Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

Don't think 50k yen is that bad of a price for an item that will be the center piece of most Macross collections. As previous posters said, the exchange rate will make it a bargain or not. Yes, its a load of money to spend on a toy but everything is relative. I know comic collectors who will spend double or more without blinking on commision pieces. And don't get me started on other hobbies like boats or classic cars.

I would also imagine this is more realistically a 1 time purchase, maybe two if they do a full blown TV version. I'm sure someone out there would buy 4 if they came out with both versions so they could showcase it in all modes. BUT for most of us that would buy it, one is plenty sufficient. It's not like valks which seem to compel people to buy multiples.

We will begin construction of a new display case. We will work day and night. Start right now. :lol:

An obscure quote from an old Mecha Kong movie. I replaced "Mecha Kong" with "display case."

Seriously though, it will be nice to have a special display cabinet for this thing. I'm thinking special cases for traditional model ships will work great, but the cases I've been looking at can be around $200 by itself. :blink:

"cheap" is really relative.

Back when I was still living in the Pearl of the Orient,

I would never have thought of buying a 100 dollar toy

which was about half of my monthly salary. Now I have

3 valks! And I'm just starting. :lol:

I think the price is quite steep. But for the

price of 3 to 4 valks, I think it is quite cheap.

I still think folks are blowing the size and price of this Yammie SDF-1 way outta proportion.

If our estimates in this thread are correct, then this thing will be a little over two feet long.

Factoring in that about a third of that length will be taken up by the main cannons, I'm still guessing that the Macross from "head" to toe (NOT tip of main cannons to toes) will only be a few inches taller than your standard 1/48 Battroid Valk.

This is not gonna be a behemoth that just overpowers and towers over everything in your display case. Granted it's gonna be big. But it's not gonna be USS Flagg big or anything.

More like something along the lines of the BMF (Big Mutha F.....erm, Big Millenium Falcon), perhaps?

As for price, I think most folks are getting a little too overzealous, estimating the price of this at $400 to $500, or even $1000(!!!) :blink:

If I was negotiating with Yamato over this Macross, I'd open up negotiations with a price of $250.

Although it's still 8 to 9 inches smaller than the Yammie Macross, the Toynami Alpha/Beta combo sells for around $230 retail ($150 for the Beta, $80 for the Alpha). So given the SDF-1's larger size, I think $250 would be a low, yet somewhat reasonable, price point to start negotiations at. Granted there's quality comparsion issues in my example and other factors to consider, but this would be my STARTING price.

Heck, if I wanted to be uber-stubborn, I could say that the BMF is roughly the same size as this SDF-1 and only sells for around $100 to $150.

As a community of BUYERS in these situations, it still amazes me how quickly folks willingly and voluntarily estimate up the price of these things. It's almost like walking into a used car lot and flat out telling the dealer that you're willing to pay $3,000 more than the sticker price!

So I say, start off offering $250, see what Yamato comes back with, compromise, negotiate, and then try to meet somewhere in the middle in terms of price. Chances are the price will probably be above $250. But we'd get a much better price using this method than the stupid speculative method going on in this thread.

Factoring in that about a third of that length will be taken up by the main cannons, I'm still guessing that the Macross from "head" to toe (NOT tip of main cannons to toes) will only be a few inches taller than your standard 1/48 Battroid Valk.

A 'few' inches make the big difference. With the main cannon, this thing will be twice as tall as 1/48 Battroid VF-1 with fast pack.

I'm with Mog. Also, you gotta consider that engineering factors into a lot of these toys' prices, and the Macross does not have an extremely complex transformation or anything.

I'm with Mog. Also, you gotta consider that engineering factors into a lot of these toys' prices, and the Macross does not have an extremely complex transformation or anything.

I said the same thing here...

Honestly I'm guessing it's gonna be $240. People panic so much about the cost.

Basing my assumption on the same things Mog said. The Alpha/Combo. The Macross seems like a big toy in Macross standards but not compared to other toys and even if you factor in that Macross is not as popular and Yamato is not as big as a company as say... Takara/Tomy... I don't think the price would multiply by that much. If you compare the Starscream or the Toynami Veritechs to the 1/48 the price difference isnt that substantial. Well it is... but not exponential as the prices people are saying the Macross would be.

I'm not going to get rid of my WAVE. First of all - I got it when the exchange rate was fairly good - from BBTS on top of that so "more expensive" in dollars, but the dollar was so cheap back then that hey - whatever - it was worth it.

I wouldn't get such a good deal on it today - let alone in future.

Plus, it would be kind of silly to put my CMS Lyn Minmey in front of a 1/2000 SDF-1.... they just wouldn't comport well together. Also, it helps having a miniature version for various photographic scenes.

The 1/2000 would be good for scenes where a "huge Macross in the Background" is needed. Also, the inclusion of little 1/2000 valkyrie and Destroids (I'm sure they'll give us Destroids) is a big plus.

However - there IS one big MINUS:

I'm not getting the 1/2000 unless we get a TV Version, or at least until it is confirmed that there is a seperate set where Daedelus and Prometheus can be bought.

