The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Hey guys thought Id ask you motor heads

I recently added Xenon Lights with the ballasts to my car. I also put in a new battery. I m not sure why but the battery totally dies. I just had CAA boost the car with the portable starter and it started. When I tried using booster cables no way. Would not work. I drove it around for a whille after the CAA Boost. Turned it off and on again no problem. But when I tried again nope. The door locks wouldnt even work. Is the the Lights??

I know its not the starter because you would hear the clink clink sound and a good push would get the pin to start. I mean nothing. Too me its the battery and its faulty.

What do you guys think?

I recently added Xenon Lights with the ballasts to my car. I also put in a new battery. I m not sure why but the battery totally dies. I just had CAA boost the car with the portable starter and it started. When I tried using booster cables no way. Would not work. I drove it around for a whille after the CAA Boost. Turned it off and on again no problem. But when I tried again nope. The door locks wouldnt even work. Is the the Lights??

I know its not the starter because you would hear the clink clink sound and a good push would get the pin to start. I mean nothing. Too me its the battery and its faulty.

What do you guys think?

the car only uses the battery when you start the car. after that the alternator powers the car. if the alternator is bad, then the car will run off of the battery instead but this will drain the battery (a jump will make the car start but you'll need a new jump whenever you start the car again until you replace the alternator).

xenon lights might be draining it whenever you start the car and before the alternator starts over (don't take my word tho'). i just wanted to throw out the part about the alternator (in case somebody's alternator ever does go out, it cheap to replace tho').

the car only uses the battery when you start the car. after that the alternator powers the car. if the alternator is bad, then the car will run off of the battery instead but this will drain the battery (a jump will make the car start but you'll need a new jump whenever you start the car again until you replace the alternator).

xenon lights might be draining it whenever you start the car and before the alternator starts over (don't take my word tho'). i just wanted to throw out the part about the alternator (in case somebody's alternator ever does go out, it cheap to replace tho').

i think your right

Thanks man!

What do you guys think?

bad ground somewhere? just in case, it a lot cheaper than replacing alternator.

A new supercar emerges from Spain. The GTA Spano uses a supercharged version of the Dodge Viper's 8.3 liter V10, generating 780 bhp and 679 lb-ft torque. Weighing at 2,976 lbs, the Spano goes from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 2.9 seconds and has a top speed of 217 mph.

mr_horse_as_a_gi.png

No sir, I don't like it.

I feel like in the last 10 years these little supercar companies are just coming out of the woodwork. They are everywhere on the web, but do they ever make it!? My prediction is they all tank.

I was at the Bentley dealer last week getting my car serviced and they had the Zagato $1.3 million car there. Seriously, there is just nothing special, but to make things even worse it costs Bentley $1.1 Mil to make!! Such a wasteful venture.

I feel like in the last 10 years these little supercar companies are just coming out of the woodwork. They are everywhere on the web, but do they ever make it!? My prediction is they all tank.

I was at the Bentley dealer last week getting my car serviced and they had the Zagato $1.3 million car there. Seriously, there is just nothing special, but to make things even worse it costs Bentley $1.1 Mil to make!! Such a wasteful venture.

Ever since reading about the design and philosophy behind the Mclaren F1 back in 91, every supercar that comes up since then has been....meh!

Whats the deal nowadays? Just grab some production big capacity V8-10-12 from BMW/Merc/GM whatever and turbo/super the lump before slapping it onto a body with hints of Diablo-Gallardo-F430.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

If it is really the alternator, your 'battery discharge' light will be ON whenever your car is running. Does it?

depends on the car. my corolla battery light did not come on.

Nissan GTR car review - Top Gear - BBC Autos

I think I would be jailed for speeding if I had that. I don't think its pretty though. Its just ok. The performance defies physics.

I think I would be jailed for speeding if I had that. I don't think its pretty though. Its just ok. The performance defies physics.

it looks alot better than the r32, r33 and r34. it can't stand how those older versions look, but they drive wonderfully in gran turismo. the r35 is not as beautifully as the european cars (italy and germany ftw) but it is a huge improvement. this video documentary says that they based the r35 on japanese robots from anime (the squared corners, ect.).

