Macross Books

Penguin

Thanks for the info. Seems like I got the original with OUT 8 and the book jacket was hard.

Still have to get it from the girlfriend to doublecheck since I left it with her after the convention.

If it is an OUT 8, would you mind posting the numbers on the top right hand corner of the front cover (located within the small text above the two S's pictured here)? I'm still trying to pin down that reissue date.

If it is an OUT 8, would you mind posting the numbers on the top right hand corner of the front cover (located within the small text above the two S's pictured here)? I'm still trying to pin down that reissue date.

I've got an Out 8月 PM, and the date is Showa 59, August 10.

I've got an Out 8月 PM, and the date is Showa 59, August 10.

I'm assuming this was a stateside purchase, correct? Pretty curious then, since that means it took two years (Showa 59 = 1984) from the (commissioned) printing to move it to the U.S. as anecdotal evidence points to 1986 being the year of availability. This also means that, unless there was another reissue, that there is no 1986 reprint as stated on the main site.

Looks like there's simply a lot of unreliable and mixed information floating around concerning the history of this reference.

Edited by veffidas

I'm assuming this was a stateside purchase, correct? Pretty curious then, since that means it took two years (Showa 59 = 1984) from the (commissioned) printing to move it to the U.S. as anecdotal evidence points to 1986 being the year of availability. This also means that, unless there was another reissue, that there is no 1986 reprint as stated on the main site.

Looks like there's simply a lot of unreliable and mixed information floating around concerning the history of this reference.

I bought it this year on Ebay (from someone in Hawaii), but it MUST have been from the U.S., since it has a Books Nippan business reply card in it.

Will do when i get it back.

Will look forward to it. Any extra confirmation is useful.

I bought it this year on Ebay (from someone in Hawaii), but it MUST have been from the U.S., since it has a Books Nippan business reply card in it.

That would be a telltale sign. Something to ask would be whether it came with the SDF-1 poster or not, but it being a secondhand purchase could muddle things.

The next thing to check would be whether or not a OUT 8 printing makes reference to the first pressing or not and whether it states its own pressing issue number. (The gold books, TIAs, and novels do this for example.) The copyright info is on pg. 260 in the initial pressing, so, if it's possible, would you mind relaying any info there?

Edited by veffidas

That would be a telltale sign. Something to ask would be whether it came with the SDF-1 poster or not, but it being a secondhand purchase could muddle things.

The next thing to check would be whether or not a OUT 8 printing makes reference to the first pressing or not and whether it states its own pressing issue number. (The gold books, TIAs, and novels do this for example.) The copyright info is on pg. 260 in the initial pressing, so, if it's possible, would you mind relaying any info there?

Well, at the bottom of the indicia, it's got a copyright of 1983, but as for the rest of it, it's merely "Monthly OUT, '84 August, Showa 59 August 10, Volume 8, Number 12."

No mention of the first pressing.

Kind of a shame, since it would have provided more concrete information about reprints if it was there. It is, however, consistent with periodical issue numbering, which is reasonable considering that OUT was a monthly anime magazine.

Thanks for the info!

Kind of a shame, since it would have provided more concrete information about reprints if it was there. It is, however, consistent with periodical issue numbering, which is reasonable considering that OUT was a monthly anime magazine.

Thanks for the info!

You're welcome.

And no, it didn't come with a poster, but, as you say, that doesn't mean it didn't ORIGINALLY come with one.

Got my Perfect Memory back. Out 8 with the stripes, ships and mechs on the cover in silver paint/ink.

Veffidas,

I got pretty much the same with what Gubaba had on the details you were looking for. I'd take pics when I get hold of a decent cam. Too bad I never took note of who I got it from so I could ask if it once had a poster with it.

Edited by miked01

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, quick question, can all of you who have the Macross 7 animation materials book scan the binder of the outer cover for me? I want to see if it's orange or yellow. I bought mine a while ago and saw that it was yellow instead of orange. I'm wondering if mine was yellowed before I bought it or if it actually comes yellow. This is the book I'm talking about:

tiasmacross7animationmaterialsf.jpg

let me know if you can help! Thanx!

Edited by BoBe-Patt

Someone has some infos about this doujin?

I unfortunately don't have any info on the book, but I have seen it pop up from time to time.

hey guys, quick question, can all of you who have the Macross 7 animation materials book scan the binder of the outer cover for me? I want to see if it's orange or yellow. I bought mine a while ago and saw that it was yellow instead of orange. I'm wondering if mine was yellowed before I bought it or if it actually comes yellow. This is the book I'm talking about:

I just realized you meant the spine when you mentioned "binder." The front cover, back cover, and spine of the dust jacket are the same color. It should be uniform throughout.