I understand why they went with DYRL - but DYRL's not as fun as sticking Daedelus and Prometheus on...

Besides - at that scale, it would be nice to have an army of Destroids who could participate in the Daedelus attack.

Can't really have a Daedelus Attack without the Daedelus.

And one last point:

This thing better not be at the same level as Yamato's Quied Raus. Aka "looks good" but does absolutely NOTHING and just costs a lot of money because it's a Quied Rau.

I want this thing - at this scale - to have opening hatches revealing inner details of the (TV) city. I want the capacity for Daedelus attack.

I want all of those 1/2000 VF-1s to have magnets at the bottom thank to which you can attach them to the launch strips on the ARMD I and II.

If it turns out that this is just one big fat chunk of plastic with a transformation that is more simplistic than the WAVE - then I'm out.

I want it to be as chock full of features as the new Yamato Ingram 1/24 seems to be (although - it's pretty much akin to CMS's old movie Ingram in terms of features).

The high price and large scale are fine if - within those ramifications - we get an SDF-1 that offers more than just a "pretty display piece" but also has interactive features.

Obviously the "battroid" mode of this thing is not going to be more poseable than the line art/DYRL make it out to be. It was never meant to be a super robot doing karate chops in out space - so I don't expect that. But - I do expect it to feature everything we love about the Macross - that means I want THE WHOL LEG COMPARTMENT TO BE ABLE TO COME APART IN TWO AND INSIDE THE LEG YOU SEE THE CITY - WITH ALL THE LEVELS, AND THE PRETTY HOUSES, AND NYAN NYAN RESTAURANT.

Basically - if this thing DOESN'T have the Nyan Nyan restaurant and the City in it (which would be SO EASY TO DO given its' size and given how big those legs are and how easy you could make the armor come off) - I'm not buying.

So - gimme some Nyan Nyan pictures please :)

Let's see what this baby can do.

Pete

But the Wave has an overly complicated transormation that made it ugly. I'm not sure if they did it due to the ridiculous tininess of it. The Takatoku TV version had a perfect transformation system, but the DYRL doesn't transform quite the same. Simpler is better and easier to accomplish with the larger size. If the VF-1s were 1/32 scale you wouldnt need the swing bar... it'll probably be able change more accurately.

But the Wave has an overly complicated transormation that made it ugly. I'm not sure if they did it due to the ridiculous tininess of it. The Takatoku TV version had a perfect transformation system, but the DYRL doesn't transform quite the same. Simpler is better and easier to accomplish with the larger size. If the VF-1s were 1/32 scale you wouldnt need the swing bar... it'll probably be able change more accurately.

I would probably say the tiny size has something to do with the transformation. Having a wave version, I would say they packed too much detail into that size. However with this large prototype from yammie I hope the can make it more accurate for the transformation. I'm looking forward to the yamato dyrl movie one simply because they never had a movie macross toy. For those tv fans there is always the '80's version. Who knows they might make a tv one also.

Okay, maybe I've been scrolling/skimming way toooo fast, but can someone update me on WTF this is? I know, it's the SDF...

But, what company is making it? When is it coming out? And what is the speculation on the pricing.

Now, this, I'd pay for $300 for. Totally bad ass.

Thanks in advance!!!

But, what company is making it? When is it coming out? And what is the speculation on the pricing.

Toynami. Next month. 600 USD, but only 200 USD if you buy Shadow Chronicles on DVD and find the hidden code in the black hole that is sucking the SDF-1 into it.

Pete

600!!!

WOW! How tall is this thing in VOLTRON mode (hehe)!

Inches if possible. I'm one of those dumb filipinos who thinks a scale is one of those things you stand on after eating adobo.

Thanks, man!

600.... crap. That's a chunk. That's Peter North chunk.

EDIT: Wait, that was a joke, wasn't it? I just realized the thread said Yamato.

Edited by fifbeat

EDIT: Wait, that was a joke, wasn't it? I just realized the thread said Yamato.

Oh, that's just a typo.

It's all part of Toynami's new 1/2000 line. We'll be getting Haydonite fighters next.

There's even talk that they'll produce a 1/2000 black hole for your SDF-1 to hover perilously close to.

Pete

So look at this Yamato toy....

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1245

I know it is not a figure of a transforming Mecha. Rather it is a doll that is 50cm tall and is costing 56,800 JPY.

What am I getting at? Well, that this SDF-1 may be quite expensive. I HOPE that it is more around $250 range and NOT the $500 range because then I could Consider buying one but even at $250 (plus shipping) it would be more money than I have ever spend on a single toy (collectible figure).

Silly Fif. No one comes to MWF for actual cited information. People only come here to bash, complain, pity themselves for being broke, and create huge speculation or criticism over something they know nearly nothing about. :)

But really, it's Yamato, no one knows the real price I don't think, although it seems that many have just tacked on a value with sheer confidence... although the guesses range from 250-700. Apparently it will come out about a year from now.