National Geographic Nissan GTR Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnmZ7La2vFw

National Geographic Nissan GTR Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4E8G6Bn6s

National Geographic Nissan GTR Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1gFYVDuFrs

National Geographic Nissan GTR Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcFG2cUzpc

National Geographic Nissan GTR Part 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKqkldRlpf8

If a new adaptation of The Saint (not that crappy 1997 film with Val Kilmer) is to be made in the near future, this is what Simon Templer should drive.

Not bad. Not bad. The thin pillars/roofline look like they'd offer little to no rollover protection, though.

Edited by reddsun1

I'm thinking about getting a new Mazdaspeed 3 since I need something practical but I want something with some balls. Went to the dealership and while I was there took out a new Miata, nice balanced car with decent power but I couldn't help wondering how better it would be if it had the RX-8 engine in it of even better the Mazdaspeed 3's engine.

Although my dream car is still the Nissan GT-R (there's something just so Japanese about it) I've seen some spy shots of the new Ferrari F500 and a computer rendered picture in Car and Driver and if it turns out to be half as nice looking as that cg pic I may have a new dream car. Any more info on the new Ferrari?

I'm thinking about getting a new Mazdaspeed 3 since I need something practical but I want something with some balls. Went to the dealership and while I was there took out a new Miata, nice balanced car with decent power but I couldn't help wondering how better it would be if it had the RX-8 engine in it of even better the Mazdaspeed 3's engine.

Although my dream car is still the Nissan GT-R (there's something just so Japanese about it) I've seen some spy shots of the new Ferrari F500 and a computer rendered picture in Car and Driver and if it turns out to be half as nice looking as that cg pic I may have a new dream car. Any more info on the new Ferrari?

The RX-8 motor is lighter, but there are many drawbacks to Wankel rotary engines. First, it generates roughly half as much torque as its horsepower output. Second, it gulps gas faster than a V8. Third, as Mazda is the only company producing parts for it, maintenance is more expensive than other cars. And fourth, its lifespan is shorter than a conventional engine. Because of at least two of these four reasons, many RX-7 owners have swapped their Wankels with Chevy LS1 (some have even used the newer LS2) V8 engines.

As for the Mazdaspeed engine, I'd also like to know how it would handle on a RWD setup.

Oh yeah I know all about the downfalls of the Wankel, low gas mileage, high oil consumption, low torque, and you basically have to drive it like you stole it. The engine in the RX-8 is much better than the old twin turbo RX-7 but it does have flaws which are just inherent in the Wankel design. I was thinking more about trying to keep the weight balance of the Miata and since the RX-8 is already in a rear drive car it should be much easier than putting the Speed3's engine in.

If Mazda could solve the seal and oil burning problem I see no reason why they couldn't go back to turbocharging or supercharging the Wankel. Gas mileage will never be a Wankel's strong suite but you are buying a sports car so mileage is usually secondary. Unfortunately Mazda has pretty much painted itself in a corner with the RX's that they have to use a Wankel no matter what, the new 3.7 in the new Mazda 6 would be a perfect fit for the RX and with some work could be a real challenger to the 370Z.

Oh yeah I know all about the downfalls of the Wankel, low gas mileage, high oil consumption, low torque, and you basically have to drive it like you stole it. The engine in the RX-8 is much better than the old twin turbo RX-7 but it does have flaws which are just inherent in the Wankel design. I was thinking more about trying to keep the weight balance of the Miata and since the RX-8 is already in a rear drive car it should be much easier than putting the Speed3's engine in.

