Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

I missed out on much of the old postings, whats the quality like on these toys? Other than the bent lasers, are they solid or do they seem fragile? I like the VF-25, but I'm waiting for Michel's unit, love the sniper rifle! B))

Edited by 505thAirborne

I missed out on much of the old postings, whats the quality like on these toys? Other than the bent lasers, are they solid or do they seem fragile? I like the VF-25, but I'm waiting for Michel's unit, love the sniper rifle! B))

They are the most solid Valk toy this side of a 1/55 Chunky Monkey. Personally I find them to feel even more solid than the Chunky because everything locks together so tightly in fighter mode, but that's just me. Regardless, you can manhandle it into it's various modes and not worry about anything breaking. Some overtight shoulders have led to broken screws, but so far that hasn't been a chronic problem.

They are the most solid Valk toy this side of a 1/55 Chunky Monkey. Personally I find them to feel even more solid than the Chunky because everything locks together so tightly in fighter mode, but that's just me. Regardless, you can manhandle it into it's various modes and not worry about anything breaking. Some overtight shoulders have led to broken screws, but so far that hasn't been a chronic problem.

It is the most fun I have had with a valk since I was 7 and got my Jetfire for Christmas. I have been following this thread for a while and I hear over and over what Yamato would have done different. Up until just recently when I got a new yamato valk I thought the fun was getting a migraine while transforming it for the first and last time. If anything I think Yamato should take some ideas from Bandai in the sturdiness department.

My yams are nice to look at but just looking gets old fast. Ever have company over and someone ask you to *gasp* transform them??? I feel like a deer caught in headlights!

BTW the lasers are a easy fix with some hot water or a hair dryer.

Edited by ATLMYK

Eriku speaks truth.

My yams are nice to look at but just looking gets old fast. Ever have company over and someone ask you to *gasp* transform them??? I feel like a deer caught in headlights!

Haha! :D

Better yet what if they ask if they can play with it? Or worse, they just pick it up and start fiddling with it!

Nooooooo!

Edited by Vifam7

That reminds me of my friend thinking he could transform MY VF-1, when i kinda had to jerk it away from him. I'd be afraid if he had done much more than just pop in the landing gear ^_^

Thanks Eriku!! I've been going back and forth on these VF's for a while, the more i see them, the more I like. Time to start saving some $$$!! Thanks bro!!! B))

The pure thought of a Yamato virgin trying to transform my YF-19 or heaven forbids the SV-51 gives me shivers.

Haven't even managed to transform the YF-21 yet. The sliding engines give me nightmares. It looks best in Fighter anyway.

pansy :p . it's not that hard, just fiddle with it a little and it slides just fine.

I wish I could agree with that, but all of my Yamato valks disagree. Every single one of them aside from a broken BP-8 (my own fault ... sigh) broke while sitting on my shelf. It's ... not heartening, though I love how they look, I rarely even think about touching them and it's a huge knock in my book.

The DX isn't perfect by any means, but it's the first valk I'll even think of going for if ever I want to transform something on a whim. Solid, tight, elegant.

VF25-2.jpg

Not bad at all. Just different. Some people are afraid of what's different.

It is also sad to note that "if you don't like the DX, you have a problem".

You must be a Yamato fans so you bash the Bandai DX; you are afraid of new/ different stuffs; or you don't even know what is good for you.

IMO, this is all about personal preference.

I'd rather see "Damn you! Sheryl/ Ranka is better" discussion.

P.S. I buy a lot from Bandai and I love the goods. I tell people to buy the VF-25 model kits whenever I can. Me no Bandai basher.

Geez, up to the 4th thread already? Well, love them or hate them, you gotta admit Bandai has managed to generate a lot of talk with these.

Quin, you must have a really bad luck streak with the Yamato stuff. Sorry, man.

It seems to me in most cases with broken yammies, they have either disintegrated on their own due to bad materials used/improper assembly at the factory or someone tried too hard to move something in a way they shouldn't have, causing a piece to break (like forcing the 1/48 VF-1 backpack too high). To my recollection, there are far fewer cases where a yammie broke due to actually transforming or posing a toy. If something is going to break it likely will do so on its own with or without your help.

In my case, my original release VF-11b left hip joint disintegrated on its own within a month of having it and leaving it displayed in a sealed display case untouched. The same thing happened with my VF-0A shoulder joints. They just fell apart on their own despite having been left in fighter mode. Meanwhile, both of my first release VF-0S have no signs of stress or fractures in the gray shoulder plastic after all this time and through various poses and transformations.

I'm in agreement with Graham. If it hasn't fallen apart straight out of the box or on its own within the first few weeks of ownership, it will likely withstand proper transformations, posing, and even swooshing around the room :p

I wish I could agree with that, but all of my Yamato valks disagree. Every single one of them aside from a broken BP-8 (my own fault ... sigh) broke while sitting on my shelf. It's ... not heartening, though I love how they look, I rarely even think about touching them and it's a huge knock in my book.

The DX isn't perfect by any means, but it's the first valk I'll even think of going for if ever I want to transform something on a whim. Solid, tight, elegant.

Not bad at all. Just different. Some people are afraid of what's different.

no, it's just ugly, and some people don't want to spend a hundred dollars plus on ugly.

of all my Yamato's, the only ones I've ever felt uncomfortable transforming were the old v.1 1/60's. even my old 1/72 VF-19A is still in one piece even if it is floppy.

