The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

Lambo cop-car? "Intimidating?" HAH!! Just head through a mall parking lot--you should be able to lose them over the speed bumps. <_<

The Benz Brabus V12, on the other hand...

You've got to hand it to the Germans; they make some motors capable of truly mythic power figures. Too bad they keep choosing 2-1/2 - 3 ton luxo-boats to put 'em in. It may sound like heresy, but if I could get one of AMG's monster motors, like their 6.0L V12 bi-turbo [612HP, 737lb/ft! :blink: ], and stuff it in an intermediate size musclecar chassis, like a '67 or '70 Chevelle...talk about a screamer.

Well, in hindsight: I suppose a big-block Chev would respond as favorably to forced induction too...

Agent ONE should upgrade to this...

2009 Sector111 Lotus Exige

The Exige is a little too "track" for my taste. I think spoilers are too over the top. But I still might consider it.

I have seen a few with no spoiler and they look awesome.

Edited by Agent ONE

It's a damn shame that it's been almost 40 years, and Hollywood still hasn't been able to surpass LeMans. As flawed as that movie may have been [pretty cheesy acting, the Ferrari 'crash,' the race ending], it can still be argued that--from a racing standpoint--it's still the benchmark by which most anything else can be measured.

Ronin, while not a racing movie, had good car scenes. None of that 'shift-16-times-during-a-drag-race' crap.

I really, really hate the Fast n' Furious series.

Well, I think the original Gone in 60 Seconds (not the crappy 2000 remake) is still the Hardcore Champion of Car Chases. Unlike the cheesy CG on the new one, the original's 30-foot jump was real.

Of course, Vanishing Point (the original; don't know about the remake) and Bullitt shouldn't be missed, either.

Doesn't this TF&TF argument come up every few months?

The point is, the original wasn't a racing movie. It was an action movie first and foremost, just set among street racing culture. I have no idea where people get the idea that it's "disrespectful," because street racers are douchebags and don't deserve any respect. If you were looking for an authentic racing movie then you clearly picked the wrong movie, as street racing is boring as f*ck and the people who do it are idiots. In fact, TF&TF managed to make street racing and that dumb street car culture infinitely more annoying. It's an entertaining movie, but if you're the guy that takes cars SO SERIOUSLY you can't laugh at all the hilarity in that movie, you take this stuff too seriously.

Well, I think the original Gone in 60 Seconds (not the crappy 2000 remake) is still the Hardcore Champion of Car Chases. Unlike the cheesy CG on the new one, the original's 30-foot jump was real.

Of course, Vanishing Point (the original; don't know about the remake) and Bullitt shouldn't be missed, either.

AFAIK, the original Eleanor still bears the scars from filming that first movie.

I still haven't seen it yet, but I've heard the chase scene from The French Connection is supposed to be top-notch too. Can anyone confirm? Does it rank up there with the "greats"?

As far as movie-chases go: can't leave out The Blues Brothers. That has to hold some kind of record for most-movie-cop-cars-wrecked-in-one-scene/film, or something.

*Hey Jake. Jake. I gotta pull off.* :lol:

AFAIK, the original Eleanor still bears the scars from filming that first movie.

I still haven't seen it yet, but I've heard the chase scene from The French Connection is supposed to be top-notch too. Can anyone confirm? Does it rank up there with the "greats"?

As far as movie-chases go: can't leave out The Blues Brothers. That has to hold some kind of record for most-movie-cop-cars-wrecked-in-one-scene/film, or something.

*Hey Jake. Jake. I gotta pull off.* :lol:

Amazingly, Eleanor still runs, even after all that damage.

I've also heard great things about The French Connection. Will pick it up when I get a chance.

Also, has anyone here seen the original The Italian Job? I'm not gonna bother with the remake, as I don't care much for the new Mini Cooper.

Another chase scene worth mentioning is in the Jackie Chan film Who Am I?, where Jackie and two Japanese chicks are in an EVO IV being chased by a group of thugs in BMWs. In truth, it's not really among the best and it's cheesy at most, but still enjoyable.

For me the movie with streetraces is still American Graffiti. Love those late 50s cars. Only thing wrong with the movie it didnt have a '59 corvette.