Here's a photo of the book taken without flash and you can make out that the spine is the same color (since I initially misunderstood, I didn't take the right picture):

m7animat.jpg

The spine being yellow pretty much means that it was sitting on a bookshelf among other books with prolonged exposure to (sun)light.

Edited by veffidas

I unfortunately don't have any info on the book, but I have seen it pop up from time to time.

I just realized you meant the spine when you mentioned "binder." The front cover, back cover, and spine of the dust jacket are the same color. It should be uniform throughout.

Here's a photo of the book taken without flash and you can make out that the spine is the same color (since I initially misunderstood, I didn't take the right picture):

The spine being yellow pretty much means that it was sitting on a bookshelf among other books with prolonged exposure to (sun)light.

Sweet. Thanx for the info veffidas. Damn, I didn't know that was the case. Looks like I may have to find me another one. And yours has the obi? That obi of yours looks so flushed with the book that it looks like it's part of the book.

Sweet. Thanx for the info veffidas. Damn, I didn't know that was the case. Looks like I may have to find me another one. And yours has the obi? That obi of yours looks so flushed with the book that it looks like it's part of the book.

Yep, that's the obi. You can see a bit of orange of the dust jacket peeking out near the bottom.

The Macross 7 books did a pretty good job of integrating the obi with the cover art. The obi for the Miss Macross 7 Roman Album shows a different (before) scene of Mylene and Gubaba than the dust jacket, which shows the after scene. I'll probably eventually need to get a copy of it, although the material inside is rather immature.

Edited by veffidas

I have a quick question regarding the M7 artbooks... I own the M7 Animation materials and it lacks of any lineart about cars or general vehicles and background art/design. For those who owns it: does the TIA M7 book has any of this or there is any other artbook that has it? Thanx!

Martin

Yep, that's the obi. You can see a bit of orange of the dust jacket peeking out near the bottom.

The Macross 7 books did a pretty good job of integrating the obi with the cover art. The obi for the Miss Macross 7 Roman Album shows a different (before) scene of Mylene and Gubaba than the dust jacket, which shows the after scene. I'll probably eventually need to get a copy of it, although the material inside is rather immature.

that's funny that you mention the Miss Macross 7 Roman Album book, I just got mine in! I usually don't buy small books but I just had to get it since there's very few mac7 books out there that are worth getting. Thanx for the info about the TIA Mac 7 book. I'ma have to fin d myself a new copy just to have it mint. ^_^

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My second copy of the book has a yellowed cover, particularly the spine. That's called sun bleaching. As you've seen in the posted pick the original book was orange... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, just wondering if there's anywhere online where I can sample Macross art books? I'm looking to get a few but am not sure where to start. I'm really only interested in artbooks about the mechas, not the ones with the human cast so muhc.

I should mention that I've already checked out the artbooks on the main page but am not a B&W fan so would only be interested in colour

Edited by STL

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, just wondering if there's anywhere online where I can sample Macross art books? I'm looking to get a few but am not sure where to start. I'm really only interested in artbooks about the mechas, not the ones with the human cast so muhc.

I should mention that I've already checked out the artbooks on the main page but am not a B&W fan so would only be interested in colour

Then you may want to get the Shoji Kawamori Mecha design book. It's got some in color, but I'm afraid what you're looking for, isn't a big selection. As far as blk and wht (assuming that's the B&W) that's an odd request. The best lineart you'll find is all gonna be in non-color.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the 1st volume of Macross the First at Kinokuniya last night for 9 bucks. I already had half of it thanks to owning Macross Ace 1, but oh well, it's still nice. I've never wanted to be a weird looking rabbit so much in my life thanks to that cover.

Almost got the Sheryl Nome book, but was shot three bucks and it would've seemed odd passing up Minmay for Sheryl. Damn that stupid Alto figure I wound up getting from the blind pack earlier.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I can't believe I missed that, and the winner of it got it for a great price. I would have loved to narrow the holes in my collection.

Sadly, I'm no longer able to check the auctions as frequently as I did before, so rarities likely are going to slip past me even more. At least I've got a picture to go on now. Thanks for the info, akim!

I finally got all my books together and out of all the boxes, and I didn't realize how many different books I had. While I don't collect the Doujin stuff, it may be a next option. Next month comes the new Valkyrie files book that should be for the YF-19. That'll be the next one I'm waiting for.

Does anyone else have any large book collections to post? It's always cool seeing what books you're missing and all, and the rare stuff.

I finally got all my books together and out of all the boxes, and I didn't realize how many different books I had. While I don't collect the Doujin stuff, it may be a next option. Next month comes the new Valkyrie files book that should be for the YF-19. That'll be the next one I'm waiting for.

Does anyone else have any large book collections to post? It's always cool seeing what books you're missing and all, and the rare stuff.

I have to go though all of mine to search for a couple of books I am selling, so maybe I'll put a pic together. I

s a lot so it will probably be 2 or 3 pics.