YS Flight - VFX

Pink Supervisor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmKccuQh3Fk

http://vierzero.blog53.fc2.com/

My apologies if this has already been posted and discussed but, has anyone else tried this mod?

It's a very well done mod for the Freeware Flight simulator YS Flight. Featuring the newer Variable fighters from Macross Frontier aswell as the VF and YF-19 from 7' and plus. The Newest version of the map featured in the video also has the Macross Quarter as a carrier object and City-25(?) at sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmKccuQh3Fk

http://vierzero.blog53.fc2.com/

My apologies if this has already been posted and discussed but, has anyone else tried this mod?

It's a very well done mod for the Freeware Flight simulator YS Flight. Featuring the newer Variable fighters from Macross Frontier aswell as the VF and YF-19 from 7' and plus. The Newest version of the map featured in the video also has the Macross Quarter as a carrier object and City-25(?) at sea.

I have it.

My opinions:

VF-25 is great, GERWALK physics work, and battroid ain't shabby. However, it's unwieldy at high speed; if you have G effects turned on, you'll be crushed and the game will end; and it tends to flip on a zero-radius axis when you pull back, momentum sending it backwards.

VF-19 is also good, same with everything.

The Quarter is cool, and you can set up on the service elevator, which will carry you to the runway. However, if you do this in the YF/VF-19, it'll explode as it hits the carrier deck model, because it's bigger than the 25.

The walls on the Frontier are all fluid walls, as you can pass through them. The ground is all runway-class, so it can be traversed at any speed, which makes it good for reenacting the GERWALK flight of Frontier Ep. 1.

Overall, I give this a 7.6324/10.

Download these... I think the handling is really close to the 'real thing'... I even was able to pull off a Yukikaze diving-backflip with the VF-27, so... Yep, very fun to fly!

I am having a hard time landing in GERWALK mode, though? Seems to want to blow up, whenever I touch tarmac?

~Luke

Download these... I think the handling is really close to the 'real thing'... I even was able to pull off a Yukikaze diving-backflip with the VF-27, so... Yep, very fun to fly!

I am having a hard time landing in GERWALK mode, though? Seems to want to blow up, whenever I touch tarmac?

~Luke

I always though that was one of the coolest and most insane moves I've ever seen, but I always thought he had to do it because he was switching the wings around?

Oh btw how are the remote SV-51s doing these days, any new insane maneuvers that you've pulled off?

~Luke

Keep gear down, slow down as much as possible, and GENTLY lower yourself.

It's easy with enough practice. Remember, though, that proper thrust vectoring is the "middle" notch, where the nozzle direction is pointed SLIGHTLY back. Keep your brakes on, slow down to 0 Knots, and slowly lower the plane (Works on the 'Scalibur, too) to the ground. Doesn't even have to be on the tarmac, though it's more forgiving if it is.

I always though that was one of the coolest and most insane moves I've ever seen, but I always thought he had to do it because he was switching the wings around?

Oh btw how are the remote SV-51s doing these days, any new insane maneuvers that you've pulled off?

RC SV-51? Where?!

Ah, thanks! I think the problem was I had the gear up. DUH! Ok, I'll try and see what I can do. I had the controlled descent down cold, so I think I'll be OK now.

My SV is a hanger queen at the moment, after doing the check flights on HWR's ship (which had upgraded motors) I got spoiled. :p However, I've got a 5 ft. long printout of the SV sitting in my room, and two 64mm dia. fans and matching motors to go with it. (The original is only 3' long.)

It'll be a long project that isn't really even started yet, but my aim is to hit 1:1 thrust/weight ratio, with full pitch/roll/yaw thrust-vector, and then perform the Yukikaze diving flip in real life.

Schizophrenic: Here's the RC-SV thread... Lots of info. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=15665

~Luke

Ah, thanks! I think the problem was I had the gear up. DUH! Ok, I'll try and see what I can do. I had the controlled descent down cold, so I think I'll be OK now.

My SV is a hanger queen at the moment, after doing the check flights on HWR's ship (which had upgraded motors) I got spoiled. :p However, I've got a 5 ft. long printout of the SV sitting in my room, and two 64mm dia. fans and matching motors to go with it. (The original is only 3' long.)

It'll be a long project that isn't really even started yet, but my aim is to hit 1:1 thrust/weight ratio, with full pitch/roll/yaw thrust-vector, and then perform the Yukikaze diving flip in real life.

