Just watched it. Very epic! Old school animation ftw!!

It would help if I was actually well-versed with the key happenings in UC though. I'm not sure who are the factions fighting now.

Londo Bell, Earth Federation, Viste Foundation, Sleeves, etc

A tad disappointed about the unicorn's screentime which was as expected but overall pretty awesome 1s OVA. Can't wait for the next!

And wow Benarghe wasn't quite emo-annoying as i expected....at least he knows Kung Fu! :ph34r:

Sleeves is part of the Neo Zeon movement. Hence Minerva Zabi escaping from them. There were two Neo Zeon movements before. One was headed by Haman. The other is by Char.

Char Counterattack is mentioned. Also a legendary ace pilot who had a Haro, Amuro. Amuro died saving Earth in CCA.

Note the Viste Foundation is against the establishment of another Zeon. (Really anything with Zeon involves genocide.)

Who is Londo Bell then? Are they like TITANS of the EF or something?

I guess you could kinda sorta say that...they were Amuro and Bright's group in Char's Counterattack.

I'm getting the subbed version right now, but I kinda wish I'd spent the last few months rewatching all of First Gundam, Zeta, Double Zeta, and CCA...'cause something tells me this show's going to reward people who have good memories.

Sleeves is part of the Neo Zeon movement. Hence Minerva Zabi escaping from them. There were two Neo Zeon movements before. One was headed by Haman. The other is by Char.

Char Counterattack is mentioned. Also a legendary ace pilot who had a Haro, Amuro. Amuro died saving Earth in CCA.

Note the Viste Foundation is against the establishment of another Zeon. (Really anything with Zeon involves genocide.)

Don't forget this badass was also mentioned by name: http://ghostlightning.files.wordpress.com/...ght-kamille.jpg

As for the OVA, it was AWESOME!!!!! Loved the funnel action in this episode. :) Poor Jegans and the the new mass produced Zeta-like mobile suits, they got pwned pretty hard by the NZ-666. :(

Although I do have some misgivings about Marida, whose supposedly 18, and then she ends up sounding quite older than her age.

By the way about the Vist Foundation, if they did not want another Zeon, why entrust somehting as important as the Laplace Box to Zeon remnants? :huh:

Edited by grss1982

By the way about the Vist Foundation, if they did not want another Zeon, why entrust somehting as important as the Laplace Box to Zeon remnants? :huh:

This is hypothetical: Because the Zeonists are the ones who further the cause of spacenoids / newtypes, which the EF are stifling. But at the same time they hope they will not make another Zeon dictatorship. I guess its like, lets have true peace and democracy and not have another war and give everyone equal rights, sorta?

Although I do have some misgivings about Marida, whose supposedly 18, and then she ends up sounding quite older than her age.

You do know her backstory, right? This is not Epleo Puru who would run naked and chase Judau going puru~puru~puru~.

This is hypothetical: Because the Zeonists are the ones who further the cause of spacenoids / newtypes, which the EF are stifling. But at the same time they hope they will not make another Zeon dictatorship. I guess its like, lets have true peace and democracy and not have another war and give everyone equal rights, sorta?

The whole leave Earth to evolve into Newtypes always struck me as stupid. Since only a chosen few do become them. As stated they more associated with ace pilot.

The whole reason for colonization was overpopulation yet as we've seen in the Gundam trilogy what overpopulation? There is hardly any people left on Earth. Most of the population is supposed to be in colonies yet I don't see these capable of housing billions. (Yeah yeah my complaints with inconsistency.)

You do know her backstory, right? This is not Epleo Puru who would run naked and chase Judau going puru~puru~puru~.

snip....

Sorry to disappoint, but I've never read the novels. :unsure: Although I supposed I did read some snippet about her being a sex slave or something. :huh:

I only watched Gundam OO and SEED.

So I can not understand the homage in the UC, it is a real pity...

= =

p.s.

21'30", Roman Holiday's poster

My Audrey Hepburn, my angel....

What is the movie on the right?

The Fourth Tragedy?

I couldn't help to think this new OVA is influenced by the Macross Frontier.

The feeling of the city, the plot that hero save the girl in the air, some computer screen interface and using big bold typeface on spaceship exterior etc...

However, it has done very well. Great animation and action. NZ-666 is bad ass. :)

I like it very much.

Edited by azrael

The whole leave Earth to evolve into Newtypes always struck me as stupid. Since only a chosen few do become them. As stated they more associated with ace pilot.

The whole reason for colonization was overpopulation yet as we've seen in the Gundam trilogy what overpopulation? There is hardly any people left on Earth. Most of the population is supposed to be in colonies yet I don't see these capable of housing billions. (Yeah yeah my complaints with inconsistency.)

From What I have read about UC Gundam over population in the colony's was one of the driving factors for the Rise of ZEON as a counter to the Earth Federation gov which the people in the colony's viewed as corrupt only caring for the Earth bound elite.

Their is most likely a still a significant earth population.

Got up early and i watched it. I did REALLY enjoy it. Six months per episode is to long!!!

