturday night, 8pm PST. I have a few submissions already, but I can extend it and print out your artwork on Saturday Night for Sunday's judging.

Keep on working on those Fan Art submissions and send them to MWCon09@gmail.com

Cool that you can make it again Miriya.

I am kinda wondering also if I bring my diorama on Saturday, can I leave it there over night?

Thanks. I am glad to be able to make it and look forward to meeting you.

You guys are welcome to bring your displays on Saturday as well, but unfortunately you can't leave your stuff overnight at this location at UCLA. I wouldn't trust leaving my customs anywhere. We should have plenty of space to display everyone's collections so bring whatever you can!!!

Hmmmmm.... Well will my stuff be safe if I drop it off at the beginning of the con, leave for a bit in the middle of the day and pick it up at the end of the day? Sorry if that is a stupid question. I want to bring some of my favorite stuff but I dont want to have to stand over it all day.

shaping up to be a legendary con!!!! :D

Wish you were here!

i havent been reading this damn thread coz i know im so gonna be envious of all those who are attending !

im gonna stay home, sulk and hug my VFGirls YF19 & 21 costumes... XD

haha... your costumes are frickin awesome! Wish we could see those in person some day.

Miriya, your display items will be safe to display all day at the con. We'll have the display area roped off so nobody can touch the figures or displays. So you can set up and leave it there for the whole day and pick it up later.

As for parking, the pass is good all day so you can come in and out. However, they also give you a key card to open up the gate to get into the parking lot which i'm not 100% positive that you get to keep for the whole day, or if it takes it once you use it. I'm pretty sure it spits it back out once the gate opens so you can take it with you and use it again later. But I am sure that the pass you get is for the whole day.

Here's what's posted on UCLA's website:

* You will receive a two-part permit from the attendant at the Information & Parking Booth.

* The permit portion will be placed on your window or dashboard by the attendant.

* The second part, the gate-access card, will be handed to you by the attendant.

* When you reach your parking entrance, simply insert the gate-access card into the reader and the gate will rise.

* Before leaving your car, make certain your permit is prominently displayed on the dashboard under your front window.

Sorry i don't have more details than that

Remember that deadline for Pre-registration ends TODAY at 12pm Pacific Standard Time! So for those that haven't sent me a registration email yet, you only have 4 hours and 10 minutes left to do so.

Thanks!

haha... your costumes are frickin awesome! Wish we could see those in person some day.

Miriya, your display items will be safe to display all day at the con. We'll have the display area roped off so nobody can touch the figures or displays. So you can set up and leave it there for the whole day and pick it up later.

As for parking, the pass is good all day so you can come in and out. However, they also give you a key card to open up the gate to get into the parking lot which i'm not 100% positive that you get to keep for the whole day, or if it takes it once you use it. I'm pretty sure it spits it back out once the gate opens so you can take it with you and use it again later. But I am sure that the pass you get is for the whole day.

Here's what's posted on UCLA's website:

* You will receive a two-part permit from the attendant at the Information & Parking Booth.

* The permit portion will be placed on your window or dashboard by the attendant.

* The second part, the gate-access card, will be handed to you by the attendant.

* When you reach your parking entrance, simply insert the gate-access card into the reader and the gate will rise.

* Before leaving your car, make certain your permit is prominently displayed on the dashboard under your front window.

Sorry i don't have more details than that

Thanks KiriK!

Well it looks like I won't be attending like I thought. A package of books that was the linchpin of my attendance did not arrive today, and unless it appears on my doorstep first thing tomorrow then I won't be coming. Sorry, but the books in that box, my book, were the primary reason I was going to attend. Somehow I doubt that anyone will care if I just bring my "con disks," which just have the book electronically, with some additional tech articles, dossiers, and other surprises. My son is really the one who loses out though, I was going to give away copies of the book to any attendee who donated towards his care fund.

Can't wait for tomorrow. I'll only be there till about 5:30, but I'll have my stuff packed up tonight to bring. See everyone tomorrow.

Hey jason.

Can u bring ur bandai dx valks? I don't know anyone else who has them that is coming. Can't wait to see ur stuff!

hi, I'm one of the people from Japanese Anime Club @ UCLA that'll be helping out for the event

after skimming through 12 pages of this forum, I've noticed a great deal of enthusiasm

I hope we don't fall short to everyone's expectations XD

to address some re-occurring questions and concerns I see:

parking: finding street parking won't be so easy so I highly advise you to be prepared to use paid parking

as someone above already mentioned, the local parking enforcement people are like ninjas so don't push your luck

food: we have quite a number of places to eat at Ackerman Union

Panda Express, Rubios, Taco Bell, Calrs Jr, Jamba Juice, etc

don't worry, they are no where near as expensive and/or a rip off as Los Angeles Convention Center =p

well, see you all at the convention!

I'm packing up all my stuff getting ready to bring it to the con right now. After talking to some of the JAC members, it seems we may be short on volunteers to help out during the con this year.

For anyone who wants to volunteer at least 2 hours at the con will get some extra Macross goodies. When you register at the con, please let me know if you'd like to volunteer on either day.

See you all tomorrow!

food: we have quite a number of places to eat at Ackerman Union

Panda Express, Rubios, Taco Bell, Calrs Jr, Jamba Juice, etc

don't worry, they are no where near as expensive and/or a rip off as Los Angeles Convention Center =p

Oh just rub it in! The one set back to living in Japan is all that great bad fast food!!!!

Alright guys, got home from work awhile ago, and have the goodies packed up. Save, Minmay has her Chinese dress, and it looks awesome. I'm sure many pics will be taken. I also have Paper monster, the Banpresto figs, and I will bring the Gamlin VF-22 for those who haven't seen that. Also, let me know if anyone wants me to bring my posters. Probably not as extensive as some, but they are always nice to look at.