Schizophrenic: Here's the RC-SV thread... Lots of info. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=15665

~Luke

Yukikaze diving flip? Like Cobra to stall dive?

Fancy dive flip, is there any way for us to play this thing online? VF vs VF combat with real people would be quite badass B))

YSFlight OpenGL (The best graphics version. Comes installed ith YSFlight 2000) does in fact have an oline mode. It supports PVP as well. :)

IAD, I see what you mean. It's a bit against the laws of lift, in that lift prevents a rock-drop nosedive without stalling first.* Cobra to Stalldive is essentially the opposite of that, in that the pilot pulls up into a Cobra, cuts the engines, flips over backward, and rides the plane back down.

The flip you're talking about, lift permitting, would freakin' own. What is that, a Rock-drop, half-Coben? Hmm, I can't think of the names of those now.

*Unless you have canards. Does your 51 have canards (Mobile ones)?

Actually, ALL of the versions of YSFlight have online capabilities. And I think the graphics depend on the computer you're using. YSFlight Direct3D has better graphics but lags more for me, and OpenGL doesn't lag but seems to have a BIT less detail.

You're flippin' 'em. OpenGL has the better graphics, but lags. Direct3D has next-to-none, but it renders directly from the 3D model, without any post-processing, like smoothing.

Also, mine says only OpenGL will work online...

~Luke

Do you have a video of you doing the flip with the 27?? Also isn't it considered a front flip since the nose goes downwards?

*Unless you have canards. Does your 51 have canards (Mobile ones)?

Oh yeah. Full-flying canards, +/- 20 deg. on the old one, and I want +80/-45 deg. on the bigger one. :p

Nope, I didn't get a video... But it's really pretty easy... Gauging when to tuck the nose under, so that you just come around and get your engines under you before you hit the ground is the tricky bit. (You can cheat a bit, and deploy the legs into GERWALK mode, if you're coming up short. I've got the legs slaved to the throttle stick on my HOTAS, with throttle on a rotary dial, to make things easier.)

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Do you have to buy the program or is it a free download?

It's a freeware flight simulator.

Do you have a video of you doing the flip with the 27?? Also isn't it considered a front flip since the nose goes downwards?

Well, it drops suddenly, whereas a front flip takes room. It drops the nose sharply (the look of that says to me TVC and Canards) flips the plane on a Zero Axis back into horizontal before finally regaining lift.

Oh yeah. Full-flying canards, +/- 20 deg. on the old one, and I want +80/-45 deg. on the bigger one. :p

Nope, I didn't get a video... But it's really pretty easy... Gauging when to tuck the nose under, so that you just come around and get your engines under you before you hit the ground is the tricky bit. (You can cheat a bit, and deploy the legs into GERWALK mode, if you're coming up short. I've got the legs slaved to the throttle stick on my HOTAS, with throttle on a rotary dial, to make things easier.)

~Luke

Well, with practice (And PLENTY of altitude), you'll eventually get it. (For extra points, practice with the props on a variable position plate, to emulate TVC. Example: TechDad's X-42 Deltastorm II)

As for GERWALK, my page keys are broken, so I'm thinking of remapping it to the bumpers on my Xbox 360 controller...

Props?! My SV(s) didn't/won't fly on stink'n props! Internal ducted fans, with functional vector paddles for pitch/roll thrust-vector for the win! :p

~Luke

I figured it was a foamie, so it used props.

Ducted fans are lame. Do you know how much more speed you can get with a brushless motor prop? Look at the Deltastorms! They're prop-based and fly much faster than your SVs. Even the Deltastorm with only one prop! It was the Deltastorm II that had 2 and TVC...

Speaking of foamies, I plan on making a foamie YF-19, using some lineart and such. I'm preparing for the arduous task ahead.

Now this is getting OT, but...

Oh, I know what props can do... I considered using a pair of vector-thrust pusher props, but I would have needed extension shafts in order to clear the thrust-vector paddles, and it would have looked bad, no matter how you cut it.

And let's face it, the only reason to build an SV-51 is good looks. :p

In defense of the speed, keep in mind, those are 40mm dia. ducted fans, running on motors 0.5" in diameter, and the SV is a brick, aerodynamically. In a cleaner airframe, one of the things can push 70-80 MPH. Considering they weigh an ounce each, hardly lame. (And the Deltastorm is hardly fast. If I go twin pusher, I'm after no less than 100 MPH, with 2:1 thrust/weight ratio or better.)