If Mazda could solve the seal and oil burning problem I see no reason why they couldn't go back to turbocharging or supercharging the Wankel. Gas mileage will never be a Wankel's strong suite but you are buying a sports car so mileage is usually secondary. Unfortunately Mazda has pretty much painted itself in a corner with the RX's that they have to use a Wankel no matter what, the new 3.7 in the new Mazda 6 would be a perfect fit for the RX and with some work could be a real challenger to the 370Z.

the seal/oil burning problem is not a problem it's essential to the design, which is why you don't use synthetic oil either (blends sure, but full synth is a no-no). The apex seals are cast iron and the oil is burnt in the process of the seal sliding along the interior housing, if the oil doesn't burn, it gets pushed into portions of the housing that it doesn't belong and can pool and over time heat up and warp the housing or burn holes through it. The "problems" with a rotary are almost never design related, and the life span of a rotary is no less than any other motor with appropriate maintenance (i've seen FC's with over 200,000mi, original parts), the "problem" is the ignorance of the owners not knowing how to care for a rotary motor. You see this same ignorance with owners and turbocharged motors as well, but that's a whole other topic. As long as you put the right oil in, and check the oil regularly, a rotary is an incredibly efficient design.

Rotary's are much lighter, smaller, and have less moving parts (housing, rotor, and lobe), so from a design perspective, they're actually superior to your typical four stroke motor. The problems that A7 pointed out can be remedied (more so compensated for), the reason they develop half the torque that they're supposed to is because they have compression loss at low rpm. Often times this is remedied by turbocharging, and with the 787B Mazda went one step further and added an extra spark plug to help with full combustion and more precise timing. Why Mazda never decided to add an extra spark plug to the Renesis is beyond me, furthermore they no longer turbocharge the 13B which IMO is crippling the motor a lot. Mazda only has a handful of options they could explore to help compensate for compression loss at low rpm, they can make the combustion even more efficient with a proprietary direct injection system (which costs $$$), they can add an extra rotor a la 20B (which costs $$$), they can increase the the housing (displacement) so that the combustion chamber is bigger (costs LOTS of $$$), or turbocharge it (not so much $$$). With Ford's fate uncertain, i don't think they have the financial backing to make any further advancements with their long in service 13B.

If they turbocharge it, the fuel economy will remain about the same but you'd see a considerable jump in performance. Ideally, it'd be great if they employed turbocharging in conjunction with one of the aforementioned advances, but even with just turbocharging, it'd help the low end compression loss (which actually helps fuel economy since it doesn't have to squirt so much fuel to get the motor hopping), give it more power (torque included), and then the current fuel economy numbers would be very acceptable since they'd be about the same as other cars in its class. They did well with the Renesis by employing side porting which solved a huge reliability issue but this motor in its current state is designed to be turbocharged and they really need to bring that back if they want this to compete with anything else on the market.

Edited by emajnthis

I still never understood why Mazda never Turbo'd the Renesis. At low revs, even a base model Saab or Merc with their forced induction is significantly faster.

Ideally, I'd take it with the 2.3 DISI Turbo though. It'd be a great S15 replacement.

Having said that, a Direct Injection Twin Spark Twin Scroll Turbo 26B would be a wet dream.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

hell yeah it would, there was talk for awhile that they were going to increase each housing from 650cc to 800cc and make the twin rotor a 1.6L (or 2.4 tri rotor). The more rotors you add to the rotary the better it gets, the 787B had a quad rotor motor with three spark plugs per rotor, and generated over 700hp and it was Naturally Aspirated! If they went with a tri rotor 800cc per housing (2.4L), direct injected, tri spark plug, twin scroll turbo that would be the sickest motor/car in existence. Mercedes actually had a tri rotor they messed around with and got outstanding results but decided not to go through with it due to marketing concerns.

I Got an all acces pass to a race at the local track last weekend and though I'd share some pics.

The first one was already posted in the photography thread.

raceday.jpg

mg5095.jpg

mg5381.jpg

mg5554.jpg

mg5593.jpg

mg5733.jpg

mg5739.jpg

mg5791.jpg

mg5571.jpg

is this at laguna seca?

Nope, that's the Assen GP circuit in the Netherlands... The name of the track is visible in one of the pictures you quoted.

Laguna Seca is in the California wine-country, is surrounded by brownish hills, and rarely hosts European truck races.

Nope, that's the Assen GP circuit in the Netherlands... The name of the track is visible in one of the pictures you quoted.

Laguna Seca is in the California wine-country, is surrounded by brownish hills, and rarely hosts European truck races.

Hills? What's a 'hills'? ;)

I wish we had the kind of scenery vegas has to shoot pics at. Awesome pics vegas, nice car too!