Alright guys, got home from work awhile ago, and have the goodies packed up. Save, Minmay has her Chinese dress, and it looks awesome. I'm sure many pics will be taken. I also have Paper monster, the Banpresto figs, and I will bring the Gamlin VF-22 for those who haven't seen that. Also, let me know if anyone wants me to bring my posters. Probably not as extensive as some, but they are always nice to look at.

Yes bring it all!!! Today's the day! woot woot, Hope to see you all there

someone bring a laptop and usb for a camera so whoever has their camera can bring us hourly update for those who are out of state, pretty please

Excellent idea Kicker. Some sort of twitter page might have been cool to for those attending to tweet throughout the con.

Here are some photos from Day 1 of MacrossCon09 festival.

Lots more people, stuff and energy this year it seems. Lots more stuff to give away. In the confusion, I actually forgot to take any of the free stuff. Darn! :angry:

post-7534-1247978643_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1247978662_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1247978675_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1247978690_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1247978700_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1247978708_thumb.jpeg

Awesome displays guys. Wish I could've been there longer, but I had work. I will be bringing my stuff tomorrow, along with some other stuff. Can't wait to see more pics.

I'm so beat but it was a lot of fun.... Was kinda worried there because most of the locals went out of town and it was a whole new crowd, but I had a good time. As soon as I got there, there were so many things going on it was really busy nonstop for a couple of hours. Sold a lot of shirts and didn't even get to put the thunderhammer together.. barely had enough time to get some grub.

I got a good video of Maiden Japan transforming the Big Ass Optimus Prime and the Karaoke Singers. Our winner was something else. It was so funny. He did the Ranka song... I forgot what it's called but it when Michel dropped Ranka off on that planet were there was a Zentradi uprising, and the guy did the whole dance. I was cracking up the whole time. I hope it was meant to be funny. And you haven't seen Macross Karaoke until you see Gubaba sing like Bobby. Plus as a surprise guest we had Basara stop by! Awesome!

JAC @ UCLA had a bunch of great helpers and I couldn't believe how much raffle tickets people were buying. They were flying like pancakes.

Can't wait for tomorrow, Ron will bring his diorama and the geat MWC custom contest will be judged. And we cut up the SDF-1 cake!!! Woohoo!

Thanks to everyone that introduced themselves to me... I hope to see you again tomorrow, if not... see you next year!

Like EXO said, it was lots of fun.

Here are the second set of photos from Day 1. From the photos, you can almost feel the thrill of victory and passion in the room. :lol:

post-7534-1247980707_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1247980718_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1247980730_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1247980738_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1247980748_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1247980757_thumb.jpeg

Can't wait for Day 2.

Recap of Day 1 of MacrossWorld Convention 2009!

What an amazing 1st day to indeed the most epic convention we've ever hosted! I saw so many new faces and was happy that the room was full of awesome Macross fans from wall to wall. Me and my set up crew, Abraham and Phillipp from JAC at UCLA spent the early morning hours setting up the room for the con. By 12pm, we already have several people wanting to enter and register for the con. Maiden Japan and NightmareB4Macross came early to bring the awesome SDF-1 cake and set up their amazing custom displays. NB4M brought his custom 1/48 VF-X valk and prototype 1/48 seaters. Maiden Japan brought his out-of-this-world 2 foot Optimus Prime custom, his original prototype of the Toynami Beta, AND a ridiculously detailed paper craft Madox.

We set up the stage area and Modcineaste was our Macross DJ for the whole day spinning our favorite Macross tracks on his awesome vintage vinyls. We had Macross Screenings running of DYRL, Macross Plus, Frontier, and Macross 2 playing all day. We had RockBand 2 set up, a MAME system hooked up to a projector which we were playing arcade Street Fighter Alpha 3. There were great displays of toys and custom work AND pictures and artwork. Just a great setup with great people coming in and out. I'm highly looking forward to tomorrow!

Here's a recap of the events that happened throughout the day

Video Game Tourney - Street Fighter Alpha 3: Winner - 1st: Ken Cho, 2nd: ME!!! Kirik

Open Mic Karaoke with lots of people singing random Macross and Anime Tunes

Artist Panel with Tim Eldred

Maiden Japan transforms his gigantic Optimus Prime

Video Game Tourney - Super Smash Bros Brawl: Winner - 1st: Abraham, 2nd: Ken Cho, 3rd: Michael, 4th: Phillipp

In Person live Art Contest - Winner - 1st Place: Mitch, 2nd: Maiden Japan, 3rd: Ken Cho

Macross Karaoke Contest - Winner - 1st: Loyd, 2nd: Tomo

The Live Art Contest was a fantastic event with over 10 participants. We gave everyone a sheet of paper and a pencil and gave them a 20 minute time limit to draw their favorite Macross Mecha or character AND create a background for the picture. Contestants whipped out some amazing artwork that i'll scan and post after the con, but we saw some great artists!

Macross Karaoke was a HUGE success with about 10 different contestants! We heard songs from the original Macross series, mac 7, Frontier and more. Like EXO said, the winner was very entertaining with his accurate Ranka Lee choreography. The video will speak for itself when you see it! Our 2nd place winner Tomo had an amazing anime voice and sounded just like Sheryl Nome singing a popular Mac Frontier song. I had no idea if this was going to work out or not, but big thanks to Abraham, Phillip, and EXO who helped put together the song list for karaoke! It was highly entertaining!

I'm too tired to post pictures but will do so after the con. Too bad i don't have a web cam to post live from the con, but i plan on doing a walk through tomorrow with a camera and narrating what the con experience looks like for those that can't attend. This was definitely one of the most enjoyable cons i've hosted. thanks to everyone that helped out today! See you tomorrow