Cent: Thanks for the info, man. That’s what I was looking for. 200-700.... man... you know, if they’re smart, and know Macross collectors are not the richest guys, they’ll make it no more than $250-300. Looks good. Glad to see they’re coming out with a good sized SDF.

anime52k8: No, not new here. Been here for a few years. I just don’t visit as much as everyone does -- but I do visit at least once a month. Just not very active. I’m a selfish little prick who gets the info, then runs... nothing wrong with that, right?

VFTF1: Don’t give Toynami any ideas.

I think the ones suggesting 250-300 are merely projecting their wishes... I would not be surprised if it is far far from reality.

Hey if you wanna roll over and pay US$500 or $600 without a fight, be my guest.

As I stated in my last post, chances are the price will be higher than $250. But what's the point in letting the seller know how much you're willing to spend? Why go in mentioning your maximum amount or a high figure?

That's a stupid business practice to follow!

Would you do that going into a car dealership?

Would you do that when trying to buy a house?

Do you go into Texas Hold 'Em game, announcing to everyone at the table, "Hey I'm going All-In with suited 10-J."

Remember, we're only dealing with 2-feets worth of plastic here. The BMF is probably the same size as the Yammie SDF-1 will be, and yet the BMF was only priced max at around $150 to $160. The GI Joe Phantom X-19 jet is well over 2 feet long, has moveable parts and stuff, and, even factoring in inflation, it would still be priced well less than $100.

Yes, I realize there's the whole transformation thing going on that would up the price of the SDF-1. But again, I cite the above examples to point out that the price can be estimated downward.

But if you guys just love paying higher prices for things, be my guest. :rolleyes:

We all have to keep in mind that this is also just their prototype. This thing could turn into vaporware just like the 1/60 Monster if the economy doesn't reflect a good time to dump something this big/expensive onto the open market. Making it some sort of exclusive/limited item would further jack the price up, so again, that'd be a case of Yamato shooting itself in the foot.

Or...

As a prototype, this may NOT be the final size/scale and Yamato may very well rescale it accordingly. This used to be a common practice with American toy companies, at any rate...at least before everything started being roto-cast or done in CAD. If this thing isn't even scheduled to hit the streets until this time NEXT YEAR, then that tells me that Yamato hasn't even begun to tool up to start any kind of mass-production of this beast. Even the box its supposed to come in is nothing more than a mockup at this point. But until we get more info or confirmation from someone at Yamato, everything and anything we discuss about the SDF-1 is going to be pure speculation.

As for the projected MSRP of 50,000 yen, that was started based on a comment that was made by a Yamato rep during the unveiling of the SDF-1---saying that they'd like to keep it in the "neighborhood of" 50k yen. Whether this is going to be the final price, we have no idea at this early stage, and neither does Yamato...yet. Hell, it could be cheaper or more expensive, depending on all the extras and gimmicks Yamato decided to cram into it. And we MWers probably won't help that situation much either: if it doesn't come with everything including light-up Main Cannon Effect, a soundchip able to play the entire 6-and-a-half-minute DYRL? song DYRL to TV color-change paint job and built-in cupholder, we'll gripe about it not having enough gimmicky stuff to warrant the price; or it'll be loaded with so many gimmicks that most of us will consider them outright cheesy...and therefore will pass on it for that reason alone. lol I'm just going to sit back and ride the wave (no pun intended) of speculation until we get some concrete info.

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Remember, we're only dealing with 2-feets worth of plastic here. The BMF is probably the same size as the Yammie SDF-1 will be, and yet the BMF was only priced max at around $150 to $160. The GI Joe Phantom X-19 jet is well over 2 feet long, has moveable parts and stuff, and, even factoring in inflation, it would still be priced well less than $100.

Why bring up 20 years old toys that target kids? They are not comparable to these "completed model" targeting adult collectors. If I go to the other extreme end we can compare with these fine examples from Bandai:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN954816

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955024

And that would be silly too. Yamato has a long enough history for us to guess how they will market this thing.

The biggest problem I hear from their customers in HK about this SDF-1 is not price, but they don't have room for it and expected reaction from their wife.

$500 is actally a lot of money for any toy. we're just used to seeing these $200+ priced toys that we've become desensitized to the outrageous pricing by manufacturers and their vendors. it doesn't take a genius to figure out that these toy companies/vendors are taking advantage.

if you compare it to any similar priced item(including non-toys), do you think its worth $500? and itouch is less, and iphone is less, a flatscreen TV is less, the xbox/ps3/wii is less, you can get a decent desktop/laptop for the same price!

i don't care what the thing does(outside of an actual fold manuver) its not worth $500 in my eyes. tooling, molds, R&D, all the BS involved with getting it made, should not equal a car payment for a frickin mercedes benz!

toy prices have been getting out of hand for a while now and i'm over it.

i really don't understand how some of you guys are still on it?

i love macross as much as the next guy and it holds a special place in my heart but is this stuff really worth it?

not to get all hippy on you guys but you could feed a kenyan family of 5 for a year for $500, instead some of us choose to own a toy. it just seems ridiculous.

sorry for the rant.