I've never had a breakage problem with a Yamato that I can remember (except for the flawed first run Garlands, but Yamato USA sent free replacement parts for that). Some QC issues, sure, but I had a VF-0S for some time, transformed several times, and the shoulders were rock solid. All my v1 1/60s are still great, and all the 1/48s I've had have been great. Heck, even when I owned the original 1/72 Mac+ valks I didn't have all the problems that were "common" to them (such as the VF-11's disintegrating hip).

Anime, why would you be uncomfortable transforming the v1 1/60s? They were probably the most straight forward, simple and durable.

Vostok 7

I wish I could agree with that, but all of my Yamato valks disagree. Every single one of them aside from a broken BP-8 (my own fault ... sigh) broke while sitting on my shelf.

WHAT? Just sitting on the shelf? Methinks you need a new shelf!!!

I've never had a breakage problem with a Yamato that I can remember (except for the flawed first run Garlands, but Yamato USA sent free replacement parts for that). Some QC issues, sure, but I had a VF-0S for some time, transformed several times, and the shoulders were rock solid. All my v1 1/60s are still great, and all the 1/48s I've had have been great. Heck, even when I owned the original 1/72 Mac+ valks I didn't have all the problems that were "common" to them (such as the VF-11's disintegrating hip).

Anime, why would you be uncomfortable transforming the v1 1/60s? They were probably the most straight forward, simple and durable.

Vostok 7

It's more that I don't like handling them in general. the legs constantly fell off in fighter/Gerwalk mode with mine and I was always loosing small parts. (alternate canopy, that stupid plug in the nose, all the screw covers).

also, my VF-1J millia v.1 was the only valk I've ever owned from any manufacture (even including the multiple 1 dollar chunky bootlegs) that has had it's landing gear break. <_<

no, it's just ugly, and some people don't want to spend a hundred dollars plus on ugly.

of all my Yamato's, the only ones I've ever felt uncomfortable transforming were the old v.1 1/60's. even my old 1/72 VF-19A is still in one piece even if it is floppy.

I'm itching to buy a VF-25F myself to display/play. I still have my Yamato in box. Not willing to open it. If/when yamato comes out with a VF-25, i'd probably keep those in boxes too

Edited by anotheran

Just out of curiosity: Will Bandai fix the over-tight, exploding shoulder issues with Michel and Luca's valks?

What other valks are planned after those two are released? The VF-27? Cannon fodder VF-25?

I would guess they don't see it as an issue considering it's happened on a fairly insignificant number of them. Aside from that there isn't much to 'fix' other than to tell the factory workers to make sure they aren't over-tightening the screws...which I would assume is one of the standard guidelines in place anyway. The trick is making the factory workers care. ;)

Edited by eriku

Disintegrating shoulder issues aside, most Yamatos are far tougher than most people give them credit for.

It's sad that some people are actually afraid to transform them.

Graham

Hmm...interesting. But somehow all the broken shoulders, wobbly ratchets, floppy limbs, cracked hinges and stress marks on my entire Yamato valk collection speak otherwise. :rolleyes: There is literally none that I don't need to disassemble some parts to fix something. In some case, some are not fixable.

Edited by mpchi

The broken screws on the DX don't seem all that common, however, reports of one loose shoulder and one super tight shoulder ARE common. Not quite the same level of severity I agree, but I hope Bandai fixes that too.

Hmm...interesting. But somehow all the broken shoulders, wobbly ratchets, floppy limbs, cracked hinges and stress marks on my entire Yamato valk collection speak otherwise. :rolleyes: There is literally none that I don't need to disassemble some parts to fix something. In some case, some are not fixable.

See, I don't understand this. How do some people never have an issue, while others have issues with every single one?

It just doesn't make sense. Some failure rate is to be expected, we're talking about mass production here, but it always seems like it's pretty 50/50, either you have a ton of failures or you don't.

Vostok 7

What other valks are planned after those two are released? The VF-27? Cannon fodder VF-25?

I wish! The next round of releases (going by the 1st and 2nd runs of MF DX Toys (Jan and March)) should be in June-- which will probably be the last TV series releases before they start cashing in on the movie with more VF-25s.

I wish! The next round of releases (going by the 1st and 2nd runs of MF DX Toys (Jan and March)) should be in June-- which will probably be the last TV series releases before they start cashing in on the movie with more VF-25s.

That's assuming the movie versions are going to be any different at all.

See, I don't understand this. How do some people never have an issue, while others have issues with every single one?

It just doesn't make sense. Some failure rate is to be expected, we're talking about mass production here, but it always seems like it's pretty 50/50, either you have a ton of failures or you don't.

Vostok 7

There is middle ground, too. I would say I've had enough problems on mine to be cause for alarm, but it certainly hasn't been failure across the board. I've had some Yammies with problems, some without. I don't base my overall impression on my experience alone though, but my experience combined with what I read from other fans. If I read dozens of reports that Toy X is having Problem X, I'm going to be very cautious of that toy and maybe even avoid it completely. Sure there is a good chance that I will not have Problem X on my sample, but if the odds are even 20% that I will get a poor sample that isn't acceptable to me. The main reason I come to forums like this is to see what the buzz is and if I should check something out or avoid it.

That's assuming the movie versions are going to be any different at all.

The movie version will at minimum cause every MacF model to be reissued. Most likely with super packs for the VF-25F and S as standard.

Armored will still likely be sold as addon-pack for maybe 3/4 the price of the base VF.

That's why I am waiting until after the movie for the DXs. I want that Alto to have super packs without having to spend double the normal amount.