Florida-based Mr. Norm's has a couple of performance packages for the new Dodge Challenger. Both the Super Challenger and Super Cuda are powered by 6.1 liter Hemi V8 engines modified with Kenne-Bell superchargers that generate either 650 bhp or - get this - 900 bhp.

The challenger is a pig, it needs 900hp to keep up with comparable cars in its class. The car is beautiful, no doubt, but there's no reason it needs to weigh almost 4000lbs, there's no special drive train or ridiculous luxury options that justify its weight.

::mumble grumble:: GM just updated the Camaro website and published final specs for power/MPG. The base model now gets 304HP. That's SLIGHTLY more than my car. It was rated slightly LESS than my car. Very annoying.

While my weight advantage should still make my car win any acceleration test against it, it is annoying to have lost the 'horsepower race'.

(It also bumps it up amazingly close to the LS1 F-bodies' HP) (and it got 29MPG highway on the new test---which beats a LOT of smaller cars with far less power)

• 2 weeks later...

Well...Since this thread has been bumped I'll update everyone on my driving courses :)

I'm only about 6 hours short of finishing all of my driving lessons. This means I should be able to sign up for the tests by next week and hopefully take them after Easter.

I have to take a theoretical exam and then a practical one. I'm confident that the practical one - where I drive around the city, park and do all that stuff will go flawlessly. I enjoy driving and I'm pretty good at it.

The one part of the practical test I hate though is that they have this "driving course" where you have to drive backwards while turning left and not hit a bunch of cones.

To quote that guy from the Wedding Singer: "They were cones!"

I feel the same way. I feel fine and do just fine driving with people and cars all over the place. Heck, I've even gone in reverse through a dense parking (and in Europe everything is dense!) - but I can't stand those frickin' cones...

And the theoretical test might be a problem too. I can only make 2 mistakes out of 18 questions. And they like to put "trick" questions in... although... whatever - keeping my fingers crossed.

As for what car I'd like to buy - I'm pretty much settled on a Toyota RAV 4. I don't know yet whether I'll be able to afford one (even used) - but that's my goal. Barring that, we'll see what's on the used car market.

After I have my license.

Which hopefully - God willing (please!) - will be by May.

Keep your fingers crossed guys. Then I too can be a full fledged member of this thread.

Pete

I think that explains a lot. In the US, (well, Iowa at least) you can miss like 1/3 of the questions. And there's no "skill" test at all really. There's a physical driving test, but little to do with "accurately placing your car".

If I had my own country, the driving test would have "can you go STRAIGHT down the CENTER of your lane?" as an early part. 1 mile, perfectly straight road. No touching the lines, no correcting your angle every 3 secs, no holding 4mm from the left edge with a half-car width to your right. Many people would fail. The second part would be "can you maintin position in a constant-radius turn?". It'd basically be a circle, slightly banked, 60mph----typical through-city interstate scenario. And no drifting into other lanes (the point of the test would be to see if you won't intrude on other people during rush hour). Even more people would fail.

If I had a country it would be illegal to make laws.

Edit: And just to stay on topic:

Yeah - I am really unhappy with myself for NOT doing my driving license when I still lived in the USA. But there was always something getting in the way...

Whatever. Like every other hurdle life puts before you: ya just gotta jump over it or drive right through it :)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Can US drivers licenses be transferred easily over to Polish ones?

All you have to do is go to your ...what was it called? DUI? No...that's the bad alcohol thing..oh...the...um...motor vehicles department? Whatever!!!

Just go to the place where they give out drivers licenses and ask them to make an International Drivers License for you.

Then you can drive all over the world with your International Drivers License.

However - it's harder if you're a US citizen overseas with an expired US drivers license - because you can't get it renewed through the US embassy (since the Federal Government doesn't issue drivers licenses, only the states do) and you have to go back to America, renew your drivers licence and then get an international drivers license.

It's possible that you can do this through snail mail with the help of your US Embassy - but I dunno.

In any event - I didn't feel like nor have the money to move back to America for a month just to get a drivers license, so I decided to do it here.

Pete

David, I think you should add speed control to your test! I really hate when I get behind a driver that can't keep a consistent speed. Is it really that hard to maintain a nice steady 65 mph speed instead of going between 60 and 70?