Macross Books

Penguin

Unlicensed Macross items and straight up bootlegs were taboo once too....now there are entire threads that more or less have legitimized these items....

The argument is often made that none of this Macross goodness is ever intended for a non-Japanese consumer...so I suppose you can also argue that any "lost sales" resulting from such posts are just wishful thinking...

Unless you are HG....but I doubt anyone here is inclined to defend their licensing claims...

:unknw:

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Unlicensed Macross items and straight up bootlegs were taboo once too....now there are entire threads that more or less have legitimized these items....

Which, really, shouldn't have happened given the forum rules... I've argued against it on a few occasions, in light of the obviously criminal nature of some of those enterprises.

The argument is often made that none of this Macross goodness is ever intended for a non-Japanese consumer...so I suppose you can also argue that any "lost sales" resulting from such posts are just wishful thinking...

On quite a few other sites, you could perhaps make a case for that... but this is a site where posting that kind of thing really could result in lost sales from people not importing the books, because we are exactly the kind of people who DO import goods directly from Japan.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 2 weeks later...

Received my copy of the Kawamori Expo book (thanks to you know who you are), and it is just fantastic.

There are so many new pictures, I forgot what it felt like to see something for the first time again with Macross art!
Armed with Google Translate on my phone it was very enjoyable to 'read' ha.

If you can find this 2nd hand I highly recommend it. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 7:32 AM, sh9000 said:

The Mikimoto book is delayed to 3/3/20-3/6/20.

... and people wonder why Cycomi apparently dropped Macross the First.

Mikimoto-sensei must be a Douglas Adams fan.  Mr. Adams once opined "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

• 1 month later...

I had the chance to visit family in Tokyo over the holidays - my first time back in four years, and only my second visit in the last 25 years (we used to go about ever other summer when I was a kid). I stopped by the Mandrake store in Shibuya, which I had never been to before, to see what they had as far as Macross books go. What an amazing collection of vintage toys and books in what felt like an old basement warehouse. Unfortunately, their selection of Macross material was fairly limited - some Yamato, Arcadia, and Bandai toys and a couple dozen books. The art books included about a dozen Master File books, but I have the ones I want, so I was looking for books from the This Is Animation series. I picked up the DYRL This Is Animation book, which I hadn't seen before, in what appears to be new condition for ¥1,600. The only other book they had that appealed to me was Kazutaka Miyatake’s Design Works book, but it was ¥7,000, and I had pretty much spent my entertainment budget at that point, so I held off. Kind of a limited selection, but I enjoyed the quick visit to a store that I've seen mentioned a lot here. I didn't have time to check out their Nakano location, which was close to where I was staying in Shinjuku, but maybe next time.

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

You can find many Macross vintage books on their online shop....

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/listPage/list?keyword=Macross this is animation&lang=en

I would love to make a trip to Japan and include a visit to several of the Mandarake stores....however, at this point in my 35+ years of Macross collecting, I think I would not find much I don't already have...;)

20 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

New Year...New Mikimoto artbook delay!

"Haruhiko Mikimoto Macross Art Book"  Estimated Delivery Date: 2020-07-03-2020-07-06

:rolleyes:

's it just me, or are the delays increasing in duration as time goes on?

20 hours ago, jvmacross said:

New Year...New Mikimoto artbook delay!

"Haruhiko Mikimoto Macross Art Book"  Estimated Delivery Date: 2020-07-03-2020-07-06

:rolleyes:

No problemo, I already spent my money on something else lol. After almost 2 years since coveting one, I finally ordered a VF1 Master File book. There were other choices of course but they were conveniently out of stock. For now I'll mark the Mikimoto artbook delay as noted :lol:

• 2 months later...
54 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Not gonna lie... I have a bad feeling about this one.

There wasn't anything special about Roy Focker's VF-1S in Macross... it was a perfectly ordinary Block 4 VF-1S that was no different from any other.

This feels like we're about to descend into Robotech-isms about Roy's VF-1S being a super-special one-of-a-kind custom job or maybe the original VF-1 prototype or some BS like that.

Also, this is the fifth bloody VF-1 book... I'd like to focus on something else for a while, like maybe the VF-17 and VF-171, or the VF-3000, VF-5000, and other 2nd Gen VFs.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Also, this is the fifth bloody VF-1 book... I'd like to focus on something else for a while, like maybe the VF-17 and VF-171, or the VF-3000, VF-5000, and other 2nd Gen VFs.

The completist beast within me will compel me to get it...and I will surely comply....but I agree.....there are other VF's that still need to be covered...oh well...

So what makes it to the wild first, this "So you thought you knew everything about the VF-1S" book....or Mikimoto's long delayed illustration book? ;)

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

The completist beast within me will compel me to get it...and I will surely comply....but I agree.....there are other VF's that still need to be covered...oh well...

So what makes it to the wild first, this "So you thought you knew everything about the VF-1S" book....or Mikimoto's long delayed illustration book? ;)

Yeah, I'll likely buy two copies... one for my own personal enjoyment and one for my translation group's library.

From the description on Amazon, it sounds like they intend to do something along similar lines to the Master Archive Mobile Suit: MSV Ace Pilot Log book that they did for Mobile Suit Gundam back in Autumn 2018.  The book was more about the featured pilots than the mecha, discussing the military careers and One Year War service of five selected top-scoring ace Mobile Suit pilots: the Principality of Zeon's Johnny Ridden, Gabby Hazard, and Ian Graden, and the Earth Federation's Tenneth Jung and Lydo Wolf.

That reminds me, I still need to order the RX-93 Nu Gundam Master Archive...

Good afternoon.

Hope you are doing well.

I found this old fanzine I think I bought around 2000-2001 in a bazaar. Yes, it has very poor paper quality. It contains sections covering the Macross sequels along with Kawamori and Mikimoto biographies. Also, at the end it mentions some Macross projects being considered at that time and some pictures of figures.

Regards

20200403_112526.jpg

20200403_112534.jpg

20200403_112556.jpg

20200403_112610.jpg

20200403_112629.jpg

20200403_112647.jpg

20200403_112701.jpg