Rideback

wolfx

I think this anime deserves a thread of its own.

Promotional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNDRJQzxN-8

1s episode is out on subs.

The world has been taken over by a technologically superior military force and forced into peace. (lol celestial being) But that is not what this story is about. This is a story about a girl who had to stop ballet due to an accident and has lost her meaning in life. All that changed when she got onto a Rideback, a humanoid 2-wheeled vehicle which translates her movements gracefully....ones she cannot do with her injury.

Where will the story go from here? I'm not sure. But the visuals are awesome...and I wonder if they can keep up the quality for the rest of the series. I also kinda like that this is a mecha anime that isn't quite about war and firing beam rifles. :lol:

Interesting. But I don't like the mecha design from the get go, and the so-called bikes are not even variable. You just pilot the mecha like you're riding the bike ala Dead Heat (anime bikes book pg 57). And mecha designwise, I like the ones in Dead heat better.

Wahahaha! I might check it out if the story and overall show gets good reviews. :lol:

I downloaded the Manga last week and just read it.

No, these aren't technically variable bikes (which are an obsession of mine) but some of the designs of the later ridebacks are pretty cool (one looks like a rideback version of my R1), and the story actually is surprisingly interesting and a little though provoking.

Haven't seen the anime yet.

Nice! Thanks wolfx. I couldn't find any subbed versions, but I like the story so far.

BTW, I found a few pics of a model of this sometime ago not knowing what it was, and since I'm a variable bikes nut I kept them for future reference:

ah, a fellow variable bikes nut...

Actually, I'm working on my first author comic book which features a variable bike designed by me. I'm not supposed to show any of it at the moment, but I'll make an announcement when the book is out :)

Anything you'd be willing to chat about about in private messages?

• 2 weeks later...
Subbed episodes are starting:

http://www.tokyotosho.com/search.php?terms...back&type=0

Only skimmed the episode so far, but doesn't look too bad.....

Just wrote this in another thread, but it belongs here:

Ok, just watched episode 1 of Rideback, with subtitles.

Wow. MUCH better than I was expecting. Really really well done, nice animation, and great music.

I would say, while being different from the manga, it is very true to the spirit and of the manga, as well as the character designs. Where it differs, in my opinion, is really just setting up more background information, and more character depth and development.

Man, I have to say... I REALLY WANT A RIDEBACK!

yeah, I'm liking the show a lot, even though it suffers from the classic, "newbie pilot is better than people who have trained for it" cliche, at least there's a built in reason this time.

Some of the matching between the CG and the hand-drawn stuff is wonky but for the most part it's pretty good.

That mecha sucks!!!!!!!!!! It's like a headless EVA with a crotch rocket shoved in it's back...weak.

Sure, if you're looking for a giant robot mecha, then I can see why you would think it sucks.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for something a little more down-to-Earth, then it's cool and refreshing compared to a lot of the other stuff out there.

If you love motorcycle riding, and like mecha, then this is something that kind of brings to life the joy of riding and the extension of yourself which it can be.

That's my personal opinion.

I'm enjoying this a lot more than I expected.

Just watched episode 2.

There are more changes from the manga becoming apparent, but these are really apparent.

More of a cutesy, comedic new sidekick has been added.

There is no real turmoil with the roommate about which clubs they should join, and their social standing on campus based on it (in fact, the roommate is supportive of her joining the Rideback Club, instead of being very negative towards it, and how people, especially "cute boys" will view her for it).

The politics is tone WAY down. Unless I mistakenly watched episode 3 instead of 2, they completely removed the scene of her accidentally crashing the political rally/protest on her first ride on the Rideback.

However, I'm really enjoying this. The more I watch, the more I'm getting into it.

They're also continuing to do a great job of showing the joy inherent in riding.

Ep 3,

Rin shows her stuff.....

her reaction time is faster than ACS

....she's a Newtype Rideback rider!!

The political drama is slowly surfacing.....and if not abit predictable, we already know who the Japanese rideback hero during the war is......

I find myself liking Rideback too. Rin's aforementioned Newtypeness is pretty cliche, but the show does handle it with some deftness, so I'll give it a pass. The animation, typical of Madhouse, is above average for a TV series. My only concern is that it doesn't linger on the "sports club/competition" aspect of the story for too terribly long. High school drama gives me a headache.

Edited by bsu legato

Thanks for the link, Morpheus. Also, it looks like somebody finally released a sub, for ep 4. It's not somebody that I've seen subbing it before. I guess they got as impatient as the rest of us, with all the other subbers dropping off the face of the planet, at once. (I know subbers have real lives, and all. It's just weird, that every single group subbing this show ran into delays at the same time.)

The I-Z translator for Rideback has been busy and on a trip in Japan, that's why no ep 4 and 5 from them yet.

Just watched episode 4. Haven't seen 5 yet.

Man, I am really amazed by how much I am loving this show.

Oh, and those white ridebacks look very very cool.

I'm still waiting for proper subs. :(

gg subs for ep 4 are out. Oh man Rin...you're crazy but awesome!!!

I just love how her hair and dress and Shouko's cloth flows as they are riding. Very nice animation. :D

Dowloading the hi-def of the fan subbed (but very professionally fan subbed) episodes 4 and 5.

Which subs do you guys prefer?