Official MacrossWorld Con 2009 Information Thread

schedule is in the works rite now, but we have a lot of cool contests and activities planned. the UCLA Anime club is going to be involved too. Macross Karaoke!!!

I have some instrumentals of some of the Macros TV music. Please let me know if you guys need them.

Edited by MacrossMan

relation"shipper", someone who wants a relationship to occur between characters of a show. Personnaly I would prefer some Sheryl and Ranka strippers, but this is a family event, lol.

Too bad...that idea is GOLD!

Is it ok to bring my 24 inch Optimus Prime to MW Con?

I know it's not Macross related, but EXO insisted me so... :rolleyes:

Dude...bring it.

And then, wen everything's quiet, say (very loudly), "'Scuse me while I whip out my 24-inch Optimus Prime!" and see what kind of looks you get. ^_^

Me, I'm hoping someone with A LOT of Hasaegawas to sell shows up...(hint, hint).

I have some instrumentals of some of the Macros TV music. Please let me know if you guys need them.

I think we already have those from the Macross The Complete Collections.

They even had Frontier Karaoke at the UCLA Anime Club. When we went to meet the club committee, it was Karaoke night and there were 2 japanese girls singing the opening theme with the Ranka and Sheryl duet. It was pretty awesome.

Even more of a reason to go. I'm assuming with more people from the UCLA anime club, and with MW members, this is gonna be a large turnout. I sent my registration along with my wife. We'll be going.

In regards to the Sheryl/Ranka duet, bring it!!! That's a selling point right there. Any cosplay this year?

Is it ok to bring my 24 inch Optimus Prime to MW Con?

I know it's not Macross related, but EXO insisted me so... :rolleyes:

did Kawamori design Convoy as part of the old Diaclone set of toys? if yes, then he's Macross-related (in a very far-removed cousin sort of relation)

Your smart remarks isn't helping either. I was just trying to help him but I sense hostility from his comments.

Anyways, this is about Macross not some reality show where adults who collect toys goes out on a brawl!

Actually that was a deserved remark because the post was already answered a whole day before your response that by the exclamation point, wasn't really trying to be helpful as it was more to make him look foolish. Yes I got all that from a punctuation. And yes, my smart remarks DO help as it is a nicer way to tell you guys to STFU. This thread is a link provided in the flyers for people to get more info on the Con, so having to put up with your petty little grudges acts as a detraction for people that has never been on MW. Take further comments about this and any topics unrelated to the con to PM please.

did Kawamori design Convoy as part of the old Diaclone set of toys? if yes, then he's Macross-related (in a very far-removed cousin sort of relation)

Yes, Kawamori-san was involved in design of Optimus prime-battle Convoy and many other robots from Diaclone series.

In 2006, he designed Hybrid-Style Convoy figure for Takara.

post-6518-1244151901_thumb.jpg

Yes, Kawamori-san was involved in design of Optimus prime-battle Convoy and many other robots from Diaclone series.

In 2006, he designed Hybrid-Style Convoy figure for Takara.

You're ultimate Prime is the craziest custom ever... haha... too bad it can't be entered into our Macross Customs Contest... BUT maybe you can be inspired to create a custom Macross project to enter into this year's contest...

Details for Customs Contest, Poker Tournament, Art Contest, Transforming Contest, Video Game Tourneys, and Trivia Contest soon to come!!!! haha... thanks for your patience everyone...

I should be putting together a tentative schedule of events soon too...

Wow, we have a good amount of people registered for the Con already so hopefully this will be a great event! What do you guys think of a Fan Art Contest?

I'm thinking of having 2 categories: 1st is open to all members of MW that can submit entries prior to the con like Best original Macross artwork via online and we'll judge it at the con... 2nd is a live fan art contest where people compete and try to sketch something or a subject at the Con and we judge it as well

The 2nd portion is to give members of the UCLA anime club that attend a chance to participate since they aren't part of the boards. Any thoughts or suggestions on rules for the contest? Or suggestions for topics or subjects to draw?

This is definitely a first for MW Con so i'm trying to make it as exciting as possible. =]

Speaking of registration. Were we supposed to get a confirmation email back? I sent MWcon09@gmail.com an email a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Lance. I got your registration. I haven't sent any email confirmations yet but if you've emailed mwcon09@gmail.com with your info, then i've gotten it. I'll send out more detailed information about the con to registered attendees as the con gets closer.

Since the con is FREE this year, i haven't had to deal with paypal and payments so that's why I haven't been sending confirmation emails. I should start doing so though. thanks!

Well, it's nine dollars to park... or free parking if you can find a street spot and don't mind the walk. But that's UCLA, not the con. Plus this year it's buy your own food. There are several restaurants just outside the rooms, so you can choose what you want to eat... no mandatory Costco pizza!

Kirik and EXO, what was the highest charge you had to kill overheads with per member not including donations/support if it's cool that i ask? Interesting.