~Luke

Now this is getting OT, but...

Oh, I know what props can do... I considered using a pair of vector-thrust pusher props, but I would have needed extension shafts in order to clear the thrust-vector paddles, and it would have looked bad, no matter how you cut it.

And let's face it, the only reason to build an SV-51 is good looks. :p

In defense of the speed, keep in mind, those are 40mm dia. ducted fans, running on motors 0.5" in diameter, and the SV is a brick, aerodynamically. In a cleaner airframe, one of the things can push 70-80 MPH. Considering they weigh an ounce each, hardly lame. (And the Deltastorm is hardly fast. If I go twin pusher, I'm after no less than 100 MPH, with 2:1 thrust/weight ratio or better.)

~Luke

I apologize in advance for the OT (And we have to end it here, IAD).

Deltastorm isn't fast for having 2 props, but it's kinda heavy. The Deltastorm is a freakin' brick. It's blocky and heavy. I built one (Actually, 2) of my own, and it's possibly the heaviest foamie I've seen. Its earliest predecessor, something TechDad made earlier in a similar design, was much smaller and had no wing support. During one flight, he lost control because the wings were flapping in a high-speed descent. Had to be 150, or so, and he was about to jump out of the way (It was flying right at him) when he finally regained control and pulled back into a climb with 2 feet between it and the ground. Crazy.

Now, I'm kinda against ducted fans. It's a personal choice. They just don't seem as... R/C Plane as props. Besides, they're always more expensive than a bushless motor, mount, and prop, anyway.

Back on-topic:

I've been playing around with the RVF-25, and I've found that it performs slightly worse than the others, due to the ELINT fin. Also, its AA payload sucks ass.

I just noticed a bug in the YF-19 or in YS flight. If you afterburn straight and then gently start a tumble movement where you move the joystick into a corner and hold it there you can reach Mach 40 in about 10 seconds or so. No idea why it does that.

I tried all sorts of things. It does nothing. I will say this:

2.5M

68.72G

Are you sure it was the Mach counter or the G counter? The plane will not go faster than 3.2 Mach when I tried it.

That activity is referred to "raptoring" in the YS community, and works exceptionally well with the stock F-16 in the program.

And it gets me to chase you down in the M812 VF-22, wait for you to slow down, and then shoot you down.

And continuing on about the different versions of the program, OpenGL works better on my computer, but some of the details are missing at certain angles.

By contrast, when I use Direct3D, all of the details appear, but it takes FOREVER to load some planes.

I need to learn how to model planes decently...cause if I can, I'll try to make an SDF-1 with a cannon turret made for firing in Attack mode.

The armored VF-25 has just been released. That guy must be working nonstop.

And don't even think of trying to fly it in fighter. The complete lack of any lifting surfaces makes for lousy maneuvering.

It's a bit like spacefighting only that there still is gravity. Pure engine power FTW.

Edited by DarkReaper

The armored VF-25 has just been released. That guy must be working nonstop.

And don't even think of trying to fly it in fighter. The complete lack of any lifting surfaces makes for lousy maneuvering.

It's a bit like spacefighting only that there still is gravity. Pure engine power FTW.

But the game lacks a good physics engine as far as the plane's design must go. I mean, I flip the 25 backwards and momentum carries it against full thrust halfway across the map...

However, I'ma try the 25 FA

Yeah, the extremely powerful vectored thrust wreaks havok with YSflight's lift calculation but if you are gentle with the joystick and hold the Gs below 30-35 you can do nice turns without losing too much speed. However YSflight might even be too lenient. I doubt the wings on a VF-25F can generate enough lift to sustain 40g in corners.

Yeah, the extremely powerful vectored thrust wreaks havok with YSflight's lift calculation but if you are gentle with the joystick and hold the Gs below 30-35 you can do nice turns without losing too much speed. However YSflight might even be too lenient. I doubt the wings on a VF-25F can generate enough lift to sustain 40g in corners.

I've pushed the counter to 50+ Gs on a fully-loaded 25... I don't think the plane can even pull them. It takes, what, 20 to crush your brain? It takes about 35 to rip a plane today apart. 50+ would rip a VF apart, even with OT and such...

Personally, I like the stunts the 25 can pull.