You see... that my friend is why I hate watching an ova or anime series that's still in the making. Mainly because nowadays it takes forever for a lot of good quality anime to be produced. I hate being left at a cliff hanger. Even if I have to wait a few months more at least I don't rage over the production turnout of the series.

You see... that my friend is why I hate watching an ova or anime series that's still in the making. Mainly because nowadays it takes forever for a lot of good quality anime to be produced. I hate being left at a cliff hanger. Even if I have to wait a few months more at least I don't rage over the production turnout of the series.

6 months is actually fast in OVA production time. it used to be you'd have to wait a year or two for some series to cotninue. Giant Robo was a major culprit, I think it was around 3-5 years from start to finish.

Tomino had said in one of his interviews that EVERYONE is born as a "newtype" somehow people in UC lose this status as they age. I think he inferred it's conventional life experience that caused it. He's also quoted as trying to get some distance from the newtype phenomenon as it side tracks the shows.

While overpopulation is definitely given as a reason you have to remember the earthbound elite have pushed a lot of this initial waves of immigrants into space out of their own selfishness. Zeta has the ultimate embodiment of this Earth born supremacist faction in the Titans (even though not everyone in the Titans was there for this political reason). As for the capacity of colonies, it doesn't really matter as the UC is constantly plagued by mass genocide. Whole colonies are totally vacant at times.

Tomino had said in one of his interviews that EVERYONE is born as a "newtype" somehow people in UC lose this status as they age. I think he inferred it's conventional life experience that caused it. He's also quoted as trying to get some distance from the newtype phenomenon as it side tracks the shows.

While overpopulation is definitely given as a reason you have to remember the earthbound elite have pushed a lot of this initial waves of immigrants into space out of their own selfishness. Zeta has the ultimate embodiment of this Earth born supremacist faction in the Titans (even though not everyone in the Titans was there for this political reason). As for the capacity of colonies, it doesn't really matter as the UC is constantly plagued by mass genocide. Whole colonies are totally vacant at times.

There's also the fact that being discovered as a Newtype in a Gundam universe means getting stuffed into a walking nuclear warmachine at a young age to participate in the war of the week, not a particularly favorable condition to pass on that trait on to the next generation.

I liked the Gundam X's deconstruction of the Newtype phenomena as a completely arbitary label on a new set of mutations for political and military purposes, and not (necessarily or even probably) the next step in human evolution as advertised by the various factions.

There's also the fact that being discovered as a Newtype in a Gundam universe means getting stuffed into a walking nuclear warmachine at a young age to participate in the war of the week, not a particularly favorable condition to pass on that trait on to the next generation.

I liked the Gundam X's deconstruction of the Newtype phenomena as a completely arbitary label on a new set of mutations for political and military purposes, and not (necessarily or even probably) the next step in human evolution as advertised by the various factions.

Now see, I totally hated that, and freakin' D.O.M.E., which is why X is my least favorite Gundam.

Hmm... ever seen the aborted attempt to use SD Gundam for Western markets...? :)

Doozy Bots? Yeah...that was pretty cringeworthy...

I think G-Saviour is worse, though, for three reasons: First, it was actually PRODUCED; a finished product. Second, it was trotted out with great fanfare to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Gundam. They had a major milestone to celebrate, and THAT'S what they came up with...? Third, it retcons Gaiagear out of existence, which seems like it should be much more authoritative, since it was written by Tomino himself.

Doozy Bots? Yeah...that was pretty cringeworthy...

I think G-Saviour is worse, though, for three reasons: First, it was actually PRODUCED; a finished product. Second, it was trotted out with great fanfare to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Gundam. They had a major milestone to celebrate, and THAT'S what they came up with...? Third, it retcons Gaiagear out of existence, which seems like it should be much more authoritative, since it was written by Tomino himself.

Nah we got "Superior Defender!" WHICH WAS SO MUCH BETTER :lol:

When comparing quality of Gundam you really kind of have to separate the LA, the kids shows and the standard series because it's like comparing apples and oranges or wuteva.

*cough*newBSG*cough*

Still haven't seen that, but I can only assume there was a major reform in Canada after the fiasco that was G-Savour. Although truth be told, i do have a soft spot for the movie, I have no idea why, maybe it's the fact that you can switch over to the Japanese dub for even more laughs.

Still haven't seen that, but I can only assume there was a major reform in Canada after the fiasco that was G-Savour. Although truth be told, i do have a soft spot for the movie, I have no idea why, maybe it's the fact that you can switch over to the Japanese dub for even more laughs.

And if you switch over to the Japanese track and shut your eyes, you can ALMOST imagine you're watching a REAL Gundam movie!

And if you switch over to the Japanese track and shut your eyes, you can ALMOST imagine you're watching a REAL Gundam movie!

I wonder though, as incredibly successful as I'm sure Unicorn will be, does it raise our chances for finally gettin GaiaGear animated?

I wonder though, as incredibly successful as I'm sure Unicorn will be, does it raise our chances for finally gettin GaiaGear animated?
Doubtful since Tomino doesn't have creative rights? I think in a way Unicorn is kind of a nod to Gaia Gear, whether it was intentional or not.