Have you guys ever thought about hiring a proper cinema to run a Macross marathon of soughts?

was a bit hard to get around the 2300 overhead we had with Mac Aus Con 09' but was totally worth it, i hope you guys try for it sometime in the future! :)

I'd love to do it again, but will try to get the biggest screen i can get, but i feel this will be mixed anime marathon including many different fandoms

like Gurren Lagaan and even EVA. Cinemas make you pay for the whole maximum seating capacity lol. Nuts!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hi Ruskii,

We've had Macross movie/anime showings at the cons before and we've gotten away with using a projector on a 100" screen and high quality videos. This year we're setting it up in a separate room that we can arrange any way we like so costs are minimal.

As for the free con, I've been working hard connecting the UCLA Anime Club since they are able to reserve rooms for free for events they host. It is free not only for members of MacrossWolrd, but for anyone who even happens to walk by. We're trying to introduce some new fans to Macross. Of course we'll beefen up security around our Macross displays, but there will always be a core group MW'ers hanging around.

As EXO mentioned, parking is the only issue as it's $9/day. There are also metered parking spots if you only plan on staying a few hours, but they charge $3/hour. I'll post a map of UCLA and point out exactly where the con is later.

In other good news, we've gotten a few more replies from sponsors that i'll announce once i've confirmed them!

And the highest amount i believe that was ever charged for a Con was back in 2005 when they charged a mandatory $20 to purchase a CD from Mari Iijima who was a guest that year.

In 2007, Mari also returned and we had different levels of pre-registration fees to cover costs of her attendance. We've also been fortunate in booking free locations each year to keep costs down. Location, Location, Location is always the 1st step to booking a con as you know, so if you can work at getting it for free or low costs, then there's no need to charge registration fees unless you want to profit from it... =P or buy pizza like we used to.... haha

I don't think there's an advantage for us renting a cinema. We have access to different projectors and can set up screening rooms but I wouldn't know what we would screen. We probably have seen everything out there individually and screening will take up too much time from getting to know your fellow Macross fans. If there was something special that we would love to show Macross fans then maybe it'll be worth making a screening room, such as an early copy of the Frontier Movie.

And yes. Make sure to bring money for parking and food.

Hi Ruskii,

We've had Macross movie/anime showings at the cons before and we've gotten away with using a projector on a 100" screen and high quality videos. This year we're setting it up in a separate room that we can arrange any way we like so costs are minimal.

As for the free con, I've been working hard connecting the UCLA Anime Club since they are able to reserve rooms for free for events they host. It is free not only for members of MacrossWolrd, but for anyone who even happens to walk by. We're trying to introduce some new fans to Macross. Of course we'll beefen up security around our Macross displays, but there will always be a core group MW'ers hanging around.

As EXO mentioned, parking is the only issue as it's $9/day. There are also metered parking spots if you only plan on staying a few hours, but they charge $3/hour. I'll post a map of UCLA and point out exactly where the con is later.

In other good news, we've gotten a few more replies from sponsors that i'll announce once i've confirmed them!

And the highest amount i believe that was ever charged for a Con was back in 2005 when they charged a mandatory $20 to purchase a CD from Mari Iijima who was a guest that year.

In 2007, Mari also returned and we had different levels of pre-registration fees to cover costs of her attendance. We've also been fortunate in booking free locations each year to keep costs down. Location, Location, Location is always the 1st step to booking a con as you know, so if you can work at getting it for free or low costs, then there's no need to charge registration fees unless you want to profit from it... =P or buy pizza like we used to.... haha

I don't think there's an advantage for us renting a cinema. We have access to different projectors and can set up screening rooms but I wouldn't know what we would screen. We probably have seen everything out there individually and screening will take up too much time from getting to know your fellow Macross fans. If there was something special that we would love to show Macross fans then maybe it'll be worth making a screening room, such as an early copy of the Frontier Movie.

And yes. Make sure to bring money for parking and food.

Awesome response thanks very much Kirik and EXO! :):D This means alot to me cheers, i'll try harder to get costs down for next years aussie con. :D

And yeah Macross Frontier movie!

Yeah we will try and hire a kick ass projection an screen for viewings, we want to have a two day con for years to come, 1 day just isn't enough. :/

Plus we wanted the first ever Mac Aus Con to be a one off Cinema hire, so i think everyone knows that and we'll have a much bigger attendence next year.

I think by the time we would like to hire a cinema again there would be a new series out by then or an OVA. :D

Also yeah you guys got Mari around twice!!! Damn, i envy you lot, she's amazing.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

It is free not only for members of MacrossWolrd, but for anyone who even happens to walk by. We're trying to introduce some new fans to Macross.

This is great. I'm really excited about this year's con. It seems to get bigger every time I go.

Naturally, I cannot attend due to it being way to expensive to fly across the world to California - although I do have an ex-girlfriend there whose ass I'd love to kick, so it might be worth it to combine the two... err... but back on topic:

I wanted to give a shout out of mega super love approval to WHOEVER is behind that AWESOME poster on the Macrossworld main page - with the YF-19, VF-25F, the Valk Girl - everything all coming together so well - it's a really outstanding poster and looks GREAT!

Everybody have fun!

Pete